Best Final Fantasy Game?

FFVI - It was my first and I have many great memories of it. Loved the story/characters/battles..

FFVII - Also love the story/characters/battles in this one, though I have to say, the materia system is still my all time favorite ability/spell system.

FFVIII - I fell in love with the characters, more so then any other FF. I did also enjoy the draw system, and the battles in general. I'm a sucker for heavy summoning as well!

FFX and FFXII come close too.. but not quite.

For me, it's VIII and IX. IX was my first FF and will always be special to me for that reason, plus I love its cast of characters and the ability system (Yes, I actually like the system of people being assigned roles - when you have the options to make anyone into whatever you want them to be, I get confused and muck it up XD)
VIII... I don't know, I just love it, and that is my favourite of all time. To me, the character developments in that game are the best, especially Squall. Plus, Squall and Seifer's rivalry is very deep :monster:

VII deserves a mention too, I love it... just not as much as VIII and IX.

First of all let me just express my unlimited luv to y'all......
I once made my own cover art for FFX so l reckon thats my Fave FF game not for any one reason its just the best all round FF game of the series and there very little negative effects from this game, so its fun to play ni matter how many times you play it IMO.

FFVIII is my next bestest FF game. As the first game to be more of a mature nature with a great battle system and, l suppose adequate characters its just hits all the right notes!

Now FFVII maybe my favorite FF game of all but it loses out coz of its dated look, l know thats know reason to knock it, but with all the talk of a remake it kinda makes me look at it a different light. Still l have fond memories of playing this game and thats all you can really ask for.....IMO

by the FFXII:ban:

It just has to be final fantasy VII, it was the first one i played and i just think its one of those you have to play before you die.
First of all, the best thing about the game was actually the music, it was just epic, they were times were it put a lump in your throat and they were times that made you happy, the music just had an incredible effect.
The story of the game is possibly the best story ever made for the final fantasy series.
People who have only played the newer games should definitely put them to one side and try out final fantasy 7.

When I completely ignore all the bull-crap add-on side stories like Crisis Core, Before Crisis, etc, then I have to say FINAL FANTASY VII is the best FF game.

It's just all the way awesome. And I'm solely talking about FFVII, not AC, not CC, nothing but FINAL FANTASY VII.

It's characters are awesome, the graphics are cute, the storyline is dark and tragic, the music is beyond AMAZING.

Why the Characters are awesome:
Cloud was the first of his kind, his character really broke the mold for Main heroes in games. Cloud was very anti-hero and at the time that was almost nonexistent. It was a change to see somebody like Cloud that wasn't "OMG totally upbeat and cheerful". And because Cloud broke the mold, more characters like him have appeared everywhere, from other FFs to anime and manga. And c'mon, Cloud started the really big sword thing.

And I don't think any game character's death ever sparked as much sadness or gamer's loss as much as Aerith's death did. VII is solely remembered for the death of the flower girl, it's the first thing mentioned when VII is even spoken of. That says a lot. I mean, what other FF has left THAT much of an impact on a gamer's gaming life?

Plus, we had these unique characters with their tragic pasts. We weren't just thrown a few characters to get to know, we got a chance to see all of the characters in their own light.

The Graphics:
I see them as cute, always have. But that's cuz I was like 10 when I played the game. But I know at the time, those were groundbreaking. And that really has to be concidered.

The Storyline:
The storyline, was a breakaway from the norm for the FF games. We were use to the heroes story revolving around some crystal and I guess in a way VII is too, but it seemed like so much more than just that.

VII's story is dark, tragic, and so unqiue. I would love to get into why I love the storyline, but that involves love-story and whatnot, so I really can't.

The Music:
The music is awesome just because it doesn't ever seem to get ANNOYING! I know when I play the game I'm always singing along or at least humming to myself. And I know Aerith's death song is so sad, I almost can't listen to it.

I think the music is be far Uematsu's best work.

It just has to be final fantasy VII, it was the first one i played and i just think its one of those you have to play before you die.
First of all, the best thing about the game was actually the music, it was just epic, they were times were it put a lump in your throat and they were times that made you happy, the music just had an incredible effect.
The story of the game is possibly the best story ever made for the final fantasy series.
People who have only played the newer games should definitely put them to one side and try out final fantasy 7.
I agree. :britt: It's his best musical work.

