Your Favorite Mythical Creature

I always liked the Chimera, she was always interesting to me I even wrote a paper on her for School once -- the whole mixture of different animals and well it awesome appearance in the Manga Bleach only encouraged my like of it. Plus I am a big fan of Homers work.

From the Greek meaning "she-goat" the Chimera is a fire-breathing creature that has the body of a goat, the head of a lion and the tail of a serpent. Some sources have represented the Chimera with three heads (the lion's head as the main, then the goat's head sprouted from its back, and the serpent's or Dragon’s head on its tail), but the popular myth tells of the single, fire-vomiting head. The very unlikely aspect of the chimera has gradually turned its name into a synonym of a vain dream.

"The Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and the Lernaean Hydra."

also another interesting fact that amazed me. Altogether anything Greek or Roman was always interesting to me.

Thank you so much, Quarashi for helping me remember a few, so that I can remember them all.

I'm torn between vampires, fairies, and possibly a few others. I'll just focus on the two I've directly mentioned for now.

In the old... OLD days, vampires we damn strong. Strong as in, they had various magical powers and could really mess your ass up. They weren't these 1950s Dracula wimpies. They were able to conduct perfect psychological warfare and trap you any where they wanted. And, oddly enough, they rarely drank blood. Most of the blood stuff comes from the past hundred years or so.

Fairies: In the old, OLD days, fairies were tricksters. Well, quite a few of them were. They manipulated people into doing whatever they or their respective gods wanted the puny humans to do. Usually they tricked humans through sexual persuasion (obviously, and both sexes by the way), and of course, maintained a perfect innocent appearance. The idea of them being small enough to fit in your hand is also a relatively modern modification to the myth.

Cerberus - from greek mythology who guarded the gates of hades his job was to stop souls that had crossed the river styix from going back to the land of the living.

He is the child of Echidna and Typhon.

The three heads symbolise the past, presant and future. Or birth, youth and old age there is debate to which is accuarte.

A unicorn (from Latin unus 'one' and cornu 'horn') is a mythological creature. Though the modern popular image of the unicorn is sometimes that of a horse differing only in the horn on its forehead, the traditional unicorn also has a billy-goat beard, a lion's tail, and cloven hooves—these distinguish it from a horse. Marianna Mayer has observed (The Unicorn and the Lake), "The unicorn is the only fabulous beast that does not seem to have been conceived out of human fears. In even the earliest references he is fierce yet good, selfless yet solitary, but always mysteriously beautiful. He could be captured only by unfair means, and his single horn was said to neutralize poison."

One traditional method of hunting unicorns involved entrapment by a virgin.
In one of his notebooks Leonardo da Vinci wrote:
The unicorn, through its intemperance and not knowing how to control itself, for the love it bears to fair maidens forgets its ferocity and wildness; and laying aside all fear it will go up to a seated damsel and go to sleep in her lap, and thus the hunters take it.

I adore unicorns. They have the ability to heal and cure others fears and aliments. Just such beautiful and astounding creatures, love them so much. There is something so pure and innocent about a unicorn. I myself have a pack of unicorn oracle cards as I can connect more with unicorns and believe creatures like this can assist you in your hour of need.

Also vampires. And no Im not jumping on the Twilight bandwagon, Im already on it lolz. Ive been interested in vamps since I was a child, I use to think I was either a vampire or werewolf when I was younger cause I had sharpe cannine teeth!! Of course they dont sparkle in the sun, they would burn. Unless they were the special sort born from a human mother and vamp father, allowing them to walk amongst us. They are dark, mysterious, dangerous and sexy. All the more exciting and forbidding!

Phoenix- The bird of fire. Every time it dies, it burns up and it is reborn from it's ashes.
Cerberus- Guardian of the gates of the underworld. Hades' pet

A woman who isn't a pain in the ass :licky:

I not know if they count, but I am going to list them anyways

I always thought the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse were very cool, the epitome and personification of annihilation. I don't have any particularly eloquent or elaborate reasons beyond that for liking them. Though their modern interpretation in 'Good Omens' is amazing

:hmmm: My favs are probably Griffins and Dragons, I like griffins because they manage to be cute yet powerful and majestic at the same time and dragons are quite badass all round.

My favourite is and always has been The Dragon.

I've always been fascinated with these creatures since I first learned that I was born in the year of the Dragon.

I love their look and the fact that such a huge reptilian creature can lift itself off the ground so easily.
Ditto. Although I tend to prefer the Eastern dragons over their western counterparts. I have Dragonball to thank for that.

Ladies and gentlemen, we're going to have to travel to Malaysia for this one. Yes, I'm talking about the Penanggalan. Not only is it the grand fear of spelling bee contestants everyone, but it's also one of the most unique creatures out there. What do I mean by that? Let me explain.

A Penanggalan is a human in the day time, but at night, their need for human blood surfaces. Yes, they're a sort of vampire, but they're not technically undead since they're living people. What makes them special? A Penanggalan will detach its head from its body... with its organs and viscera still attached to it... and leaking. If that's not metal as Hell, I don't know what is.

It also smells like vinegar. I'm not quite sure how it flies through the air. Maybe its intestines twirls around like a propeller or something.

Technically it's not my favorite mythical creature, but it's one I find interesting and one that was unique. So there you go, the Penanggalan, a flying vampire head with squirting organs dangling from it. I'm sure there will be a movie on Syfy about one by 2012. At least I hope so...

I love how you people expect me to single out one favorite creature from the dozens I love from all the mythology I study and research for my writing... *headdesk*

Okay, so my favorite is Cthulhu. Insanity-causing, mind-warping, Elder God-y, Tentacly goodness. They just don't make villains like him anymore.

To a lesser extent, Thor, Athena and Anubis, probably three of the most harcore, badass deities to ever be worshiped by humanity.

...also, the White Squirrel of Obscura, from my novel. Pint-sized squirrels that can wipe out a squad of soldiers? What's not to love?

Errrrmmm... Does a Dulluhan and a Unicorn count? Because those are the only two that pique my interest at the current moment.

Cerberus. I don't know why, I just always have. From Harry Potter to Final Fantasy, just always have found cerberus a cool creature.

Ive always liked Fairys, I dont know what it is about them but they always look really cute, and when I was a kid I always had dreams of being in a land surrounded by tons of them and I can just have one fly into the palm of my hand and I could talk to it. Also in games anything with a fairy as a summon,guide,npc I always use. Like KH tinker bell is my most used, castlevania my favorite innoncent devil is a pixie,etc. I also like how fairys always provide the special healing power which I never get tired of. Fairys are always something that I wish was real :I

I would have to say the ever popular Dragon, in all my books and anime and movies a Dragon is usually depicted as a n old wise creature that was there from the begining they watched and helped shape the worlds they are in and are usually the origin of where magic comes from. They are a symbol of strength, ferocity, confidence, wisdom and knowledge.

Mine is definitely the dragon. Such a big monster that can fly so easily is pretty damn awesome IMO. Some also have the ability to use fire, which is also awesome. The best part is just that they're so damn huge, and can easily fly and even fly with people on them.

Morinth my favourite mythical creatures are the following:

border between england and ireland
oil on the road
big fat arse, sweaty bit

Here is my favorite mythical beast of all time.

Chimera- The reason why I like this mythical beast is because of how mysterious it looks. It consist of four animal parts which are, a head of a lion, a head of a goat, a head of an eagle and a snake as his tail. It's wings is also part of the eagle.

Back