Final Fantasy VII Remake

Realistically speaking, it just wouldn't do well to keep the battle system exactly the same, not if a remake is going to be built from the ground up. It'd be like putting a wooden door on a stone fortress- inferior to the rest of the game.

There needs to be a sense of 'newness' to all the gameplay in general.

But why? The gameplay is awesome, why does it need to be new? I don't fully understand what you mean bu a wooden door on a stone fortress. A remake would entail very little change, unless they really changed the entire game. But why would they do that when they could just add a new installment? The ATB system is fantastic, and as I said, despite my distaste for the story and hatred for most of the characters, the materia system and ATB system combine with character specialization makes it still have replay value even to someone who dislikes it. Essentially, if you want gameplay like FFXIII, you play FFXIII. If you want gameplay like FFIX, you play FFIX. If you want gameplay like FFVII, then you play FFVII. If they changed the battle system to any of this modern era gaming shat, the game would be horrible in every way. I have yet to find a current gen game that is genuinely better than early gen in terms of gameplay. Now most games are glorified movies, usually very linear, and overall, just not fun.

I heard someone once say "3D is for people that think two dimensionally." And it's fairly fitting for this generation of games. If anything at all got changed about the gameplay, why would you play it? For the story? Well it's not even a great story, pick up a book, watch a movie. A game is great for its gameplay, it's story is merely the icing. Asking FFVII to have a change in gameplay is just asking for a whole new game anyway, it makes no logical sense to demand a "remake" just to not remake the gameplay. If you want different gameplay with a similar story, Crisis Core is good. It's a little more hack and slash.

This is why they won't touch a FFVII remake. Because there is no way they can keep the battle system and other things exactly the same while updating everything else. Well they could...but they'd be guaranteed to lose money. Or are you guys seriously saying that such realistic characters and environments wouldn't look utterly daft standing still across from an enemy and waiting their turn in battle? It worked in the old games because they looked like games, the new games look more like movies, they look more natural, more realistic. Putting an unrealistic battle system in a realistically styled game will look stupid and slow and boring, and people won't buy it. Of course, change it at all and the fans will say it's ruined and won't buy it. Well if you want the same game you played in the original there's only one way to do that: play the original.

I like to see more mini games at gold saucer, more weapons to destroy. All of this in high graphics...
I can dream right???

I personally like the ARPG style of XV, so I'd want VII remade in XV's style, mostly because XV's style is based off of Advent Children, which is how the original creators imagined the fighting to look like in their imaginations. They already said it would take a decade to remake VII, not much different from how long its taken to make XV. :P

Seriously how many people make up SE's 1st Production Department? is their staff really that small where they can't do a VII remake even after VX and KHIII are finished because their hard at work planning FFXV-2 and Dissidia 3? i know Square Enix had it rough last gen but c'mon, like Ultimaja said foundation for the VII's story is already there and it's not like they can't just reuse XV or KH3's graphic engine.I call BS on the whole "VII remakes would take a decade to make" argument.

After thinking about it some more, I think the idea of a VII remake is a scary beast to Square-Enix.
It's funny considering how they've milked VII in the past yet are suddenly afraid to do a remake.

i think that a remake with the original battle system could work. But they would have to integrate some new feature into that battle system in order for it feel natural with everything else. They should figure out how to make the transition into battle more seamless, and speed up the game play just slightly. If they added more cinematic camera features when characters attack, it might work, maybe even allowing the players attacks to almost mesh together kinda like in FFX or even XIII, one player is maybe just hitting an enemy or is about to move backward as the next character moves in, making the battle seem almost more team oriented, like they really are working together.

I just want to see this game in next gen graphics with voice acting and re visit all the stunning towns and scenery,I couldn't care less if they made a few tweaks to battle system,its the story and the world that sucked me into the game . imagine the towns in stunning hd the boss battles the side quests and the characters updated.

Please...just let it die. It's not going to happen. Even if they DID "promise" a remake, it would be both a disgrace to the charm of its original PlayStation release and take more than ten years to "finish".

I love Final Fantasy VII, but with all those shitty sequels and prequels that followed, let's not take that risk with this game.

Last edited:
No, because FFVII has had way too much given to it already. I feel like FF8 and FF9 deserve a remake more. If you look down the line at every Final Fantasy. eache game has had a remake, a sequel, a prequel, a movie or a port... EXCEPT Final Fantasy VIII and IX. FFVII is the worst offender of the bunch with its over saturated world which has all of the above. Hell, it even had a book series! Final Fantasy VIII and IX had some of the best characters and stories in the series, but they both have been criminally overlooked by both fans and Square-Enix, who will doubtfully DO anything to rectify this because it isn't FFVII or FFXIII.

