Final Fantasy VII Remake

You and I must have different definitions of perfect. If a game has translation issues, I'll never deem it as perfect.
Well, I mean several things at once. On on hand, I don't treat perfect as an abstract concept. In its own context, the English-language release we had in 1997 was perfect, right down to the shoddy translation work. It was, after all, the release that sparked a flood of mainstream interest in jRPGs among Westerners. Just as I consciously made the decision to download Final Fantasy "II" for my Wii despite owning the PS1 edition of Final Fantasy IV, because it was gaming history, I defend the 1997 American FFVII as worthy of preservation.

But at the same time, I treat perfect as also synonymous with pure. For me, the Japanese original script and gameplay (including the absence of Emerald and Ruby) and the pre-PS1-hardware rendering are the gold standard. I'm not a radical purist; I recognize and agree that for absolute purity one has to play the game on the CRT screen for which it was programmed, and I just don't want to go back to those clunky things. That's why I'm willing to accept refinements of resolution. I'm willing to accept new translations (though I want to preserve the old ones) because they move us closer to the original vision for the story in the Japanese version. But I feel--especially with the GBA, DS, and iOS rereleases--that we're entering into some George Lucas territory when we start tweaking the in-hardware graphics and gameplay and adding in voice acting.

A remake damages the influence of either possibility--a preserved 1997 American release or a remastered version--because, just as we're likely to see with the new Ghostbusters movie, the new generation will only be interested in the most recent reboot.

I totally agree with what mothcorrupteth said about people focusing more on the new generation. The reason why today's players are more interested into the new generation than the old generation is because of the different era that we are living in. The players grew up experiencing different types of graphics when they started to play games in their era. That is the reason why today's game players are focused on the new generation because of the graphics. Back in the days when PlayStation came out for the first time , the players from that era experienced games which they had 2D and 3D graphics.

Those players found those graphics to be the best ones in that time. They tought of them to be better than the previous games because it was something new to them at that time. When the PlayStation 2 came out, it was another whole new thing to them. Again because of the graphics improvement that they saw in it. Now the players from the PlayStation era loved to play the PlayStation 2 games more than the PlayStation ones because of the graphics changes the games had.

So as the graphics keeps evolutionizing, the less interest the players will be to the past games. The players gets used to the types of graphics they have played. That's the reason why there are alot of remakes and remaster of the old school games been developed in today's gaming industry. The players falls in love with a game that they have played in the past that they use their imaginations of the game been in today's graphics, that they start to discuss about it, and showing their interest to the game. That's when the Final Fantasy VII remake discussion came out and was officially announced.

This shows us how much the game industry has evolutionized throughout the years that it changes the way of the players to choose which graphic style they want to play as. It also let's the players experience the game with a different view than their previous experiences. That is why Final Fantasy VII fans are hyped about the remake. They are starting to see the Final Fantasy VII remake as a successful game, even though there are still so much to be revealed about it.

I have to say it. I'm hoping the remake will flesh out Zack's character more as we progress through the episodes. After all, Cloud took from his persona quite a bit, and the character's history is extensive/rich. Let's utilize it.

I have to say it. I'm hoping the remake will flesh out Zack's character more as we progress through the episodes. After all, Cloud took from his persona quite a bit, and the character's history is extensive/rich. Let's utilize it.

It will be cool if we get to play as him on the remake to learn from his past. Also I would like to see more deep into the story of the avalanche team. They should do that as a DLC to make the story longer. Also I would like to see more of the Lucrecia incident that happened in the snowy village.

It will be cool if we get to play as him on the remake to learn from his past. Also I would like to see more deep into the story of the avalanche team. They should do that as a DLC to make the story longer. Also I would like to see more of the Lucrecia incident that happened in the snowy village.

Didn't Crisis core do that? I may need to replay the game but wasn't Zack fleshed out? Agreed about everything else.

Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core did show us the full story of Zack as he was the protagonist of the game. I'm not sure if the remake will show some flashbacks of Zack once we reach certain points of the game like Nibelheim and Gongaga. I don't seem to why Zack should be fleshed out in the remake. He was fine in Crisis Core to me. I've been thinking about the Materia System alot and I've been asking myself, how will it function with the new battle system?

How will the materia combos would work with the battle system? That is something that no one has been talking about. That is what made the game so unique. Any ideas?

I'm less interested in seeing more of Zack as we saw a lot of him in Crisis Core. I wouldn't mind nods to his past or extended flashback sequences, but we don't need to spend too long there.

I'd prefer to see them flesh out characters who we've not yet seen fleshed out in any significant way. How about more Red XIII scenes?

I'd also quite like to see them deal with Cait Sith a bit more. He's the 'inside guy' for a while. Reeve controls him while he works at Shinra, yet we really don't see how he does this. Does he retreat to a secret place so that nobody spots him? Does he need to keep focused mentally on Cait Sith all of the time, or can he just give orders and then carry on with his work in Midgar? Some back and forth scenes could be interesting. People remember Cait Sith as this cat riding an idiotic moogle doll, but there is much more behind that doll.

I'd be hugely disappointed if all we got from a remake was FFVII with extra Cloud, Zack and Sephiroth.

It will be cool if we get to play as him on the remake to learn from his past. Also I would like to see more deep into the story of the avalanche team.
I dunno about making him playable. Just a more fleshed out history of the character could do nicely.

