Your Favorite Mythical Creature

moogling

yaoi master ari
Veteran
Gil
What is your favorite mythical or legendary creature? You can find a detailed list of legendary creatures here.

I've got a few. I'll start of with the griffin.

The griffin (also spelled "grifon", "gripon", or, most commonly, "gryphon" and referred to in Latin as gryphes) is a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle. As the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle was the king of the birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. Griffins are normally known for guarding treasure. In antiquity it was a symbol of divine power and a guardian of the divine.

The reason I like the griffin is because it was thought to be a powerful and majestic creature. It also mixes two of my favorite creatures- the lion and the eagle. Two very powerful creatures as one.

Another mythical creature that stands out to me is the faun.

In Roman mythology, fauns are place-spirits (genii) of untamed woodland. Romans connected their fauns with the Greek satyrs, wild and orgiastic drunken followers of Bacchus (Greek Dionysus). However, fauns and satyrs were originally quite different creatures. Both have horns and both resemble goats below the waist, humans above; but originally fauns had goat-like hooves, satyrs human feet. The Romans also had a god named Faunus and goddess Fauna, who, like the fauns, were goat-people.

Reason behind it being that they're quite the unusual creature. An odd mix of a human and a goat stands out against other mythical creatures to me.

Last but not least, the chimera.

In Greek mythology, the Chimera (Greek Χίμαιρα (Chímaira); Latin Chimaera) was a monstrous fire-breathing creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of multiple animals: upon the body of a lioness with a tail that terminated in a snake's head, the head of a goat arose on her back at the center of her spine. The Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and the Lernaean Hydra. The term chimera has also come to mean hard to believe or difficult to understand.

I actually loved the design of these in Final Fantasy X. ^^

The mythology behind it is quite interesting. A sibling to Cerberus, the offspring of Typhon and Echidna. Again, an odd creature that I like.

My favourite is and always has been The Dragon.

Dragons are legendary creatures, typically with serpentine or otherwise reptilian traits, that feature in the myths of worldwide cultures.

The two most familiar interpretations of dragons are European dragons, derived from various European folk traditions, and the unrelated Oriental dragons, such as the Chinese dragon (Traditional: 龍; Simplified: 龙; Pinyin: lóng). The English word "dragon" derives from Greek δράκων (drákōn), "dragon, serpent of huge size, water-snake", which probably comes from the verb δρακεῖν (drakeîn) "to see clearly".
I've always been fascinated with these creatures since I first learned that I was born in the year of the Dragon.

I love their look and the fact that such a huge reptilian creature can lift itself off the ground so easily.

I intend to get at least two dragons tattooed on my body when I get the chance too. >.<

A few that I like are Siren Hydra, Salamander and Kraken

Reason:
Of course mythical creatures are all different but these stand out to me.

Siren- FVIII. Very interesting how their half human/bird with singing abilities :gasp: I don't really think they have a purpose but, Siren is still cool :monster:
Hydra- Hercules duhh. They're very powerful dragon things with multiple heads! That's wackk lol. I just consider the Hydra to be a very powerful creature. Not to mention theres a Hydra in CC
Salamander- Lizard that takes no damage to fire screams total badass :awesome: The salamander seems very mysterious and not to mention theres a Salamander in CC xD
Kraken- Neat sea creature. I found the Kraken to be interesting and different. It deff has power and can tear shit up. It's size also makes it an enemy due to that. Plus there's a Kraken in The Legend Of Dragoons :monster:

Hephaestus - Greek god of the forge, volcanos, metallurgy, technology and a bunch of other things. He was lame, and thus crippled and ugly. And yet his wife was Aphrodite. Although she did cheat on him with Ares. :hmmm:

Anyway, basically everything metal that the gods owned was made by Hephaestus. So he had a hand in just about everything.

My favourite is easily the phoenix:

The phoenix (Ancient Greek: Φοῖνιξ, phoínix, Arabic:العنقاء) is a mythical sacred firebird that originated in ancient Phoenician mythology (according to Sanchuniathon), Chinese mythology, Egyptian religion and later Greek mythology.

