Online Dating

DeadFantasy

Mysterious Warrior
Veteran
Gil
Well for starters, i'd like to say that i've searched for this specific topic on the forums and have yet to find anything.... but, if you think it belongs somewhere else and/or a similar topic i'm sorry in advance xD don't want to make your jobs harder xD. Wasn't sure if it should be here or Costa Del Sol/Somewhere else XD
I've seen threads/topics over dating but never have I seen a thread over online dating.

Here's my question to all of you:
1) Have you ever dated online
2) Do you date online why/why not?
3)What are your general feelings over this topic?
These are just starter up questions just in case your stuck or something these questions can guide you. But, feel free to add more ^^​
To be fair, i'll answer them
1) Have you ever dated online? Nope. Not my thing. I've liked someone online (different story different time=]) but never been in a relationship with someone online.
2) Do you date online why/why not? Nope. Like I said, not for me. Reason being is that I much rather have someone close that I can hold onto if somethings wrong. It just seems (from what ive seen) that relationships offline are stronger then those online.
3) What are your general feelings over this topic? I will never date online because I feel that dating online is dangerous. You never know who the person really is there is a lot more trust issues due to distance/etc and it's more likely for someone to cheat if their dating online rather then off. I heard stories where 14 year old girls would meet these guys they found online and something bad happened. >.< I'm not saying that's the case everytime but, I just would rather not go there and take the chance. I mean, if you date online that's your thing so do what you do i'm just saying I would personally never do it.
If I think of more things to add i'll do so at a later date however, i'm egear to see what you guys have to say ^^
--------------------------
Discuss​

Ok well here goes nothing.

[1] Have you ever dated online?
Oh boy have I...though I was younger when I did so it was still one of the largest mistakes in my life. A young fool I guess you could say.

[2] Do you date online why/why not?
No. When I was younger yeah sure I did, I thought it was cool and all that jazz, but when I got older I realized of the dangers of online dating and stopped it completely. So No, I don't date online and never will.

[3] What are your general feelings over this topic?
Online dating is a very dangerous thing, you never know who your talking to or if that person is who they say they really are. Note people, just because they have pictures doesn't always mean it's them, they could have stolen those pictures. I've had a friend have that happen to her. Of cours everyone has their own opinion, this is just mine. Having done it in the past, and nearly gotten myself into trouble several times, it's not cool.

1) Have you ever dated online?
Nope.

I suppose the reason I don't date online is because I'm just not interested. I'm asexual, and I also have issues with "letting people in" I suppose you could say. I won't go into that - I'd probably end up irritating a few people with my general attitude towards humanity - but, sufficed to say, its not the sort of thing I am going to partake in or even consider, even if I meet what you might call my "perfect match".

To be honest, I think online dating may be a better way of getting to know someone than offline dating. The advantage of being online is that you get to think about what you're going to say before you say it, meaning you'll say things that are a lot more reflective of who you really are, allowing people to get to know you better, and allowing you to get to know other people in turn. Its easier to get to know people online, because the pressure isn't quite so intense - scrutiny under eye contact and the need to come up with something to say immediately aren't present like they are offline. Humiliation can be easily avoided by just avoiding speaking to the person in question.

In my experience, online friendships are a lot more satisfying than offline friendships, and the line between a friendship and relationship is (or should be) just a question of the level of intimacy involved.

If I ever did date - although I have no real interest in doing that either - I would probably do so online. Romantic relationships have the potential to be far more intense and honest online than they do offline, in my opinion. If physical intimacy is important to you, however, online dating probably isn't the best method to obtain your goal - in fact, its absolutely useless. Whatever works for you, I suppose.

1) No I have not dated online. It's really not my thing and I don't think I'd have the patience to sit there and try to kindle a romance with someone. =/ No offense to anyone who's into online relationships, but for me it's something I wouldn't be able to take seriously even if I tried. Sure back then when I was a teenager, I went on chatrooms and flirted with a few guy friends but it was never anything serious.

Although, now that I remember...I do have a story when I met a guy through my friend whom she chatted with online...so I guess this somewhat applies to the whole 'dating online' scenario? She introduced me to him one day...I forgot how we started talking on the phone...:hmmm: ... but yeah, he and I talked on the phone (although we haven't met yet) for a few weeks and then a little bit online when I got the chance. We became a 'couple' and then met up one day when I happened to be around L.A one week. It was rather awkward and yet somewhat comfortable too. We met again pretty soon after that at a laundry mat (of all places) but my uncle saw us holding hands and I got in trouble. :ryan: And so did he, lol. Anyway, long story short, the relationship didn't work out. He lived an hour away from me and we both had no way of seeing each other often since he didn't drive yet. I was 15 and he was 18 at the time. I broke it up with him on the phone - he was pretty bummed out about it and cried since I think he really did genuinely like me, and that was the last I heard of him. For some reason, the loss didn't affect me in any way. I mean I liked him, but not enough to really commit to a relationship at the time, especially if it was going to be long-distance. Plus I was only 15.

