Final Fantasy VII Remake

Apparently after Versus, Nomura wants to work on KH.

this makes me sad as KH is a bad game :sad:
This is getting slightly off-topic... But...

KH is not a bad game, to me, KHII was the real stinker (I mean, the beginning alone made me feel like the game was made for kindergardeners). But, I know what you mean, more involvement from Nomura, Nobuo, and Yamano would bring back the spirit of the golden age of FF. Till then, I think SE should actually just stick with Remakes.

Moonchild said:
I would love to agree with you, but to be fair its most likely not the case. The hype over a FF remake has only really came up in recent years following the GBA rerelases and DS remake of III. Belive it or not people are ignorant, and have fallen into the obsessive mindset of the 'Remake'. "Because I-VI have been redone obviously means that VII is definitly next". The game is only 10 years old, a remake is not needed and SE knows it even if the Compilation of FFVII is racking in cash for them. Hense why they arn't doing it for years to come.
I believe people have been talking about wanting a remake long before the the rereleases ond GBA and DS. It isn't as new a topic as you may think.

Sure some, like yourself, want an 'improvment', but to be honest as long as its a game in shiny PS3 graphics that resemble FFVII with the text FFVII plasterd over the case then majority will be happy and this whole debate thing will start up again for FFVIII because ''ya'know its the next game, they DEFINITLY have to do it''....then IX, then X and X-2....in a double pack....then XII!....
I'm quite sure that everyone wants an improvement, in various forms. For many, it's the graphics. And while that's good and all, I personally want the fighting equations made more clear, instead of just getting items that give you yellow numbers, some plot holes can be patched, and some truly retarded lines fixed. EX:
Sephiroth: "This is the ultimate destructive magic, Meteor. When it falls all will be destroyed."
Cloud: "I don't understand what you're saying!"

XD But I know what you're getting at with the 'hype' and it moving onto the next game and the next and so on and so forth. But FF7 has a special place for SE (and it's fans) and the chances of them remaking it are very high, as is the chance of other FF games.

I wouldn't mind a remake, I think it'll be quite good, but I'm not gonna be one to say "OMGZ a FFVII remake, Its gonna be soooo coool" everytime someone else posts a topic about it. SE will not be doing the possibility of a remake for quite sometime, there rally is no need to get hyped up about it cos theres nothing to get hyped about.
I admit, some people go over the top when discussing the remake, but I belive that's due to too much sugar. You have to be realistic. SE has been doing quite a few remakes, and why would they stop at the (debatably) most popular game they ever produced? They may be toying with the idea right now. If they do remake it, it'll take about 4 years. So there's no knowing anytime soon.

By the way, the magazine image FF_Addict posted about a page ago was from EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) or 1UP.com. They reported it in June 06 article and SE's Yoshinori Kitase came out and officially said that such a project would take 300 people and 5 years to complete. And that there was no way they were developing one, which by the way means absolutely zilch coming from Square-Enix. As I've said before, they're best comprable to women. Half the time no means yes and yes means no but you'll never know the truth until it's past the fact so there's really no point in trying to guess. :dry:

When Kitase came out with his rebuttal, EGM officially replied by saying that they were sticking by their sources and were indeed correct. Honestly, I don't care if this was over the remake of "World Runner", I'm going to believe EGM because they are usually right. A similar situation happened with Sega and Virtua Fighter 5. EGM confirmed Virtua Fighter 5 for the PS3, Sega officially said "Hell no", and now you can order it here for the PS3. lol So you guys can place your bets but with Wada saying that Square-Enix was going to focus all it's efforts in 2007 on remakes and ports, I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't hear something concrete by fall.

I believe people have been talking about wanting a remake long before the the rereleases ond GBA and DS. It isn't as new a topic as you may think.
Not really. Its the compilation of FFVII thats done the most but the rereleases that have made the debate esculate. The games only 10 years old, knowone would expect anything this soon otherwise.