I'd be hugely disappointed if all we got from a remake was FFVII with extra Cloud, Zack and Sephiroth.
Agreed with Cloud and Sephiroth. They've always been the most hyped of the characters. If they could find a way to balance all of the characters in general, though, that'd be fantastic.

I'm less interested in seeing more of Zack as we saw a lot of him in Crisis Core. I wouldn't mind nods to his past or extended flashback sequences, but we don't need to spend too long there.

I'd prefer to see them flesh out characters who we've not yet seen fleshed out in any significant way. How about more Red XIII scenes?

I'd also quite like to see them deal with Cait Sith a bit more. He's the 'inside guy' for a while. Reeve controls him while he works at Shinra, yet we really don't see how he does this. Does he retreat to a secret place so that nobody spots him? Does he need to keep focused mentally on Cait Sith all of the time, or can he just give orders and then carry on with his work in Midgar? Some back and forth scenes could be interesting. People remember Cait Sith as this cat riding an idiotic moogle doll, but there is much more behind that doll.

I agree with you on that. The other characters should be fleshed out to see more deep into their story. Characters like Cid, Yuffie, Red XIII, Caith Sith and even Professor Gast should have more scenes and expand their story visually. They didn't have as much scenes as Cloud, Tifa, Zack and Sephiroth did. There is also the original Avalanche Team. It would be a plus if Square Enix add a bit more about them too.

I can't find the article again, but I'd recently read the game will be released in three episodes/installments? I do remember reading some time ago that it would come in parts, but it wasn't said how many.

Can anyone confirm this? Because if so, that's interesting, because the original game was three discs. :O

I can't find the article again, but I'd recently read the game will be released in three episodes/installments? I do remember reading some time ago that it would come in parts, but it wasn't said how many.

Can anyone confirm this? Because if so, that's interesting, because the original game was three discs. :O

Yes, the remake will be a three part episodic game. It was announced a few months ago. Some people don't like the idea of this game been an episodic game. Each episode will be a full-sized game according to Kitase. We have to wait for new information about the remake on the next game show.

tumblr_nyyrq4kjrW1qkyrq9o1_400.gif

cloud's biceps are like 10" around :toni:

if they dont fix this shit im not gonna get this game i don't even care if they show a clerith makeout. im being legit here folks.

tumblr_obw1d70ETX1qjdex2o2_500.png

LOOK AT THEM
they look like t-rex arms. they dont even look real. they just look so bad.

why did they make the action figure so much bigger??

tumblr_oao3ljn6J11qjdex2o6_1280.jpg

(im so bored)

I like his arms thin that way. That's the way his character has always been, from the concept art all the way back in the original. I think it's smart, because it puts emphasis on the strength offered to those who've been infused with Jenova's Cells and Mako.

Plus, I personally just like nonsense like that, lol. It gives the game a bit more of a fantastical and comical feel. I really, really don't want to play another game with a generic, badass buff white guy as the main character; particularly because just swinging around that sword would require a guy at least the size of the original Barret design, lol.

I like his arms thin that way. That's the way his character has always been, from the concept art all the way back in the original. I think it's smart, because it puts emphasis on the strength offered to those who've been infused with Jenova's Cells and Mako.

Plus, I personally just like nonsense like that, lol. It gives the game a bit more of a fantastical and comical feel. I really, really don't want to play another game with a generic, badass buff white guy as the main character; particularly because just swinging around that sword would require a guy at least the size of the original Barret design, lol.

I guess it's all about preference, but in the original game, when you’re in the Honeybee Inn, Don Corneo will call Cloud ‘healthy looking’ in English, but in Japanese he calls him ‘big-boned; stout’:「この骨太のおなごだ!」But Don says to Aerith “This slender ( ほそっこい ) little girl!“ and he also calls Tifa ‘元気/healthy;robust’, proving that Cloud looks larger than an already strong and MUSCLED woman.

And if Cloud isn’t chosen one of the men will say this to Cloud; “Hey…you’re in pretty good shape. Look it your tight little bod……No, it’s more like…muscles…”
In Japanese he just calls Cloud's body "nice" and says his body is "plump":「あんた、なかなかいいカラダしてるねェ。こう、ムッチリと……」The word that I bolded ムッチリ means “plump” or ‘voluptuous’.

They’re calling Cloud ‘plump’ and ‘voluptuous’ because Cloud’s body looks LARGER than even an average women that works out (Tifa). They’re mistaking his muscles for body fat because his muscles are hidden under the gown and gown sleeves. If his arms had been exposed they would have seen that the thickness of his arms were muscles, not fat.

Right before you enter Don’s mansion one of the men will say this to Cloud “Pretty hard. You work out?” Which is this in Japanese: 「……ん? かたいねぇ。きたえてるの?」which means ‘ hard; solid; tough’ while きたえてる means ‘you work out?’.

All of this suggests that Cloud was LARGE in muscle mass. If he was as thin as he was in the remake’s trailer, NONE of these characters could have detected he was plump or fat under the dress. That said, BEFORE Cloud wears a dress, the dress maker refers to Cloud as “A tough lookin’ guy”. He wouldn’t think Cloud looks tough if he looked thin or deathly. The Cloud we see in the remake trailer doesn't fit the game's description of Cloud.

Back