Which Final Fantasy Game Has the Best Storyline?

Which numbered FF game had the best storyline?

• FFI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FFII

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • FFIII

• FFIV

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • FFV

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • FFVI

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • FFVII

Votes: 81 26.3%
  • FFVIII

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • FFIX

Votes: 48 15.6%
  • FFX

Votes: 65 21.1%
  • FFXI

• FFXII

Votes: 17 5.5%
  • FFXIII

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • FFXIII-2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's got to be Final Fantasy X for me. Emotions run high, a romance between rememberable heroes, and twists that shymlamadingdong would be proud of. Honestly, I loved every single part of that game.

Except Kimahri.

ERRRM, IMMA GONNA SAY FF1.

I really can't pick this one. Each of the story's focuses are so different!! Okay, I'll do this for different categories.

>>Character Development:
Tie between VIII and IV.
First off, you already have Cecil as this highly developed character right off the cuff, then he goes off to atone for his sins and have the most epic bromance known to gaming kind before Solid Snake and Octacon hit the scene. I really like that about Cecil - his values don't really change and he doesn't change that much in the grand scheme of his character: what really changes for him is how he chooses to relate to the world. This is a very good example of Man VS Self VS World conflict.
However, Squall's development in VIII has to be one of my favourites. He starts off as this whiny, selfish, unlikable kid who you can't help but pity. Then, as he overcomes trial after trial and opens up to love (parental (Edea), friendship (Orphanage buddies) and romantic[Rinoa]), he becomes a stronger person. Seriously: I'd take his smile at the end over Tidus and Yuna reuniting anyway.

>>Plot
This one goes to either XII or VI.
It's been said here already, but XII has gotta be one of the most realistic conflicts that the series has to offer. Why? They attempt to use diplomacy to overcome political conflicts, not shiny swords and magic. I mean, seriously - they used magic to destroy Yevon in X, and what happened? Chaos. (Er, realistically, that is what would happen - that state was ruled by its theology, and then POOF it was gone.) They beat the crap out of the Sorceress and President Deling and what happens? Er, nobody really knows. (What the hell happens to Galbadia after Disc 2, anyway? I think Seifer keeps at it or something... bah. Doesn't matter. I already proved my point.) Anyway - yeah. Realism. Its cool.
VI is just a totally rad story. I think the coolest part of that is how the characters relate to each other. That one also has a very engrossing story that keeps you hooked - there are so many secrets to every character, you gotta find out what's happened to them all.

Anyway, that's my answer. I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say XII, just for the realism. Makes it easy to relate to, you know?

When I think about a final fantasy. what I desire from the story is just what the name considers......A realistic begginning in which is almost possible and realistic....and as the story finishes....a worldy fate deciding battle between dark and evil to determine the outcome of all that is....thus "final" fantasy. This is what makes me choose 7 over 10...because regardless in 10 if they had failed to win...life would continue...just with a new more evil sin. But in 7 it was literally everything i could possibly want from a story...A band of thuggish rebels from the beggining..into a battle that would decide the fate of everything. I love the story, the characters and that is why I choose 7. It goes from the start and takes you on a wild ride that couldnt possibly change anymore.

I voted FF7, first game I played back in 1999... actually (it was before that). Aside from 7, FFX was my favorite.

Luckily I have FF7, 8, and 9 on my PSP

FF3 had the best story IMO. It was basically a yin and yang aesop with four kids thrown in to save the world from the overtipped balance. Also, the Job System was awesome.

I go with VIII and VII. Both feature a main protagonist that have had a "heavy" history. I personally like a good mix between character development and storyline mivement, in my case, both these games provided me with both.

There's my reason i think these 2 games have the best storyline :P

In terms of plot, it's an easy win: FFXII.

Now, I'm not saying XII had the best characters, or the best music, or the best setting, etc. But definitely, it had the best plot of the entire series.

In fact, as a game, it really was an odd choice for a "numbered" game in the series, since unlike every other game, it had a plot that focused on the plot as a primary, whereas the other games focused on the characters as a primary. Other games had remarkably better character development (such as X overall, or VIII in terms of Squall), but XII had the most mature plot line in the entire franchise.

If only the characters had been in their mid-thirties (well, all of them) it would have been perfected. Ashe was way too young for me to take too seriously, though her situation was a very mature one.

In fact, as a game, it really was an odd choice for a "numbered" game in the series, since unlike every other game, it had a plot that focused on the plot as a primary, whereas the other games focused on the characters as a primary. Other games had remarkably better character development (such as X overall, or VIII in terms of Squall), but XII had the most mature plot line in the entire franchise.

I agree partially with you. I enjoyed the mature plot of FFXII. It was also very political and dark. But I voted for FFVI. The plot in FFVI revolve around 12 characters, and some of them are really well developed. I prefer that a game focus on the characters rather than the story, but the story must also be good to keep us playing the game. I think that in FFVI there's a good balance between those two elements. Also int he World of Ruins, things become non linear and you can discover new stuff about (almost) each characters by recollecting them.

FFXII could have been #1 if the pacing wasn't easily the worst in the series.

The plot, however intriguing, lurches along in a most loose fashion. You'll get brief bits of story separated by long dungeons. Each story arc focuses on one or two characters at the expense of every other one.

