FFVII : Love It or Hate It?

I'm playing it for the first time and thinks it deserves all the praise it gets. The fun battle mechanics and awesome characters and character development just adds to the entrancing story.

Im sorry but cloud is my personal favorite even his personality

FF7 is the best my dad loves FF6 and my friend loves FF10 but 6 did not have enough adventure and 10 was too easy 7 had lots of story,exploration,twists,cool powers,materia,great weapons, and everybody had a bunch of limts and they were all unique

Last edited by a moderator:
of course everyone here is going to love it surely .....why would you sign up to a ff site just to say actually no i hated it :S

I do love it, truly, but... The game is just so broken. Things like the W-item glitch or Cait Sith's limit break, 7777, etc just destroy the game and make it much easier than it already is

Shigeru Myamoto's mother died during production, this caused him to redo the story!

what we got was a story based on the 7 stages of grief... We saw, played this mans adaptation of his grief of losing his mum!

(I could write paragraphs, go on YouTube, that one video gamer explains better and In detail!)

This is why it remains the best game ever made...

How very dare you Kuja9001!

6 is great but not at the level of 7, 4 is better! 2 is better than 6... Just!

For nostalgia 1 is at same level as 4!

9 is good, but 8 is better and please... Triple triad is miles ahead of terra master crap!

In fact in order of best:

1. 7
2. 4 and 1
3. 12
4. 2
5. 6 and 8
6. 9
7. 10
8. 3
9. 5
10. Tactics

Last edited:
Love opinionated posts like this. I LOVE FFVII however in my opinion it's the second worst FF game in the entire main-line series. I guess it's a matter of perspective when it comes to your Fanboi-ness. However those that think FFVII is the greatest thing, I would like you to ask yourself this ... "Why do I love it so much more than any other FF game? What makes it stand out head and shoulders above all others?" There are alot of things wrong with that game, especially in the mechanics compared to it's brethren. Just my opinion and maybe some food for though?

I'm really in between about this game. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Granted, this was my first final fantasy game EVER, so there's definitely some nostalgia whenever I play it. But to be honest...the more I think about it the more I realize that nostalgia is all it has for me.
Most of the characters seem bland and 2-dimensional to me. Cloud, while hot, is a rather boring character to me. Tifa is just there for a pretty face and unrequited love. My favorite characters are Zack and Vincent, and they're barely even in it! I played their spinoff games and loved them more than this game!
The plot is super confusing, and raises more questions then it gives answers. And trust me, I've poured over its lore trying to answer all the questions, and it doesn't end very well.
The combat is the usual final fantasy combat, which I love. However, the materia system is dumb, takes up a LOT of time to get good, but can also easily break the game if you spend your time doing it.
The music is, of course, amazing. Nobuo Uematsu is one of my favorite composers of all time. It is my favorite part of the game.

So yeah. Don't love it, don't hate it.

I posted on this thread several years ago but I wanted to elaborate a little more and maybe attempt to be just a little less smug.

No, I don't like this game. I loved it when I was younger, finally getting around to finishing it in my early teenage years when I had more focus. But when I got older and replayed, it wasn't remotely as good as I remembered. On a second playthrough, I find a lot of things I couldn't stand. I found the story dull. The combat system lacked any strategy or much variety since there were no longer character classes with specific attributes (each character only having a specific weapon to have them look like certain classes doesn't count, and some people will probably mention the limit breaks but I don't see why I should have to fill a combat meter to get a feel for what my character is supposed to be when it should be a constant thing if they are indeed that class) and I got through the game using very few Materia skills, yet didn't find any main section of the game difficult. Character customization felt really brainless, at least in regards to Final Fantasy II and V (I'm giving those as an example to stay in the frame of the FF franchise). I didn't like the characters themselves either. The whole game's atmosphere and characters had this "brooding for the sake of brooding" feel that really rubbed me wrong. And the graphics were terrible, even for the time. Though, to the game's defense, I can't really recall any PS1 titles that used 3D character models over pre-rendered backgrounds with a static camera that did look good.

The were two things I did like about the game. I thought the soundtrack was superb. And the setting, being reminiscent of a cyberpunk type of design, was interesting. But I can't really bring myself to call those redeeming qualities since they didn't enhance the gameplay by much.

So, yeah. I wouldn't say I hate this game, at least not anymore. I've played worse.

Hate it or love it? Tis the question. Much like alot of people out there in the gaming universe, FF VII was my 1st ever RPG and my 1st FF game I ever played. I can still remember playing the demo disk my uncle had which contained the reactor mission. I played the hell out of that. I can still remember always going through it constantly because it was so much fun. Using Lightning and Ice just blew my mind as a kid because it looked so badass. Not to mention that Cloud looked like an absolute ass kicker with the buster sword and how his battle stance is.

I went out with my uncle the day that game came out and he got a shirt with it. It had the FF 7 logo and it had Cloud on the back, along with his age, blood type, and some other random stuff. Sadly I can't find it :sad3:
He played the fuck out of that game and I watched him everyday all day because of how awesome it was.

Regardless of how I feel of all the spinoffs and how its been whored out, this game will always have a place in my heart. It represents my childhood and got me started as a gamer. I will always love this game.

This game and Star Ocean: The Second Story were the first RPGs I'd ever played, so it's definitely still a game that sticks out to me. Do I think it's been trumped by others in the series since? Yeah, but that doesn't make it any less great; it's up there in status.

Now, let's hope the remake can even hold a candle to the original game. :lew:

I love this game and it is a very good experience. It is a game that I have to complete at least once and the the remake could be even better than the original.

Love it :)

It's the first FF I discovered, I was 11-12 yo, it was a my cousin's house, he was at the battle square of gold saucer and when I saw those fights, the music, magic I told him 'what's this game, looks so cool'
I only had the N64 at this time. I asked for Xmas the Ps one with FF7. Since this time I follow almost all FF.

FF7 has a great story and environment, battle system is still actually one of the best of the FF series in my opinion.

I loved the game. This and Resident evil made my childhood on the PS1.

I've never been so hooked/fascinated by a game ever.

I remember the first time I had the game, and sitting up all day and night playing this. Had never experience anything like it before. I had no idea what materia was or how to combine it.

My first play through of the game must have been well over 100 hours, and I'm positive I missed out so much.

Since then I have replayed it over 10 times, and i'm almost at that 100% on the steam version of it as well! I just need to find the time to go back and get the last few Achievements now.

Love it, easily my favourite of the series. Everything about it resonated so well with me. Well except for Sephiroth, who I didn't think was that great of a villain.

Back