FFVII : Love It or Hate It?

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
If you had to pick, would you say you love the game, or hate the game? Explain the reasons why you feel this strongly about the game in this thread and share your opinions.

Please try and elaborate on your posts, as short spammy posts may be deleted without warning.

I love FFVII, I like every character in some way apart from Cloud who drives me insane for some reason. If it wasn't for his looks I would 100% hate him.
Anyway, the story is great. I love the lifestream and how the lifestream looks. I love how they ripped off Lego (essentially) for me it was endlessly amusing to watch lego characters run around and then have properly shaped versions of said characters in some scenes.
Some may hate the spin-offs but I like every one of them, I love Genesis in Crisis Core, I found Advent Children to be a great movie and DoC was fun.
Sephiroth is in my top 5 villains of all time in FF as well. Red XIII and Cait Sith are beyond awesome.

Anyways, overall a great game but I am not going to go as far as to say the best FF, FFX still holds that in my mind :)

wow just wow
the story about cloud when he discovers the truth, and the moment that sephiroth killed aeris/aerith.
and the characters who are following cloud until the end.
i played the games + the spin-offs and the movies.
and its the best final fantasy ever published!!!

I could go on for an incredibly long time so I'll keep it rather short.

Even if you're not an ultra fan, its difficult not to love a game that pushed RPGs to the forefront of gaming. VII became a symbol of Square's ambition, Square having made the bold move from developing for Nintendo to switching to Sony.

The move was catalysed by a desire to make a massive game. A game that would include FMVs for the first time in the FF series and would span an unbelievable three discs.

Could you imagine pitching to your bosses that you wanted to make a game so huge it would need three discs to operate? At a time when cartridges were still in widespread usage? The very thought would have seemed ludicrous.

The character roster is also incredible. Whether you love him or hate him, Cloud is probably the best protagonist the series has ever seen. A man acclimatised to the ravages of war, fittingly playing the role of a mercenary in a dystopian world where morality is so cheaply compromised.

Then there's the iconic death of
Aeris
. Players had never experienced the death of a
main character
and were thrown a curveball when it did happen. I myself was left stunned by it, I kept thinking "No, surely not. Surely Cloud's dreaming." A stunning plot twist and Square deserve huge credit for such an incredibly gutsy move that paid huge dividents to the player's experience and indeed the entire series.

I could go on about Nobuo Uematsu's music composition, the visual and graphical design and the gameplay design that has set the precedent and served as a template for FFs and RPGs after its release.

The only problem is it's been done to death :gonk:. I feel the spinoffs were for money rather than ambition, merit and fan appreciation, something I used to relate to Square...

I have yet to find another Final Fantasy game or ANY game that has as great of a story as Final Fantasy 7. Each character has a great and unique personality, my two favorites were Cid and Cloud haha. I love how you feel greatly for all the characters (except maybe Yuffie in my opinion) when they under go hardships. no story has as great of a plot in my opinion as ff7.

hi..I'm new here my two favorites is sephroth and zack there no way for cloud to be my favourites:mad:

I wouldnt say I loved it, not at all. Its good, but I dont love it. Its ok. But I also dont hate it. If anything I hate the OTT fanboys who ruin it for everyone else by going on about Cloud and Sephy being beyond amazing or slagging Tifa off, etc.

absolutly LOVE FFVII, wish i never played it so hard... but it was so addictive... an finished it too fast... so i played through again ^O^

Love it, because it has the best cast of characters of any Final Fantasy game by far in my honest opinion. It also has a really good soundtrack, story, battle system, and gameplay in general, the only thing I really don't like is Cait Sith...

But every game has something to hate, no? For Final Fantasy VII, to me, that thing is the character Cait Sith. Annoying as heck, and stole almost all of Nanaki's chances to have a line in Advent Children...but that's just part of the challenge of it, as I see it. xD

I couldnt stand yuffie she really wound me up! :( I liked vincent and cloud so much as they get along so well!

Its like an unspoken bond between them, coming from the same kind of back ground at Shinra.Inc they have the inside edge in fighting the Corperation.

Anyway, I'm not sure I can articulate just what kind of difference this game has made to my gaming life, its just really great, really really great.....really!

Its like the best adventure FF game in the series, it ticks all of my boxes in terms of:

Characters
Story & Plot
Materia
Battle Dynamics

It may sound Fanboy, but whatever its what I wanted to say.:seph:

Last edited:
Love it. Have to agree with the lovers in here, for the same reasons. Although, I suppose one of the main contributing factors to my love for Final Fantasy VII is the music and battle system. They are just spot on. I have this infatuation with materia, so much so that I was prepared to buy some fake materia memoribilia off ebay. :|

the only problem i had witht his game was the first time through i was so lost with the grafics lol that may just be me being picky but graphics help a game alot in my opinion lol but all in all a great game luved cloud reno and cait sith XD

I love it, it is a awesome game to play. The reason I love Final Fantasy VII is because of it's epic storyline. It also has well developed characters, great music, great plot and a unique battle system. It is the greatest Final Fantasy game of all times!

Who could hate 7. This was the best game in the series IMO. I have to say out of all of the villains in FF:seph: was the best. Although :seymour: takes a close second. I think that there were a few things that could have been improved about cloud but not much. I liked how (mostly) everything was explained at the beginning of the game. Yeah defiantly love it.

(Personally, I think you guys should have been expecting this post as soon as I got out of Survivor. :wacky:)

It's no secret at all that I hate this game. Yes, I played it when it first came out, and no, I didn't find it great even then. Everything about this game screams mediocre. I didn't like the cast of characters, and to this day, I find the story to be rather bland. Even the graphics, which are held to such high standards, weren't the greatest, even for its time. (Mind you, for its time, it had good graphics, they just weren't the best.)

Gameplay was pretty solid, but I didn't like the Materia system. It wasn't broken or anything, I just didn't like the concept of it.

Not only that, the game is massively overrated. 10+ years later and I'm still having to dig through fanwank all the time. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if I so much as say "I don't like FFVII", you get people jumping out of the woodwork to fucking kill me. -__- (So far, only one or two people from FFF have pulled this. However, on other forums, flame shield has to be up at all times.)

I could go on and on, but every argument I have against the game, I've posted somewhere else before.

If you want me to go on, to go more in depth, I'll be more than happy to type up a huge 3 page essay on it tomorrow. :wacky:

I absolutely loved it. I love how bittersweet the story was for Cloud. I loved the music, the battle system, the characters, and the tragic story.

It's just a great game. I bought it twice, got the game guide, and I played it over and over again so many times. Heck, I'd be playing it now if my PS2 loaded the damn game.

I think I love it just because how different of a game it is. I had never played one like it before and I just really loved it. I can't lie, though. The thing that got me into the game was Cloud and Aerith after I saw Kingdom Hearts I.

But after I started a game I just fell in gamer-love <33

I love it. The characters were all unique and interesting with their own stories. The battle system was one of the best in the series.(It would be the best, but I don't really like the materia system.) The villians were awesome, namely :seph: :seph::seph: and Shinra Inc. was pretty cool to. The main problem (barely a problem at all) was the materia system.
The game had a perfect balance between happy and sad (and epic) moments and is a true masterpeice.

(Also, sorry for the color change, but I felt like copy/pasting the Sephiroth picture from The Chosen One's post XD)

Back