FFXIII - Worth Getting?

But...I liked using magic and items during battle. Not only that, but your health automatically recovers after every battle and you can only control one character. I hate sounding negative, in fact I'm usually very positive, but I think they're making it too easy.

their still is plenty of magic all the old spells are still in it.
Actually they added a a ton new spells.

However the jobs are called different know.

commando is phy damage class with some magic.
Ravager is black mage.
Sentinel is tank who can do damage once ya get it high lvl.
saboteur is debuffer weaken enemies a ton and do some damage.
synergist is buffer tons and tons of buffs i love making lightning weapon into fire are some other elemt.
medic well a full on healer.

uh and just wait until ya get further into the game this giant green mushroom boss is where it start to get hard.
then when you get to pulse you will be killed over and over again.
by just reg monsters.

uh and the item i am glad they made it where you do not have to use many of them.
since that have always took most of my money away and it annoying.

Definetly Worth It

This game is definetly worth buying to me. Any fan of the series who owns a 360 or ps3 would be crazy not to buy this.

I have a website where I just reviewed Final Fantasy XIII and have other reviews and news, please check it out.
www.TonyReviewsGames.com or follow me on twitter @TonySanchez84

i'd suggest getting it, the story oozes FF, but it is getting away from what made the series great, it's starting to feel a bit mainstream, But still fun. i wish they would go back to there roots. we played through 10 games with an intricate micromanagement style so why mess with it i say

Definitely worth it. The way the game just pushes you along the narrative makes it really compelling and you just can't help feeling like you need to play just a little more to uncover some new truth in the plot.

The battle system makes gameplay really seamless and the graphics are just really gorgeous, even on an SDTV. Great as advertised.

I'm about 4 ish hours into the game and so far I really enjoy it! The graphics are beautiful which makes the scenery come to life. At first it's a bit confusing but, once you get the hang of it, it becomes a good game! I like the battle system and the different personalities of the characters and i'd recommend getting the game for sure =]

I'll personally say that myself I am not too impressed with FFXIII. That being said, I do not think that it is a mediocre release at this point.

However, when was the last time Square Enix gave you a flagship title that didn't occupy you for a good 35-50 hours?

Hell, even one of their spinoff titles (Final Fantasy Tactics [PSX/PSP]) was more deserving of a flagship title than a few of their flagship titles.

That being said, I think just about any flagship FF title is worth buying.

It's too early to follow off of someone else's thoughts of the game that are running around saying 'this game is the omgwtfbbqgsupersauce of games'. The game's content is still fresh to them and there's still plenty of hype to go around.

I haven't played it yet, however I don't intend on it. I've already learned myself on the specifics involving the game. Most notably, the vast changes which stray from traditional styles. At this point, is it really an FF title or merely an RPG with the iconic logo slapped on for dramatic effect? I prefer the styles implemented throughout VII-VIII-IX-X.

What specifics don't interest me? I'll happily list them out so those who have actually played the game can clarify a bit closer.

-Your health restores after every battle

-You're warped outside of a battle upon losing

-If your main character dies, it's game over

-The entire game is linear

-You aren't required or allowed to grind until 20 hours in

-The storyline doesn't hold much depth

-The only character that looks somewhat appealing is Snow

-No traditional towns exist

-You can't flee from battles

-The summons are now transformers

It's a whole new level of gaming on the current generation of consoles. I say go for it because the amount of time you put into FFXIII will no doubt make up for the $$ you spend on purchasing the game.

I mean there's no need to rush and get it right away, even though I did because come on, I love Final Fantasy. But, I definitely thing each game in the series is worth a shot, and this one is no different. Definitely find a way to get your mits on this game!

Well i don't get much money so often so that means new game releases (that costs around 60-69 euros on my country) are expensive to me, when FFXIII released i automatically bought because i still think that any FF game is a good investment, FFXIII is not the best nor the worst game in the series, but really worth buying :) and yeah i agree with you, there is no need to rush for buying this game, it's so popular that there are definitely loads of stores that will competition with other stores with the prices, and lower them down :)

I haven't played it yet, however I don't intend on it. I've already learned myself on the specifics involving the game. Most notably, the vast changes which stray from traditional styles. At this point, is it really an FF title or merely an RPG with the iconic logo slapped on for dramatic effect? I prefer the styles implemented throughout VII-VIII-IX-X.

Yea im with you. I loved FF X and the other old ones as well. But i totally hated Final Fantasy XII, the battle system sucked and the story was bull aswell.
So im right now wondering that how does XIII feels like? Is it more like Final Fantasy XII?

The game is great but a bit to linear. It would be fun if square made a old school final fantasy again

Id suggest buying it....second hand.
I owne all the final fantasies except for the WII ones...simply because I hate the DS enough and I have no desire to waste my money on a WII I dont plan to ever use.
The game XIII is either loved or hated ....I just think its an interactive movie and regret wasting my funds on it NEW

The graphics of this game were the best I have ever seen, but there were some things about it that were pretty annoying. The exp system was not something I enjoyed. And the music at the end of every battle was not the classic FF song, which was pretty disappointing. Other than that the story kind of confused me.

