What are your fears?

DeadFantasy

Mysterious Warrior
Veteran
Gil
As always, i'd like to start off by saying that i've looked for this type of topic and boy, it was a lot of pages but I couldn't find it :hmmm: If you think it belongs elsewhere/ and or there is a similar topic do what you will with it, and I apologize in advance.
Pretty straightforward question really, what do you fear/are you scared of? It can be anything from spiders to being alone. Just wanted to see what other members fears are.

Some things I fear/am scared of:
Heights
Not getting married/finding my true love
Not being able to have children
big spiders
death
Being alone
loosing someone close to me
not being able to pay bills/rent etc
Snakes
and, that's all that I can think of at the time being though, if I think of more, i'll post them up! :monster:
Can't wait to see what your fears are, if any ^^

There are quite a few phobias I have, some of them rather small and trivial and others quite serious and common ones.

+Having loved ones die- I'm sure everyone here has at least one person they really care about. I'm particularly scared about any member of my relatives and closest friends dying, whether it will be through natural causes or freak accidents. Just thinking about the possibilities of unexpected deaths just make me feel unbelievably uncomfortable.

+Heights- You won't catch me on that highest building in the world in Dubai because I am terrified of heights. I have been in cities like Hong Kong and Vancouver on high buildings. Looking down just makes me lose all feeling of my legs.

+Claustrophobia- Beings stuck in a cramp elevator would be my worst nightmare. I am terrified of being stuck in confined environments and I tend to prefer large, open spaces.

+Insects- As a little girl, I've always been scared of insects - even looking at one. Woodlice, centipedes, millipedes, cockroaches......I just cringe at the mentioning of them.

+Molluscs- Similar to insects, I just find them utterly grotesque to even think about. Snails and slugs are the two molluscs I am terrified of. I remember seeing a slug on a window once and I completely went to pieces.

+Failure- It's a broad fear, but I hate and am scared of failure in many ways. Whether that be a job interview, exam, lesson, adapting to a certain environment or whatever - failure is something I try to always avoid.

Other than the obvious ones (something happening to loved ones/friends, or irreplaceable mementos or discs w/ my life's work on them getting damaged)....William Shatner and Alec Baldwin.

I have no idea when my fear of Shatner started, or why, but any time I see him on TV or in a movie, I shriek and have to look away. I think part of it is just how he talks, but something about his eyes creeps me out too. Especially in the new travel commercials he's been in, and in the movie Miss Congeniality when he's announcing at the pageant--when he says "California!" I have to run out of the room :nervous: And then at the end when the thing is burning down, he just stands there smiling and going on with the show! (I think he did it -__-). And, of course, one of my friends had to threaten to sneak into my house and put a lifesize cardboard cutout of him at the foot of my bed, so now I can't sleep at night.

Why I fear Alec Baldwin, has to be experienced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OOskNWi_I8

Especially at the end. You know there's cheese in there. There just has to be. :stressedpanda:

Well as much as I've grown up, I still have small fears, which some may not very much understand.

- Fear of Loss: I have learned to accept the worst things in life, but every time a loved one passes from unforeseen circumstances.. well I tend to have a chunk taken out of me. I might not show it, but under this smile is still those that I live for.

- Fear of not being in control of my life: Whenever I hear the news I turn if off because first of all I was born in a "free" country or so I thought. A lot of the stuff I have come to be a cynic about because of the doubt that has been put around me. I feel as if sometimes the capitalistic society in which we live in controls even me. I need enough to support my family, and sometimes that means saying no to a friend. If anyone knows me in real life, I usually put others first, but sometimes on very rare occasions, I can't do what I want because it will halt the survival of my family.

- Fear of Power: Ever since I was maybe 13 I've seen what power does to people. When one wants something he makes the necessary sacrifices in order to attain it, sometimes though it is too much in my opinion. Some people when they get a certain job position become who they truly are.. and turn on people. It is sad what people will do for power/money/sex etc.

- Fear of over analyzing: sometimes even the smallest things I over analyze. I mean I'm not paranoid nor do I jump to conclusions (well on rare occasions I do), but I want to understand every single thing there is to know in this world. If I don't understand it.. let's say a person shoots up a school, or a best friend screws his/her best friends girl.. I'm not capable of understanding it.. so I over analyze this until I'm half off my rocker.

