Minecraft

Abstract Debauchery

High Mage of Loathing
Veteran
Gil
I saw a video of this game a few days ago, and blew it off simply because of the graphics. It wasn't until later, when I was visiting 4chan's /v/ board (video games), that I saw a bunch of people praising this game.

So, I tried it out, and fell in love.

Even though the graphics are simple, and it looks like someone tried and failed to mix Super Mario 64 and Doom together, the gameplay and the overall concept drew me in.

You build things, tunnel, and that's it. (Or at least in exploration mode.) The maps are big, so there is so much to find and discover and explore that it's almost ridiculous. You can find people building many crazy things, and some wonderful things. (See below)

Someone that built their own world.

It takes time, and effort, but if you can imagine it, you can build it. Which is what drew me into it. I spent the first 4 hours playing this game just building random crap and tunneling and finding hidden underground passages.

Also, there is a survival mode that tests your survivability against monsters while having to gather resources and hide. It's very fun, and the option is great for people that don't like the exploration alone.

People have also started their own gametypes. They will trigger a magma waterfall that never ends and the players have to build a fort to stay safe from the lava before the lava kills them all.

They've even created their own sport. I forgot what it was called, and I didn't get that into it, but it was pretty cool looking.

Another great aspect is the RP servers. You go in, and you RP. With so much that you can do, you can come up with some very crazy scenarios.

Below are some random screens that I got from the game. Enjoy.

screenshot_20100305074558.png

screenshot_20100305083023.png

screenshot_20100305083446.png

screenshot_20100305083813.png

screenshot_20100305084119.png

screenshot_20100305091158.png

screenshot_20100305095907.png

screenshot_20100305180054.png

screenshot_20100305190017.png

screenshot_20100305192844.png

screenshot_20100305194826.png

Imagine a world where you had access to every lego imaginable and you could make anything you wanted and you could always find that piece that you're looking for, and you've got Minecraft.

Also, the game is in Alpha, so it's nowhere near done, and when the game is finally finished, you can bet your ass that it will be fantastic.

That does look quite impressive. I love to build things, and was always very fond of lego.

Usually in games that allow you to build levels etc (e.g Little Big Planet) I can never find the time to put the effort into actually building something good, though my imagination creates many ideas I'd love to build. This looks fairly simple to use and build with though, so it could be a lot of fun.

The graphics are quite terrible though, but graphics aren't everything. It looks like it could be fun if done well which is the main thing.

Also... I saw this and thought I'd post it as this looks very impressive.

New vidya of me going through my tunnels on Minecraft Indev. It was very fun, and it shows about an hour of work. The music isn't game generated, I put it in there.

I was playing on a huge floating map. Indev is pretty awesome because it's able to generate floating maps and it reminds me of Skies of Arcadia. :yay:

I played Minecraft game so many times.It is one of my favorite game.Recently,my friend gifted me this game.This game is so amazing and awesome.

Last edited:
I am currently playing the Xbox 360 Edition of the game which will soon be getting the big update to get creative mode etc. I find the game in the current state which is like it was at the very beginning a very boring game after long times. Now when they add in massive worlds, creative mode, food/hunger, sprinting, blocking etc to the xbox version I will then be playing it a lot more.

I've been playing Minecraft on PC since the 1.2 Beta. It doesn't cease to amaze me just how much this spark of an idea has grown.

Does anyone else around still play? Do you dabble in mods at all?

I've been playing the Feed the Beast Pack for quite awhile. Currently messing around in FTB Unleashed on a small server.

I'm on FTB Unleashed as well. I love playing with all the mods and am always excited with all the possibilities that tech mods like IC2, Tinker's Construct, etc and magic mods like Thaumcraft can bring to the table.

We should play Multiplayer. :jay: I'd be willing to join a server again (I used to play with Pockets for a while when it was just FTB Ultimate).

Well, a friend of mine has an Unleashed server going. Personally, I haven't gotten too far in it. It's whitelisted so if you're up for it, hit me up so we can trade usernames for the IP address. :p

Though I absolutely shudder to say so, should this not be moved to "Multiple Platforms" now?
Kirito greenyxi

Correct, Mr Pockets! With Minecraft being released for consoles also lately, the thread has been moved to the multi-platform section.

:sir:

Is anyone currently playing FTB Minecraft? I'm trying to play solo but it isn't the same without other people to share my stuff with. :(

Back