FFXIII - Worth Getting?

FFXIII - Worth Getting?
Hell no

Deadspace2fan

Mod Edit: You may want to expand on this post a bit more with some reasons at least, as short posts such as this are generally seen as spam in post count sections such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion this game is not worth getting.

It is very linear in every way. The battles are linear, the maps are linear and even when the game 'opens up' it's still linear!!

The thing I have the biggest issue with though is the battle system. It gives you the option to 'auto battle' taking away any fun you could have had picking your own attacks. Sure you can go in and pick attacks for yourself but what for when 'auto battle' picks the attacks you were going to use anyway!

They tried to streamline the game so much that it doesn't even feel like you're playing a game.

The characters aren't loveable either. They're very bland, and I found I didn't care about what happened to them. They force you play each character in pairs for half the game which is completely irritating. I Hated it.

The graphics are fantastic however but I can't say graphics alone are a good reason to buy this.

The only reason I'd tell anyone to buy this was if they were planning on getting XIII-2 which is sounding better than XIII already (still not sold on it though)

The game is so worth getting... everybody else just keeps a high expectation which makes them blind to the true beauty of the game... Stop comparing it to the other FF games cause it isnt the other games... XIII is XIII and that is that... new game new change-up... god i hate it how people do that... rating it compared to the past... its not supposed to be like the others... you dont like it then dont buy the new ones and stick with the old

The game is so worth getting... everybody else just keeps a high expectation which makes them blind to the true beauty of the game... Stop comparing it to the other FF games cause it isnt the other games... XIII is XIII and that is that... new game new change-up... god i hate it how people do that... rating it compared to the past... its not supposed to be like the others... you dont like it then dont buy the new ones and stick with the old

But you have to understand, while the Final Fantasy games do not share the same storyline, they are still all Final Fantasy games. They should absolutely be compared, otherwise why continue to name them Final Fantasy? It's not a seperate game at all like you seem to be saying, it's part of a franchise, thay are Final Fantasy games. Hence why people compare them, it's silly to say they can't be compared. It's not like comparing Dragon Quest to Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts to Final Fantasy, it's comparing Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy.

I completely hated FFXIII, mostly because the story was drible and the characters were dull, and yes I compared it to other Final Fantasy games. Why? Because it is a Final Fantasy! Every Final Fantasy has variation and there is nothing at all wrong with disliking where Square went with XIII or complaining about it. It was shit, the worse of the series I've played.

Xx..xX

But you have to understand, while the Final Fantasy games do not share the same storyline, they are still all Final Fantasy games. They should absolutely be compared, otherwise why continue to name them Final Fantasy? It's not a seperate game at all like you seem to be saying, it's part of a franchise, thay are Final Fantasy games. Hence why people compare them, it's silly to say they can't be compared. It's not like comparing Dragon Quest to Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts to Final Fantasy, it's comparing Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy.

I completely hated FFXIII, mostly because the story was drible and the characters were dull, and yes I compared it to other Final Fantasy games. Why? Because it is a Final Fantasy! Every Final Fantasy has variation and there is nothing at all wrong with disliking where Square went with XIII or complaining about it. It was shit, the worse of the series I've played.

Xx..xX

I'm sorry to say you are wrong... SE have stated that every FF game (Not counting sequels) is a game in its own... every FF game is different... the only thing they are supposed to have in common is the title of Final Fantasy... but of course like most people im guessing you dont care what SE says do you... FFXIII is a game in its own which means it isnt supposed to be compare... its a different world with different people and a different story... you know people have said that the first time while they had high expectations for it didnt like it as compared to the rest... then they played through it a second time with their expectations gone and realized it actually was a good game... so having high expectations on a DIFFERENT game that is completely not like the other games since it is a new game not an old 1 is seriously wrong... i've said this in a different post where comparing FFXIII and having expectations is just like expecting your younger child to be like the older... would you do that??? im guessing you would if your older child had all sorts of talent... you know how i can tell??? cause you are doing it with FFXIII comparing it to its older siblings

Personally I liked game and I do think it's worth getting it.