Last edited:
I chose nine, granted its not got the best leveling system etc (was still pretty good though, but id say materia was better) However I think it has the best music and story :)

Final Fantasy VII is in my honest opinion the best FF game, hands down. Why? I love just about everything about that game (I don't like Cait Sith though, hell of an annoying character); The characters (in general), the music, the battle system, the gameplay, the storyline, and Gold Saucer is good fun.

Favourite song in it is probably One-Winged Angel, that is epic battle music, it is classic, other battle themes in it are also of excellence, and Aerith's theme.

Cloud is a cool, and interesting protagonist, lead character. But my favourite character from this game, and over any party members from any other FF game, is Nanaki (Red XIII).

The thing is really intelligent, can speak rather well, and he is a Fire Dog (That's what the name Nanaki means, apparently), how frigging cool is that, right? And he has a lot of excellent Limit Breaks, and is very strong, a great character in every way (funny that this so-called Fire Dog roars in the scene after the end credits...).

And the battle system was great, I thought the Materia system was very good, then there was the balance you had to have when equipping things, whether you wanted to use something with less slots or growth, but better stat boosts, or a lot of slots but not overly great stat boosts, or there are the ultimate weapons that have 8 slots and excellent Attack, but absolutely No growth for Materia equipped to it (good for equipping already Mastered materia to it).

The storyline of course was :awesome: Aerith's death scene was of course tragic and unexpected, but my favourite scene is where Nanaki finds out the truth about his father, whom he had terribly misunderstood until Bugenhagen led him and two other party members through The Cave of the Gi, so Nanaki could know the truth and not continue to think wrongly of his father Seto as being a coward.

I kind of go back and forth between IX and IV as my favorites. :lew:

IV was my first FF game and I absolutely love it to this day. I enjoyed the story, the characters and the gameplay even though the game has some very tough bosses. I also liked Golbez as a villain and Kain is one of my absolute favorite FF characters.

IX has a great storyline and great characters as well. I also liked the throwback to the medieval style. Zidane, imo, is the best FF lead character. I love his personality and design. I also just adore the gameplay (especially the mini-games). The battle system was a bit slow but it doesn't really detract from the gameplay at all. Kuja is my all-time favorite FF villain as well. xD

Even though FFVIII is my favourite FF, I have to say that the best Final Fantasy is the XII. Ok, I haven't played the first seven games neither IX, XI and XIII, but XII was an amazing game, with a very addictive battle system, an appealing cast of characters and interesting side-quests (the hunts were just great fun).

The only negative part of the game was that it didn't had such an epic soundtrack, like previous games of the serie.

IV is absolutely the best one. It laid down the foundation for story-driven games, and the foundation was golden. Cecil is a good lead - he's searching for redemption, but he isn't an overly brooding angst machine. Kain is also an amazing character, and overall the complex interrelationships between characters helps the story. Also, the music is some of the best in FF history - the Red Wings song, the Feymarch song, etc. I personally think that the story is a lot more original than even FFVII's story - it has the darkness and the tragedy, but the triumph at the end is very fulfilling. V and VI were good too.

my favorites out of what ive played (never played 1-6) in order ff8,ff10,ff9,ff13 & ff10-2,the storylines were great especially ff8 it had a military feel to it & squall was an amazing lead

Last edited:
VII and X have to be the best final fantasy games in my opinion (although X-2 kinda sucked).
VII = Best because of the story and how it has now spawned a series of spin-offs.
X = Best because of the story and mass customisability of your characters meaning that there not limited to a single path.

I've played every one but the first six aren't my thing (4,5,6 are okay but not great to me).

The best FF games are VIII,X,IX, and X-2. My holy Trinity with an extra branch.

i think fft cause of the many classes there are so much abilities u can combine

From the very beginning, I've loved FFVIII. I remember watching my dad play it when I was little (he introduced me to the series, and its thanks to him that I aadore it today), and when I actually started playing, it was first on my list. I immediately fell in love with Spuall, Rinoa, Selphie, all of them.The story was just.... Wow. I just wish I had seen the end. (First disc got stolen, got stuck at a point on the last disc, and couldn't start over T.T). And I loved the summons and battle system. The entire game just appealed to me, and it will always be my favorite.

Although, FFX and FFX-2 are a close second. I fell in love with Tidus and Yuna and Wakka and all of them. I cried at the (good) ending of X-2, and... The music was always fantastic. They were just wonderful, heart warming games. xD And I loved all the classes and whatever. I'm a sucker for diversity. :)

of all final fantasy everyone who played, from one up to X, I think what really captivated me and spent three times and I can not stop playing is the final fantasy VII.

Good graphics but above all, great story.
Deserved a remake.

Back