General KH Discussion Thread

Kingdom Hearts III New Mode and DLC

Dengeki Online has published a new interview with Kingdom Hearts III director Tetsuya Nomura, who discusses the addition of “Critical Mode” and future downloadable content.

Here are the notable tidbits:

• As far as I can see of the specific data, including the download version, sales numbers were good and far beyond my own expectations. We’re currently working on downloadable content, so I don’t quite have the feeling that we’ve finished yet, and I’ve been sleeping less post-release.
  • Before, Critical Mode was not in the original versions, but in the Final Mix versions [of the Kingdom Hearts games], so this time we’re going to release it as an update at a later date. It’s not about simply changing the numerical value to be stronger, we’re readjusting and debugging. Rather than just making it more difficult, we’re making adjustments to pinpoint a level of fun unique to Critical Mode.
  • There is all sorts of speculation in regards to the Secret Movie, but it isn’t so simple that it can be understood at this point in time.
  • While we’ve previously prepared “Final Mix” versions as separate packages, this time I want to add all additional elements through downloadable content. We will offer free downloadable content from what can be done through additional updates, but we’re also planning paid downloadable content to release several elements together as a batch. That being said, paid downloadable content will take a little while to produce, but I would like to finish within the year and have the team move on to its next work.
  • As for the future of the Kingdom Hearts series, while we’ve had various discussions, whether there will be anything, or whether we do something is still up in the air. I already have a full schedule for the rest of the year.
The following tidbits should be considered spoilers (translated by Cody Arnold, as I have not finished—well, started—Kingdom Hearts III yet):

• (Will there ever be a chance to talk about the members of the Organization whose true names are unknown and Isa’s scar?) If there is a sequel, then we may have the opportunity, but I don’t know what I want to do with that yet.
  • (It was pretty well explained how Roxas and Ventus were able to be revived, but could you shed light on how exactly Xion was able to be revived and enter the real Organization XIII?) I think it’s something that people could guess, but we plan to explain it in downloadable content.
  • (We think players who finished Kingdom Hearts 3 are interested in the girl Lea and Isa are looking for as well as the Nameless Star in the Final World. Could you give some sort of hint as to who they are? Did they appear in any of the previous games?) I think you can guess who the girl is if you consider both the secret movie and the secret reports. As for the Nameless Star, we’ll find out in the future.
  • (What kind of place is Scala Ad Caelum, which also appeared in the final trailer? It seems to resemble Daybreak Town from Kingdom Hearts Union χ; are they related?) Scala Ad Caelum and Daybreak Town have a connection that can be understood if you look carefully.
  • (Who were those people in black clothes who appeared in Scala Ad Caelum?) They are replicas.
Kingdom Hearts III is available now for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Having beat Kingdom Hearts III, I find this nauseating! It was a great experience from start to finish but after beating the game … that was it - beyond the typical trophy tasks mop up. I built up all my weapons and synthesised all the items for a trophy... not an in-game challenge, this has left me a bit annoyed especially if they held back on content for DLC on purpose - Which seems to be a situation I hear far too often in the industry now. All that said, it was a brilliant experience and still one of the best games I've played this gen... I just really detest DLC!

KH-Story-So-Far_03-01-19.jpg

Square Enix has announced the return of Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far to U.S retailer such as BestBuy and GameStop. It will launch in Canada and Latin America on March 15, followed by Europe on March 29. The price for the entire Kingdom Hearts Saga is $39.99.

Here is an overview of the collection, via Square Enix:
In Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far, Keyblade wielders can relive the magical adventures of Sora, Donald Duck, Goofy and friends as they attempt to stop the Heartless invasion that threatens their universe. Fans will travel to iconic Disney locales and join forces with beloved Disney and Final Fantasy characters in order to fight back against the threat of darkness and bring back light to all worlds.
The compilation includes the following games:
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
    • Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
    • Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
    • Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (HD Remastered cinematics)
    • Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
    • Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix
    • Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (HD Remastered cinematics)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue
    • Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD
    • Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep –A fragmentary passage–
    • Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover (movie)
Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far is available for PlayStation 4.

A new trailer of Kingdom Hearts III has been released at E3 2019 showcasing its first DLC. Here is the latest trailer of KIngdom Hearts III. Enjoy!

I'm sorry... but I jsut can't get excited for this... I played through the whole Saga prior to the release of Kingdom Hearts III & then relished the game as I played it during a week off work - It was a great gaming experience which I treasure but I am done with it! after nearly7-10 months I'm completely out of the zone and to go back and play more content after just doesn't fill me with the same hype I had upon my experience with the main game... I'm simply done with it. I might buy it on sale a year or so down the line but I'm really not excited for this at all, part of me wishes I could but the drice simply isn't there.

