Serious Age differences

SapphireStar

♥ FFF's Matt Bellamy Pervert ♥
Veteran
Gil
Do they matter? Im werid with them, Im attracted to older men and yet I only date younger guys. Not so young, only a year younger then me. All of my boyfriends have been a year younger then me and that sometimes bugs me. My mum and dad were 5 years apart, she being older and shes older then my stepdad by 7 years. But most people I know date older men and women.

I always wanted an older man as I dont know, Id feel more protective and secure. But I also know I can feel like that with a man regardless of his age. Some people see it as wrong dating someone much younger then you, but I dont see a problem with it. If you want to be with this person, then does age really matter?

Thoughts, opinions?

well,it is said that a 19 year old for example,loves a 29 year old is not right despite the love they have.Ya it does matter,since 1 of u will start looking old in the future first. So the example i gave,the 19 year old would be 39 in the future and the 29 year old would be 59 in the future.There u go.

I personally think that age doesn't matter once the person are in their 30s if the gap is something like 5 to 7 years.

Of course it wouldn't look right if someone was say, 19 and they did something like that but when you get to 25 to 30 then it's more accepted in general.

It also depends if the man and woman love each other to not care about age...obviously it'd look strange if both people had a HUGE gap but, as long as they are both of legal age for sex...and they are very genuine with each other and their families then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Also, an older woman can get away with it better then a guy could....I think it's more to do with maturity.

Ohoho

Age is just a number, we all know there's a difference between me and Dave, tbh though, if anyone has a problem with that, it's their problem, we're happy enough, and yes, he's younger. We look the same age anyway :lew:

We're on a similar wavelength though, if anything, he's maturer than I am, though I have my moments!

I think it's very much down to the individual, whatever the age gap, it just shouldn't matter (providing, obviously, it's not illegal) Some people like to date older, some younger, others just like to stay in their age range. I guess, really, its no different than Joe being a boob man, and Sam being a leg man

I have no problem with it at all (obviously :8F:)

Each to their own, everyone else can butt oot

well,it is said that a 19 year old for example,loves a 29 year old is not right despite the love they have.Ya it does matter,since 1 of u will start looking old in the future first. So the example i gave,the 19 year old would be 39 in the future and the 29 year old would be 59 in the future.There u go.

Well done for passing basic maths

Edit* I wouldnt normally go looking for someone younger than me, it was him as a person I was interested in/attracted to :hmmm:

I dont understand? Because they age before the younger one then its wrong? Like I said there is a 7 year diffence between my parents and youre saying 10 is wrong ... they have an 18 year old son and have never been happier.

I mean, an older person dating a minon (under 16) is defo wrong as thats crossing over into paedo terrority.

As long as the other person is legal, I don't think it matters. What really matters is the person themself. If you really do love someone that is older or younger there should be no problem with having a relationship with them. Just keep in mind that if you do plan to spend your life with someone much older than you, that they will most likely die much sooner than you. My sister married a man 13 years older than her, and their relationship has worked out great. She did one time say that she wanted to die first because she didn't want to be alone when she was older, and I told her that that was not likely.

I've also know a couple that had a 20 years age difference. A lot of people thought that was strange because the man had a son that is two years younger than his wife, but they seem very happy together and his children do not have a problem with this. They also have two children together.

If you do date an older man, it's not a bad idea to wonder what his intentions are. (Does he want you for you? Or doe he want a hot young babe?)

@Bambi: your and Dave's age difference never phased me and did not seem that large XD. Probably because I've been around a lot of couples with larger age differences. (I know more than the two couples I just mentioned) When I saw that you two were dating I was like "awe that's sweet" and didn't give another thought to it.

Last edited:
I'm not bothered by age gaps personally, and that's probably an odd thing for a younger person to say :hmmm: I have a massive thing for older guys, and there's no way I'll date anyone younger than me. I think 17 is the youngest I'd date, as for oldest... well, it depends on the person, circumstances etc. I'm legal in the country I live in so I haven't got a problem with dating older guys.
Age is just a number, in my opinion :mokken:

I have once heard that a good rule of thumb is to take your own age, divide it by two and then add seven. You should not date someone younger than that age.

In all seriousness, I don't think an age difference is a big deal. It may seem like it at first, but time makes two things occur: (1) as the years progress and you are still together, your relationship will only seem increasingly natural and age will become less and less of a factor, and (2) as the both of you get older, the age difference will become less significant. A weird example: a 19-year-old dates a 14-year-old. I assume a lot of people will think that's strange, not right, or the age difference is too great. I would agree. But it's only five years. How about a 50-year-old married to a 45-year-old? That doesn't seem like much of a big deal at all, if it even is to begin with. But it's still a five-year gap.

As long as the two participants are ready to pursue and relationship together and it feels right to each of them, I don't think age should keep people apart. Unless it gets into legal stuff, I suppose.

I was always the exact opposite as you. I dated guys that were older then me. I can't say i speak for everyone here (us women) but, I've always just like you SS been attracted to older guys then younger. I think it could be due to the fact that older guys tend to be more mature :hmmm: not always true but, idunno.

My parents are 6 years apart my mom was 18 and my dad 24when they started dating. I think? Not sure.

It may be a little creepy if there's a huge gap between ages but, I don't really mind tbh.

If you really like someone who cares if they're younger or a bit older.

I definitely don't see anything wrong with an age difference, and especially nothing wrong with women going for younger guys. I had always been attracted to older men while I was growing up for maturity reasons, but then I ended up marrying someone a year and a half younger than me :lew: It just depends on the person, really--honestly I think it'd be very hard to find someone exactly the same age as you unless you met them in school, which is a time when a lot of people are less mature about relationships, or less experienced with them, and they may not be as likely to last anyway. And my parents are like 17 years different so I'm kinda grateful that people can see past age limitations :D

Reguarding Rydia's opinion about dying earlier and such, I kind of disagree.

