Old FF games like this...

Exoskeleton

Pale Flesh
Veteran
Gil
I think SE should make a final fantasy just like this game(ecploration and storywise anyway)

So far none of the FF's can stand up to this one. I think we should all take a stand to get FInal Fantasy back to it's good old self again! :yay:

But how would we do that? FF1 is clearly superior in exploration. And when it comes to exploring, it made you use your brain to figure out where to go next, something I find that if lacking in current rpgs in general. There is rarely any games like this anymore....

I wanna go back to when this game was popular :sad2:

Last edited:
Exploring? FFI has only a small handful of locations dotted around. I wouldn't necessarily call it 'exploring'. :wacky:

But yeah, FFI is an example of a FF game that doesn't hold your hand continuously to guide you forward (*ahem* FFXIII :ahmed:). Don't worry though, that new DS spinoff (Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light) promises to go back to the basics and emulate the old-skool FF games.

If there's a game nowadays that is closest to FFI, that spinoff would be it. It has a world map and a rather primitive FF story (14 year old boy goes to save princess from a witch). I hope that sounds alright for you. xD

As i do prefer the steampunk setting like in FFVI, i think it would be a way to bring new (or old lol) light to the series although i recentley purchased the PSP port and i got a bit bored

I played some of the first game, but I couldn't get into it. I played the PS1 games and then backtracked to 4, 5 and 6 before giving the very first game a spin. I guess that may have influenced me, since those games had stronger story and character elements that had held my attention. A silent party was kind of boring >.<

Although the first game can be unforgiving at times. I mean, PAY to revive characters? So mean xD

Final Fantasy Versus 13 should be like this or at least close to it.

the game that kinda reminded me of this great sense of exploration was FF12, once you get out of the city, there is this big world to explore from beaches, to open fields to caves to towns ect.

also old school games that had airships and boats to travel to your next destination like FF7,8 anf 9 ect.

I know what you mean, you enter a dungeon and theres at least 5 floors, and they're CONFUSING. The world map is gigantic and you have the free ability to go wherever, and like .Suzuna said, it shouldn't hold your hand like FF XIII did.

Square should make a game that represents a classic RPG. I've heard the 4 Heroes of Light will be like this be we can only wait and see...
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

I hear ya guys! Nothing stands up to this game. I thank the fans of this game for liking it so much back in the day, because now we have greatest hits like VI and IX.

Yes, paying to revive your party sounds unforgiving, but since you have to buy Phoenix Downs and pay for Inn visits, doesn't it cost just to HEAL them in all games, anyway? :)

It was a PAIN getting through the Marsh Cave (played the Origins version for the PS1, btw), but at least it makes you think. The game itself has you thinking the whole way, so you can only pat yourself (or your friends, if they helped) on the back when you finally defeat
Chaos

Seriously, I was stuck on my very first playthrough after defeating the Vampire. I had no clues at that point to know what to do next, so I restarted and found out I had to go inside his lair again. AGH!!

Yeah I actually just completed that level the other day ^^
I'm doing a re-run of FF I for PSP... I think it's so good I could play it a second time.

Back