I feel like Ff7 needs a remake to compensate for the sequels/prequels....how can so many visually appealing games be connected to a clearly dated one?

Regardless, i also believe ff8 and ff9 deserve a remake.

I will throw all my rare collectables on ebay and put the funds into S-E just to see a FF9 remake :D but yer this whole topic just needs to die a slow death and then we can revisit again in a year or two when another S-E employee in an interview is being vague about the title.

to me, if they do the remake good I will love it. I don't want ANY added scenes, I don't want any added dialog or options. I don't want extra memories of Zack or anything like that. I pretty much just want a remake that is just redone graphics and gameplay... even if they add clerithy scenes, it would put me off if they changed what happened in the original.

that's why they're called remakes and not 'do-overs'. if they add anything that wasn't in the original it won't be a remake, and quite honestly i'll be pissed off. and if they take the ffx novel route and they mess up cloud and aerith's canon relationship that would just be even worse. :rage:

what i'd hope for in a FFVII remake;

*In depth look into the Cetra/Jenova (I'm flabbergasted that we haven't had this yet)

*Enhanced/redone graphics (more realistic looking like the latest games)

*Translation fixes

*Battle system enhancements (something more interactive like ff15)

*More minigames (maybe some that even go online, like chocobo/motorcycle racing... I mean, how awesome would that be to go up against other fans!)

*LEAVE THE MUSIC ALONE, I would just like them redone in actual instruments and stuff (less computer-y sounding)

* DLC for like costumes and stuff (nothing ridiculous, though--no bikinis or stupid shit)

That's all I can think of at the moment, but that would be wonderful.

I sincerely doubt that they'd manage to achieve the very fine balance of keeping the game as faithful as possible to the original release while also adding to or enhancing the game to make it actually worth releasing and buying (again). I'd be tempted, but if it does eventually come to be and it's a simple graphical upscale and frame-rate bump, I'll give it a pass.

This is just my opinion and stuff, but I think a FFVII remake could work even with the old camera angles and stuff. I mean FFVII has ALOT of dialogue, and if every bit of it was turned into cutscenes the game would feel too much like a film. The majority of dialogue could be handled in the isometric/bird's eye view camera with character portraits in a visual novel kind of style, and important sequences could use in-game graphic cutscenes and the FMVs of the original would be prerendered cutscenes to keep the flow and feeling of the original intact while still adding a modern take to it. This would also be a much more reasonable way to remake the game resource-wise. VII is a huge game, and redoing it with even XIII level graphics let alone XV would simly be far too costly. This way the remake wouldn't consume hundreds of millions of dollars to produce, and it wouldn't take like ten years to finish.

But this is just my wishfull thinking. Considering the blatant slap to the face Square gave to everyone who wants a remake at Playstation Experince in december, it has become painfully obvious to me that we will never get a remake of VII, or even a small graphical enhancement to make the backgrounds less blurry or get rid of the lego block character models.

I think it would be reasonable to assume if a remake was done they wouldn't be going for a paradigm system, they would most likely do something completely new or that worked with the game itself while still being modern. from what I can tell 15 doesn't use a battle system similar to the paradigm system, it appears to be changed completely. much more seemless and fluid. square has always been about progressing and moving things forward with their main line of games, why would they go back to 13's system? because it complimented the game? well they may as well go back to atb if they wanted to do that. I don't believe they would take that approach. I think there is a greater chance they will come up with a new system which both feels modern and works with any quirks or neccessary parts of the old game. sure there is a big call for sticking with what works and I am a firm believer in that, but will square actually do that? unlikely. a remake of this calibur of game and in these modern technology times has high expectations especially with new audiences, with the technology available they have more freedom, the old systems were done that way out of neccessity and restrictions of the time. for better or for worse, a true remake would most likely be a totally different experience.
as for when and why this isn't happening, its all a matter of overheads and costs, being able to judge the climate for their games. if kh3 and ff15 are huge successes then this will be a step closer to the remake happening.

Only if they actually... Wait for it... Finish the game!

What we played and loved was 88% complete! Also with graphics designed for N64...

What I want is a finished playstation quality FF7.