- Fear of the lack of Heroes: When's the last time you could honestly say someone has done something for someone that made you go.. "wow." Meaning something so selfless, that it couldn't be called a jesus complex but an act of pure humility that inspires one person or more to follow in his or her tracks. I don't mean mother teresa figures.. I mean your every day person. When I do hear "stories" about folks who do some incredible things, I smile for a brief second.. but I think people are relying to much on movies and tv shows for heroes instead of actually real people.

Fear of Failure - We don't like doing things wrong, and we don't like imperfection all that much either. When we put our effort into something, we don't want it to go wrong. Which is why we don't like to be relied on. Because if we screw up, we know it was all our fault.

Neophobia - We don't enjoy being introduced to new things. When we're out of our element, and thrust into a new one. We really don't enjoy it.

Fear of uselessness - We don't enjoy being deemed useless. We like to make sure we will always have some sort of function.

Fear of drowning - As much as we love to swim, and love the water, ironically, we're fraking terrified of drowning.

Fear of swarms of killer bees - We hate bees. Never want to die by getting stung to death.

Fear of humiliation - That's one thing that we can't fraking stand. When we're humiliated the feeling is terrible. And when we have been, we will not stop until we get our vengence.

Fear of losing - We don't like to lose. We hate it. We love superiority and we do not enjoy feeling inferior to others. So you could say that we have a inferiority complex. :hmmm:

I used to have an extreme fear of roller coasters. Now I'll pretty much go on anything though, barring Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster. Actually, I still get that really nauseous feeling in my stomach just before getting on, but after that I'm fine.

I have a great fear of annoying people. I'll actually go out of my way to avoid people as to not annoy them, annoying them in the process. I don't want to be "that guy" that nobody wants there but just sticks around. Being that I'm a freshman, it doesn't help matters.

I suppose I have a fear of failure as well. It goes from things as simple to not fighting an extremely difficult optional boss in Final Fantasy to something like not asking a girl out because I'm pretty sure she'll say no. That might go along with a lack of confidence, so I'm not sure exactly what it is.

Some of my fears aren't that out of the ordinary, here are some to list.

Death - While I don't particularly fear my own death, I do mean by losing those close to me, friends, relatives or lover. While unfortunately death has made it's presence known in my life, a few years ago I did lose a couple good close friends and even lost a very special girl to me, I loved her dearly:sorry:. I know it's inevitable but we all do fear loss of someone close to us and sometimes even fear death itself because it is something unknown.

Big Spiders - I'll be honest I don't like big spiders, it's like how indiana jones always hated snakes. Other kinds of insects don't bother me even some of the more poisonous kind. I don't know what bothers me about spiders but just the sight of them scares me.

Crowds of People - What I mean by this is lets say you hang out with a few friends and then those few friends call or invite a bunch of other people they know and you don't and.... yeah.... things start going ape shit from there. Drugs, fights, the police, scary shit basically. There were a few instances where I had to "talk" with the police telling them that my friends were okay in hopes they wouldn't get busted for being high off their ass. This started back probably around my 7th or 8th grade year, and high school only made it worse. I hated having to babysit my friends and a bunch of other people I didn't know, so that's why I never really spoke to any of them again :eek:uttahere:.

Drowning - What happened when I was a kid up my folks had a Toyota truck that my dad accidentally drove into a lake with my mom and I and he couldn't back out and the truck cabin started filling up with water and we almost started drifting out in the lake. I was terrified but finally my dad opened the door and got us out, when we got out we had to call a tow truck to get the truck pulled out. I hated lakes and deep bodies of water for a while after that.

Failure - This is probably another clichéd fear but in my definition of failure I fear of failing in love & relationships. I grew up most of my life witnessing probably every failed relationship scenario within my family and friends. Most of the time it was because of cheating or affairs. It had an effect on my life and I often worried about what would happen if I was ever cheated on or for some glitch in the universe I cheated. Relationships are the most important thing in life and can define whether one will have a good life or not. If one cheats then chances are they're probably gonna have a miserable existence for the rest of their life, living with that burden.