I admit, some people go over the top when discussing the remake, but I belive that's due to too much sugar. You have to be realistic. SE has been doing quite a few remakes, and why would they stop at the (debatably) most popular game they ever produced? They may be toying with the idea right now. If they do remake it, it'll take about 4 years. So there's no knowing anytime soon.
The reason why SE have rerelased the older games is to reintroduce them to the newer and younger fans who wouldnt have played them on the Nintendo's. III only got a whole new look because it was the only one not released outside Japan in recent years and didnt have a WS version to easily port like I + II. That is pretty much the basic idea of it all apart from making a shit load of cash. FFVII is still kinda new, avalible on current consoles etc and most people are familiar with it so it isn't part of the 'reintroducing FF' plan. Remember the games on the GBA are not actually remakes, but ports with additional extra's, only FF III has been remade properly. If SE is to do something with FFVII it will have to be a remake and not a simple port with extras. what people are wanting is not really what SE have been doing.

Hmmm maybe with all that said, maybe SE may soon decide on a PSP port of FFVII, with a new translation and additional stuff similar to what they have done with I-VI just to round off the compilation but its certainly not happening yet. But thats as far as I would expect out of them, an all out PS3 remake certainly ain't gonna happen.

FFVII Remake for the PS3?
Many people who love the Original too much won't want to see it but for people like me who haven't played the Original (and never will) because of the difference in Graphics, this will be a must, must buy game.

For the Record: I'm sorry but I have trouble staying focused on FFIX because the Graphics are too old let alone a game that came out years previous to it.

Moonchild said:
Not really. Its the compilation of FFVII thats done the most but the rereleases that have made the debate esculate. The games only 10 years old, knowone would expect anything this soon otherwise.

yet the PS3 was released quite earlier than expected as well. So you can't really depend on the age of something to determine when the upgrade will be available.

The reason why SE have rerelased the older games is to reintroduce them to the newer and younger fans who wouldnt have played them on the Nintendo's. III only got a whole new look because it was the only one not released outside Japan in recent years and didnt have a WS version to easily port like I + II. That is pretty much the basic idea of it all apart from making a shit load of cash.

The same can be said of FF7. The main thing is, like you said, to rope in the next generation of fans. Remaking one of the best games ever made would bring in a huge amount of people and dedicated fans. Add to that those who are already fans of the game, and you're looking at a huge profit. In the end it all comes down to money and customer loyalty. That's all that remakes really do, anyways.

FFVII is still kinda new, avalible on current consoles etc and most people are familiar with it so it isn't part of the 'reintroducing FF' plan. Remember the games on the GBA are not actually remakes, but ports with additional extra's, only FF III has been remade properly. If SE is to do something with FFVII it will have to be a remake and not a simple port with extras. what people are wanting is not really what SE have been doing.

It may be 'new' in terms of game history, but, with the growth of gaming and it's popularity, it's severly outdated. Not to mention that there's not enough copies to go around. Yet it's popularity has remained constant. Today, many of the fans are older, who have jobs and lives to get on with. It's time to refresh the populairity of the game. Now I'm not saying that their remaking the game (completley) anytime soon. But a remake is inevitable.

It may be 'new' in terms of game history, but, with the growth of gaming and it's popularity, it's severly outdated. Not to mention that there's not enough copies to go around. Yet it's popularity has remained constant.

That's chalk full of good stuff. I agree that "new" is a relative term. A decade isn't a long time. However, in the age where "outdated" is updated on a seasonly basis, the game is very outdated. It was noted for being in 3D. That was one of the selling points of the game. Now that's old!

And you're right, the popularity of the game has not faded but the accessability sure has. I just did a search on eBay. It's selling consistantly for $80+. That's scary. People want this game and can't find it. You might as well just beg Square to take your money. It's my favorite game on the face of the planet. I don't own it. Freaking ridiculous.

Which brings me to a thought... if you knew a remake of an old title was an inevitability, you would wait until you had the means to really show a graphical difference (ie - more than one console lifetime), until people couldn't wait any longer (Price point of original nearly double it release cost), and until hype was really up (Advent Children). I think they're going to give it to us soon. They've spent years primeing us. We're ready. They'll deliver.

yet the PS3 was released quite earlier than expected as well. So you can't really depend on the age of something to determine when the upgrade will be available.
Rly? I thought the PS3 has been released much later, us Britions are still waiting (as usuall >_<). Maybe the original plan was for the PS2 to last longer but then came the Wii and 360. Certainly shitted up that idea eh? However FFVII has nothing to compete with, there is no rush in the eyes of SE.

The same can be said of FF7. The main thing is, like you said, to rope in the next generation of fans. Remaking one of the best games ever made would bring in a huge amount of people and dedicated fans. Add to that those who are already fans of the game, and you're looking at a huge profit. In the end it all comes down to money and customer loyalty. That's all that remakes really do, anyways.