Baltheir doesn't become relevant until halfway through the game. Basch loses all meaning the moment Vossler dies and doesn't need to be there until the end of the Pharos.

The fact is, the plot is founded on the characters and if it can't make proper use of those characters, it's not a good story.

That being said, it maybe the third best story in the series. The characters it does get right, like Dr. Cid and Larsa, were really well done. The storyline shift from political intrigue to battle against gods was also well-executed and smooth. It continued to deal with the theme of revenge and forgiveness.

I'd go with FFIX then X. I would say VII if it wasn't for the critical characterization failure that is Sephiroth of the present compared with Sephiroth of the past.

it was hard to pick between FFIX and X but I picked X, its the game that got me the most emotionally attached

OK..I think that this is the most beautiful and "ADVENTUROUS" storyline of all Final Fantasies..

""""A world called Ivalice...
An age when magick was commonplace and airships piled the skies...
Our tale begins.
As war looms on the horizon, the mighty Archadian Empire begins a campaign to subjugate its neighbors. The small kingdom of Dalmasca shares their fate.
Two years after its fall, in the capital city of Rabanastre, the people line the streets to wait for the appoinment of the new counsul from Archadia.
To Vaan, a young man living on the streets of Rabanastre, the Emprire is a hated enemy who took the life of his brother, the only family he had left. Vaan hatches a plot to break into the palace and take back the spoils of conquest from Dalmasca's occupiers.
He gets more than he bargained for when he meets Princess Ashe, the sole surviving heir to the Dalmascan throne, thought dead since the war.
The story follows Ashe, Vaan, and his friend Penelo, the sky pirate Balthier, and his partner Fran. Accompanying them is Basch, a captain of the Dalmascan army.
The adventure spans Ivalice and traces the mysteries behind the Archadian Empire's invasion."""""

I think its kinda MYSTERIOUS..

I choose FF9 as my favorite in storyline. The characters each have a deep storyline to each one (even the idiot Steiner), and there are many plot twists that keep you guessing. A princess who was actually one of two sole survivors of a summoner race, a queen driven by greed to the point where she, on several occasions, tried to have Garnet put to death; Vivi, a created black mage prototype doll learning about life and death; Freya, seeking the one she loves only to find him and find out he can't remember anything about her or his past; Eiko, confused by her feelings of loneliness and rivalry with Garnet; Quina...well, comic relief. Steiner, a goofball knight that's overly loyal, a good heart but very quick to judge; Amarant, a man who grew up knowing only how to fight to survive, learning about others; And Zidane. I have to say, Zidane's story seems to mimic Goku from Dragonball. A monkey-tailed alien sent to a planet in order to destroy it, but turns out to be the planet's savior. But still, the overall story is pure bliss, and an emotional roller coaster at times.

Final Fantasy VI had the best storyline. I could go on for hours and hours, hours and hours, but that would take many posts to fully express why I feel as if its the best and has the best storyline.

Second would most definitely be FF5. I just adore the storyline!

Third? That would be FF9. I just started playing it and I have fallen in love. I haven't had this much fun on a FF title since FF6 & 8. Plus, the card battling is great without ripping off FF8's and making it bad. Its actually really fun!

And FF9 has some great humor and great characters! Vivi, Eiko, Beatrix, Steiner, Dagger...they are all great, except those two clowns *shivers* they creep me out.

Fourth would be FF12, fifth would be FF4, FF3 next, FF8, FF7 and then FF10, which is great as well. :)

In my opinion, Final Fantasy IX has the best storyline. It always had you guessing and kept you interested. It was also intriguing for me. Unlike the other Final Fantasy games, each character in Final Fantasy IX has their own stories, secrets and thoughts and this gives the game a lot of depth.

The FMVs were informative and exciting, and the ATM system (I think that is what it is called) gave the game a great and unique element. Being able to have an insight on the other characters was an excellent idea.

Overall, great game which entertained me all the way through.

FF4. Definitely. The whole game showed how easy it was to get absorbed into the storyline. I don't think many games compare much to FF4.

This is just my oppinion of course, tho.

I think FFVII will always be my favourite. Number 1 because of the story and characters. I wont say it had the best gameplay and definitely not the best graphics but the story outshone the other elements that it lacked.

But that's just my opinion.

I'm gonna have to say ffx.. That game was filled with twists and turns the whole way.. Everything they believed in and stood for turned out to be a lie.. THe twist in the ending the emotional goodbye. Just great..

I loved ffvii, but the story was a little to complicated for me to understand lol.. I have quite a slow brain.. Sometimes in that game I'd just kind of have to nod my head and agree with what was going on.

:starwars:I dont see why everyone thinks FF7 has the best storyline. I would say it has one of the best battle systems and appealing characters...but Im going to have to go with FF8/FFX as the games with the best storyline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dun laugh...XIII

I really REALLY liked the storyline of XIII. It was the only story which actually managed to make me cry. I loved how it all came together, the links between the characters. The closeness, the rivalries, its all really good to me. There was so much drama in that story and it really made me wanna keep playing.

I played the first disc of FFVII when I was younger, and put it down when Aeris died, then I couldn't be bothered playing for another 2 discs :wacky:

Back