FFXIII: Love It or Hate It?

The plot is great but it is a bit linear im on chapter VII now and i really like it so far =)

I'm on chapter 7 at the moment, I actually do love it at the moment, it is a really good game, I like the ideas they've thrown into it, like the retry option, the Paradigms, and the Crystarium, it relates to the story, which is a great story, I love Vanille! She is the only character that I have taken a liking to at the moment, but it might change when I get a bit further!

I hate it.

At this rate, I probably won't even finish the game. I am currently fed up with this "oh heres your boss and a 3 minute cutscene, after that enjoy the legion of monsters you have to kill so you won't be underleveled for the next boss!" routine.

It's broken my patience for this game, I'm pretty sure I'm done with it.

I vote for hate, not that i actually hate it but i don't love it nor will i ever come close to loving it so i guess i tend to lean more towards the hating of it.

Why? Because it's the most linear, basic and boring of all FF's. To put it simply, the game shows you a line: you follow that line. Then, you reach a big open area, you kill a bunch of bosses that become tedious and tiresome and eventually get a chocobo and find treasures then follow the line again.

If you enjoy playing a movie while it tells you exactly what to do and exactly how the story is going to play out, then you should love this game. If you're like me and you prefer a more open playing field with room to explore, towns to visit, side quests that aren't kill a tough monster over and over (not that any monster in this game is tough as all you do is mash A [Xbox players] and press L1 to change to heals wen ur low hp, maybe debuff a lil here or buff a bit there.) and the general things that MAKE an FF game, then don't buy this fancy looking "FF does Heavy Rain".

Sure, there's some good points.

*Graphics
*Interface
*Pretty Characters
*Battle System (at first)

Mmm, that's about it. No towns, shops @ savepoints, no character customization aside from follow the shiny line in a circle until a line goes off then get some + stats and turn around. Easiest battles ever, it may be more fast paced than others but you'll soon realize that all you need to do is mash A and the game will kill everything for you with it's highly advanced AI. Grats to Square for making a game that plays itself for me, oh they already did that! Hah, this one just has encounter screens.

This game is 100% Linear and imo the worst FF ever.

Well, that's about it from me. I'm totally disappointed with it and wouldn't replay it if i was paid to.

Last edited:
Aside from the obvious looks of the game. I would have to say the story (even if it drags a little bit here and there) and the battle system are keeping me entertained.

Sure for the most part you can spam the A button, on Diversity, but you can make it more fun than that. Pull out a Syn and cast the buffs, and a Sab to make the other guy weaker.

The linear path doesn't even bother me. It almost creates a sense of urgency. Think about, after what happens you would be moving pretty fast too. And once it opens up, it really opens up.

Awesome!

I completed it the other day after 87 hours of it (on 105 doing the sidequests now.) Yes I was turtling, reading the guide, grinding and doing other stuff whilst it was still on.

What impressed me the most was how story-driven it was, that's it's biggest asset in my opinion. A very emotional, powerful storyline.

What made it better was how epic the music was/is. The track Saber's Edge gets my vote and it's important for a game to have fantastic music in situations such as fighting a boss. Not only this track, but the battle theme and many others were very exciting like the cavalry theme, as well.

The characters were all so interesting, none of which I didn't dislike. Though favorites? Fang. Also Lightning.

The Padarigm idea was pretty simplistic (with auto-command), especially at the start of the adventure, though gets more diverse as you progress. The fights were fast paced and so Paradigm shifting was constant. This I liked.

So yeah, a brilliant game despite not having as much control as Final Fantasy offers and feeling like a dummed-down title of the series.

Last edited:
I'm loving it. The CGI is brilliant, I love looking around and admiring the views. Best yet for me.

I do enjoy this game a lot, I have seen reviews for it that say its not even considered a FF game. I would have preferred a different exp system.

i love it has a great story line to it though you have to fight something like every 2 sec i think its still a good game i do miss the towns though

err reading other peoples post i gotta say.