I'm claustrophobic, though it doesn't always affect me, which is weird.... I guess it's just in certain situations and it makes me spaz out.. :hmmm: Like, I never used to like lifts, I used to have a mini panic attack, but Ive gotten over that now, what with using lifts over time, but I'm still iffy over other things

Fans. Ughhhhhhhhh:gonk: Not the fans you get to cool you down, the big fuckers, anything like that really from wind tunnel fans (bringing me out in cold sweats just thinking about it) to like, rotar blades, generators shit like that. It's the thought of being sucked into them and shredded, it scares the shit out of me :wacky:

I know exactly why I have that fear as well, and it's embarrassing xD

As for things I just don't like/I'm abit scared of

Spiders. I used to be terrified of them, but as long as they don't catch me off guard then I can easily dispose of them with the hoover/some bog roll. I'd stay up all night when i was little if there was a spider in my room just incase it got me inthe night. I remember waking up with one on my PILLOW once, Ive never jumped out of bed so fast inmy LIFE. But yeah, I don't like them, but I'm not arachnophobic or out

Geece. I. hate. geece. I got chased by a gaggle of guard geece once with my mum. infact Ive been chased off geece afew times. I think they can smell the fear :gonk: it's the way they look at me. Scare the bloody shit out of me they do. And they travel in packs

There's nothing much else really, Im not really all that worried about shit in my life, like bills and death and all that, though I do worry abit too mnuch about my friends/families wellbeing :hmmm:

My fears are:

Not being liked- I always try my hardest to try not offend people. I hate it when someone dislikes me for no reason or for things I don't know about. Since I try not to upset people too much I don't wan't them being angry with me....

Drowning- My mom almost drowned me in the ocean when I was little while teching me how to swim. I love air and I don't like the water. I'll gladly go to the beach to view a little eye candy but for swimming? Count me out.

Robbers in my house- I always have visions and nightmares at least once a couple months about robbers and murderers coming into my house and in each scenario, I always try to survive. These nightmares creep me out...

Myself- I'm always scared that I'm gonna do something to harm myself. I am always looking for someone to tame me in that way so that I don't make clumsy mistakes.

Lack of Love- I'm a romantic and I've been looking for that special someone for months nmow. I don't know why but in the summer I got like a lust for love and I can't stand the thought of being alone...

Well I got some fears, just like everyone. Here they are.

Big dogs -- Say what you want, but I've had bad experiences with dogs when I was a kid. I remember once when my brother and I were going home from a store where we found a dog. It chased us to no end, so my brother and I split up. I went home okay, but I felt like I abandoned my brother that day. I never told him, but I still feel bad about it, something that happened about 12 years ago.

Also, my family used to visit my mom's aunt every now and then, and she had a German Sheperd. It bit me on the leg, so let's just say I was never quite the dog person since then.

Spiders -- Like many people, I just FREAK OUT when I see a spider. When I was little, I used to squash them flat. But one day, when I killed a little one, a BIG one came out of nowhere, and ran away. I've been scared of spiders since then, especially when I'm caught off-guard. I wouldn't watch Ararchnophobia if my life depended on it.

Thunder and lightning -- I wasn't much afraid of it until about three years ago. I had to pick up my sister from her bus stop, and since I had no car I had to go walking. It was raining, and about halfway there, I start hearing loud thunder. The flashes of lightning were really bright, and I was just whimpering and almost broke down in tears. I had an umbrella with a metal tip, and you know what they say about lightning being attracted to metal and the tallest objects. But I had no choice; it was raining so hard.

So if we were to hang out, me and anyone here really, and it was about to rain, I'd ask YOU to take me home. Out of the things I mentioned so far, I'm scared of this the most. If you joked about it during a thunderstorm, I'd kick your butt so hard you'll need surgery to remove my size 12 (currently) shoe. Or at least I'd feel like doing that.

I know you may think this as very odd, but I'm petrified of fireworks. There's something about them that really frightens me, maybe it's the enourmosly insanely big bang noise that creeps the daylight out of me... Or the exploding lights... Or maybe both. I just cannot stand fireworks and I don't think they are as beautiful as others do.
So, I am basically afraid of loud noises. Be it a scream, a honk of a car, even in concerts... etc. It just really frightens me for some reason. I preffer peaceful atmosphere (that includes calm music). Ironically though, I grew up in a city.
I also have a fear of going under a bridges, also something odd...

But the thing that overkills all of the fears stated above is my fear of elevators. NO WAY. You WON'T get me in one, no matter how much you tried... Unless it's a glass one where I can see if I'm going up or down... The cause of this phobia is childhood experiences. I've been stuck in an elevator AT LEAST three times. Once when all lights went out, once in a hospital and others in my old apartament. It's not pleasant, let me tell you that. I still often have nightmares of getting stuck in an elevator.

I'm also quite afraid of daddy-long legs spiders, but not so much like I would scream. They're just not pleasant creatures to be around.