A phoenix is a mythical bird with a colorful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet (or purple, blue, and green according to some legends). It has a 500 to 1,000 year life-cycle, near the end of which it builds itself a nest of twigs that then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix or phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again. The new phoenix is destined to live as long as its old self.

In terms of physical description, the phoenix is a beautiful, majestic creature that soars the skies. I have always loved the idea of wings and beautiful birds as a small girl, so a phoenix has always been my favourite mythical creature.

A phoenix has a long lifespan, which can arguably be a good and a bad thing, and the most famous thing it can do is be born anew from the ashes. A phoenix is the symbol of the cycle of rebirth and it's always comforting to think that life does not end in death.

I love the sea creatures. I think it's because how mysterious they are that I'm so fascinated by them. I think that out of all mythological creatures, the ones that reside underwater are the most believed. And they are so creepy because of that too. Monsters like Leviathan and the Kraken (Leviathan being biblical in the demon-sense), who are two of my favourites, are so terrifying (well, to me at least) because you can never really be 100% sure they aren't lurking around down there.

And as a Scot, I'm a fervid believer in the Loch Ness Monster. I mean, I wouldn't put any money on someone finding it, but I would totally love to believe it's real. I don't think they've ever actually come to a real conclusion about it either. So I guess that'll be the first thing I'll ask God when I die.

Do some specific creatures from the video game universe count? If so, my favourite mythical that Bahamut creature, the king of Dragons imo. :monster:

In short, my answer is Dragon, I just think they look really cool, and yes, they are indeed huge. :gasp:

I love the mythology of all cultures so it is hard for me to decide a single mythical creature that I hold as my favourite.

I'll make a quick decision now, and this might be something I'd change if I was to read this tomorrow.

I'll say Ammut the Devourer from Egyptian mythology.

This has the head of a crocodile, the front legs and body of a lion, and hind legs and backside of a hippopotamus.

This is the creature that would sit by the scales as a dead person waiting to enter the afterlife would have their heart measured against a feather. If the heart was lighter than the feather then they were good and pure, and had lived a good life and could enter the afterlife. If the heart was heavier then the feather then they were not pure, and were doomed to have their hearts devoured by Ammut, having a second death, and doomed never to enter the afterlife and to be restless forever.

ammut.jpg

I've always thought that was pretty badass, and it is an interesting combination of creatures.

I'm very fond of the Hippocampus as well (half-horse and half-sea serpent / fish). I just like the appearance of it a lot, and it often found itself on impressive mosiacs and sculpture. I'm adding this here as it very nearly got my favourite spot, and probably is my favourite coming to think of it, but I thought of Ammut first. :hmmm:

I'll go with the troll as my favorite mythical creature.

Originally more or less the Nordic equivalents of giants, although often smaller in size, the different depictions have come to range from the fiendish giants to a devious, more human-like folk of the wilderness, living underground in hills, caves or mounds.

Trolls are dirty, can do what they like and are strong creatures. And according to a lot of stories, they have regenerative capabilities, how awesome is that?

The lizard people.

[Mod Edit]: Please be sure add more content to your post as this is considered spam. Thanks. =]

Phoenix.

I like the idea of them bursting into flames and then being reborn. And I've always liked the idea of fire birds. XD

I also like mermaids. I dunno if it is just because I loved the Little Mermaid XD or if I just like the idea of the half man half fish. I always thought mermen would be kind of hot if I forget that their lower half is fish. XD

And I like Pegasus's. Screw unicorn's I'll take a horse with wings to fly around on. I always thought they looked very pretty too.

My favourite is and always has been The Dragon.

I've always been fascinated with these creatures since I first learned that I was born in the year of the Dragon.

I love their look and the fact that such a huge reptilian creature can lift itself off the ground so easily.

I intend to get at least two dragons tattooed on my body when I get the chance too. >.<

Mine has definitely gotta be the dragon too! They're awesome creatures! I also love their appearance and I especially like black and silvery coloured ones. The oriental ones, like chinese and japanese ones are my favs.

