FFX-2 FFX-2: Love It or Hate It?

Love it or hate it?

• Love It

Votes: 39 65.0%
  • Hate It

Votes: 21 35.0%

• Total voters
I find it a hard one to call. On the one hand I enjoyed going back to Spira and seeing how things had changed etc. and it was cool just to have another story taking place in that world as I really loved X. However, that was the problem for me. I loved X so much that it was hard not to see X-2 as just....meh. I liked the job system and it was fun trying to get 100% on all the missions, but I lived at home with my mum at this time and I can't begin to describe the awkwardness when she would walk into the room and see me, her teenage son, playing a game involving finding dresses for three sexy anime characters. Even worse when she found me massaging Leblanc......D:

I dont like the story, and i dont care for the characters. but this game does have some fun gameplay, i think the dressphere idea was a nice spin on the job system.

I'd say I enjoyed to an extent, it gave me a few wtf moments with the dancing and singing and out of it dialogue but I loved the battle system and grew to like the story. It was quite refreshing and relaxing compared to the usual angst and drama in these games. The mini games were hit and miss for me, sphere break and gunner's gauntlet were okay, blitzball and that weird massage game kinda sucked.

I really like the new game plus, wish more FFs had it

storyline wise was great. it finished the tale of X off in a great fashion..if you got 100% completion ;) if you only got the basic ending i feel it would have been a rip off. i actually played the game and beat it 4 times over.

game play was great too. wasn't complicated at all. and it had its dull moments but it was very enjoyable.

I get a lot of guff for this, but I can't stand this game, and honestly, I don't think it needed to be made. I thought X's ending was decent enough, and could leave enough to the imagination.

The job system was unique, but tiresome, and the characters weren't interesting. The story didn't have any lasting appeal, too.

I actually don't think I can vote either way on this one. I don't 'love' the game because of how awkward it was in its girliness, and I don't 'hate' the game because I greatly appreciated having something to ease the pain of X's ending, and certain aspects/moments did have legitimate charm to them. On another positive note, the battle system was interesting but I wouldn't call it superior to X's. On another negative note, most of the game's maps and models were straight up ripped from X's assets. Some enemies got basic retexturing jobs, but other than that, barely anything on-screen was new, and that made it rather boring to look at.

So yeah...pluses and minuses are many, but they pretty much even out to where I don't care one way or the other.

Yuna threw down her rod and took up... guns? And who...? That's Rikku, but who's that emo thing? (my first impression of the cover)

What was that dooky pot-bellied thing under the dance floor - WHY is there a dance floor? (First impression of game)

Who is that dorky Tidus-looking guy - and why should I care about Paine's past - that shooting mini-game is sooo tough... (Midway impression)

I can't find that stupid cactuarkid! (3/4 impression)

That fool with his blasted piano!!! ARGH, I must KILLL HIM!! - (End impression)

Oh. Well that sorta makes sense, (embarrassed) but... was it worth it?

I think not.

I love it. It's my gaming guilty pleasure. It's like a fatty chocolate cake with way too much cream and hot raspberry sauce that you know that you shouldn't dive into, but you do and while you somehow regret every bite that swirls around your mouth you can't help but secretly enjoy it.

It's really cheesy and I loathe what they did to Rikku... but it's really fun and entertaining and fantastic for when you're having a shitty day. It's sorta poor and a bad sequel to a good game; but it's my chocolate cake.
:britt:

Love it.

FFX-2 is actually my second favourite Final Fantasy game, after FFXII...well, maybe third favourite, after FFVI. But FFX-2 clearly wasn't supposed to be taken seriously, so I don't see why people - especially FFX fans - get so worked up by it. It was a silly, light-hearted, utterly unnecessary sequel to a popular game that just had some fun with the characters by turning them into magical girls. It's not like it utterly destroyed FFX, so what's the problem? The Dressphere System was little more than a glorified job system (and the basis for FFXIII's Paradigm system, thinking on it) but it wasn't a BAD system, and the gameplay wasn't particularly bad. It was a step up from FFX's strictly turn-based combat anyway; arguably, it was what FFX's combat should have been liked in the first place.