My own list of fears, listed in order of priority (how much they scare me):

Rejection: I've been rejected in many things, ranging from going for the lead in plays to confessing my true feelings to someone and they break all ties with me. I've been hurt badly thanks to rejection, and I now have a huge wall up between myself and others because of it.

Failure: I've been raised in a family of people who always got A's, even in college. :jtc: And I can't stand how everyone compares my grades and abilities to others, such as my sister. She and I operate in completely different ways, so I'm not going to be as perfect as she is. (Though she had her son at 16, and I've yet to have a child, so I've one-upped her there. :grin: ) Mean, and I apologize. xD Anyway, I'm just afraid of trying so hard just to fail.

Clowns: they're creepy. They're not right. They shouldn't exist. :mokken:

Chainsaws: Yeah, scary-assed noisy things that make me jump 10 feet just hearing them. :rage: Can't stand them.

...that's mainly it. xD

In terms of creatures and animals etc, nothing major springs to mind. I mean I'd probably be very anxious if I was dangling from a rope by my little toe over a tank of sharks, but I wouldn't say I'm scared of sharks, or anything that could eat me / kill me. If I meet one, I'll be concerned, but until then I don't say I fear them.

As for other things...
Death - I don't think many people love death, so it is a given that a lot of people are going to put this here. Not so much death of myself (though it is included in this) but death in general of people, close, and also just in general. I don't handle death well at all. I'm not a fan of losing anything, so losing people is 10 times, or 100 times worse and it really sucks.

I'm a bit claustrophobic at times, but I wouldn't list that as a major fear. I can't stand being in tight spaces or busy crowds, but I'm ok until I think about it.. And if I do I feel like I just want to fight my way out to the nearest exit and fresh air (though I don't).

Failure - I don't think many people are a fan of failing. In my case it's a personal thing. I can be a bit of an attempted perfectionist, and it is irritating when I can't quite get things right. Failing will knock the little confidence I have clean out of me. :hmmm: Though I fail in so many ways in a lot of aspects of life, so I should be used to it by now, but I guess the day I get used to it is the day I give up, which isn't going to happen.

A major one with me is the loss of memory, or a sense of who I am. I fear this a lot, and ironically I guess I have been losing a sense of what I am to an extent in recent years (though not memory loss, though it isn't as sharp as it used to be). But I fear losing memory. Some people think about the present, and give a damn about their pasts, but to me having memories is quite crucial to me. I like to reminisce and reflect on good things that have happened, places I have been, people I have met, things I have learned in life. To lose that would be absolutely devastating.

Loss of objects - for similar reasons as above. I hold a lot of value to the objects I own. Either I have loved the object dearly as a child, or it tells a story of a place I have been, a thing I like. To me (I'm weird btw) I almost think that every object has a soul (it doesn't I know, but just roll with it), and losing it will make it sad. Replacing it is just replacing it, and will not bring the original object back. When I was a child I was always devastated when a toy of mine broke. I'd rather have it super glued together and have it look manky than to have my Mom buy an identical one that was brand new. I just kept that view and never changed it (even though I know objects don't have feelings, I feel for them instead I guess). As you can tell, I'm a bit of a hoarder. :D

I fear having the Old Hag style nightmares (sleep paralysis). These are the really bad, as the mind is awake, yet you are sleeping, and your body is frozen as this hag, imp, monster, or even someone you know kneels on your chest and strangles you (and your neck can actually strain from this I've heard). I find it odd that so many people have this shared experience (I've read posts here and about 2-3 seperate people have all had the experience even here). Ever since I heard about it I've been a bit spooked really. I wouldn't say I shake in fear every night, as I'm not a sufferer of this phenomenon as far as I can tell so far, but I sure hope it never does happen to me.

Another thing, though minor... Turning my back on the dark. I'm fine with dark if I'm facing it (though I do get spooked if I'm outside in the dark and alone and see / hear something in front). It's mostly what is behind me and I cannot see without turning round in the dark, and even then probably not being able to see which I fear the most. Again, I don't shake with fear, but I find myself running upstairs as soon as I turn the downstairs light off, so to avoid having to think about what is behind me in the dark... When I'm feeling more insecure I'd turn round super fast just to reassure myself that there isn't a ninja/ wolf / demon behind me. There never is, luckily. :wacky:

There're quite a few fears I have.

The main one is heights. Whilst I'm fine in a plane in the sky, I used to get petrified when I was three floors up near my science classroom back in school. What made it worse was that people used to lean over the balcony and I was scared they'd fall. It still scares me today.