This one is easy if you have care to look at my username or have talked to me for 5 minutes.

The Dragon is, in my eyes, the supreme mythical creature. Their power is immense, their intelligence just as large, and they are the epitome of lithe and deadly beauty.

Of course, it depends on which kind of dragon you personally envision, but I tend to think of the scaled, four-legged, type that has no whiskers or fins of any kind with a normal (not barbed) tail, and IS NOT some stupid animal like Rowling would have you believe.

When it comes to mythological creatures, the Dragon is simply one of the most awe-inspiring and beautiful. Theirs is a form to be envied, and I say this because, when you really step back and look at it, what weakness does a dragon truly have? Every single thing humanity has thought of as desirable -- elegance and power, intelligence and aesthetic beauty, wealth and wings. All of these things are considered among the most desired and all of them are put into one form that epitomizes all of them.

Second to dragons, there would come the phoenix. It has more mystery than a dragon, but the idea of rebirth and power (as seen in the flames) is another appealing aspect of the creature.

Next would have to be the Titans (I don't count Greek gods and goddesses as creatures, or else it'd be them). These include Chronos and Rhea, Atlas and Hyperion, and several others, including Themis (justice). There's also the 'unnamed' titans -- you don't hear about them very much because they were the 'hideous' children of Gaia and Uranus (Earth and Sky, respectively). As the legends go, Uranus tossed these hideous titans into Tartarus in favor of the beautiful titans (who include Chronos and Rhea).

These hideous titans are only seen as monsters, like the Kraken, Cyclops, and Echidna (who spawned several other monsters like Scylla and Cerberus). There's also another kind called the Hecatonchires, which are giants with one-hundred pairs of arms and legs and one-hundred heads.

These things are just too fascinating and cool to not be a favorite. :3

This one is easy if you have care to look at my username or have talked to me for 5 minutes.

The Dragon is, in my eyes, the supreme mythical creature. Their power is immense, their intelligence just as large, and they are the epitome of lithe and deadly beauty.

Of course, it depends on which kind of dragon you personally envision, but I tend to think of the scaled, four-legged, type that has no whiskers or fins of any kind with a normal (not barbed) tail, and IS NOT some stupid animal like Rowling would have you believe.

When it comes to mythological creatures, the Dragon is simply one of the most awe-inspiring and beautiful. Theirs is a form to be envied, and I say this because, when you really step back and look at it, what weakness does a dragon truly have? Every single thing humanity has thought of as desirable -- elegance and power, intelligence and aesthetic beauty, wealth and wings. All of these things are considered among the most desired and all of them are put into one form that epitomizes all of them.

Second to dragons, there would come the phoenix. It has more mystery than a dragon, but the idea of rebirth and power (as seen in the flames) is another appealing aspect of the creature.

Next would have to be the Titans (I don't count Greek gods and goddesses as creatures, or else it'd be them). These include Chronos and Rhea, Atlas and Hyperion, and several others, including Themis (justice). There's also the 'unnamed' titans -- you don't hear about them very much because they were the 'hideous' children of Gaia and Uranus (Earth and Sky, respectively). As the legends go, Uranus tossed these hideous titans into Tartarus in favor of the beautiful titans (who include Chronos and Rhea).

These hideous titans are only seen as monsters, like the Kraken, Cyclops, and Echidna (who spawned several other monsters like Scylla and Cerberus). There's also another kind called the Hecatonchires, which are giants with one-hundred pairs of arms and legs and one-hundred heads.

These things are just too fascinating and cool to not be a favorite. :3

Wow, I learned a lot from that post. Actually, from this entire thread!

I like dragons as well, they are definitely a classic, and they do seem to have a sense of royalty among beasts about them.

I also agree with everyone who mentioned the Phoenix, that as well is one elegant creature.
I wish I knew more about these beasts now..

Hm. Mythical creatures..

