Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Andre the Adamantoise
Zell
FFXIV
Ilyena Frost
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Please use this thread for all of your character discussion. This includes favorite characters, least favorite characters, character clothing, character back stories, etc. I will be making a separate thread for Character Battle Tactics but please try and keep the rest of the character discussion to this thread. Thanks. :)

Well, no one's posted in here yet so I guess I'll start lol. My top 3 favorite characters to use (in no particular order) are Cloud Strife, Onion Knight, and Tidus. Cloud and OK usually don't rank very high on tier lists, but I say if you know a character inside and out, they can dominate regardless.

I don't really have designated favourites - more along the lines of who can make battles fun. For the most part, this has drawn me in towards magic-users.

Ultimecia
She lacks any real variety in her onslaught, but her barrages keep the enemy pressed for tactics. It's nice forcing people to dodge, only to catch them with a swift Apocalypse once their invincibility has expired. The range on that mother is awesome!

Cloud of Darkness

Probably what I'd consider to be my "main". BRV attacks are nothing to write home about, but are effective in getting the job done. The variety of HP attacks, coupled with BRV regeneration accessories/summons make her consistently lethal. And then there's 0-Form.

The Emperor
Unremarkable unless in confined arenas, he's not one I'd chance in any kind of PvP setting unless I seriously bolster my strategy. Alas, it's pretty fun having to do very little to accomplish so much.

Garland

Phwoar. His ground combos are epic, and his HP attacks are pretty decent too. Very much one I'd consider in the first instance if I wanted to go up against a human player. His Ex-Mode 'class' bonus is great in confined areas such as Pandaemonium. Got me out of a fair few fights with Chaos too.

Kuja
I couldn't leave this guy alone. You can change his strategy quite a lot as he has a good variety of BRV attacks so as an enemy, he can go either way really. Flare Star is something I've wanted to use for a long, long time as a spell. :wacky:

Kefka
:gasp:

Chopped down to my absolute favorites:

Garland

Although I could never use him in PvP combat. Something about this guy just makes me want to throw all strategy to the wind & go apeshit. Despite that, he has excellent combos, nice range, & powerful magic. All coming from a guy who could originally only attack. He's slow, but he's strong, & he throws his weight around.

I especially love his personality. A battle-obsessed fatalist is something I honestly don't recall seeing anywhere else in the series. He sounds like that guy who hosts Mail Call, & yet somehow, it works for him.

I also like the creativity of making a multiform weapon that nods to each of the Fiends.

Firion

First & so far only character to get to level 100. I like the way the fighting style is easy to work with, & Straight Arrow is probably my favorite HP attack, slow or not.

He also happens to be the most badass character in the game, making even Jecht look like a bitch when they fought on the Lunar Subterrane. And Jecht makes everyone else look like a bitch.

Cloud of Darkness

As said previously, brave attacks are nothing special, but they get the job done. Moreover, you equip 2 & can use about 6 or 8, I forget which. The variety of particle beams ensure that she has an HP attack for every occasion. Although she's not my best character yet & I haven't used her a lot in a while, she's still pretty fun.

I also liked the Cloud's ability to be evil while not being malevolent. After all, she's only trying to destroy everything because the Void "fascinates her."

Also, mindfucks. She's apparently not a she.

Sephiroth

It would take up too much time to point out why Sephiroth is my favorite villain in the series & one of my favorite villains of all time. As for battle, he has decent mid-range attacks which hit multiple times. A little cliche, but it works. All-around, he's just fun to use, especially since he's on a side that's almost all mages.

tbh you could level up garland and use an attack thats so powerful(forgot the name) its when he smashes his weapon in the ground and it makes a stalagmite,its pretty powerful.thats what i do to level up,this is considered a simple strategy for all of you,be sure to train him a lot.

I don't really have designated favourites - more along the lines of who can make battles fun. For the most part, this has drawn me in towards magic-users.

Ultimecia
She lacks any real variety in her onslaught, but her barrages keep the enemy pressed for tactics. It's nice forcing people to dodge, only to catch them with a swift Apocalypse once their invincibility has expired. The range on that mother is awesome!

Cloud of Darkness

Probably what I'd consider to be my "main". BRV attacks are nothing to write home about, but are effective in getting the job done. The variety of HP attacks, coupled with BRV regeneration accessories/summons make her consistently lethal. And then there's 0-Form.

The Emperor
Unremarkable unless in confined arenas, he's not one I'd chance in any kind of PvP setting unless I seriously bolster my strategy. Alas, it's pretty fun having to do very little to accomplish so much.

