Best Final Fantasy Game?

Final Fantasy IX. I loved everything about the game, the storyline was memorable, the characters were great, the battle system was fun and I loved the concept art and the design of the game, it's brilliant. I've always though the game was underrated and overlooked especially since it is amazing.

For me it was a tie between VI, VII, and X :gonk: I really couldn't choose just one...

VI: Not the first FF I played, but it has a special place in my heart. The story is one of the best developed stories ever, the soundtrack is just so memorable it makes me sigh every time I hear "Terra's Theme" or "Aria di Mezzo Caratterre", and all the other tracks are just so awesome. Everything about VI is great. :D

VII: Since this is the first FF I played, it will always have a special place in my heart <3. I know many people find it overrated, but it's just so ah-mazing. I love it so much. The story is so beautiful and tragic, and of course, the characters are so damn lovable ^_^ ! I love all the funny moments, all the sad moments, ugh, I just love everything about it!!! The soundtrack, oh the music, I could listen to it all day, heck I even do sometimes, it's of pure WIN :awesome: I never get tired of this game.

X: I never planned on picking up this game until I heard "To Zanarkand". I learned that song on the piano and I just kept playing it. It made me think, what the hell, my cousin has X, might as well try it out. And I'm so glad I did. I wasn't used to hearing voices in games, so when I first heard them speak, I was flipping out, lol. It just seemed so AWESOME!!!!! But anyway, the storyline is nice and great, and I wanted to cry in the end. I have a soft spot for Tidus, he's a great character. X is just lovely..

Last edited:
FF9 has the best story, themes, characters, soundtrack, gameplay, minigames, everything. Some reasons why I think it's the best~ obviously, spoiler alert!

The game's warm, colorful environments, optimistic lead, and comedic moments like the love letter really helped balanced out what I felt was a dark and sad story.
The artwork itself is gorgeous! Don't you want to visit places like Treno, Pinnacle Rocks, and Desert Palace?
Speaking of places, the final dungeon was pretty cool. It's like traveling back in time but not. Instead, it played off a word that was mentioned a lot during the game.
The theme about life & death, purpose, really resonated with me.
The villain felt real to me. He didn't seem like a cookie-cutter villain. I like that he had his own struggles through the game just like the main party, going as far as changing his plans because the first one didn't work out.
Trance wasn't just as simple as a limit break - it was a key plot point that showed up a few times in the story from the beginning.
I could go on, but these really separate it from the other FFs I've played.

Also, Vivi. Seriously, how could anyone not like him? I feel like if someone asked me to describe the game in one word, I would say Vivi

FFX was the first FF game i played and i was fully sucked into the storyline, the character and dressed myself up into a different persona. The adventure was fantastic and mesmerizing. I love this game more than any other FF game. Play twice! and second time i unlocked everything possible......^^

I voted for IV and VII

IV was the very first game I played. It got me into Final Fantasy in the first place. I know this game like the back of my hand. If someone asked me to, I could probably write down step by step what comes next in the story. I guess it sort of set a standard for me. Nothing has surpassed it yet, but some have come close.

The main reason I voted for VII was because I loved the materia system. There was no game before it that allowed you to customize your characters that much. Sadly, I have yet to actually customize my characters like that. I still subconsciously follow the typical Summoner, Warrior, Mage (I tend to keep all the green materia on one person...if I have the room). If I could make a Final Fantasy game that was a mash up of all the games (taking the best parts of various games and putting them together), this would be the magic/ability system I would choose.

I gotta say FFX and FFVII were the best (or at least most enjoyable) out of the Final Fantasy series. They both had interesting characters and I didn't find the plots and whatnot cliche'd, or at least from what I remember.

Best FF... I have three. First, Final Fantasy IV. First FF on the SNES (one of my all time favorite game consoles), and I loved every minute of it. Great story and characters I could bond with. Also, grabbed me immediately and kept me interested in how everything turned out. Great game. Second, Final Fantasy VIII. My initial playthrough of this game, I did enjoy it. True the hero could be called a 'cold hearted bastard', I still liked him. Like FFIV, it grabbed hold of my attention from the get go (the fight in the intro is one thing which got me.) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, as it was the favorite game of my partner at the time, is also a reason I like it (I still do like it, if only for sentimental value and remembrance of my partner, who passed away 7 years ago).. Three, Final Fantasy XI Online. The only MMORPG I play at the moment, and have been playing for the last 4 years. I enjoy this game to almost the point of this being the only game I play on my Xbox 360. Yes, it's almost a religious obsession for me, which could be a bad thing lmao. Great versatility in gameplay (changing jobs when you want), music is good and fit as well and the story... well, stories, are quite good and entertaining.

Final Fantasy Tactics The War of the Lions is the pinnacle of gaming and the closest thing to perfect a FF game can come. The script is beautiful, the character development is masterful, the characters themselves are amazing and the soundtrack is the best in the series. The storyline is better than the other main series games easily.