The most prominent of my favorites is definitely the Dragon. In most of the mythologies involving these wise creatures, they have a tendency to be extremely powerful, and intelligent as well. If they were portrayed as an antagonist, then they were usually very difficult to kill, or have a sort of reputation in the story.

Generally, I just like them for their appearances. It just looks cool to me, and that's really all that matters.

A few that I like are Siren Hydra, Salamander and Kraken

Reason:
Of course mythical creatures are all different but these stand out to me.

Siren- FVIII. Very interesting how their half human/bird with singing abilities :gasp: I don't really think they have a purpose but, Siren is still cool :monster:

yes siren does they had the most perfect voice in the myth they would live on very small islands and sing with out stoping and any boat tht came nearr would hear them and no madder how much will power you had you would be full of lust and force to go to them with out even thinking and will always crash you ships on the rock around the island and those who survive would be eating by the siren. their other myth that say they control males minds with their voice and all males who herd it was their slaves until they died

My favourite is easily the phoenix:

In terms of physical description, the phoenix is a beautiful, majestic creature that soars the skies. I have always loved the idea of wings and beautiful birds as a small girl, so a phoenix has always been my favourite mythical creature.

A phoenix has a long lifespan, which can arguably be a good and a bad thing, and the most famous thing it can do is be born anew from the ashes. A phoenix is the symbol of the cycle of rebirth and it's always comforting to think that life does not end in death.

i love the phoenix to but for a different reason then you. the phoenix beauty cannot be match this is a true but with beauty when something is flaw that is when it truely beautiful.
The phoenix is a one of a kind it have no other like it it never dies since it reborn from it ash. Their for it always alone it cannever be truly love and it can never truly love another since their only one phoenix. It most live forever alone the most sad and lonliness creature every that is what makes it truly beautiful.

another creature i adore is the angel it serves and loves more then any thing else but it is never loved back angl are beutiful however when they dieing is when they truly become perfect. really look up any pic of a angel dieing or imagen it and you see.

elves their light their free creatures not bound by rules i would love to be one life would be so much better i would be able to explore the world and do what i wont to when i wont to.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love alot of mythical creatures but mostly they make pics of them that i dont like but ill show u some of the pics i really like and where the creatures showen off nicely on there beatifull sides.

Like these of the Phoenix.
this shows the beautiful sides of the Phoenix.

And dragons always showen off as mighty beast they kill everyone and u know what i mean always spitting fire lol..

thats why i love the Movie Eragon the dragon Called Saphira i love this dragons caracter. heres a pic off Saphira.

And the Gryphon also a really nice myth.

i also like the Unicorn.
i love how they look 1 horn white they just look so awsome.

Another one the Elf/Fairy.
i know u think these a fairytales but there are some myths about them.
i love them becuz u have diff chars in them warriors healers archers.

Fairy:

Elf:

These are the once i like.
but u have much more like Minotaurus, [forget the name of the woman with snakes on her head watch her in the eyes and u turn into stone], Cyclops, Cocatrice, and Cerberus, Pegasus, Mermaid's, and another one Harpy's.

Harpy also cool.
Female's with wings.

Anyway i only like the pics where the myths are showen at a nice way.

LemonyMog said:
Wow, I learned a lot from that post. Actually, from this entire thread!

Yay! My posts are educational! I think I'll make that my next usertitle! :P

Quarashi said:
[forget the name of the woman with snakes on her head watch her in the eyes and u turn into stone]

There is only one woman that does that and her name is Medusa! She is a Gorgon and has three sisters.

there are many pictures of her, but this one has to be my favorite.

medu.jpg

The painting is by Glen Vause. I lurve it.

As for the Phoenix, I particularly like this one:

17704.jpg

Thats riight her name was Medusa.

i forgot her name does remind me of hercules x]

Mmm. Medusa's a good one too. I remember being terrified of her in the original Clash of the Titans. I hope she makes an appearance in the remake.
I wonder why people turn into stone when looking at her. Usually it's the hot girls that make you hard.. How ironic of her.

Back