Sure I was expecting to have a lot more freedom and it to be like its predecessors with tons of optional quests, secret bosses, summons, etc.
But despise the somewhat linearity of the game the new battle system, Paradigm Shift, Stagger, Gestalt Mode, etc still made the game quite enjoyable. I also liked most of the cast, except Hope and Sazh.

Ultimately it's up to the person itself, but I think it's worth giving it at least a try or look it up better before letting all the bad reviews and fan's hate cloud your own judgement about the game.

I'm sorry to say you are wrong... SE have stated that every FF game (Not counting sequels) is a game in its own... every FF game is different... the only thing they are supposed to have in common is the title of Final Fantasy... but of course like most people im guessing you dont care what SE says do you... FFXIII is a game in its own which means it isnt supposed to be compare... its a different world with different people and a different story... you know people have said that the first time while they had high expectations for it didnt like it as compared to the rest... then they played through it a second time with their expectations gone and realized it actually was a good game... so having high expectations on a DIFFERENT game that is completely not like the other games since it is a new game not an old 1 is seriously wrong... i've said this in a different post where comparing FFXIII and having expectations is just like expecting your younger child to be like the older... would you do that??? im guessing you would if your older child had all sorts of talent... you know how i can tell??? cause you are doing it with FFXIII comparing it to its older siblings

Yes the games are separate in their own right, I did say they are varied and that's fine. But you cannot say people should not compare Final Fantasy's, they are a franchise, they share a name, they are part of a continuation. They are not separate games completely unconnected like you say, otherwise Square would not have called their second game FFII, they would have called it a new name and nobody would have ever compared it to its predecessor. They chose to link these games together, to make them as a franchise.

I played FFXIII with expectations for it to be a good game, not for it to be like the ones before it, I never expected something like the rest of the Final Fantasy's, know why? Because they are all different, they are all games in their own right. I had high expectations because it looked so good and because I have loved every Final Fantasy I've played before it.

Like I said before, comparing Final Fantasy to final Fantasy is completely reasonable, it's not comparing two separate games unrelated to each other, it's comparing the next game in a franchise. Complain about people comparing Final Fantasy to Star Ocean or to Deus Ex, but don't complain that people are comparing Final fantasy to Final Fantasy, that's silly.

Xx..xX

Last edited:
Yes the games are separate in their own right, I did say they are varied and that's fine. But you cannot say people should not compare Final Fantasy's, they are a franchise, they share a name, they are part of a continuation. They are not separate games completely unconnected like you say, otherwise Square would not have called their second game FFII, they would have called it a new name and nobody would have ever compared it to its predecessor. They chose to link these games together, to make them as a franchise.

I played FFXIII with expectations for it to be a good game, not for it to be like the ones before it, I never expected something like the rest of the Final Fantasy's, know why? Because they are all different, they are all games in their own right. I had high expectations because it looked so good and because I have loved every Final Fantasy I've played before it.

Like I said before, comparing Final Fantasy to final Fantasy is completely reasonable, it's not comparing two separate games unrelated to each other, it's comparing the next game in a franchise. Complain about people comparing Final Fantasy to Star Ocean or to Deus Ex, but don't complain that people are comparing Final fantasy to Final Fantasy, that's silly.

Xx..xX

the FF games arent a continuation at all... each world is a different world and everything... if you think they are connected by anything other then the name then idk what series you been playing... and like i said... comparing Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy is the same thing as comparing Child to Child... in all honesty its in human nature... but at the same time its not right... it may be a franchise but they ARE completely unrelated with the exception of the name... just because they are part of a franchise dont mean a thing... different games means different battle systems and different names. most of all different stories... anybody who says that XIII's story is crap doesnt even know a good story if it slapped them across the face, gave them a wet willy, gave them a wedgy, shoved their face in a toilet, and threw them in a dumpster... the story was well played out... everybody had their part in it and if you find anything missing then go through the menu and start going through everything... it was a well played story and had great char's... the only real issues the game had was the gameplay... people just like to nitpick at everything...

