Best Final Fantasy Game?

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
Now that FFXIII has been released, we thought it would be a good idea to restart this thread so XIII is included fairly.

Which game do you think is the best Final Fantasy Game? Please post your reasons for voting, as posts such as "FFVIII" or "FFXII obviously!" are discouraged and will be deleted as spam. Please tell us why you think this game is the best FF game, what you liked about it, why it's better than all the others, etc.

hmmm for me its between FFVI and FFVIII
FFVI
i enjoyed VI because of its story and setting it also has a HUGE WTF half way though
i also love the chars in it too Kefka by far my fave antagonist in an FF game, Terra is my fave my fave protagonis in an FF game

FFVIII
VIII brings back so many memories it was the first FF i completed,
i loved the story, i'm a sucker for love storys so this was no exeption. the Graphics of its time where amazing considering the PS's hardware limmitations it was the first game i ever *Wow'd* at

also why no love for Rinoa? she my joint fave FF female ^_^

I liked Final Fantasy VIII a lot.

A lot of it's realism and quite a few of the characters appealed to me, as well as the game itself possessing one of the best soundtracks, if not the best FF soundtrack to date.

FFVII to me.

It was the first final fantasy that actually blew my mind. It had a very compelling story that had me hooked for days on end. I loved every minute of it and was thankful for its creation.

The story was very engrossing and compelling. The setting of the story was very unique and I thought the game's overall theme was very good and made the story more powerful. The many different conflicts all came together to mold the story into one that would really give the player something to enjoy and find greatness in.

The characters were great as well. Cloud Strife was an excellent protagonist, with his many problems. Those problems, in my opinion, showed that he wasn't perfect and that a great deal of thought was put into his creation. He started out a cocky ex-SOLDIER and after a serious of events in the story, changed to a man that was very brooding, but fought for his planet. The other characters like Barrett and Cid were very interesting as well, with their own back stories and problems that were elaborated on in the story, adding more to think about and enjoy.

And FFVII's many spin-offs that make the compilation are all very great games as well. The explain the backstory to the original game, strengthening it's story and impact, as well as allowing us to see different aspects of some of the characters. They all allowed a view into an event that happened before or after the main game, which I thought was pretty cool. Especially Crisis Core, which allows us a view of Zack, the "basis" behind Cloud's beginning persona before
regaining his true memories
. Zack's story was very strong and compelling and had great depth to it.

There is much more to say, but that in itself would not be enough. FFVII is my favorite game in the series and I thought that it positively brought the series to new heights.

I think the best FF games are V, VI, VII, and VIII...
like they jus thad an AWESOME streak or something!

V was my allt ime favourite, because I liked the the story and the way it was told. I liked how all the characters had something interesting about them and how the characters were memorable. but the thing that puts it above all the other FFs is that it had the best Job system in the series.
it let you take abilities from other jobs and use them in combos. leaving room for plenty of replay value and endless combos.

As much as i love VI VII and VIII I'd still have to say IV was the best and most innovative. It's the first FF that i can remember playing, though i played FFI first, it's the one that stuck in my head. It brought us the ATB and was driven by a great story and in my opinion still the best story in the series though tactics pulls a close second followed by VII. But all in all the combination of the difficulty, story, exploration, and characters is what makes it still stand out to me

Lolz, you all know which I adore. VIII will always be my favourite in my heart. Holds great memories for me and it was a great time when I played it. I was a grumpy teen and Squall was someone I actually connected with and loved. Cutscenes that took my breath away and still look amazing now! An OST that makes you smile and shed tears. Still my all time fav 11 years down the line :-)

IX is my favorite. It was my first Final Fantasy, and gave the series a great name (to me, anyway), which is why I have played more FFs. Everything about it encouraged me to play the other games in the series: The plot, the battles, the characters, and the music.

For me Vi and X tie for first, with VII a very close second.

All of them are brilliant really, we all know that :)

I have played 5 of the FF games and FFX is the only one I could finish because it just had a better story and battle system. :gasp:

I voted for X, and believe it or not, X-2. Out of the two of them I like X more but I knew X-2 would not get any love so I voted for it too. lol.

X is my favorite because the story is just so beautiful to me. It brings back so many great memories for me. It's just a wonderful game with a fun battle system, stunning FMVs, beautiful music, and wonderful characters.

I voted FFVII. Someone once told me that it is my favourite for the sole reason that it was the very first FF game I played, but I disagree. For starters, I didn't really play it that much, because I only borrowed it for a while; which prompted me to buy FFVIII, which had just been released.

FFVII has the materia system, which is by far and away the best character development system in my opinion. I like how it has its own backstory, and it ties in with the overall game plot. I also like how you can utilise materia how you like, and you can be as simple or as complicated as you like with your layouts.

I think the music is be far Uematsu's best work. The various changes in mood takes you on an emotional rollercoaster in the first hour of gameplay alone. You start with the epic and grand opening theme, which flows into the Bombing Mission. After that you hear the ominous Mako Reactor theme, as well as the awesome Boss Battle theme for the first time. On the train home you hear Anxious Heart, followed by Tifa's theme, which is basically a sad, lonesome tune, followed by a theme which makes you think of home. I guess the last part of that opening hour would be Barret's theme, which gets you pumped up ready to blow up the next reactor!

My favourite would have to be VIII, it was my first Final Fantasy that I ever played and I loved it.
The graphics blew me away when I first saw them:holyshit:, the story was great, the characters were cool my favourite being Squall.

There's no doubt about it. Final Fantasy VI is my favourite out of the series so far. I love its character cast - the amount of depth put in and how well you get to know most of them before you break into Kefka's tower. The cast is very memorable. What I love about the game is that you do learn and care about each character as you go along. I love Terra as a protagonist. She was fresh - a refreshing change to the previous male protagonists. Kefka as the villain is just unforgettable especially as he demonstrates just how insane, twisted and powerful he is later on - when he isn't running away.

I love the fact that it brought FF forward to the steampunk era - FFVII of course, brings it even further to a dystopian future. But for FFVI, I always see that as a turning point for the setting - unlike Dragon Quest which conservatively remains in a medieval setting. FFVI to me was the pinnacle of storytelling, gameplay and character development. The 2D graphics are good, but compared to later games, less emphasis was made on visuals and more on the other key elements. Substance before style in other words. The soundtrack is just incredible - the opera scene just speaks for itself.

My vote went to 6. It was one of the first ones I ever played and one of the ones I've replayed the most. I wish the games would go back to giving you tons of characters all with their own specialities because I love party customization. The best part was none of the characters really felt left behind for me, they all had their own emotional side stories.

It still has to be Final Fantasy X for me.

It was the first Final Fantasy game I ever played and I still feel really attached to it.

I love the entire story and I loved nearly all of the characters.

I felt as though I was in the story with them and I loved it. >.<

I feel that Final Fantasy XIII is not far behind, but FFX will always be my favourite and the best in my opinion.

i have payed nearly all of them but i would have to say Final Fantasy VII. It has great storey...two spinoffs and a movie..although the movie was very confusing the first time through.

I voted for VIII and X.
VIII because I loved the characters. (well okay Rinoa not that much) I loved the leveling system and even though drawing system took a while I really enjoyed it. The sidequests were fun too.
X because it had a wonderful story and I liked the fact that everyone had their specialty in battle.

Final Fantasy XII: Deep, realistic, mature (to a certain extent)

Final Fantasy IX: What a Final Fantasy game should be

Final Fantasy Tactics: Same as XII

And not to mention all three have incredible music.

Back