Though I passed by this thread multiple times, as of present day (Now) as I look up online, the Remake is confirmed and/but yes it will be in PS4. Details are not given much but you can look up online though. My jaw dropped with excitement when the teaser trailer was released. However, I would still have voted NO for a REMAKE as I do have mixed feelings. :wacko:

FFVII was one of the breakthroughs of the FF franchise and of course the nostalgia levels. Setting them aside, I am very concerned of all the other factors that comes into place within the remake;
-Story
-Dialogue
-Flow of the Game
-Intensity & Dynamics
-Character
-Battle Mechanics etc.

FFVII has always have a unique touch to it that goes beyond the nostalgia factor, which is why many deem it as a masterpiece.
Doing a remake is like doing a gig of a song by Michael Brecker.
Either the you stay devoted the original or you prefer the contemporary arrangement.:captain::grin:

Mini concerns; Square Enix hasn't been growing the same maturing levels as compared to what Square Soft did in the past but oh well..But I didn't mean final fantasy series..I meant pure devotion to write a story(as story to me is number 1 in a FF game) which something I feel like Enix is lacking..maybe its just me :unsure:

Nevertheless, I probably will actually play the REMAKE game anyway.:giggle:

So after digesting part of the hype and emotions for this remake I'm feeling a little apprehensive. I started thinking up ways in which they could improve on the original and things they should avoid doing and I'm just gonna go ahead and post my ideas right here.

What made the original so great in my opinion was how everything came together so well. The soundtrack, visuals, story, environments and characters combined to hit the right notes at the right times and in such a way that I feel hasn't been matched in any Final Fantasy since. For the remake to be a success for me they'll have to recapture those powerful moments.

I'm also feeling a little scared with regards to the art direction. I'm assuming that's Barret walking in front of who is clearly Cloud, but they look a lot more like their Advent Children selves and a lot less like their FFVII selves which gives me the impression SE might be going for the more "realistic" approach rather than the stylised look of the original. I don't really mind that approach per se, obviously it's a lot harder to keep things realistic without bringing the characters' proportions into check, but I think one of the original's strongest features was it's art design (along with it's soundtrack). I'd hate for the environments and characters to go from what they were in the original to something similar to FFXV, which looks sterile by comparison. If the art design isn't similar to the original the remake won't be doing the original justice and I feel like a lot of the character of the game will have been lost. I honestly wouldn't mind it if Barret was twice the size of Cloud and Tifa's breasts made up a quarter of her body weight. I want to see the colour of the original and not Cloud in his black get up and Tifa in her black get up and Yuffie in her black get up etc etc...

Build around this please SE:

aramajapan_ffvii_playable_characters.jpg

The environments too. The reactor in the trailer looks amazing, but again I'm getting the impression that they're moving in the futuristic direction rather than the industrial era inspired steam punk look of the original. I'd prefer it to look more like the pic below than the setting for the next Metal Gear Solid game. Art direction is important, not polish. I don't want to hear how they had to remove a host of features because for some reason being able to count the hairs on Red XIII's body is more important than actual content.

1359951187580.gif

The soundtrack of the original was arguably the game's best feature but it obviously needs remastering. I really hope they don't do something foolish like attempt to fix what isn't broken by changing tracks that play at key moments.

I do think that they can add features and rework certain things to improve on the original. First off, the original isn't all that challenging and certain spells and abilities are just plain obsolete. I'd prefer for them to keep the battle system of VII, but maybe use this remake to expand on what FFX gave us with the ATB bar. I'd hate to see a battle system like XIII implemented. They should expand on the Goldsaucer, in particular the Chocobo Racing and Breeding and of course the Battle Square. What I'm thinking is maybe more chocobo colours and chocobo attributes in addition to stamina and speed. The Battle Arena should maybe introduce new modes of combat like full party mode, solo, a mode for each character and so on. Maybe a revenge mode too for boss fights already fought in game, like the red scorpion boss fought at the beginning but at maxed level and with abilities fit to challenge a high level party.

Also! More enemy skills please and more materia while we're at it with a lot more combinations. Break the damage limit to but only let critical hits of massive damage attacks come close to the limit, everything else should be in proportion. A physical attack should never be as effective as a Fire 3 (renamed Firaga please) that hits the weak spot - and costs MP!

What they shouldn't do is shoehorn in unnecessary dialogue and cutscenes to prop up the spin off titles. Maybe a little more to facilitate people's understanding of the original story seeing as many felt the story was unclear.

Really what I'm trying to say is they should just go ahead and hire me as the creative director.

Last edited:
Back