Just got this game five days ago, and I have been thoroughly enjoying playing it, it is definitely worth buying, without a doubt.

So far I am to Chapter 8, I've been playing it a lot, and I think I am near the end of the chapter I am on, mildly annoying though that lately the gameplay has been chock full of battles that I've found to be nigh impossible, but was able to win after using a Fortisol and Aegisol before entering the battle (though there was at least one time that I couldn't even get the chance to do this when I played this morning. :gonk:). >.>

Advice to you players of FFXIII or those that plan to get it in the future; don't race through the areas, and go avoiding battle whenever you could, you'll desperately need whatever stat increases and abilities your characters currently available to you can get, because once you get through a few chapters or so, there can be some pretty tough boss battles. >.>

I finished the game today and in all I think it is most certainly worth the money, I have enjoyed it from start to finish. Yes it is a little to linear but to be honest I preferred it because I can just get on with the story. Love the battle system and the Cyrstarium etc I think it is worth it.

What specifics don't interest me? I'll happily list them out so those who have actually played the game can clarify a bit closer.

first i like the healing after battle since i always hated having to spend all my money on items.
So what it makes it where you don't got to save every sec, in fear of death.
the if ya main character die's that is to make the game harder.
the entire game is not linear yes a lot of it is but not the entire thing and after ya beat the game ya can go to any map and start doing tones of side quest which then it become really open world. plus once ya get to grand pulse in game it opens up a lot.
and yes you can grind right away if you wont to, however it is not needed until ya get 20hr into the game.
(the story line don't hold much depth) this one pisses me off, it one of the best story ff every thought of i loved the story and i loved the personality of the characters, i cried 30 min into the game. the appealing part that is a opinion so i leave it alone however to me lighting and fang or awesome appealing. guess the town thing can be annoying however did not bother me a bit i was fine with it since really all i every did in towns was buy stuff and ya can do that in save points. Plus it makes since no town with this story line, with this story line going to a ton would get ay killed.
the can't flee from battle was a bit annoying but since i could usually always not get into a battle i did not wont to it was okay.
the summon before i play it bother me. however they did it smart enough so it give ya a ton of control over them which makes it fun and made it where it did not feel like transformers. When playing with them.

sorry for bad eng

Yea im with you. I loved FF X and the other old ones as well. But i totally hated Final Fantasy XII, the battle system sucked and the story was bull aswell.
So im right now wondering that how does XIII feels like? Is it more like Final Fantasy XII?

i really really hated XII worse ff of all time, and yes i loved FFX and the old ones to, To me the battle system on FFXIII feels like FFX and FFX-2 with some of the old feeling of FF7-9. The characters was awesome love their personality, Hope only one that got on my nerves however once ya realize his age and what he been through it okay then he change a ton over time into a great character. The story line was brilliant.
Trust me it nothing like FXII if it was i would have not gone near FXIII.
FXII is in my all time 5 worst games every.

sorry for bad english

Mod edit: Please do not double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree, another thing which annoyed me was the music i mean its just so crap its not catchy like the PS final fantasys, they even ditched the victory fanfare and the sound effects on the menu really annoy me too.
I don't see why this game should even by final fantasy

It is worth buying and I am defo gonan steal my fiancee's PS3 and buy this game as I have played this game before in HMV and loved I found it sorta easy myself as I was on the part where ya fight Anima (where I found it hard!) was awesome and lovvvvve the battle system and snow is my all time favourite character :blush: he reminds me of Zell as well due to his eye color hair style and his fighting style AWESOME! Now me is a Zell and Snow fan girl! :blush:

I agree, another thing which annoyed me was the music i mean its just so crap its not catchy like the PS final fantasys, they even ditched the victory fanfare and the sound effects on the menu really annoy me too.
I don't see why this game should even by final fantasy

yes the music was crap... the music in the older ff was made by nobuo uematsu ... but in this one they used other composers ... i think the music could have made the game a lot better ... but he will be back for ff14

I agree that this game shouldn't be a final fantasy... i don't know, but the only logical explanation is that this game was made to target at younger players or new gamers to the final fantasy franchise... to support this idea, think that this is the first time for a long time (more than a decade) that a final fantasy title is not exclusive to Playstation... so XBox users are not even familiar to the series... so they toned down the chaotic gameplay (that we all love)

i mean... it's easy... beautiful graphics... not a lot of thinking required to play the main story... something everyone can play... but they've put in some extended content in order to please the older players

i'm hoping that ff:versus will use the old time classic formula

this game is definitely worth getting. a must have in every person's collection. i personally loved the music in this game the boss battles are amazing, the chocobo riding, the pompa sancta etc.....

Back