2) No, I'm married now.

3) I know that some people do find love online and some online relationships are actually more successful than real-life ones. Sure we've heard some crazy and scary stories about online dating, but you just have to be smart about it. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of common sense and practicality on your shoulders. To me, I guess the way I see it is, dating online and getting to know that person would be very similar (if not the same) to meeting friends online and getting to know that person. For instance, there are quite a few people I trust on this site and are good friends with a few of them. Even though I have not heard some of their voices or seen some pictures (this only apply to a very select few), I just know they are not some dangerous person online. Granted, some we do question about but that's normal. I think for those who really know me very well, they can guarantee I'm not some crazy 69-year-old male pervert acting like a 23-year-old female member.

So although I don't really dig the whole online dating business, I do understand it and how it works.

I guess I'll add some counterpoint to this topic.

1) I guess my answer would be yes, considering I met my current girlfriend on the internet. This is the only girlfriend I've met on the internet though.

2) Considering this isn't something I do chronically, I'll say no. My current girlfriend was met online, yes, but in general its something I'm not big on the idea of. I felt some kind of connection with her, and I made the exceeption, but in general I don't promote online dating. I doubt I would do it again though if this relationship doesn't work out.

3) As I mentioned in the previous question, I don't really promote online dating. I feel like it's much easier to date someone you know in person for the simple reason that you can express yourself more in person. If an important topic needs to be discussed, it's better to do this in person than online or over the phone. It's very difficult to find a legitimate canidate to spend your life with, without the physical connection. If real feelings are developed with this person, then not spending time with them is something that will only hurt you in the long run.

But with that said, I will counterpoint my own thoughts. Meeting someone online is not something that never stands a chance to work. I actually know someone from another forum who met the one for him through the internet. Not to sound too cheesy, but love knows no bounds. So it's not impossible to find a compatible person, but if you are serious about it, it is something that comes with a major drawback. It really is a decision that both parties have to agree on in order to make it work for the long run.

I also agree that for you young ladies out there, that it is a very dangerous idea to get involved with online dating. There are a lot of sick people out there who will take advantage of this. If you ever consider online dating, I would say that you'd have to be at LEAST 18 years old and that you know as much as possible about an interest before meeting them. Probably talking on the phone would be the best start, as the interpersonal communication is a little closer to lifelike than text. You can also catch stronger vibes in this manner. But if you ever consider online dating, be VERY careful.

I don't really see much of a problem with it to be truthful. Of course there's the problem that you don't know who it is at first, but that's a risk that's worth taking. An online relationship can benefit from that, since you can get to know one another first before you see each other, and all it takes is a phone call to at least get an idea if they're telling the truth about their age which is a start.

Myself, I've done it twice. The first one I regret, because it was short and we were really good friends beforehand.
The second time I don't though, because it was probably the best relationship I've been in. A few people will know that we met here, and we got on really well and we met up a few times, but in the end it didn't work out. The biggest stress and annoyance with it is that usually there's distance involved, which is never easy to cope with.

1) Have you ever dated online?
No.
No, and I probably never will. Ij my opinion dating is something that happens face to face, not through some screen. Of course you can socialize with people online and get to know them better, but for the real 'spark' there should definetely be a real life meeting.
I don't really mind people trying to find love online, as long as they remember that your online life can never replace your real life, away from your computer and phone. The Internet makes it easier for people to meet, but also easier to sit anonymously behind your screen to chat with other people you've never seen in your life. All good, but as soon as you get to know eachother (and know you aren't hooking up with some pervert of course) get out and do things in real life!

Those professional dating sites are a good thing, though. I've seen how several people around me finally have found a good soulmate after all those years, thanks to those websites.

1: Have you ever dated online?
No.

2: Do you date online why/why not?
No. I have heard of the dangers involved with online dating and heard some really bad stories in the news, and I really don't want to be involved in that.

3: What are your general feelings over this topic?
If people want to try to find love online, then they need to remember that anyone can hide behind a computer screen and throw some bs out there to get into your head. When you meet that person in real life, then it is different because you know that person and are not unsure about them.