Final Fantasy XIII was an ok game.
it was way more action orientated then any other FF game
and i feel that the story suffered for it. or at least the presentation of the story did. there is not enough verbal story telling in this game.
i hope that square enix goes back to their old style of story telling, because i see them getting further away from what makes me like Final fantasy. yea its pretty AND new but action fights get boring around chapter 8 or 9. (tap X and watch youtube)

other things that annoyed me were:
-scenes would happen too fast,
-characters would over react to nothing,
-too much walking the straight path,
-too many limits of character growth,
-the first Paradigm shift of every battle is unnecessarily long and unskippable,
-Snow is annoying,
-very few monster models (all they did was change the color or add a horn to make new monsters),
-if the leader goes down in group of 3 medics the other 2 medics wont raise the leader - game over,
-the crystarium is a joke of a level up system (too simple?),
-cant summon non-leader eidolons (only used Odin),
-lack of classic victory theme,
-movable camera? cant look straight up or down and some times it remains fixed (id expect it to be close to ff12 or stay fixed the whole game... cant enjoy the scenery if the camera wont point where i want it),
- and theres more but its little things

i beat the game in somewhere over 60 hours. i dont hate the game and i will not blindly say i love it either. this game scares me; because its creators said they "dont consider it a requirement to include cid or chocobos in every installment"*. this could be setting a new standard where traditions of the past are not included in a MAIN line Final Fantasy. imagine if they did leave cid and chocobos out, what would make this game line up with the other Final Fantasies? a title?
though i am not against change, i just hope they dont get carried away and ruin the series

so im on the fence with this game im gonna read a summary on the story and see what they were trying to get across between the fights

*from gameinformer #204 pg 14*

I dont love it nor hate it...
Its pretty yes the visuals are rather nice but alot of other games are.

And I gotta say its just like FFXII no emotional conection between gamer and charecters....some how its all rather void of any type of "real" feeling....and the game play itself is most irksome alls it boils down to is repetedly smashing the same button and making sure HP stays up....To me its more like an interactive movie than an actual game wich is fine if thats what it would have been labeled as....Im fine with alot of cutsenes I play alot of rpg's but normaly I play them not just hit the same button and randomly pay attention.
Im also a very bad gamer I normaly mostly have my charecters leveled befor !/2 the game is finished....cant do that and leveling up the weapons dosent even make sence since it takes to much money...or manny hours of chocobo hunting, to get every item in the game....yes im one of those thet gets EVERYTHING.....it just makes it more unfun than fun...like a tedious task...
I had such high hopes....im sure if they had have payed attention to charecter emotions,dont get me wrong im sure they wanted the game to be mystery or some such thing,and less "flashbacky" and pretty visually I think I might have enjoyed it more.

The more I play it the more I'm growing to love it.

I think that if this wasn't a "Final Fantasy" title, some people would love it alot more than they do. We've kind of got certain expectations now about FF games and if an FF doesn't live up to them we tend to shoot it down because of previous games.

It's a big step up considering that it's on the PS3 and I think it's pretty awesome.

Love it :mokken:

Some of the battles really test my patience mind, I've seen more game over screens just from regular encounters than I care to mention, but it makes a change from walking through the game with ease

Really enjoyed the story, I only got confused at the end, but it was 3 am...

Tbh, I think I was so expecting it to be shit, I was actually like....wut, when I enjoyed it :wacky:

I completed the game today and Im going to say I was mixed before I even bought it, I wasn't a fan of FFXII with the battle system and all that and this looked kind of similar, but I got it since Ive been a very long term fan and well ended up loving it from start to finish.

-Maybe a bit more exploration could of been put in but then again I only care about the story and as it being linear put you straight down that path which I really enjoyed.

-Graphics were gorgeous and the character models were great
-Vanielle starts to be a very annoying character but ends up being very likable
- Loved the soundtrack to the game and like others have said, missing the victory fare :(

otherwise gameplay was great, love the tactics involved with it and bosses can get tough as they are meant to be. No complaint with character levelling I kind of got used to the whole limitation. (Otherwise you'd be like yes I mastered this and I have got..............so much to go!?!)

i don't get when people say the story was not good, are teh character had bad personality and ya could not connect to them.
Ive got autism and i could even connect to them.

Then again every person i talk to who said it was a bad story once i talk to them a bit i realize. It not the story it that they did not understand it.
what funny is none of these people got that they did not understand the story,
which made it funny.
I love it the story,characters was amazing
sorry for bad eng

i don't hate the game but i certainly don't like it. It's better than FFXII but as i said in a previous post, Final Fantasy isn't and wont ever be the same again now that it's merged with Enix. It's a real shame. Sorry guys, just my opinion

I finished the game a few days ago now. I'm so loving it, definitely, I adore the characters, the story, the music...

FFXIII made me laugh and cry. I'm really having fun on the extra stuff on Pulse now. :-)

I enjoyed it. It would have been great if it had mini-games, an airship and towns etc, but I still enjoyed playing it regardless of these things being left out. Although, with its linearity, I know I won't be able to play it through ever again now that i've completed it.

i find it also a shame that many people here actually like FFXII and XIII and what Final Fantasy has become. That is fair enough, i respect everyones opinions but is there no one out there that liked the way VII to IX was made?

Back