Another one would definitely have to be big spiders. I don't mind the little ones, but the way the big ones move ... God, there's something so terrifying about their massive legs creeping around!

I know you may think this as very odd, but I'm petrified of fireworks. There's something about them that really frightens me, maybe it's the enourmosly insanely big bang noise that creeps the daylight out of me... Or the exploding lights... Or maybe both. I just cannot stand fireworks and I don't think they are as beautiful as others do.
So, I am basically afraid of loud noises. Be it a scream, a honk of a car, even in concerts... etc. It just really frightens me for some reason. I preffer peaceful atmosphere (that includes calm music). Ironically though, I grew up in a city.

OMG, I am so glad someone else shares this fear. I'm not sure what it is about them. It could be the loud noise they make when set off or the fact that I ALWAYS think they're going to fall on me and catch me on fire. I don't know why, I just do. >_< I'm not a fan of loud noises either. They make me nervous. =/

And like a lot of others who've posted, I am terrified of spiders. They just creep me out, especially the ones with hairy legs. I don't like the way they move or the way they curl up and die when you kill them. I always panic when I see them. Luckily, I haven't seen very many in my apartment.

I also have a fear of deep water/drowning. While I love the ocean and looking at it, I try not to get too close. I can't go out on piers or docks and I absolutely do not swim. I nearly drowned in a lake as a child and I've been terrified of deep water ever since.

The main one is heights. Whilst I'm fine in a plane in the sky, I used to get petrified when I was three floors up near my science classroom back in school. What made it worse was that people used to lean over the balcony and I was scared they'd fall. It still scares me today.

Same here I can relate to that. I never have any problem going up stairs as long as I don't look down. But once I get up there, getting me down is hard. If I go anywhere near the steps, my body freezes completely. It is even worse if they come up from behind me and try to go down as well. One time I had to go down an long escalator, and that was the only time ANYONE has ever seen me that weak before.

Spiders tbh >_> they are so cool yet IO find the very frightening >_< The bite and are wicked. Chester from Linkin Park got bit by a black widdow on the bum and he couldn't sit down for 3 weeks, could you imagine!?

I also have a massive fear of being like my father. I wont go all emo reminiscing on you all so I'll leave it at this. He is a douche bag that doesnt deserve to live in peace and can burn in hell...'nuff said...

Thunder and lightning -- I wasn't much afraid of it until about three years ago. I had to pick up my sister from her bus stop, and since I had no car I had to go walking. It was raining, and about halfway there, I start hearing loud thunder. The flashes of lightning were really bright, and I was just whimpering and almost broke down in tears. I had an umbrella with a metal tip, and you know what they say about lightning being attracted to metal and the tallest objects. But I had no choice; it was raining so hard.

i used to be the same, it got to the point that i wouldnt go to school if it was forecast for a thunder it ruled most of my life, i eventually manned up and overcame this fear mainly due to my fun idea of going camping and it started to thunder BAD, i still get a bit nervous when there is a bad storm around and i am still terrified of it at night :busta:

My biggest fear is being stuck in a rut and not doing anything with my life. Everyone in my family has pretty much just been in a rut for as long as I can remember. Working a job and not making much money at all, having to deal with some jackass boss, and just basically going to work and going home and sleeping and not doing a dang thing ever.

My parents, uncles, aunts, and grandparents are all like this. I suppose they accept it now and do not really care as much as they would have say 20-30 years ago, but I do not want to end up like them being stuck in some routine everyday. I was like that for a while before I came back to the east coast, working 16 hour days having some jackass boss and just working and sleeping. So I got the hell out of there. Basically I just want to make the most of my life and just have a job that I love that gives me time to pursue hobbies that I have not done in a long time.

So I guess in a way I am a bit afraid of being normal, cause well normal is too dang boring

I'm scared of a few things. Some rational fears others irrational fears.

Heights: I've always been afraid of heights, always. I can't even climb a ladder without almost fainting or losing my breath. The whole room just starts spinning and I just feel like I'm gonna fall. The highest I can go on a ladder is about four feet. At five I start to feel scared.

Being alone at night in a dark room:
I don't know why, but I always get very afraid when I'm in a room by myself at night. It's not like I think there's a boogie-man in my closet or under my bed. I don't know, something about being alone in the dark scares me.

Worms: Yea, worms creep me out. They're so sticky...and slimy...and stretchy. They're just repulsing to look at or touch. YUCK!

Those are my fears.

Back