True but its still quite widely avalible in places. My local gamestore has tons of copies of that game at a mere £15! The way SE has been looking at it is that hardly anybody outside the hardcore gamers 'scene' has a NES or SNES, but alot of gamers who like Final Fantasy will surely have a Playstation. PS3 can handle PS titles meaning that FFVII is yet to be deemed 'obsolete' in this way.

It may be 'new' in terms of game history, but, with the growth of gaming and it's popularity, it's severly outdated. Not to mention that there's not enough copies to go around. Yet it's popularity has remained constant. Today, many of the fans are older, who have jobs and lives to get on with. It's time to refresh the populairity of the game. Now I'm not saying that their remaking the game (completley) anytime soon. But a remake is inevitable.
There is no doubt it not inevitable, it will come one day but just not anytime soon, not soon enough for everyone to be getting all hyped about it like they have. Still got FFXIII to go yet btw, that gonna take 10 years fully with the rest of its games. Oh and the Avalice Allience project, thats on the go now. And don't think SE are gonna neglect Kindom Hearts just because of all this FF activity, oh no they've got plans for that bad boy....

Basicly, when people realise that a FFVII remake just ain't gonna for a long way off then I'll be happy and find something else to bring them down with instead. Star Wars VII anyone?^_^

I think so.

I remember when I first saw the movie a couple of days after it came out. I was pretty fathomed over that opening scene that was familiar to me a long time ago. I got the information that it just showed the power of the PS3 and nothing more. I was dissappointed. (As everyone else was.) But then month after month, I kept hearing all the buzz that FF7 for the PS3 is a possibility.
BOTTEM LINE. I think that when they make all of the FFXIII's, we should see the remake on its way. Square-enix is already making the cash off of the other FF7-spinoffs so FF7 for the PS3 is no different. I personally think it would be awesome to be able to replay that game in the glory of today's graphics. Final Fantasy 7 was the first of them all that I played and my favorite game of all time! Nuff said.

Moonchild said:
Rly? I thought the PS3 has been released much later, us Britions are still waiting (as usuall
pinch.gif
). Maybe the original plan was for the PS2 to last longer but then came the Wii and 360. Certainly shitted up that idea eh? However FFVII has nothing to compete with, there is no rush in the eyes of SE.

In comparison to the gap between the PS1 and the PS2, the PS3 was very early. It's graphics are mind-blowing, but the overall performance is less than pleasing. It gives off heat like a space heater, weighs 11 lbs, and there's an overall lack of satisfactory performance in everything else besides gameplay. They've already released internet updates for it. This does not bode well. But it's release was indeed rushed to compete with the revolutionary controller capabilities of the Wii. Given more time, it would have been much better.

Which is why I belive that SE is certainly taking their time on any full remake of their prodigal
game. If they screw this up, they screw themselves.

True but its still quite widely avalible in places. My local gamestore has tons of copies of that game at a mere £15! The way SE has been looking at it is that hardly anybody outside the hardcore gamers 'scene' has a NES or SNES, but alot of gamers who like Final Fantasy will surely have a Playstation. PS3 can handle PS titles meaning that FFVII is yet to be deemed 'obsolete' in this way.
No, it isn't as 'widely available' as you may think.
Aztec Triogal said:
And you're right, the popularity of the game has not faded but the accessability sure has. I just did a search on eBay. It's selling consistantly for $80+. That's scary. People want this game and can't find it. You might as well just beg Square to take your money. It's my favorite game on the face of the planet. I don't own it. Freaking ridiculous.
Widely available? I think not. Aztec Triogal loves this game and doesn't own it. Why? You'd have to sell your soul to get a copy. Even LupineVoid has told us multiple times that he has been unable to finish the game because he has to keep borrowing it from a friend, and he can't find a resonably priced copy to own and finally finish the game. It's actually a very rare game to find.

And FF7 is one of those stories that never becomes 'obsolete'. But, like I said, the game is severly outdated.

There is no doubt it not inevitable, it will come one day but just not anytime soon, not soon enough for everyone to be getting all hyped about it like they have. Still got FFXIII to go yet btw, that gonna take 10 years fully with the rest of its games. Oh and the Avalice Allience project, thats on the go now. And don't think SE are gonna neglect Kindom Hearts just because of all this FF activity, oh no they've got plans for that bad boy....

