FFXIII: Love It or Hate It?

@DarkShadow. You're right, the amazing graphics do compensate for the linearity of it. They're very impressive!! The cutscenes were just stunning. I also think, although the auto-attack is a little bit uninvolving and rubbish, the paradigm system makes up for it. It takes quite a lot of strategy to devise the paradigms and then deploy them. I like that part of it! I do really miss the rich storylines of 7 and 8 though. I agree that there should be a lot more side quests and things to do after the main storyline of the game. These bits were my favourite on the older games!

Im currently on chapter 11,and I'm actually liking it. To me this game was more story-driven and I didn't really mind the linearity.I think I was more obssessed with beating the enemies to advance to the next cutscene.the battle system is pretty cool and it'll keep you changing paradigms when you're fight big bosses.I like the characters a lot,though they all get on your nerve in the beginning (maybe except Sazh and Lightning?)

well I also have my complaints; the scenery was so beautiful,it was a pity we didnt have some way to revisit them.It was kinda like the art production team's hard work was wasted.
I guess if you're a old FF fan and is used to the towns,airships,and exploring you might not like this game.and if you hate this story you'll probably hate the game.But hey,SE cant keep making games like the old ones,they need change from time to time to get new fans.

Well I like the story, characters and battle system, I feel SE have really done an excellent job and made up for the mistakes of XII, however im not happy with the linear gameplay and sandbox style progression, it doesnt feel so much of an RPG as it did, but more of a ARPG (Action Role Playing Game). For me the lack of exploration is a huge pothole that will forever stop this game ever making my top FF 5 list.

Everything about this game reeks of dog shit. I found the story to be average at best, but the storytelling to be a shit fest. For example, I should not have to use a compendium to be "filled in" on a story. That's not good story telling.

The graphics are nothing revolutionary. Crysis holds that spot even today.

The characters all annoy me. Save for Sash, or whatever his name is.

It's a linear shit fest.

It's fucking easy as hell. I'm not even kidding. Everytime I see someone say "this was so hard" I facepalm. At what fucking point did you have a problem? It's so fucking easy.

As a game, I would give this a 4/10. As a FF game, it gets a 0/10. This is easily one of the weakest entries to the series.

I fucking hate this game. It's why we can't have nice things, and I hate you for liking it. :hmph:

Last edited:
Thats fine if you don't like the game, we all have our opinions. However, you dont have to across as an asshole when expressing yours and saying you "hate" people for liking the game, or "facepalming" when people say they had a hard time with something and you wanna ask "how the fuck it was hard for people." People have different strengths and different weaknesses, no need to be an asshole.

One doesn't know me very well at all. It's an established fact that I love stating my opinions as fact. And everyone here knows that you can really only take about 10% of what I say seriously. I don't really hate anyone for liking it. Sure, I think the game is shit, and I think their taste in games suck, but everyone here knows that I'm just pissing around. :elmo:

At the end of the day, I'm not seriously going to hate them for liking a game I believe to be the shittiest of the shit. In fact, I'm friends with most of them. Even if one is a traitor to the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Shaun. :ahmed:

That is all. :mokken:

Yeah I must say honestly that I don't know you, or how you talk/post on here. So when I read that I thought "Wow, no reason to be an asshole", but hey man its all good. Thats how I am as well with my friends, I hate COD MWF2 and think its a piece of dog shit, while my friends love the game and play it 24/7. I give'em some shit and say how I like Halo better and that its a better game, but I dont hate'em or befriend them either.

My mistake man

Let's try to keep the thread on topic please. Ringo, try and tone your posts down just a bit. We know you passionately hate the game; just try not to be so harsh on those who do enjoy it. If someone doesn't know you're joking, they may take it offensively.

Edit: Ninjaa'd. :hmph:

Up to chapter Chapter XI, far too linear, and then it swapped to a completely different extreme when it hit Chapter XI, 2 very hardcore extremes, a blend of the two from the beginning would have best suited the masses, thats my biggest beef with it. As for everything else, I would just be nitpicking at preferences I have. I did enjoy the battle system, it was one of my favourites from the series, it and lolX-2 which only redeemed itself with a good battle system were nice battle systems. Game was solid, but not the best from the series.

Neither love nor hate...it's just a good game, i don't consider it my favorite FF game but it's pretty much ok.

I like the battle system, the fact that all characters get enough spotlight and i enjoy the beatiful scenarios.

I dislike that the characters don't seem their age at all and i can't say i like the story all that much, it seems kind of childish to me...

That said i don't really have a problem with this game but i only finished it once and haven't bothered to play it again or to try and complete all sidequests and stuff like that...so i can't say it's my favorite.

But between loving or hating...i choose "No answer".

Its absurdly linear play.

Its terrible plot, really her name happens to be NORA...? Hope is a whiney bi†ch.

Lack of side-quests and don't tell me searching for chocobo treasures or doing 60 hunts count because both of those are lame and add nothing.

Player development- it is like sphere grid-lite, you can't even fully develop them till after you see the games ending.

No NPC's to chat with, no outside perspective from others.
No towns to explore.
Every area is a "dungeon"
Money & ultimate weapons take forever and by the time you get them you don't need them (reminds me of wrymhero from ff12).

Spells were pretty weak compared to other attacks in the game, also having Van's "ultimate skill" only hit like 5% of the time is pretty pointless.

I didn't like that you can only "control" one character and if they died it was game over.

Good-
I have to admit that the music was awesome.

I am glad they went back to a separate battle screen, the graphics and the way the battles played out were pretty sweet.

i love the game it has a good story great gamplay [same as the music]
but i heat hope hes so emo!
other then that the game is perffect

I love it. Although the gameplay can seem very linear at times, I still enjoy it, and the visuals are great (Gran Pulse is beautiful). I enjoyed learning how to effectively use Paradigms, and I like doing Cie'th Stone missions.

Anyone who liked the game will want this.

I love Final Fantasy XIII. The linear gameplay does not bother me because I actually like linear gameplay and the music is excellent in my opinion. The battle system is one of my favorite parts because of its fast paced style and there are many interesting enemy types. The plot had me interested from beginning to end and I grew to like most of the characters (except Hope, he can disappear for all I care).

I thought FFXIII was severely lacking. The first thing that ever drew me in about a FF game was that the worlds were so large and every person or npc you ran into had something to say. Sometimes it would be random about their imaginary lives and sometimes it would be gossip related to side quests. Then other times it could relate to events in the story that would have been considered news worthy in their world. I had to talk to everyone at least once and try to get as much background information on the story as I could as I went on with my first playthrough. Before this game I never would have used a skip cut scene feature. I didn't use it much with this game but I did use it less then I wanted to. The game just lacked the depth that in my opinion is a FF staple.

I love it. Well, it matter that much to me if the game play was lame and the story was bad, truth is, I find everything really great. I like the story so much and the characters, though I still think Hope is pathetic. The thing that got me so much into FF XIII was Lightning. I have this obsession to girl who kicks ass, I just love them. And Lightning is the best character like that. Nothing else matters.

The game was good but not great the battle's are really good except controlling one character it's better when your party gets killed and it's game over. I hated that there were no towns to explore but you get to see the monster's running about. For me the game had alot of great things but just as many bad things

I also didn't like Hope much. In battles I kind of thought he was useful because he seemed to have a bit more of a speed focus than Vanille. I also liked his summon. But other than that, I didn't care that much for the story surrounding him.

Back