overall in Final Fantasy i would say that IMO XIII ranks in the top 10... i mean it is my 3rd favorite FF game but overall i say it ranks that high.... and in all this im including all the other non-main line games that didnt get a number... to anybody reading this... the game is worth a try... as long as you keep an open mind im sure you will enjoy this game... just try not to compare it

the FF games arent a continuation at all... each world is a different world and everything... if you think they are connected by anything other then the name then idk what series you been playing... and like i said... comparing Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy is the same thing as comparing Child to Child... in all honesty its in human nature... but at the same time its not right... it may be a franchise but they ARE completely unrelated with the exception of the name... just because they are part of a franchise dont mean a thing... different games means different battle systems and different names. most of all different stories... anybody who says that XIII's story is crap doesnt even know a good story if it slapped them across the face, gave them a wet willy, gave them a wedgy, shoved their face in a toilet, and threw them in a dumpster... the story was well played out... everybody had their part in it and if you find anything missing then go through the menu and start going through everything... it was a well played story and had great char's... the only real issues the game had was the gameplay... people just like to nitpick at everything...

overall in Final Fantasy i would say that IMO XIII ranks in the top 10... i mean it is my 3rd favorite FF game but overall i say it ranks that high.... and in all this im including all the other non-main line games that didnt get a number... to anybody reading this... the game is worth a try... as long as you keep an open mind im sure you will enjoy this game... just try not to compare it

Wow, way to show your ignorance and intolerance of anybody who doesn't share the same view as you. XIII's story was a load of crap, it could have been good, had the potential, but it ended up being boring, contrived and generally just shit. The characters were even worse, they were all generic (with the exception of Sazh) and they didn't have an ounce of development through the whole story. I like how at the end you put 'IMO' as if that makes slating others opinion right.

It's not nitpicking to dislike a game because it's lacking in pretty much everything. I could have forgiven the rubbish story and characters if the gameplay had been good, but it was even worse. I could have forgiven the horrendous gameplay if the story had been even halfway good.

Comparing Final Fantasy is not like comparing two children, it's like comparing two games with the same name. If your first child was called Taylor you wouldn't call your second child TaylorII unless you wanted them to be compared would you? If Square didn't want the Final Fantasies to be connected in any way then like I said, they would not have made it a franchise, they would have made them separate games. They chose not to do that.

Xx..xX

Wow, way to show your ignorance and intolerance of anybody who doesn't share the same view as you. XIII's story was a load of crap, it could have been good, had the potential, but it ended up being boring, contrived and generally just shit. The characters were even worse, they were all generic (with the exception of Sazh) and they didn't have an ounce of development through the whole story. I like how at the end you put 'IMO' as if that makes slating others opinion right.

It's not nitpicking to dislike a game because it's lacking in pretty much everything. I could have forgiven the rubbish story and characters if the gameplay had been good, but it was even worse. I could have forgiven the horrendous gameplay if the story had been even halfway good.

Comparing Final Fantasy is not like comparing two children, it's like comparing two games with the same name. If your first child was called Taylor you wouldn't call your second child TaylorII unless you wanted them to be compared would you? If Square didn't want the Final Fantasies to be connected in any way then like I said, they would not have made it a franchise, they would have made them separate games. They chose not to do that.

Xx..xX

honestly if this game was written as a book it would be one of the most popular fantasy stories out their... many stories have been written kinda like it and yet when this kind of story shows up in a game its rubbish??? honestly i think that is nitpicking.... and it is like comparing 2 children.... they have the same last name dont they??? think of the FF games as the children of SE (since they basically are) and you say that FFIII is better then FFIV.... you are saying the older child FFIII is better then the younger FFIV... it just like saying your older child Johnny is better then your younger child Jimmy... say FFIII was getting good marks all over and FFIV was lacking where FFIII Excels and all you can say to FFIV is "why aren't you like your older brother?" its in human nature but it still doesnt make it right cause it hurts self esteem... i understand the FF games are just games but if you treat games like this you are most likely going to treat your kids the same way...

honestly if this game was written as a book it would be one of the most popular fantasy stories out their... many stories have been written kinda like it and yet when this kind of story shows up in a game its rubbish??? honestly i think that is nitpicking.... and it is like comparing 2 children.... they have the same last name dont they??? think of the FF games as the children of SE (since they basically are) and you say that FFIII is better then FFIV.... you are saying the older child FFIII is better then the younger FFIV... it just like saying your older child Johnny is better then your younger child Jimmy... say FFIII was getting good marks all over and FFIV was lacking where FFIII Excels and all you can say to FFIV is "why aren't you like your older brother?" its in human nature but it still doesnt make it right cause it hurts self esteem... i understand the FF games are just games but if you treat games like this you are most likely going to treat your kids the same way...

