Which Final Fantasy Game Has the Best Storyline?

Which numbered FF game had the best storyline?

• FFI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FFII

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • FFIII

• FFIV

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • FFV

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • FFVI

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • FFVII

Votes: 81 26.3%
  • FFVIII

Votes: 32 10.4%
  • FFIX

Votes: 48 15.6%
  • FFX

Votes: 65 21.1%
  • FFXI

• FFXII

Votes: 17 5.5%
  • FFXIII

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • FFXIII-2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
FFX

Each character's past was (mostly) explained/told (in detail).

Yuna: Lost her father (High Summoner Braska) becuz of Sin and must follow in his footsteps.
Wakka: He lost his brother Chappu becuz of Sin.
Lulu: She had a romance with Chappu (who she lost) and before becoming a guardian to Yuna, Lulu guarded two previous summoners whose pilgrimages abruptly ended before reaching the Zanarkand Ruins. (Giving her a sense of guilt and failure in Guarding)
Kimahri: Lost his pride becuz he lost the tip of his horn.
Auron: Guardian of high summoner Braska along with Jecht, he lost both of his friends and now becuz of Jecht last request he takes care of Tidus.
Rikku: An Al Bhed who becuz of Race issues could not be together with her cousin Yuna in public or ever through certain circumstances.
Tidus: Lost his father who was a drunk and his mother died as well becuz of illness.

Not to mention all their pasts gets absolved throughout the story and elaborated.
This makes me attract to them and draws them closer to any player IMO.

Also the NPC's gets their story somewhat told. Lazzu etc. Great aspects.

They believe Sin appeared becuz of their over-usage of Machina (maybe not quite right BUT the people believed SIn was attracted to places where Machina was being used) and for their Sins from the past. Thus they banned all machina usage. Al Bhed were despised becuz they still use machina. The only thing that could relief the people was by sport (Blitzball) Uniting everyone and forgetting the pain etc and for once forgetting races etc. ( A beautiful thing IMO )

Later you will find out more and more about why Sin exists,who was responsible etc.

This game had it all storywise, IMO perfection.

While I do love the plotlines of VII, X and XIII I hands-down pick VIII for the best storyline. The characters are lovable, but Squall's development throughout the game as well as his increasing love for Rinoa is amazing to me. No other FF characters develop quite as much as much as Squall in my opinion. The story is beautifully complicated and intertwined, but not so much that you cannot follow it. Zell adds humor, Selphie keeps the tempo upbeat and Irvine is nice to look at:inlove: Rinoa is so lovable to me, she's quirky, cute and hilarious when she interacts with Squall. I think the costumes in VIII are overall best as a whole and the villains are excellent. It even has a satisying, happy final cut scene, which other games lack (and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing).

Ahhhhh!
:panic:

It's sooooo hard for me to decide x] I liked every FF game for different reasons--- But, I think it'd haveta be between VIII, or X :hmmm:

I can't chooooooooseeee XD.

Uhhh..

II pick....................
*drum roll*

VIII!!!!! DING DING DING!
:D

VIII- I thought that FF VIII was one of the most unique storylines of them all. Most of the FF's consists of unlikely people doing great things in an unimaginably fucked up world. But this one is a bunch of TRAINED people doing good things in an unimaginably fucked up world :D. No but seriously, I mean the storyline was cute. Everyone is drawn together by fate, and little do they know, that they were actually childhood friends! The storyling kept me on my toes, and every flip of a page had me on the edge of my seat! VIII steps out of the lines of many Final Fantasies and although for other reasons it wasn't perfect, it's storyline was very intriging, and the whole hard to get lovey dovey thing Squall had with Rinoa,and Selphie had with Irvine, was wonderful ^^.

Story wise I think VI and VII are the best.

VII - had a great depth. And it wasn't straightforward either. Spin offs aside FF VII had a good balance between a linear story and later on, scattered objectives. Sakaguchi San put a lot of heart into the story, because this was right around the time his mother died. A lot of his personal sorrow was harnessed as creative fuel for this game's story.

VI - but I gave my vote to FF VI. For one thing, it had a larger scope than VII. You can beat the game again and again without ever uncovering the truth behind Gau's past, Shadow's Identity, the issues between the Figaro Brothers and so on... For all VII's awesomeness, I think it fell short on certain aspects. But don't misunderstand, these are my two favorites.

Final Fantasy X has the best storyline in my opinion, there's so much to think about, and it always keeps you questioning certain things as you progress further through the game. It's a very emotional story, especially as you start nearing the end of the game, I don't usually cry when it comes to games, but the ending to this game definitely brought a tear or two to my eye, a game that is able to do that is amazing, and that's what FFX's storyline is - AMAZING.

Final Fantasy VI, in my opinion, had the best storyline of the numerical series.
Plot twists were abundant and is, to my knowledge, the only Final Fantasy game in which the villain actually suceeds in taking over the world and becoming a god.
One could even argue the main character- any one of them could claim this title, with the most characters of any Final Fantasy game.
However, the top most claimed main characters are Terra, Locke, and Celes, yet each character has a story and an affect on the story itself.

FFVII.