In a genre that is becomingly increasingly stale outside of Nippon Ichi and Gust - who don't make what one might call "traditional" JRPGs - FFX-2 was a breath of fresh air, as it was more of a mockery than anything else. This made it enjoyable, not bad. Granted, if you took it seriously it was one of the worst Final Fantasy games - although nowhere near as bad as XIII or XIII-2 - but if you took it at face value, it was the most enjoyable FF game to that date.

It's not like it utterly destroyed FFX, so what's the problem?

I totally agree with ya ^^. FFX was a great game indeed. Was it really in need of a squeal? Nah it ended perfectly fine however, it really was a laid back kind of game to me. I didn't take it to heart and I didn't think less of X because of it. Yuna, Rikku and Paine were the perfect girl trio. They went around Spira doing a bunch of bullshit but you know what? who cares? it's not like something really dramatic happened which may have ruined X. :neomon::ryan: It was the total opposite of X-- but it was something that I think X could have been improved on (such as the linear-ness) and i enjoyed the game. Was it my fave? No. but i did like it.

I don't love it and I don't hate it.

I do have my complaints, but I can still appreciate the game for what it is. I can analyze this kind of stuff to death, but in the end, all that matters is whether or not I had fun, which I did. It's a fun, light-hearted game. Not to mention, there's quite a bit of nostalgia attached to it for me. It broke my FF virginity, boys, holla~

The fact that the game following FFX was such an upbeat, light hearted, 'girl power'-game probably disappointed a good lot of people.Personally, I liked it.

I love it. It was one of the first Final Fantasy games I ever played - my friend had it on PS2 and I would go round his house to play - and really it introduced me to the series. Not something many people say!

I think the main issue for many people stems from the fact it follows on directly from X with such a drastic change of pace and a very different vibe. I wonder if, of-course with a different storyline and it would have different characters, it were a stand-alone game in the series if it would have been better received.

For me it’s just fun: the more open world and many different missions make for interesting play through with different outcomes to the main plot as well as various subplots, the job system offers so much in terms of team development and the battle system and mechanics give a more realistic, real time battle feel (active time plus chain attacks).

I appreciate my view on this game may be biased by a heavy amount of nostalgia as well as the fact it was what brought me to the series. I imagine that we’re X-2 and Tactics Advance not the first games in the series I played, let’s say I started with X and VI, I may well feel very differently about them. But I’ll say that I believe X-2 isn’t supposed to be the same as X and the very lighthearted feel is what makes it work as just a fun game.

Hate it.

Hate it, hate it, HATE IT.

Everything about the game is an abomination from top to bottom. No, I'm not mindlessly going off of what the "groupthink tank" that is the FF fanbase generally thinks; I was genuinely appalled by what I had witnessed. With its obnoxious music, ridiculous outfits worn by the three main girls, overtly fast-paced gameplay, non-compartmentalized battle system, preposterous mini-games and side-quests, and graphics that have been mostly reused from FFX, I was only left with myself trying so hard to have an open mind and not seethe with quiet resentment...it didn't work for very long. I had only managed to get about 16% of the way into the game before I quit. 😐

Where X gave the player time to stop, think, recollect, get a sense of where they need to go and what to do from here and soak in the game's atmosphere, all X-2 ever seems interested in doing is bludgeoning you over the head for what feels like every 15 seconds. It was the kind of experience that made me go, "Who the fuck WOULD find this kind of game appealing? A horny, giddy 11-year old boy who had just gotten 'the talk?' Heck, if I know..." :smh:

Furthermore, I heard that the project was an extremely stressful experience for Noriko Matsueda, one of the game's composers, so much so that her skin, nutrition AND sleep literally began to decline, which left her to not only resign from Square after doing work on Last Mission, but to also retire from music altogether. In addition, I also heard that Hironobu Sakaguchi was uncomfortable about having Tidus and Yuna reunite when the player finishes the game 100%!

And I have yet to come across a FF fan who actually LIKED the way both Yuna and Rikku were portrayed in this game...also, I take back pretty much every negative assessment I've made of Yuna on this forum, as I was stood much more corrected after actually playing X myself, and after seeing how much more of a ditzy, air-headed valley girl they made both Y and R in X-2. :xP:

Last edited:
Back