FFXIII: Love It or Hate It?

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
If you had to pick, would you say you love the game, or hate the game? Explain the reasons why you feel this strongly about the game in this thread and share your opinions.

Please try and elaborate on your posts, as short spammy posts may be deleted without warning.

Also, please try and keep spoilers to a minimum. Use spoiler quotes if absolutely necessary.

Bit early for this kind of thread, is it not?
I've completed the main story of the game, and I currently really like the game - that doesn't mean after I've completed all the side quests I'll still feel the same.

Right now Im on the fence with it. Theres stuff I like and dislike already. Im on disk 2 now with chapter 5 and Im having mixed emotions about it.

well.
the music is great, as usual,
the gameplay, do-able but has nothing on its predecessors.
it's like comparing a king to a god, both are good but the latter is better, simply because it's lacking too much of what FF boasts and character control is too rigid.

I've just hit Chapter 6, and I agree with the posts before me, some things I like and others I don't. But for me, there's more pros than cons, so overall I'm loving it at the moment.

I quite like it so far - I won't go that far as to say that I love it and I certainly do not hate it. The story is good so far - it has had me anticipating constantly for the next cutscene to see what direction it heads to. I love the use of flashbacks to fill in some gaps in the story and as a break from the current area you are in.

The Crystarium system seems a little underwhelming to me because I love customising my characters' stats, but I can't really fault the battle system. It is fast and dynamic; a fresh reinvention of the conventional active-time battle systems of previous games. The occasional hard battles are thrown in with the many easier ones - that does shake things up.

It's getting good so far.

I Love XIII. Its just a brilliant game! Im on chapter X right now so It seems im close to beating the game. Well im gonna spend some time in chapter XI doing most mark missions and all that. I want to at least have 50 hours when I complete the game. I love the battle system. Paradigms are the most awesome thing ever. I find it really tactical. I LOVE Lightning! Like ommg shes my favorite character. Also Fang omnomnomnomnom. The storyline is faboulous so far!

I miss not being able to control the other characters it became apparent to me that this would be a good thing to keep at about chapter 8 when I got drawn into a really long fight and the character wouldn't heal me all the way and I got a game over because of it.

Again in chapter 8 I dunno if its just me but my GOD the boss fights are long and it got to the point that I wasn't even paying attention to what was going on.

However this all sorta is forgiven because the plot is good and I actually want to find out what happens next.

I am in chapter 11 and having alot of fun. It feels like its been forever since I played and RPG this good. Mind you considering how many pretty terrible RPGs have come out in the last years its really no wonder that in my mind I am able to overlook certain parts of the game that I would normally be turned away by due to the simple lack of great JRPGs for this generation.

My greatest hope is that this game inspires all the other companies thinking of making a JRPG to step it up a notch and at least meet this level of quality.

So far though I am leaning alot more towards the loving it. I doubt any lack of interesting side quests and mini games is going to change that for me its all about the story. This one though not the most amazing in the series is very good.

Im currently in chapter 4 of the game ( kinda early I know ) but as far as Ive played im really liking the game. As every website has blatenly pointed out yes it is a bit linear but it advances the plot well and Im having a crapload of fun messing with paradigms and the crystarium. Cant waite to beat the game.

Played up to chapter 13 and doing some sidequests right now. I know a lot of people are tooting the linearity horn but it doesn't bother me. In my opinion XIII is basically an experiment with streamlining the RPG genre for the next generation and stripping out all the tedious parts.

The story, visuals, characters, and combat system are all pretty great. Combat occasionally makes me wish I was playing Grandia, but it's surpassingly engaging for what it is.

In a nutshell it's the spiritual sequel to X, what XII should have been, and awesome.

Not gonna go all out and say I LOVE IT!, but it's a great game so far. I'll make my "love" decision when the end of the game rolls around and I have almost 100% of it outta the way.

There's no way I'm gonna hate it though. It's got a great plot to it, the characters are easy to relate to, and my only complain is that I haven't seen a location yet that really appeals to me. Otherwise, it's leaning toward "love".

Im on chapter 6 and im loving the game, and i am sooo glad im finally out of that high way and the polluted mountains and can now finally see some nature!!! its a fun game and i love when lightning does huge jumps and backflips!

Final Fantasy 13 is a great game! I'm a little bit over 20 hours in the game, at the beginning of Chapter 10, and I like it a lot. It's deffinately different from the past games, especially with the new battle system. It sounds totally confusing, but it's pretty easy and starting at Chapter 8 you get super complex and intense with the Paradigm shifts and combinations.

The story is really good, but the soundtrack is a little.. eh. It's deffinately not the best. Final Fantasy 10 has the best soundtrack ever, I think.

The graphics are amazing too!

I dont love it or hate it,its a great game and had a big success in the first 3 days.I like how the characters communicate with each other but some dont get along much(like sazh barely talks to hope,fang never talks to sazh,vanille doesnt really talk to lightning).Its intresting to see their relationship towards each other.

I was gonna wait until I beat the game to answer this, but screw it, I know I'll luv it then as I do now.

It's vastly different from the prior FF games, but that doesn't make FFXIII bad at all. But even then, I know it's not a perfect game. However it's entertained me and kept me happy and every time I have to stop playing for real life obligations, I'm always itching to get back to it.

Yeah, I'm lovin' it~

EDIT: I did eventually beat the main story, and guess what? Still liked it :monster:

Last edited:
I've hit Chapter 8 so far, and GEEZ I LOVE THIS GAME A LOT, is getting better and better every passing hour!

I know is a matter of tastes and all that, but I can't understand why some FF fan people dislike the game, they say that is too linear, that there are no towns, that there's not a world map, that you control only a character, that you regain full HP after every battle, that the equipment system is poor, that the FF fanfare is gone, just complains and complains, they think that the game is easy for all that and IS NOT!!!, JESUS. I hate this kind of people that believe that Square-Enix is going to make a game by their specifications, I'm truly TIRED of the same thing, a typical party of 3-4 people, getting powerful spells, go out at the world map, visit towns, talk to everybody in it, play and play, get an airship, travel the world, and go for the final boss, I MEAN, PEOPLE DO NOT GET TIRED OF THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER?? geez man.

They believe that they will make a HD Final Fantasy with world map??? it would have like 3 Blueray discs!!!! is so annoying, I am in love of this game, and not bc as a fan boy, every aspect of it, is EVOLUTION, accept that, the music, graphics, the story so far, the artistic work, this game is a piece of jewelry in my FFs Collection!

just beat it today and i loved it exept chapter 13 which annoyed me because alot of the fights take awhile to beat well they did for me anyway but overall great game with one of the strongest stories in final fantasy ever.

I have problems like anyone else with the game, but as a stand alone game.. it is pretty good to be honest.

I mean it's like a dvd to me.. I don't have to do too much to overcome monsters and/or soldiers. Sometimes I get frustrated with the AI but I guess that's what you get with the new final fantasies.

I can't say I love or hate it right now.. but I will say.. I have quite a lot of problems with the game so far. I'm loving the story though! So who cares right?

I really love the game. Despite whatever the negative reviews say one thing is sure: this game is really hard to put down. I think the story was really well done and definitely at some heartstrings along the way as well. The graphics are gorgeous, the characters are relateable and easily endearing, and the overall presentation is just excellent.

Back