Which Final Fantasy Game Has the Best Storyline?

Which numbered FF game had the best storyline?

• FFI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FFII

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • FFIII

• FFIV

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • FFV

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • FFVI

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • FFVII

Votes: 81 26.3%
  • FFVIII

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • FFIX

Votes: 48 15.6%
  • FFX

Votes: 65 21.1%
  • FFXI

• FFXII

Votes: 17 5.5%
  • FFXIII

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • FFXIII-2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
VI, VII, and X have the best, but I voted for X.
VII was a lot of fun, and it's my favorite, but I will honestly admit that there are parts in the story/game that I didn't really like and it just made me feel bored -_-. VI was so sweet and beautiful, I just loved it, if I had never played X, I would have voted for VI.

Now to X: I love everything about it, it has one of those stories that have a simple synopsis that you'd find on the back or the front flap of a book, but the synopsis is not as exciting as the actual thing. I can't count how many times I have laughed and cried playing X, the story isn't so extreme, but throughout the game there's so many twists and turns that just make it so brilliant! Such a beautiful game with lovely characters in a story that really brings your heart to life. ^_^
(holy cow, that sounds like a movie review of a chick flick or something :O)

As far as I'm concerned, 7's original story had a lot of gaps in it, but for nostalgic reasons it gets my vote, same with 8. But as far as actual plot goes, X is by far the best game storyline wise. VI had an excellent story, and I cant remember the story from games earlier than that anymore.

But I am very very impressed with 13's story.

But I am very very impressed with 13's story.

Thats the first time Ive ever heard that...

And I will NEVER understand what is so good about X's story. I didnt like any of the characters except for Auron and Jecht, all the others were annoying. I thought "Sin" was a really weird concept, and Seymour was lame.

Final Fantasy Tactics beats the numbered games stories easily.

I enjoyed XII's story the most out of the main series.

This, the compelling story of tactics easily blew me away much more than any of the numbered stories. I really wish FF Tactics would be included since the thread title doesnt say numbered specifics. If I had to choose based on options I'd say either 6 or 8....but I voted 8 by habit so...

Believe it or not I really enjoyed XIII's story. Why? Because SE totally ripped off Marvel's X-men XD. Yeah word for word, there are arcs of the 700 (there are two main titles: Uncanny X-men which is currently at it's 530th issue and X-men Legacy which changes title every few years. It's currently at it's 240th issue). So you can imagine how quickly I attached to all the characters (except for Hope). To be honest, it's one of the only series where I wished there'd been more characters (X-men pulls these types of stories with over 25 cast members so it'd have been really interesting to have at least 10 or even 12 L'Cie, as a callback to XII's esper/summons).

My vote goes to VI. While I really liked X's story and hearing about the things surrounding Jecht, Yunalesca and Auron, I think I was mostly being swayed by the cinematics and semi-realistic characters and all that.

It has to be IX for sure, anyone who doesn't agree either hasn't played it properly, or is quite mad.

Honestly if you haven't given it a chance, take some time to play it properly, because you're missing out on something special.

People tend to judge this game on it's supposed lightheartedness, or it's character designs or even synopsis or reviews, they seem to get this idea this game is less serious or mature than the others, even childish (Just because the protagonist isn't whiny, apathetic or emotional.. Zidane has just as much, if not more reasons to be depressed than Cloud, Squall, Tidus etc.), and they couldn't be more wrong.

While lighthearted at times, this game gets as serious/mature as any in the series.
The story is the most complete in the series, and it offers you pretty much everything you get from the stories of VII/X (except a whiny skirt protagonist), and pulls it off with better characters, music and gameplay.

I could go on all day about why IX is the best but i doubt this will get read :|

VI: The main storyline wasn't that great, but being able to integrate all 20 some character's story in the process was good. A little limited by the SNES though :(

VII: Good story...but started to fail for me when Sephiroth's final plan was revealed. That was like foreplay then blueballs. Damn you Sephiroth and your one-track mind.

