Serious Age differences

age doesnt really matter to me tbh just dont go having sex with a minor if your legal

I truly don't think age matters at all (to an obvious extent). If you love someone, then you love someone. It's simply that. I myself am attracted to older men, but I wouldn't completely shut out someone a couple years, months, whatever, younger than me simple due to the fact that they are younger than me. Age is just a number. I do not fall in love with numbers.

I believe there has to be perceived equity in a relationship for that relationship to work. If you feel as though age could be a problem, chances are it already is or indeed will develop into one.

I know of a couple who I do believe feel the emotions the average person would estimate love to be, but I dont believe a couple of their age can truly sustain a healthy, lasting relationship. There is an age gap of 26 years between the two and they already have a baby together.

The younger partner is 19 years old.

Two or three years is trivial. I believe there is a certain limit where one person has to accept that although they might love the other person, sometimes the (IMO of course) loving thing to do would be to allow that person to find someone else they could grow to love and build a family and life together. Of course, Im not saying you couldnt do so, but the social scorn you would place on one another (whether or not you believe its fair) would be unfair to the other.

This particular case goes far deeper than I care to disclose, but the sentiment remains the same. If I were a man of 40 odd years and a teenager fell head over heels with me I dont think I could bring myself to exploit the situation. I would find her too inexperienced and naive to take her or indeed myself seriously.

In regard to others I personally dont care if it makes you happy go for it,For myself I have limits I dont date men younger than myself and Ill only date a guy 10 years older than myself.Thats my comfort level in regard to age.
I simply dont think men arround my age are all that bright,Sorry if that offends anyone but you dont live near me and the ones in my are are all in to making babies,partying and loafing off someone. Id much rather date an older guy who has a much better mind frame and has a sence of responsibility.
But to each their own and like I said if your happy who's to say otherwise what another should do?

I don't care, anyone can date anyone else, as long as they are not being exploited. For instance I have no problems with a 15 year old and someone who is 20. In a society that frequently sexualises people under 16, to claim that because they are under 16 they shouldn't be having sex with someone of their choice is sheer hypocrisy. Furthermore the idea that all people reach the age at which they will be physically and mentally ready to have sex, at the same time is monumentally stupid. Whatever two consenting people get up to is not my business, nor is it anyone else's

This.

I was trying to get to that when I mentioned paedophilia but promptly avoided it. Very well said.

well,it is said that a 19 year old for example,loves a 29 year old is not right despite the love they have.Ya it does matter,since 1 of u will start looking old in the future first. So the example i gave,the 19 year old would be 39 in the future and the 29 year old would be 59 in the future.There u go.
Your maths work is impeccable.

Also, this
Age is just a number

And this
I don't care, anyone can date anyone else, as long as they are not being exploited. For instance I have no problems with a 15 year old and someone who is 20. In a society that frequently sexualises people under 16, to claim that because they are under 16 they shouldn't be having sex with someone of their choice is sheer hypocrisy. Furthermore the idea that all people reach the age at which they will be physically and mentally ready to have sex, at the same time is monumentally stupid. Whatever two consenting people get up to is not my business, nor is it anyone else's
Are all the argument you need. You're only as young as you feel, etc. and when children below the accepted age are sold sex the way they are these days, even the border of paedophilia becomes a bit blurry, and even after that age some people aren't at the right mental age. Obviously there's a problem if you're talking ridiculously young, but I know a lot of people who were probably mature enough before they were 16.

I must admit age has never been an issue for me personally but I suppose that there has to conformity to social norms for example not being under age and so on but at the same time if theres no sex then technically no laws have been broken.

So its kinda difficult to say wheather its unethical....

Hmm while I do agree that people mature at different ages and that someone may be ready before they are 16 for a large age difference, I still would not recommend dating someone under the legal age.

Let's say for fun that you are 22 and you meet a 14 year old that you really like. You date, time passes and the relationship deteriots. And you break up with him/her. Well what if this 14 year old gets pissed off and reports you for statuatory rape? You'll go to jail and your friends and family may be disgusted by you. Also it will make it harder for you to find a job, if you need one, with that on your record. (at least where I live, underage sex is a big taboo).

Another thing that could happen. His/her parents find out, become upset and report you.

I'm not saying that it's right, or that it should happen, or that all people underage people will get pissed at the end of the relationship and report you. But why risk it? If one of my friend were to date someone underage I'd tell him/her not to because of that risk. Just felt the need to bring it up. I'm in the health care profession and we were warned to never date any patients no matter how much time has passed. Because if things do not go right and they become upset, they could report me and I could risk losing my licence.

I agree with what pretty much everyone is saying. As long as it's legal, then I have no problem with people dating who they want. It's not anyone's place other than the two people involved.

Although I entirely agree that age shouldn’t matter in a variety of cases, there are some that they should. That some comes down to legality and maturity. Sure if a thirty year old and a forty year old get together it’s not one’s business but when it’s a 16 year old and a 26 year old there’s a problem. It’s possible that it’s a mature relationship, but it’s also a high possibility of an older person taking advantage of a younger person’s naivety and trust.

We can’t say “live and let live” when a youth is manipulated into acts that might leave trauma later on. For that sake alone we should regulate exactly who the minors are dating, and if they’re dating someone over the age of a minor, it should be ceased, at least in a manner that could affect their mental state. Two minors dating I don’t have as much a problem with, but even then you have to be careful, because when you’re young you’re not necessarily aware of the consequences of your actions, or that of the other minor’s.

Free love is good and all, until someone ends up abused. Then there’s no going back. So, while it’s incredibly unromantic and downright annoying, we should monitor the relationships our minors have, so they don’t have to end up in some statistic in the newspaper.

To me this is much like everything else, as with distance, relgious beliefs and in some stange (but true) cases skin colour....Age is only a barrier if you make it that way!

Kelly and Dave are an excellent example that age AND distance have no bearing on how two people feel about each other, if you want it to work, it WILL work, it just requires effort like every healthy relationship.

With Vikki and I, the gap is a lot smaller, I'm only 2, nearly 3 years her senior and there is 1hr 30min driving distance between us, but we get on like a house on fire because we both want the relationship to work and see neither the age or distance as an obstacle.

Like i said, barriers are only created by yourself, and all relationships require work, if two people care about each other enough, nothing should stand in the way and to percieve something like "age" as a problem only means you are denying yourself what could be something wonderful.

If both people are legal then there isn't a problem IMO. I'd date a woman if she was older than me, we had great chemistry, and I found her attractive. It's just a number once said person is passed the stage of being legal or not. I really wanted to date a woman that was in her 40's and I'm 25. She didn't though because she's known me since I was a kid and thought it'd be weird. Kinda bummed me out because I always thought she was gorgeous and had a crush on her growing up.

Nope. My age range is 17-45 or so (17 or 18, depending on state). Albeit I do prefer cougars.

Back