FFXIII - Worth Getting?

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Mother fanatic!
Gil
I'm one of those Final Fantasy fans that really likes the classics. I like the old style of doing things. I was never interested in XI, and XII disappointed me. And now I'm hearing that XIII also abandons many traditions in the FF series. It's linear, there's no town exploration, no world map, and NO CLASSIC VICTORY FANFARE!!? I don't know. I mean, the characters look cool and the graphics look excellent, but I'm afraid it won't feel like a FF game. What do you guys think.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm just going to make this the official "Is FF XIII worth getting?" thread. It's a topic that's sure to pop up so everyone can post their opinions in one place. :)

if you're not sure, just wait. Some stores (Like GameStop) allow you to buy games ueed and return them within a week for a full refund if you don't like them! I can understand no towns. Pulse doesn't really have many humans living on it, and Coccon is like one big city. I heard and i'm hoping it's true that the extremely linear path is only the first half of the game. but the fanfare. How could they get rid of the victory fanfare?? :-( Oh and no moogles... but i'd still say try it anyways. It may surprise you, but if you're really worried, just wait and buy it used.

well i was worried aswell but i have to say i have enjoyed it so far i mean its not perfect but i like this battle system more than XII and the characters are more developed which im happy about so i say try it out

What do you guys think about the fact that your character's design doesnt change other than the weapon held? It's always been like that to an extent, witht he exception of 11. Games that didn't allow several skins kind of bothered me... I always liked my tank looking like a tank, and not a skimpy looking blonde (not that I mind :D)

What's you guys' take on this? Has this bothered anyone else?

I too like to see different skins on my characters, makes the game more personal to me. Like Dragon Age Origins.

Im roughly 7 hours or so in and Im enjoying it, but Im not on as much cause my 360 doesnt seem to like it :/ The characters do have some funky personalities, battle system is a nice change, but the different terms used in game to the story can get so damn confusing.

I too like to see different skins on my characters, makes the game more personal to me. Like Dragon Age Origins.

Im roughly 7 hours or so in and Im enjoying it, but Im not on as much cause my 360 doesnt seem to like it :/ The characters do have some funky personalities, battle system is a nice change, but the different terms used in game to the story can get so damn confusing.

I can agree with the storyline getting a little confusing at first. I'm still trying to understand it. I bought the game and it has definitely exceeds my expectations. The new battle system is interesting, weapons, 'level up', it's interesting. BUT, if you are an old school FF fan, don't buy it. I bought it because I got tired of playing the repetitive maps on MW2.

Terms like what?... I agree for DAO. I love the fact that every piece of armor looked different, and let you customize your setup more. This really bothered me in X and XII since there was a significant improvement in graphics...

What are your complaints to far?

What are your complaints to far?

The game being linear. I can understand if they are in the certain places but it's a must to have a world map for the FF games. Being linear, for me, it gets too repetitive.

It's a whole new level of gaming on the current generation of consoles. I say go for it because the amount of time you put into FFXIII will no doubt make up for the $$ you spend on purchasing the game.

I mean there's no need to rush and get it right away, even though I did because come on, I love Final Fantasy. But, I definitely thing each game in the series is worth a shot, and this one is no different. Definitely find a way to get your mits on this game!

If you have disposable income then give it a try. I can't say its really bad so far (i've only played a couple of hours so far). Although there has been nothing about it that has wowed me yet. The graphics are good but then again if i want good graphics i'll turn on my PC and play crysis.

If you liked FF10 more then FF12 then you will probable enjoy 13.
If you are a fan of cinematic games then you will probably enjoy FF13.

If you are looking for a sandbox RPG adventure with tons of exploration opportunities then maybe give dragon age a try.

I am personally enjoying FF13 and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys past final fantasy games or more traditional story based JRPGs.

Thinking about buying this game

I never played final fantasy ever except a demo that came with my dragon quest 8 game a long time ago, but i want to play this because i love rpg's and i think the girl with the orange hair is sooo cute and i want to play as her!!! Oh and i am new so hey yall.
So should i buy this game?
or will it be too tough? :(
x3

I just opened my copy of XIII, I haven't gotten very far but...someone PLEASE tell me this game has an MP gauge. o_O

no it does not even have any mp in it it use other elem to limit you.
it does this for one reason so that you wont be s depend on items like other games and wont have to spend so much on items.

I like the new way they do it.

Plus i gotten to pulse play for a little over 30hr so far. I love the new battle system it awesome. just you need to play for like 6hr before ya really know how it works

I'm one of those Final Fantasy fans that really likes the classics. I like the old style of doing things. I was never interested in XI, and XII disappointed me. And now I'm hearing that XIII also abandons many traditions in the FF series. It's linear, there's no town exploration, no world map, and NO CLASSIC VICTORY FANFARE!!? I don't know. I mean, the characters look cool and the graphics look excellent, but I'm afraid it won't feel like a FF game. What do you guys think.

First yes until you get to pulse it pretty straight forward.
However i just got to pulse and the map is giant their hundreds of side quest. All together it giant,plus before you get to pulse it makes sense that their is no towns. Since the place it nother but big cities and you can't go place where you maybe spotted. So going to a town would be stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
But...I liked using magic and items during battle. Not only that, but your health automatically recovers after every battle and you can only control one character. I hate sounding negative, in fact I'm usually very positive, but I think they're making it too easy.

I never played final fantasy ever except a demo that came with my dragon quest 8 game a long time ago, but i want to play this because i love rpg's and i think the girl with the orange hair is sooo cute and i want to play as her!!! Oh and i am new so hey yall.
So should i buy this game?
or will it be too tough? :(
x3
Uhmm, hi :monster:

Anyways, what Final Fanasy are you talking about?
If im not mistaken XIV is online and is possibly an sequal to XI.

I mean idk about characters and whatnot so I can't say for sure cause I have no idea when you say "orange haired girl." so, could you expand on that so maybe i'll have an more correct answer to give you?

and as for it being tough...
it all depends.

Do you mean the orange haired girl Oerba Dia Vanille? That girl is from Final Fantasy XIII. I think you are probably mistaken for Final Fantasy XIII.

Anyway, I'll merge this with the FFXIII Worth Getting thread.

[Threads Merged]

Last edited:
In my opinion, from what I've played so far, this game is definitely worth getting.

So much has happened so far that it's already sucked me right into the story and I don't want to put down the controller. I ended up doing so due to getting a bit sleepy though. XD

Great graphics, soundtrack and the characters are all loveable.

It definitely feels like a proper FF game to me.

But it depends on you and whether it does that for you.

Most definitely. Final Fantasy XIII makes all the others look minor. It's a major new hit, and there are epic views and landscapes. Square Enix mastered everything on the edition to the series. The colours are vibrant, the characters are realistic and individual. They all have separate stories and pasts, which intertwine well. You'd be a fool to not pick this up, the game is, in my opinion - amazing. It can be tricky, but it is fantastic.

Get it!

Back