What you're saying is ridiculous. You're saying that Square games are like their children, I would agree - but they don't just make Final Fantasy games, so comparing Jack to Jill would be comparing Final Fantasy to Star Ocean. Naming their second game Final Fantasy II would be like them calling their second child JackII after his brother Jack.

I can't believe I'm even arguing about this, it should be obvious - Final Fantasy games are connected by name, they are a franchise, they are meant to be compared, hence why they all have characters called Cid, they all have airships, they all have moogles, these are just little things to remind you that you are playing a game that is part of a franchise.

Trust me, of all the Final Fantasies I've played, XIII's story is the second worse (XII being the worst). That wouldn’t change if it were a book. If a book had as little character development and made you look up the index every few paragraphs to see the notes so you could piece together the story it'd never see the shelves. Unless of course it was part of a franchise, in which case it'd be bought because people support the franchise and look forward to seeing the latest instalment.

Xx..xX

What you're saying is ridiculous. You're saying that Square games are like their children, I would agree - but they don't just make Final Fantasy games, so comparing Jack to Jill would be comparing Final Fantasy to Star Ocean. Naming their second game Final Fantasy II would be like them calling their second child JackII after his brother Jack.

omg i cant believe you... your children are going to have the same last name right??? its the same damn thing just the first names are the same instead of the last... yes they are part of a franchise but they AREN'T THE SAME!!! they are unique just like every damn human being... yes they will have some of the same qualities but they are STILL DIFFERENT!!! stop taking what im saying and putting it into your own interpretation because you arent seeing what i am saying... the way im saying it is not like comparing FF to SO... what you are saying is ridiculous

omg i cant believe you... your children are going to have the same last name right??? its the same damn thing just the first names are the same instead of the last... yes they are part of a franchise but they AREN'T THE SAME!!! they are unique just like every damn human being... yes they will have some of the same qualities but they are STILL DIFFERENT!!! stop taking what im saying and putting it into your own interpretation because you arent seeing what i am saying... the way im saying it is not like comparing FF to SO... what you are saying is ridiculous

I'm not twisting your words, I'm stating my opinion. Your not the only one entitled to have one you know, despite how you don't like anyone else disliking this game. You believe that it's wrong to compare Final Fantasy games, I think you're wrong and I'm just trying to tell you why. There's really no need to get so angry.

Square are not parents, they are a game company, they make games, lots of them, separately, with different names, with different stories, with different characters, with different themes, some independent and some part of a franchise. They chose to name the Final Fantasy games together, to brand them as a franchise, that much isn't in question surely, it couldn't be more obvious? I believe that as a franchise people are entitled to compare them, like with any franchise. I mean, a lot of people will have bought Final Fantasy XIII just because of its name, just because it's part of their favourite franchise. If they're disappointed in it why should they not complain that it's not half as good as its predecessors?

Xx..xX

I'm not twisting your words, I'm stating my opinion. Your not the only one entitled to have one you know, despite how you don't like anyone else disliking this game. You believe that it's wrong to compare Final Fantasy games, I think you're wrong and I'm just trying to tell you why. There's really no need to get so angry.

Square are not parents, they are a game company, they make games, lots of them, separately, with different names, with different stories, with different characters, with different themes, some independent and some part of a franchise. They chose to name the Final Fantasy games together, to brand them as a franchise, that much isn't in question surely, it couldn't be more obvious? I believe that as a franchise people are entitled to compare them, like with any franchise. I mean, a lot of people will have bought Final Fantasy XIII just because of its name, just because it's part of their favourite franchise. If they're disappointed in it why should they not complain that it's not half as good as its predecessors?