And FFXII is the best main series FF. Well rounded, fun gameplay, deep storyline with villains who felt more like people with actual believable goals instead of IM GONNA DESTROY DA WORLD FOR LULZ and the music (as is the standard for Sakimoto) was amazing. WOTL is my favorite game ever and FFXII is in my top 3 for sure.

Wow, Mitsuki and I will never get along in this topic XD. NEVER! However I invite you, Mitsuki to play Legend of Dragoon, you might get a kick out of it.

(originally wanted to say XII but I didn't have the heart...)

Anywho I'm going to have to say it's a good tie between V and VI. Why? Because both lead characters aren't necessarily ideal heroes but at the same time they are vital for the group dynamic to function but on the other hand they both face villains who one-up them everytime until the very end. (Say what you will about Ex-death, yes it's a stupid name I agree, but his over-the-top tyranny makes the situation for the unlikely heroes of V ever the more serious and evokes fear in the player about the ever impending danger just over the horizon) VI obviously because Kefka's uniqueness and strong characteristics. Everything about him sets himself apart from other villains thus far which I appreciate.

So yeah, it's a tie. Been thinking about this for a week too, (even started playing both games).

There all absolutley brilliant, IX would have to be my all time favourite though, everything about it is just perfect.
Easily the most underrated in the series (although i just put it into outright 3rd in the poll :D), anyone who hasn't played it yet, do it. Please don't judge it by it's cover/reviews even it's synopsis, cause i know alot of people do, and gee are they missing out on something special.
Anyways my list out of the games i've completed goes something like this: IX, VI, VII, VIII, X, IV, XII, V, X-2, XIII.

Final Fantasy X introduced voice acting for the first time in a Final Fantasy game and they spared no expenses going into that. They were introducing new things to the series while still paying tribute to all of the things that Final Fantasy is known for and it took advantage of everything the PS2 had to offer which I felt FFXII didn't do and FFXIII certainly didn't do with latter consoles. The story and the characters were well developed and it had the ability to draw you into the start and make you appreciate the role of even your least favorite character. Tidus felt like us as far as being on the outside looking in goes and that was neat. It was also nice not having to switch discs like the previous three titles for the original Sony Playstation. Game play was also good. I could go on but I don't feel like writing a novel.

Final Fantasy X wins my vote easily.

Final Fantasy VI is best for the following reasons:

1. A great character cast. The number of distinctive characters is just unbelievable.

2. A great story.

3. The defining opera house scene. That was pretty funny.

4. Great boss battles.

5. Great music.

6. Everything else.

FF IX hands down is the best game!
1. Amazing Cast of Characters

2. Amazing Story

3. Perfect Placement of Cut Scenes

4. Epic Music

5. Sweet Battles

Nuff said. :awesome:

FF IX hands down is the best game!
1. Amazing Cast of Characters

2. Amazing Story

3. Perfect Placement of Cut Scenes

4. Epic Music

5. Sweet Battles

Nuff said. :awesome:

i have to agree with you

i adored ffx.... until i played ffix earier this year.. i fell in love with it

best storyline ever :)

amazing characters

zidane rules :)

IX was the fifth FF i played, still remember my first playthrough, it absolutely blew me away.
Everything was just perfect for me, the music, characters, story, gameplay, graphics EVERYTHING.
It still feels special every time i play it and i honestly don't think there will ever be a game better :)

I voted for FFX. I thought this game was just awesome, from the first moments you start playing it to the very final boss. It was just a great experience, it was fun to watch the story unfold, even though there were a few boring parts (laughing scene :hmph: ). I loved the fact that you could basically make every single character a strength powerhouse or a magic powerhouse, it was your choice and all you had to do was have a little patience. All in all it was a great game that I enjoy replaying as many times as I can. :jess:

this is very expansive for me because i love them all on certain aspects and find both good and bad in them all.

game play: ff9 because it is set in the past
storyline: ff7 the story just cant be beaten especialy with all the twists and turns in the story
battle system: ff12 because if you don't want to fight then you can see where everyone is to avoid them, otherwise you get the sometimes anoying random battles when you need to get somewhere quickly in one piece.
weapons: ff12 as you can customise who has what type of weapon
magic: ff12 because you have more choice
Summons: ff7 because knightss of round is kick ass
characters: ff7 they are kick ass
graphics: ff12 everything is set in the past but the charaters look like they are meant too without and pixelated crap
enemies: ff7 because no one can beat sephiroth.
side quests: ff7 as you are never short of things to do.

overall favorite for me is ff7

VII, VIII, and IX are all pretty much on the same plane for me. VI is pretty good as well, but being on an earlier system really gives it a handicap against the other future games in terms of dialogue and storytelling scenes. X was great at storytelling, but it kind of lacked in the actual story when compared to the earlier games. So many of the FF games are great, and it's difficult to really choose the best...maybe I can say the era of VII, VIII, and IX was the best in terms of an "arc" of the FF series.

Since it's difficult to choose one FF, I will rebel and state my favorite Squaresoft game instead (since it stands above all FFs for me): Xenogears :)

Back