Okay, Well I would like to answer this, I must know is this a literal question? or is this circumstantial... Meaning Did I meet this person online? or are we "just" dating online with no physical perks.

So I'll answer twice for both answers..

1) Have I ever dated someone I "met" online.

Yes, I have. Though one was hazardous for my health because in it for all the wrong reasons, resorting in lies and misfortunes on both sides. The other was a great meet. Neither were through match websites, they were from College forums and such from when I was around 18. Mainly my local Uni.

Reasons: A) Well not many people have to have reasons but I'd like to give them, but not for justification purposes. It's just sometimes people around where I live just aren't that real to me. They go about acting as if going to the bars on a every night basis is the rest of my life. Sleeping with different people never really appealed to me, on a month/weekly/daily basis.. I mean sure there might be an appeal for the people who are always sparatic and no strings attached, but meh, I've always been an earthbound borring S.O.B. Meaning I'd rather fancy one girl.. for her everything.. than focus on a group of women for a few things. Looks only go so far for me, and might I add.. I'm very paranoid of STDs. So online.. there was only requirement .. be honest.. be truthful, talk by phone at least once.. have a date at least once to see if this person was normal and not putting on an act. No drama.. at first or I turn away and never look back. No dating networks also.. I shun those because they are the same thing as college to me without the inhibitions hindering them.

B) Yes to dating someone after meeting them in real life online.. but it was borring. If I wanted a relationship, I want the physical side of things to. I might be narrow minded about this too, but long distance can only last for so long. If you have a definite chance of getting together.. than great! go for it! but if not, I'd say just be good friends.

2) Nope and Nope. Easy enough reason, I'm not looking.. only on for friends and such online. Looking to expand my horizon on and and offline.

3) Well the topic of online is this is actually not so abnormal anymore. I don't exactly see the difference between dating someone online and off, unless of course ya'll have never met. I mean there are plenty of times where you can say what you want online and in person, you are so shy to the person that it takes a while to crack your mental exterior. So chatting someone up online may be the best way to deal with those moments of social anxiety issues. From my experience I will never frown on it, but I've dated quite a few folks offline where trust me.. I'd rather had never messed with it in the first place. One thing though I have never done is actively searched for someone online.. to me.. that's just desperate =(. Love always follows me like a blind man.

B) So for the folks who do date online, just realize one thing.. don't get involved unless you know for sure that ya'll are just in it for the right reasons. Meaning if you know there is no chance in hell of ever meeting.. just have fun.. don't mess with eachothers heads. Ya'll are probably to young to even be getting that emotionally involved.. and yes I don't recommend people rushing relationships, it's an appetite to destruction. So YES! to both.

- Though.. I want to say one last thing in regards to the original poster. I don't believe in dating networks to be perfectly honest, but that's just because it's not my thing. To me.. it's more of a solicitation for one night stands and sex. I've never, but do please correct me, never seen these relationships from Match.com or E-harmony span out past 2 months. I could see where the right intentions would be for these sites, but there aren't enough security measures to know the bad intentions behind folks for being on them. Girl and guy so no sexism.. some people are nymphs others are looking for a person to leech money. Some are good folks though, but I feel bad though for the guys and girls that want to get involved that have bad intentions.

Last edited:
My best friend has an online girlfrind and I think its stupid. I mean we can't be sure that it is a real person but my friend allways says that she is real just because they did certain things I prefer not to mention here trough the webcams. Even if theres a normal girl on the other side, online relationships can't function properly. It is more easy to cheat on the other one and there isn't any phisical intimity, which can be very stressfull :S

Though.. I want to say one last thing in regards to the original poster. I don't believe in dating networks to be perfectly honest, but that's just because it's not my thing. To me.. it's more of a solicitation for one night stands and sex. I've never, but do please correct me, never seen these relationships from Match.com or E-harmony span out past 2 months. I could see where the right intentions would be for these sites, but there aren't enough security measures to know the bad intentions behind folks for being on them. Girl and guy so no sexism.. some people are nymphs others are looking for a person to leech money. Some are good folks though, but I feel bad though for the guys and girls that want to get involved that have bad intentions.

I met my fiancée through True.com, so they do have some value.

There should be a differentiation here between dating online and online dating. If the relationship only exists through the computer and/or phone, and there's significant physical distance between the two people, I think that's a difficult relationship to maintain, for all the reasons the above posters have put forth. Not completely impossible, but difficult. But if the relationship starts online and then develops into a "real" relationship, I say more power to them. It's difficult enough to find somebody you're willing to spend 5 minutes with, let alone a few months.