Xx..xX

because if you compare it you will be disappointed and comparing isnt healthy... and honesty technically SE are like parents... they bring life to games... they bring them into the world and give them a life to live... they give birth to some really good games... to an artist they give life to their creations... i understand that SE didnt start the FF series but SE is basically Square Soft since SS merged with another company making it SE so they are parents... im guessing you dont understand the feelings of artists do you... they bring life to the characters they create, give them a story that will live on forever...

because if you compare it you will be disappointed and comparing isnt healthy... and honesty technically SE are like parents... they bring life to games... they bring them into the world and give them a life to live... they give birth to some really good games... to an artist they give life to their creations... i understand that SE didnt start the FF series but SE is basically Square Soft since SS merged with another company making it SE so they are parents... im guessing you dont understand the feelings of artists do you... they bring life to the characters they create, give them a story that will live on forever...

I do understand the feelings of artists, I'm a graphic design student working to be a character designer so I know about designing characters and games. It's not really unhealthy to compare I wouldn't say...what's so wrong with it? It makes explaining easier doesn't it? That way when someone says I didn't like the battle system they can say 'it would have been better like...' or 'it's the worst I've played in this franchise' to better get across the message they're trying to get at.

Like I said, all Square Enix (or Soft) games would be like their children, but then the children with the same name are what? It would be different if Square only ever made games called Final Fantasy, but they don't. If they didn't want the games connected they wouldn't have labelled them together. They wouldn't continue to make games in a series, they'd use the characters, storyline and other ideas under a different name, if they didn't want them to be seen as a series, a franchise and connected in that way, bound to be compared.

Xx..xX

I do understand the feelings of artists, I'm a graphic design student working to be a character designer so I know about designing characters and games. It's not really unhealthy to compare I wouldn't say...what's so wrong with it? It makes explaining easier doesn't it? That way when someone says I didn't like the battle system they can say 'it would have been better like...' or 'it's the worst I've played in this franchise' to better get across the message they're trying to get at.

Like I said, all Square Enix (or Soft) games would be like their children, but then the children with the same name are what? It would be different if Square only ever made games called Final Fantasy, but they don't. If they didn't want the games connected they wouldn't have labelled them together. They wouldn't continue to make games in a series, they'd use the characters, storyline and other ideas under a different name, if they didn't want them to be seen as a series, a franchise and connected in that way, bound to be compared.

Xx..xX

they have stated out to the public that they arent connected in any way besides the name... sure they have moogles and chocobo's but that doesnt make them connected.... it technically is a series but its a series of stand-alone games that have barely anything in common... and i will say it again... comparing games isnt healthy cause comparing games will get you into the habbit of it and you are gonna end up doing the same to your kids crushing their self esteem... and battle systems can be compared a different way... all you have to do is say "the battle system could have been better if this could do that or that could do this" and saying its the worst in the series should usually work with games that are actually connected like the GoW series or something... something stand-alone is supposed to be unique just like FFXIII... it is unique and has a different game style as the rest... but because its different you dont need to compare it

Personally I think it's worth getting for a wide variation of gamers, it has alot of great features about but the story is absolutely brilliant, any gamer who enjoys a good long deep hearted story should buy this! Not to mentions the graphics & scenery, Square Enix did a fantastic job with the Graphics in this Title, and I hope XIII-2 is as good if not better than this. Another great thing is the battle system although you can only control one character, the paradigm system makes up for that and gives you a great way to battle. On a whole this game is great and should be bought by anyone with a good gaming ethic!

IMO 13 is not worth the purchase as it's easily one of the worst(if not the worst) of the entire FF series. The story line is dull, shit, and boring. I had no interest in any of the characters and didn't love any of them outside of Sazh. The battle system is an absolute joke as about 98% of your fights are just you mashing auto battle. There are very very few fights where Paradigm shifting is even necessary. The leveling system is crap, has no customization, and is completely linear, just like the game.
Final Fantasy has become a joke after X as they have completely abandoned what made them so great in the past.

Last edited:
It's not a traditional final fantasy game, but still has this "final fantasy feeling". The game is great imo, although anyone that aproaches it thinking about classics, will be disapointed.

Back