Wich one do you prefer

• New

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Pre-owned

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dont care gimmee the game!!!!!

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
I voted that I "Don't care!", but that's really because it depends.

If I'm getting something from Gamestop, then I know for sure that I don't need to worry about a pre-owned game not working. They defect games that might not work, meaning they're sent to corporate to be buffed (excluding games that are way too scratched of course). And the return policy is really fair and relaxed.

The collectors game shops around me have (understandably) stricter return policies. Since even something as simple as a booklet or a case can be worth money, they don't want people buying expensive games, and then returning just the disc while selling the rest of the stuff online (or just using it to complete their copy without actually spending any money). Usually their return policies are around two days, and you only get the money back in store credit, which means I have to be prepared to return any games quickly, have to be willing to buy something else since I'd only get store credit back, and I have to have the time to return it over the next two days. Then again, they also usually have 90 day free buff policies as well, which is nice in case the game is broken, but you only find out half way through.

However, I prefer buying new if at all possible for one reason, and one reason only. I don't care about the fact that buying new ensures the game will work. The last time I got a used game that didn't work (that I couldn't just get buffed), was back in like 2004. I like to buy new, because I like to support the developers who made the game. I like to speak with my wallet, and tell companies when I think they're doing something right. That's the most important thing to me when buying new.

That being said, I also definitely don't mind knowing that I'm getting a complete copy for my shelf :P

Last edited:
I voted that I "Don't care!", but that's really because it depends.

If I'm getting something from Gamestop, then I know for sure that I don't need to worry about a pre-owned game not working. They defect games that might not work, meaning they're sent to corporate to be buffed (excluding games that are way too scratched of course). And the return policy is really fair and relaxed.

The collectors game shops around me have (understandably) stricter return policies. Since even something as simple as a booklet or a case can be worth money, they don't want people buying expensive games, and then returning just the disc while selling the rest of the stuff online (or just using it to complete their copy without actually spending any money). Usually their return policies is around two days, and you only get the money back in store credit, which means I have to be prepared to return any games quickly, have to be willing to buy something else since I'd only get store credit back, and I have the time to return it over the next two days. Then again, they also usually have 90 day free buff policies as well, which is nice in case the game is broken.

However, I prefer buying new if at all possible for one reason, and one reason only. I don't care about the fact that buying new ensures the game will work. The last time I got a used game that didn't work (that I couldn't just get buffed), was back in like 2004. I like to buy new, because I like to support the developers who made the game. I like to speak with my wallet, and tell companies when I think they're doing something right. That's the most important thing to me when buying new.

That being said, I also definitely don't mind knowing that I'm getting a complete copy for my shelf :P

You just gave a good explanation about both sides. Buying pre-owned games can sometimes be good to the costumers. You might get a pre-owned game that's in a good condition state for a good price or you might not. Is a matter of luck. It's the customers choice to take the risk of buying a pre-owned game that might be scratched or damaged.

That is the reason why I always buy brand new games to prevent from returning the game after trying it out. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that people who purchase a game whether is a Limited Edition, Collectors Edition or any other types of editions will receive all the contents that it brings. As to a customer that buys a pre-owned game of one of those editions will not receive the same reward. That is the advantage of buying brand new games.

Tend to stick with new if I can just for reasons cause it's nice to feel like no one else played this copy or did anything to mess it up. Though there are occasions I go used but that's mostly due to money reasons so like not being able to afford it when it first came out and then mostly not being able to get it new easily, but also before I leave I like to make sure the disc are not badly scratched or if it's a handheld that the game works before i leave the store.

I have always preferred buying new anything. Especially with consoles and games because I just feel more comfortable knowing that I'm going to be "putting the miles" on them.

Just how I like my clothes, brand spanking new. Its not a question for me. I've never even considered buying anything pre-owned.

If it's a physical copy of a game, I'd like it brand new (as a preference). But, if I can get it digitally first, then I prefer doing it that way. In our day and age now, many titles are released digitally anyway, so it's stupid easy. Flip side to that: if the version of the game you'd like isn't available digitally: do you wait to see if it will be eventually, or cave and get the physical copy of it instead? :hmm:

I prefer buying my games brand new but if there is a big price difference I don't mind picking up a pre-owned copy. Consoles and accessories on the other hand I always buy new and generally try to avoid buying them pre-owned.

Back