Indeed they do have many games in development right now. I think this is a very smart move, as it will provide entertainment for fans while the big release (FF7 remake) is in the making. Otherwise, they'd be 'inactive' in terms of game production for a very, very, long time. By making all these games now and releasing them later, they give entertainment to the fans, keep the dedication, and have their hands free to really get to work. This isn't the only reason of course, but it certainly is one.

Basicly, when people realise that a FFVII remake just ain't gonna for a long way off then I'll be happy and find something else to bring them down with instead.
Don't get me wrong, I know that a remake is coming but most likely not any time soon. But people get impatient, get their hopes up, and get really excited and you'll have to live with it.

Actually...the PS3 was released early in the US in order to compete with the Wii...and it was probably a bad idea IMO.
My bf and I even went out of the way and payed $400 dollars for a wii since they were all sold out within a few days...

The only thing FFVII has going for it is a storyline and a great fanbase.
You're right, the game is totally outdated...But in the end, look at how many fans it still has...
A remake might ruin that fanbase...Especially now that all of the original designers have stepped down...

A remake might ruin that fanbase...Especially now that all of the original designers have stepped down...

Mrh? With all the graphic whores out there, it would be easy to please about half (probably more) of the gamers out there with just graphics. Sad, but true, lol.

And I thought all the designers (well, not all but a lot of them) were still on.

Sakaguchi took a lot of people with him. There are still originals but the majority of the top guys are gone. Kitase is still there and he was the director of the game... so it's not all bad.

Thanks AT!

Well there, you see? Not everything has gone down the crapper at SE. As long as they change some of those retarded lines, i'm happy.
Anyways, there is one thing to be concerned about: them dropping the turn-based fighting system. XIII apparently has a realtime fighting system, from what we know. Since the remake is far down the road, and if the new fighting system is a hit, the way of fighting in FF7 may be gone as we know it. Who knows? I truly like the turn-based fighting, but SE could make a larger use of the graphics in a different system.

As of right now nothing has been made certain or been confirmed by Square, Sir Strife. A lot of us know and have signed that online petition but it doesn't necessarily mean that Square is really going to do it. We're all confused as to what's going on right now. As for the character designers, Nomura is the one who actually designs them with the concept sketches and all. In the Reunion Files, I was just browsing through it the other night and saw Nomura's concept sketches of Cloud, Sephiroth and Tifa (I think it was those three) So designing/graphics wise, I think it'll all be just fine. I'm sure if they do remake it, the same group who got together to create Advent Children and the FMVs for Dirge of Cerebus will group together again to create this game.

No, it isn't as 'widely available' as you may think. Widely available? I think not. Aztec Triogal loves this game and doesn't own it. Why? You'd have to sell your soul to get a copy. Even LupineVoid has told us multiple times that he has been unable to finish the game because he has to keep borrowing it from a friend, and he can't find a resonably priced copy to own and finally finish the game. It's actually a very rare game to find.
First of all... I was mentioned in another person's post! *bows* I am not worthy, I am not worthy-

*clears throat*

Anyway... To tell the truth, I've only actually seen FFVII in three places. Sam Goody, My friends hands, and my PS2's CD tray when I'm borrowing it from him. And that Sam Goody thing was like, a year or two ago, before the release of the PS3, so I'm certain it's not there now. The main reason I'm still enthusiatic about a remake is because I never owned my own copy, never got through disc one completely because I always had stuff to do IRL, etc...

I also agree with the statement about real-time. Turn-based gameplay is a staple of FF and it works. I feel like it's hard to strategize a battle in real-time; also, I hated FFXII's real-time system specifically... It was pretty much going into an action menu like the previous games, and tedious walking up to the enemy you were attacking... Which bores me... It's not a real-time Fighting system, it's a turn-based menu, real-time walking system.

ive got mixed feelings about a remake. ff7 is a classic game and theyv kinda been takin the piss a little with all these spin off games, and i think it wud be silly to remake a game which has had so many other things done to it already. however if they remade it i WOULD buy it.lol. i would rather see them remake ff8 or do something with another final game cuz i think it would be more interesting than another game about cloud, tho i like the guy.......

Do we even need a remake? Sure the graphics are outdated, but we all liked this game the first time around and we all still do enjoy it.

I'd be afraid of the voice acting. But I've never liked talking video games.

Why don't they just rerelease the original?

Back