You are right that it's more likely to happen, but that isn't always the case.

Overall, I do agree with your statements about the situations that do arise. :)

Reguarding Rydia's opinion about dying earlier and such, I kind of disagree.

You are right that it's more likely to happen, but that isn't always the case.

Overall, I do agree with your statements about the situations that do arise. :)

Yeah I realize that isn't always the case. I just mentioned it because of my sister. XD She would always talk about wanting to die before her spouse and I'd ask her sarcastically why she just didn't marry someone 20 years younger. And I suppose that would apply more to the couple that I mentioned that were 20 years apart.

I guess there could be a reason to be concerned if you have a 20 year old marrying a rich 80 year old. But hey, if that 80 year old wants to be with a hot young person before they die and that 20 year old wants money, and they are both cool with it, then I say who cares XD And that's also another issue.

Reactions: Shu
I agree with the posts about the differences matter less as people get older. I mean, my parents are 5 years apart and my grandparents are what, 15 years apart?
I don't think a big-ish age gap would bother me. Once people hit 18 I don't think gaps in age matter at all :hmmm: But, say a 13-yr-old going out with a 23-yr-old, that would be wrong. But an 18-yr-old and a 28-yr-old? I'd have no problems with that.

Yeah I realize that isn't always the case. I just mentioned it because of my sister. XD She would always talk about wanting to die before her spouse and I'd ask her sarcastically why she just didn't marry someone 20 years younger. And I suppose that would apply more to the couple that I mentioned that were 20 years apart.

I guess there could be a reason to be concerned if you have a 20 year old marrying a rich 80 year old. But hey, if that 80 year old wants to be with a hot young person before they die and that 20 year old wants money, and they are both cool with it, then I say who cares XD And that's also another issue.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Your sister loves her husband so much that she wouldn't like to be a widow for a long time, so I understand. :)

I know who you are refering to, poor Anna Nicole Smith. :(

I'm not really fussed when it comes to age differences.

Steve and I are five years apart. It's not that big of a gap I suppose.

My best friend and her partner are 15 years apart. Him being the older one.

Thing is, he doesn't even look like he's in his 30's. =P

It's only really a problem in my eyes if the older person is dating someone who isn't of legal age.

Then it's actually quite disturbing. =/

Ohoho

Age is just a number, we all know there's a difference between me and Dave, tbh though, if anyone has a problem with that, it's their problem, we're happy enough, and yes, he's younger. We look the same age anyway :lew:

We're on a similar wavelength though, if anything, he's maturer than I am, though I have my moments!

I think it's very much down to the individual, whatever the age gap, it just shouldn't matter (providing, obviously, it's not illegal) Some people like to date older, some younger, others just like to stay in their age range. I guess, really, its no different than Joe being a boob man, and Sam being a leg man

I have no problem with it at all (obviously :8F:)

Each to their own, everyone else can butt oot

Well done for passing basic maths

Edit* I wouldnt normally go looking for someone younger than me, it was him as a person I was interested in/attracted to :hmmm:
I awww'd, apart from you slagging off someone for being able to count. :wacky:

Things like age difference are just social norms that have been set down by a majority of the population, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong or right with them. What if we didn't record time, as a world? We wouldn't know what an age was and it wouldn't matter. Why should it matter? There's the issue of dating children due to their lack of knowledge and awareness but we've been conditioned to think that's wrong (I'm not advocating paedophilia, for the record - just saying!).

If you have feelings for someone on this planet then the length of time they've been on it shouldn't factor.

On a less objective note, I love the fact that Kelly's older. I can't be bothered with girls my own age. Despite the phases of immaturity it's great having a woman who's "done that before", especially for someone like me who's yet to do anything really (take that how you will :wacky:). For whatever reason it's working. The age isn't a problem at all. To me it's like being picky over hair colour - what difference does it make to the way we feel? None.

All of my flatmates are 2-3 years older than me at least as well...

To me it's like being picky over hair colour - what difference does it make to the way we feel? None.

All of my flatmates are 2-3 years older than me at least as well...

I hate the fact that some people are indeed picky over hair colour but I think people have preferences over certain hair colours over others...I certainly do.:D

The simple answer, love knows no bounds, so age doesn't matter if the couple are truely in love.

I'll throw out my thoughts for good measure though. As for my personal history, of the girls I've dated, one girl was 4 years older than me and another was girl 7 years younger, so I'm quite expansive on age. :lew: I've always been sort of a hopeless romantic and never considered anything but my heart in these types of scenario's. Not to say I blindly went into relationships, but I was lenient in the sense of not holding a girl to strict guidelines for the purpose of dating. Naturally age would be one of those considerations, and so long as it's not illegal, then I don't see an issue with it.

Ages don't matter, if you love them then age doesn't matter. It's just a number anyway, you're still the same person right? Nothing is completely wrong. It's peoples perceptions of someone 60 and 20 year old seems wrong, when...they are the same person they were when they were younger. To me, age is just a number. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't care, anyone can date anyone else, as long as they are not being exploited. For instance I have no problems with a 15 year old and someone who is 20. In a society that frequently sexualises people under 16, to claim that because they are under 16 they shouldn't be having sex with someone of their choice is sheer hypocrisy. Furthermore the idea that all people reach the age at which they will be physically and mentally ready to have sex, at the same time is monumentally stupid. Whatever two consenting people get up to is not my business, nor is it anyone else's

Back