FFVII : Love It or Hate It?

Gottta love FF:VII it's one of the BEST Final Fantasy games ever made.
and the story is Definitely the best!

Also Cloud & Vincent is my favorite Characters!!

You know, I loved FFVII, I really did. But then the fandom started going rabid over Sephiroth and Cloud (likely in that order) and Aerith and others, and started ripping into people who didn't like it, and I almost don't want to be associated with a bunch of self-absorbed narrow-minded kids =\

That being said, I do still like the game, and have replayed it a couple of times. Fan Dumb on the side, it seems to me like it had a really good storyline for an RPG of its time. Stories are becoming much better nowadays - KH being one example, but I could certainly argue that storywriters in games are going to hell with their crappy writing - and if I were to compare FFVII to some of the games I play now...it probably wouldn't hold up. The modern cliches may not have been cliches at the time, but they are now, and it really affects the playthrough of the game, especially for newcomers.

All in all, I still enjoy the game. Just don't expect me to put it up on my top 5, or even top 10.

It's cliché to say, but easily the best RPG on PSX, maybe the best ever.

Tranquil

Mod Edit: Just in future reference, try and include reasons into your posts in threads that are in post count enabled sections such as this and expand on them a bit more. =]

Last edited by a moderator:
i love the game, to me the characters seem realistic, and the music is incredible, the quests are fun, (i hate to say it, i am notthat into video games, but when i first got this one, i loved it,)

Love the game, just no other story even remotly compaires to this FF7 imho.

Do I love this game? Yes I do, w/o question this is my favorite of the series. BUT..... What I hate about this game is all of these spinoffs being made for all the fanboys to eat that shit up. It pisses me off because the game is being milked so damn hard that it makes people hate it, when ironically they used to love it. The abuse they put this game through with the spinoffs and the movies is ridiculous tbh.

Love it! It's the greatest game I've ever played in my life! Also the first game I've ever played in my life so there's a good chance that may have something to do with it but I still love it! I can play it over and over again and never grow tire of it. Trying to catch a chocobo however I did not love. Those things were hard for me to catch!

fantastico!
that might be the only time you hear me say that word
A; because i'm not mexican
B; because this game is deserving of this rare choice of phrase

ff7 holds a special nostalgic place in my heart ,it was the first final fantasy game I played. it was the first jrpg I played and it was the first game I played that really sucked me in and consumed my life for days/weeks. I went to bed thinking about the characters (no not like that you dirty pervs! :D) .I don't think I had ever felt so much concern over the fate of the characters in a video game ever before that.
I think I liked every playable character in this game, I can't think of one I really hate. and I also quite liked a few of the non playable characters too. it was awesome! even the fact that the story confused the hell out of me at times didn't stop me holding it in high regard. it remains my favourite until square can top it.

my only complaints about it is playing it again you can pick out the animation was at times really in its infancy when you compare it to the stuff they do now and some parts look like an animated version of a virus recordings vinyl sleeve.also, on a big shiny high def tv it does make the graphics look a little poor in this day an age where we have been accustomed to the latest nvidia eye candy. but then that shouldn't really take away from the game and every old ff suffers this fate, in fact you could say its an eventuality for every game.

the main thing I dislike about it is that it was over too quick and once it was finished it left a dark empty void ,never to be filled....
until umm I play it again or another final fantasy game!

This game for me means one of the greatest story's ever told.

The first time i couldn't even read english so i had to learn for that game and i did (through subs on TV)

I was really motivated cause i wanted to understand the cool characters and what they're doing and where?)

So after that i got really into the plot, into the characters, and what they're doing (it was so interesting! wow!)

A rebellion terrorist group fighting against a big government/company/energy power monopoly

And how the story is told, it was so deep way back then (in the train cloud is talking to barret about how the train has no other option then just running on its tracks) it reminds me still nowadays that some people are living lives like trains, with no other option but to live how they are supposed to live.

Also the mind control theme, the spiritual theme are awesome.

The atmosphere of this game really sets it off like how you have hookers, and transsexuals in the slum market.