Another Kingdom Hearts III trailer has been revealed. Here is the new trailer of Kingdom Hearts III RE:Mind DLC. Enjoy!

Last edited:
The closer it comes to the release date, the more hyped I am about the DLC. The bulk of the DLC will give me another reason to play through Kingdom Hearts 3 again, which I'll spin out as a reason to play through the franchise again. However, it's Yozora that fascinates me; I think Nomura is going to use the next Kingdom Hearts instalment as a big platform to finally develop (in an alternate way) and pay homage to Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Also, given that the Xehanort saga has come to a close, it gives Nomura every opportunity to build the new Kingdom Hearts saga from the ground up and steer it towards a Versus XIII-esque reality. I honestly would not be surprised if there's a significant shift from Disney to Square-Enix franchises in future Kingdom Hearts titles - I certainly would not be surprised if Donald & Goofy were no longer present moving forward.

The 'Yozora' secret ending already has all the hallmarks of Final Fantasy XIII Versus:

- Final Fantasy XIII Versus 'Somnus' vs. Kingdom Hearts 3 'Somnus / Dearly Beloved'
- Final Fantasy XIII Versus 'Noctis' v. Kingdom Hearts 3 ''Yozora' + throne throwback to 'Noctis' vs. 'Yozora'
- Final Fantasy XIII Versus ''City of Insomnia Towers & Moon' vs. Kingdom Hearts 3 'City of Verum Rex/Shibuya Towers & Moon'
- Yozora (Japanese) = Noctem Caelo / Noctis Caelum (Latin) = Night Sky (English) = Yozora (Japanese)
-
Death themes present in Final Fantasy XIII Versus and The World Ends With You (Shibuya)(Shibuya mentioned in Dream Drop Distance)

One of the main questions for me with the introduction of Yozora is whether he will be an entirely new protagonist / antagonist, or an alternate universe Sora through another worldline: as Secret Report 12 mentions in Kingdom Hearts 3, 'Even on a worldline with no Keyblade War... I watched as the Five were sent to another worldline' confirming the existence of alternate universes. I think the Secret Reports were only made available post-game in Kingdom Hearts 3 to use lore to bridge the gap between Kingdom Hearts 3 and the next instalment without convoluting the end of the Xehanort saga whilst it was trying to tie everything up.

There are also indications that Yozora could be Sora from an alternate universe:

Yoru (Japanese) = Night (English)
Sora (Japanese) = Sky (English)
YoruSora ≈ Yozora = Night Sky (English)

In the ReMind DLC, both Yozora and Sora can be heard saying 'I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?' which was also the opening line of the original Kingdom Hearts opening. In essence, Kingdom Hearts has now gone full circle and is now beginning again with the Master of Masters targeting this alternate universe. Sora and Yozora meeting in The Final World would also make a lot of sense. Verum Rex is not a real entity in Sora's universe and thus, Yozora cannot exist if Sora exists - however, in an alternate universe, Yozora and Verum Rex could very much exist, but Sora as we know him, does not.

I don't think it would be beyond the realms of possibility either that there is only one of The Final World that connects all alternate universes; Chirithy herself explains that this world is on the edge of death and sleep and that those who can not, or do not want to die, reside - it also allows easier access to the Sleeping Worlds and Dive to the Heart. If Sora is able to travel to Sleeping Worlds via The Final World (which Chirithy stated he has done multiple times) it would make sense that The Final World could be the centre point for all universes. If Yozora and Sora are the same person, it could explain why they are both held in The Final World rather than dying; they are both significantly important in their respective universes.

Thus, The Final World could be the only point in which Yozora and Sora can connect - leading to the scene in the ReMind trailer of the two meeting. It would not surprise me if Yozora becomes the 'superboss / secret boss' in ReMind - almost Final Mix-esque.

I think the Foretellers could also end up playing a serious part moving forward. The new Organisation XIII in future instalments? Are Riku / Sora / Kairi foretellers from another worldline?

Theories aside, there's no doubt Yozora's introduction in the secret ending is significant; Roxas was introduced at the end of Kingdom Hearts & Aqua / Terra / Ven were introduced at the end of Kingdom Hearts II, all major characters. All characters resided in secret endings as was 'Yozora'.

And therein lies the conversation to myself in order to convince oneself that Kingdom Hearts has ever made sense.... is Kairi actually Sora's Chirithy?

Back