VIII: Enjoyed the beginning a lot as well as the concept of SEED. Problem surfaced when the answer for everything became "kill the queen." Goal of game? Kill the Queen. Purpose of SEED? Kill the Queen. :/

IX: I don't really remember the story of this game. I remember combining two planets, Kuja and monkey man being vessels for life, vivi being made of mist, and other weird stuff. Well I only played this game once, so maybe it's time for a once over sometime.

X: Very simple storyline; however, presentation was the best out of all the FF's. I enjoyed watching the cutscenes and CGI more than actually playing the game, and that's not necessarily a bad thing when those take up 70% of gameplay.

XII: Modernized storyline where the characters are a bit lost in the entire thing. Why is van in the party? Because he wants to be a sky pirate!...really? It seemed like the individuals had less of an impact on the events than other FFs. Not really a "final fantasy" but still a good storyline.

XIII: I thought Hope's mom was hot. Hope should have died and his mom should have been in the party. Then I might've played a bit longer.

I personally voted for VI. I remember the first time I played it I wasn't interested because I got a hack (it was called Expert Mode, 2... So yeah, super expert xD) but playing the normal game a while afterwards showed me the true FF VI. The story was absolutely amazing for me, even though they had many, many characters, I felt very close and connected with most of the characters, and how original the story was also helped me make this game my favorite. There's so many twists and things you learn during the game that just build up, it's amazing.
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

I think FF Tactics does of any FF game.Ramza is such an epic character and the plot reminds me of the the War of the Roses or perhaps Oliver Cromwell and the struggle between the king and Parliament.
Of course there weren't any Lucavi around back then rotfl.

VI is the best as far as the numbered games are concerned.

I'm going with X. It's my favorite game of all time for a reason and a large part of that has to do with the overall story and settings. Like all Final Fantasy games that came before it the story starts out simple and then further twists and turns along the line make it a little more complexed. The quest of a Summoner in and of itself could be a Trilogy of movies like the Lord of the Rings and every character played their part well.

I think that VII has the best story the fighting for money at the start and then trying to save the planet and settle an old grudge even during the game the thing's you thought you knew about the character turn out to be wrong so it is my favorite by far as there is a lot of twist's during the game.

I believe Final Fantasy IV has the best storyline, otherwise it wouldn't be my favorite FF out of all the ones out already. But having the main character serve for one side considered evil yet struggling to stay good for the best of society is one of the best conflicts I think a protagonist has to face. Plus there are many twists in the plot that not even I thought I was going to expect. Definitely the most unique storyline as well.

I have to say that the FF7 has the best storyline..Its awesome..The whole storyline plus the characters are all lined up with the story in a good fashion..With wicked and frustrating bosses plus the insane Sephiroth

Gotta be XIII.
Although I haven't even finished it yet. I just get so involved in it! I cried at the bit with Sazh. :'(

Gotta be XIII.
Although I haven't even finished it yet. I just get so involved in it! I cried at the bit with Sazh. :'(

A lot of people are probably laughing at you but I somewhat agree with you.. That story was good.. Damn good.. Name a playable character in that story that wasn't developed well enough I dare you.. THe cutscene with Vanielle and Sazh was one of my favorites ever :0..Plus every character mattered they all played a role, a lot of final fantasy games you cant really say that for.. Plus the story was sad but the cut scenes and quotes from that game were top notch.. Truely an underrated story..

However, for my answer I'm going to have to go with X. Probably cuz this was the only story i fully understood.. (Im an idiot i guess but a lot of these ff stories I dont understand remotley what is going on until my 3rd playthrough). The story was great and came up with twists that kept you on the edge of your seat right up until the very end.. THe ending was really sad too.. :(. I just love everything about it..

Gotta be FFVII for me. Because of how the characters evolved and how we passed from mercenaries to stopping planetary threats, all the while with good jokes from uncle Cid XD. Also the nice plot twists and how it evolved from just the game into the compilation and so on.

Last edited:
IX,without counting FFVII spin-offs or FFXI.

The story is fantastic,and the characters are well developed.

Back