And that is just the beginning .

I loved how the characters where fully customizable cloud can be a healer if you want to he can be everything you want to same goes for Tifa and the cool Barret!

His lines where awesome!, and when u got to his hometown.

Ah everything was such a twist even when you found your first summon materia for me it was "huh summon? o_o BITAMAIHODIH !!!!".

I can go on forever.

tl dr? : This game was one big 3 disc adventure that just overkilled the gaming/rpg scene.

The short answer is simple. Yes, I love this game.

The long answer is a bit more complex. Final Fantasy VII is tied with Final Fantasy IV for my second favorite in the series. They're both just a shade behind VI, which is my favorite game of all time. However, this is about VII, not VI, so I shan't go down that road. Initially, when VII came out I was rather skeptical about it. I figured that it couldn't compete with the quality of the SNES RPG's that were out there. I'm talking about VI (Oops, I mentioned it), Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc. Thankfully, I was dead wrong. Of course, I was like twelve years old, so it's apparent that I had no idea what I was talking about at the time.

Final Fantasy VII is the game that I bought a Playstation for. When I first fired up the game, I was instantly hooked by the opening FMV and I knew that I was in for something special. In fact, VII is the last in the series for me that creates that special feeling of nostalgia within my heart. That's not to say I don't like the games that come after it. I do. They just don't have that "spark" for me that VII, VI and IV does. It's hard to explain, but I think it's because VII was the last Final Fantasy that I played as a child. After that, I had become a teenager and much of the magic and wonders of youth had disappeared. I grew up and the magic was gone.

Graphic wise, the game is beautiful. Sure, the character models are goofy, but that just adds to their charm. The FMV's are amazing for their time, and they have that whole mid 90's computer CGI look that I go crazy for. The graphics do very well in showing off the varied locations of the game in my view. From the cyberpunk Babylon gone wrong of Midgar to the glitzy Las Vegas-esque Gold Saucer to the Nordic European hamlet Nibelheim, each town has their own distinct identity and architecture to them.

Musically, FFVII is gorgeous and adds to my love of the game. The soundtrack ranks highly in my grand list of video game music. I especially like the seedy, modern semi techno-ish music that plays through Midgar. That's kind of a rough description of them, but those who've played the game know what I mean. If I have to narrow it down, my favorite tune has to be Shinra's ominous and daunting signature theme. That, and One Winged Angel which is simply epic. Kudos to you Uematsu and kudos again.

Gameplay, it's Final Fantasy, so it's good and easy to master. I like the Materia system, and had no problems with it. No complaints here.

Story. Here we go. VII's story is wonderful in my estimation. You have a subject that's near and dear to my heart in AVALANCHE's struggle against the evil mega-corporation Shinra. The political intrigue of a ragtag group of pro-environment, anti-corporate freedom fighters struggling valiantly against an unstoppable corporate leviathan interests me. I'm not quite sure that a story like this could be made today, or at least prove as popular, but this was the 90's. A different era. That backdrop is the perfect setting for Cloud and his mysterious past to be explored and revealed, as it is connected to Shinra and AVALANCHE via Shinra's greatest warrior gone wrong: Sephiroth. I admit that Sephiroth doesn't light my world afire like many fans, but I do find him to be a well-rounded and effective villain. I give him and the story a thumbs up as it does raise some interesting spiritual and ethical questions.

Should technological progress come first or should protection of the environment? How much power should a corporation really have? Is violence acceptable if used against those who spread destruction? Is humanity a part of the planet or are we separate? None are easily answered and all are raised in this game. I dig that, even if I didn't see them when I played it as a child.

You know, typing this made me see connections between Sephiroth and Frankenstein's Monster. They do have a similar "science gone too far and gone wrong" connection between them. Bah, now I'm going into literary analysis mode instead of proclaiming my love for the game. Boo me!

On a lighter note, the game has you help a Moogle get some lovin', Mr. T's video game doppelganger and a cat robot riding a moogle robot. How could I not love a game with these ingredients in it? Point is, I can't and all of this and more is why Final Fantasy VII holds a special place in my heart.

