Would you like to see another sequel/spinoff to this game?

I love both Lightning and Serah (XIII-2 ftw!), so I totaly want a 4th title. But I think Lightning Returns was the worst of the three, so I would want something better than that.

Yes and no...

I liked how they ended Lightning returns, though it did leave me really curious as to 'what happens next'. I know you're left to interpret that in your own way, but.. yeh it would be nice to get an idea of what Square had planned next. That being said, I was very happy with how they decided to end it... even though it reduced me to an emotional wreck xD

Of all the games to get a continuation this is not what comes to mind.

XIII got more attention than was necessary with XIII's sequels spinning way out of control and Lighting Returns feels so different it's almost a Spin Off game. The direction was just so off base, set so far away from the previous two games and having Lighting focused as this guardian to save souls was a great idea but no fitting to the series, I was actually hoping for the series to humanise Lightning more - which was the direction of her character in the 1st game.

Though I think the concept of LR was brilliant and would have made great stand alone game! But I really did not enjoy the ending to Lightning Returns - I'd even argue it was the worst part of the game in general! While I can see potential of what the ending suggests, I just don't want to see it at all really... I mean trying to avoid spoilers but it would be a very down to earth game and XV's focus on western realism sort of brought that game down from a artistic direction stand point.

Just seen the date of the last post... I will say however, I'd welcome a PS4 Bundle.

Last edited:
I honestly do not think we need another spinoff sequel FFXIII; because how the game ended with Lightning Returns was good to me. I think another sequel would be too much. Since Lightning Return was an okay sequel to end FFXIII with. I personally feel like they covered mostly everything in this FFXIII game as a whole

I'm happy enough with my comfort zone of Lightning Returns. (Over 500 hours nah, will check and update!) I'd still rather the series carried on with different characters as they seem to be doing.

A little late to the party here - given that it definitely won't happen now - but having just finished Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns for the first time, I wouldn't go down another title or spin-off route again.

I'm not really sure either Final Fantasy XIII-2 or Lightning Returns were particularly necessary, other than for financial reasons. Prior to completing these two titles, I could remember very little of Final Fantasy XIII, and what references back to that title were provided in the sequels, I think the ending and XIII series should have ended after the first game. It was by no means a perfect game, but the ending was tied up enough that the series could have been left as it was: Vanille & Fang sacrifice themselves and everyone lives a happy life. Cliché, but it works.

FFXIII-2 didn't really add anything to the overall series for me, it simply opened new plots that weren't present in the original title. The gameplay was solid (it was pretty solid across the whole series). I didn't particularly find the ending a 'shock' or dramatic as it was intended either; the main purpose was to open a giant hole for Lightning Returns to exist, which I don't think did that title any favours either. There were moments in Lightning Returns that I quite liked and were handled well, such as the cutscene after the Snow battle but the main story was very weak overall; I though the Sazh/Dajh episode could been much more emotional too. In a bizarre fashion, the whole game completely went against the 'norm' as well. It constantly felt like it was a game entirely revolved around side-quests with the main storyline tagged on, rather than the other way round. Until the final day, it didn't really feel like the game was being driven by any overall plot.

I am glad they moved away from western songs in Lightning Returns though, they felt very much tagged on at the end of XIII and XIII-2 to appease western fans. Final Fantasy XV handled that concept much better with 'Stand By Me'.

Honestly....no. it was very clear that they only had intentions to make a Final Fantasy XIII, the sequels have always been their own stand-alone games that sort of remove the lore as they continue to attempt to expand it. And maybe a spin-off would work to bridge these games. But there's a reason why FF7 gets more love than FF13. The world is simpler and more grounded rules. It doesn't overtly create whole new lore for each entry.

FF13, love or hate. it finally ended. and it should be left "complete"

UNLESS they remake the entire series with a new director like they did with FF15.

I don't hate the FFXIII as much as some people do, and I do find the lore for the the games intriguing.

That said, I do not think we need any further games. The trilogy we received pretty much covers what we should reasonably need to see, and there are official novels / short stories too.

Are there unanswered questions? Yes.
Are there unanswered questions in al Final Fantasy games? Also yes.

Sometimes mysteries can be a good thing to keep. It allows for fan speculation and keeps people like us going.

Back