For obvious reasons I think; Sephiroth, Buster Sword, Materia, Tifa & Cloud, The Highwind.

All these are great reasons for it to be considered the best story based game and even the Best FF game ever.

Now for the real reasons why it has the bet story line, The rivalry between Cloud and Sephiroth is not matched in the series, not even by Squall/Seifer, Aeris/Aeriths death was a chilling moment in the game and gave a WTF moment to the story, The characters and there motivations were well thought out and they created a unique blend.

The Anime nature of the story and places our heroes went Space/Underwater/Dreams
This allowed for FFVII to have a feeling of an ultimate adventure, So the characters and the battles were the best in the series, not the best presented by today's standards......but good enough back in the day.

FFVII.

For obvious reasons I think; Sephiroth, Buster Sword, Materia, Tifa & Cloud, The Highwind.

All these are great reasons for it to be considered the best story based game and even the Best FF game ever.

Now for the real reasons why it has the bet story line, The rivalry between Cloud and Sephiroth is not matched in the series, not even by Squall/Seifer, Aeris/Aeriths death was a chilling moment in the game and gave a WTF moment to the story, The characters and there motivations were well thought out and they created a unique blend.

The Anime nature of the story and places our heroes went Space/Underwater/Dreams
This allowed for FFVII to have a feeling of an ultimate adventure, So the characters and the battles were the best in the series, not the best presented by today's standards......but good enough back in the day.

lol i would not say that the story plot was THAT good and i will ALWAYS argue the fact that the game just did not do anything revolutionary besides the charactors being in 3D, i will concede that the story is better than a LOT of games but my choice will always and forever be ff9 for most fun and ff6 for best story because you got to explore every single character and shadow's story was AWESOME and gave me a freak out moment

Whew, what a tough decision. :gonk:

But in the end. I chose Final Fantasy X of course. This is the only

game that has a part 2 which is FFX-2

Still. . I love all the storyline of Final Fantasy!

Whoever created this at first, is one of the Amazing People of All Time!

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) :rofl:

I'm a FF9 enthusiast, so naturally I chose it. The reason being is because it is very dynamic> there are so many layers to the plot.
But it's still tough to say it's the best, simply because I can think of many FF's that have great storylines to. FF7 and 10 come to mind, for example.
As for FF8: I've said this in previous posts, and I'll say it again. The turning point halfway through the game just wasn't very convincing. The storyline didn't shift gracefully, it just rushed in. (Squall and the others find out they're from the same orphanage). Other than that, it wasn't too bad, but I always wondered/ most FF antagonists have a motive/

FFX definitely. im a sucker for a good love story and FFX was exactly that. The characters were all great except Wakka. -__- Tidus and Yuna were just so believable to me, they were just so perfectly done especially Yuna. No cheesy stuff, just real love.

FFX..........the story has an effect on YOU and that's what matters at the end of the day for RPG's. The story was told easily and easy to understand, unlike complicated storylines in past FF's.

I can see why people chose FFVII as their main one, once you fully actually understand the story the more you love the game. But FFX story really doesn't require much thinking it's simple but emotional.

I feel like forgetting about this game and then replaying it so I can enjoy it as much as I did the first time.

In my opinion, FFX had the best storyline, followed by FFVII.
While I didn't really like some of the characters in FFX, (Tidus) they all seemed very realistic to me. Another thing I liked alot about FFX is that from almost the very beginning of the game you have an ultimate goal in mind, but as the story progressed, you learned that your job wasn't as simple as it seemed to be. Also, I liked the many plot twists the game had to offer, so while I generally liked FFVII better, I'd have to say FFX had the better storyline.

i say 6 and 7

Mod Edit: Please put a bit more effort into your posts please. Tell us why you think these games have the best storyline. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a complicated decision, since both the final fantasy VII, like Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy X has all great stories, but that causes more excitement and feelings in me, is without a doubt, Final Fantasy VII

VI gets my vote. The story was amazing with excellent character development. I almost shed a tear when
Terra says she will rejoin the team to fight Kefka because she realized what love is.
Also Kefka was the greatest villain in any game I have played. Ever. Only three hours into the game I hated him with a passion after the famous river poisoning scene. Square took a simple evil guy is trying to destroy the world plot and added so much depth to it.

FFX got the best, my 2nd choice woulda been FFXII

I play it a couple times to see the thing lol.

Mod Edit: Can you please put a bit more effort into your post? Tell us why you think these storylines are best. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think it would have to be FFX, I loved the story, even when I was younger as a kid I knew the story was amazing. I loved all the characters, I loved the world it took place in, and I loved the plot twists and mysteries that the game gave you to figure out. Usually in games I feel like the world was just there, but with FFX in Spira, I actually enjoyed learning it's history and how it's society operated.

I voted for VII, but I guess you could call mine a limited vote because I've only played 3 of the main games, and I've only completed 1 of those (which is 7). But out of any game I've played, this game has one of my favorite stories. There's lots of plot twists, confusion (which I like in a game; I like when you have to figure out a story), a love triangle(ish), and one of the most recognized villians of all time. I was brought to tears when Aerith died, and I was engaged in the stories of each character throughout the entire game.

Back