I dont think its the absolute best one but it is "one" of the best, Enjoyed the game especially since it gave me my second favorite character in the series Yuffie. When she stole my materia and I had to keep chasing her around wutai was my favorite moment in that game.

At the core It had the best story out of any final fantasy game and one that everyone should remember if they played it. Lots of good music,mini games,plot twist, and even a great deal of maps and sidequest. Sephiroth made me love the game even more, was very fascinated when I got to fight with him for that one time only in a flashback.

I'm surprised no one has posted on here since last September! 8(

Anyway, I love VII. It's my third favorite Final Fantasy, behind IX and X.

I finally played it for the first time back in September 2011 and finished it in October 2011. I expected the graphics to be far inferior than today's visuals, but that didn't matter to me. Graphics don't mean crap if the story is terrible and gameplay is horrible. VII neither had a terrible story nor a horrible battle system. Both were excellent.

Most of the characters were either interesting or had good character development. Red XIII is cool for the fact that he's neither human nor human-looking at all.

The ending to VII was pure awesome. I'll just leave it at that.

It was fun to play, the story had some plot holes, and some of the characters, but overall it was worth the money. The minigames were great also, and there was alot to do in the game.

I cannot put into words how much I love this game. Over the years, I must have played it to 100% completion at least a dozen times. While I get that not everyone will like this game and it's not the golden grail of gaming that the media and some fans hype(d) it up to be, I still think this is one of the best entries to the series.

No other title besides FFT has such a diverse and interesting cast of characters with so much LIFE and personality in them. The story is also the second best in the series, only being topped by once again, FFT. It also has my all time favorite female video game character in it playing a pivotal role, Tifa~! <3

Love it !

The game is amazing. It has a deep and emotional storyline, Cloud is a wonderful lead. Tifa and Aeris/ Aerith are amazing characters as well, good music with a mixture of a rock n roll type sound, to jazz.

Though I do like some Final Fantasies more than FF VII. Is it bloody fantastic ? Hell yes, though * opinion * FF IV, FF VIII, and FF VI just have something about them that stand out away from FF VII.

FF VII is known to be as the most famous Final Fantasy in history, gaining public attention, movies and sequels and it deserves all this attention so much, because it's a great solid Final Fantasy and video game. FF VII is a wonderful classic game.

I myself downright despise Final Fantasy VII, I remember getting it for my PS1 the same year it came out and being very excited to play it. As a kid I didn't care for it at all and just never played it, then recently I rebought it on PSN after hearing all the wonderful things about VII being the greatest in the series.

For me that was a flatout lie, never got engrossed in the story, hated all the characters (save for Yuffie) and just didn't have any fun while playing it at all.

For me after the 20 hours I gave VII I can safely say it's my least favourite in the whole series (maybe it was the fanboys that really help contribute towards this as well).

FF7 = amazing! <3

Hey I'm new here :)
I absolutely LOVE Final Fantasy VII! <3
The characters, the story, it was all so amazing, only ever beat it once, but it is pretty hard, I've got the golden chocobo which is amazing xD hehe just ride everywhere.

Just recently started it again :D

Whenever I'm asked by friends what my favorite game is, and why, this is always the example I cite:

The story of FF7 is unlike any other, in terms of the depths of despair you feel at times, the sadness, and the longing to make things right and make sure justice is served. I grew absolutely, completely immersed in that storyline like no movie (let alone video game) I'd ever experienced, so much so, that this happened:

Toward the end of the game, when all that's left (storyline wise) is to jump into the Northern Crater and take out fuckface, there's that amazing scene where Cloud and Tifa spend the night together, and the next morning everyone shows up again. They state that they have 7 days before Meteor hits, and that they can either try to stop Sephiroth, or wait a week and die anyway. Anyway, I was so engrossed in and in love with the story and characters at that point that I decided, if they only had a week, so did I. And that I would spend some time grinding and hunting down gear, but that I would kill Sephiroth within a week, or never.
Probably totally B.S., but that was my mindset at the time. I think I killed him the next day anyway, heh

Back