Garland

Phwoar. His ground combos are epic, and his HP attacks are pretty decent too. Very much one I'd consider in the first instance if I wanted to go up against a human player. His Ex-Mode 'class' bonus is great in confined areas such as Pandaemonium. Got me out of a fair few fights with Chaos too.

Kuja
I couldn't leave this guy alone. You can change his strategy quite a lot as he has a good variety of BRV attacks so as an enemy, he can go either way really. Flare Star is something I've wanted to use for a long, long time as a spell. :wacky:

Kefka
:gasp:

lol oh my. Any tips on how to use magic based characters? I'm starting to use Cecil a lot so I consider that to be somewhat of a transition, but I still suck with spell casters. I'm a melee fighter at heart lol.

lol oh my. Any tips on how to use magic based characters? I'm starting to use Cecil a lot so I consider that to be somewhat of a transition, but I still suck with spell casters. I'm a melee fighter at heart lol.
It's just a case of assessing circumstance; what ability is best fit for that situation. Which in essence is the same thing you do with physical fighters, just for the most part at range.

There's no single strategy for a group of magic users unfortunately. They're all far too different. Though as stated above, distance is the key (but again: circumstantial). If you're used to being melee, keep things like Riposte equipped so you can respond with any multi-hit combo like Ultimecia's Knight's Sword. Speaking of Ultimecia, Snooze and Lose is a great ability for her.

For a first-time magic user however, I'd recommend either Kuja or Cloud of Darkness. Kuja's ease of movement changes things a lot, but he has some element of close range combat so you shouldn't feel too out of your comfort zone with him. CoD is much the same, without the boost to movement - she can be devastating up close.

You should check out YouTube, or even our Battle Replay Discussion thread for member tips!

Last edited:
Kuja is pretty much only half mage, seeing as how his better attacks are physical

CoD is barely mage at all, with almost all melee attacks

CoD can actually brave rape when you get her combos down, but is better known for he ridiculous ex output. In ex mode, not only will she rape your brave, but she has brave to hp combos, which kicks ass

ultimecia is a fucking mage version of squall with an eaven easier time landing an hp attack, and is by far the most viable character to use iai strike on as all her hits count as separate attacks

Squall looked cool in dissidia l always felt the guy much more potential than waht was shown in FFVIII. Cloud was same old man, not complaining thoId always rather have him around than not.

Sephiroth like a god with his abilities incredibly powerful Sword Techniques!

G2g offline after this post, so I can't make this too long, but this question has nagged me for quite some time...

How do you go directly from a series of bravery attacks with Jecht, right into an HP attack, like the CPUs sometimes do? I can time the O button presses fine, but can't figure out how to break into an HP attack during it. :hmmm:

l think this maybe a liked skill like Omnislash version 5 or Quick hit if you cant do it maybe you beed to level it up or equip it in the skills menu? IDK l dont really use jecht, to boisterous lol

Funny guy tho "Hey whats the hurry man?" best line from FFX

I can use it on it's own, but try facing a Jecht opponent of quite high difficulty, you'll see him unleash a few series' of Bravery attacks, then immediately shift into executing Jecht Blade right away before there would be any chance to escape from it after the previous hits. xP

Been trying to figure this out for months... >_<

Yeah l didnt think it was a linked skill like l says b4 i dont use jecht so l cant help you there
maybe you just have to mash the button or be more precise its a tricky game and even l have to mash buttons when the heat is on....does that sound arrogant?

It isn't a matter of mashing it repeatedly, but the time of it, and inputting some direction at the same time. >.>

Anyways, I might some time figure out how to use him 100%. He isn't one of my mains, I just want to learn of this, how to smoothly link a set of bravery attacks together mid air, and an HP attack. :P

I'm replying to the post, so you can feel free to make a new one with your results if you'd like, so that's the one purpose of that particular post. ;)

I would appreciate it, I've tried pressing the different buttons with different timing, while holding different directions, and nothing seems to do the trick. '<.<

Well i know you only know me as some guy on FFF so take what l say as 15 year veteran of FF with some level of confidence when l say, that given jechts charging abilities and the fact that his combos change depending on how you press the O button and give d-pad input its very hard to work out timing.

Given that he has less moves than the other characters its my opinion that he has a greater degree of learning requierd to get the most out of him....you said the seamless nature of his bravery to HP attacks happened vs high level Jecht this was maybe caused by the increased A.I level of the CPU

kinda off like making it so precise and fast as to not give you a break when he's on the offensive?

is what l think

Back