In regards to the "dangers of online dating," is it really all that more dangerous than "real" dating? People can pretend they are something that they're not nearly as easily in real life as they can online. Obviously, the internet brings certain other dangers into play, but it also removes some of the danger from "real" dating if and when it gets to that point. Bottom line is, regardless of how you date, you should be cautious early on.

My best friend has an online girlfrind and I think its stupid. I mean we can't be sure that it is a real person but my friend allways says that she is real just because they did certain things I prefer not to mention here trough the webcams. Even if theres a normal girl on the other side, online relationships can't function properly. It is more easy to cheat on the other one and there isn't any phisical intimity, which can be very stressfull :S

I don't really see all that much logic in your post though. I mean the cheating part is there for both sides really, and yes more apt to happen in online relationships, yet that's up to the people who are dating. I mean it is very situational. People are always entitled to be unfaithful with online or off online dating.. but I don't see why people have to be narrow minded about it. Now as far as your friends and webcams, that's what I mean by bad intentions.. so everything to me is very circumstantial that you posted.

Online relationships function just fine though, it's just what the users want out of it. Just think it as blind dating.. except without the meeting in real life, I consider blind dating.. terrible.. but hey some people like it.

EDIT TO CC:

In regards to the "dangers of online dating," is it really all that more dangerous than "real" dating? People can pretend they are something that they're not nearly as easily in real life as they can online.

Hmmmm that's very hard to put to paper though. I mean yes people are fake in person, but they are easier to see through than folks online. So in a since you could be a 15 year old girl talking to a 28 year old man who claims to be 18.

I mean there are folks just looking to get their jollies off online all the time.. hince what Yahoo messenger/AOL chat and whatever else has turned into. I have never used these sites since I was 17 because of the craziness of it all. I mean the prevalent thing is.. online predators.

That's the most dangerous thing, but if all that is aside.. then I think we are good about the difference between on and offline dating

Last edited:

People can cheat just as easy in IRL relationships as well

I'm not gunna bother answering the questions as they are laid out, I'l just answer in my usual waffling way

I think an online relationship can work out, as long as you're not actually going into it looking for a relationship, because as people have said, you don't know who is on the other side of the monitor. But if you've got to know people over time, are 100% sure they are who they say they are then there's no issue

Myself, I've done it twice. The first one I regret, because it was short and we were really good friends beforehand.
The second time I don't though, because it was probably the best relationship I've been in. A few people will know that we met here, and we got on really well and we met up a few times, but in the end it didn't work out. The biggest stress and annoyance with it is that usually there's distance involved, which is never easy to cope with.

Like with Pooleys second example there, they knew each other, infact afew of us round these parts know each other pretty well, so from that p.o.v I see no problem with striking up an online relationship, as long as it's workable. Distance is a bugger. So I can't fathom relationships that are untravellable, but if people are willing to put the effort in, then good for them ,I don't see why it can't work. Just 'cause it won't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for other people.

I was gunna say summat else but I forgot :hmmm:

Oh yeah, it's the young 'uns that go in feet first I don't agree with, that meet someone really quickly, start an online thing and have no idea who they are talking to other than what they have been told. The internet can be a dangerous place, but I'm ugly enough and old enough not to be sucked in by some young hunks (read 60 year old German man) flattery

I think these things work best when it happens naturally, just like when you meet someone IRL. I don't think it's any less meaningful, there's just a few more hurdles to over come

I think alot more people are actually meeting on dating sites than they do any other way now as well xD, it's just all about not going into it feet first and getting to know who you are talking to. There's dangers from both sides I guess, you could meet someone on a night out with your mates, s/he could ask you out on a date, you could be like, sure, why not, then get murdered to death and wake up dead by the side of the motorway

Last edited:
1) Have you ever dated online? well technically I have, I thought what the hell one time and gave it a whirl, it was an interesting experience.

2) Do you date online why/why not? Well I'm quite open minded about a lot of things so it's not something I'd be so quick to rule out, sometimes I find it a lot easier to be more open and honest with people that I know well on the internet, as I can often feel like im in a really ackward bind, suprisingly despite being a gobby git on the internet, I'm actually rather reserved and quiet in RL when it comes to talking about feelings, I guess it helps break the shyness barrier to some degree.

3) What are your general feelings over this topic? In some regards I'm all for it, in other respects I find that the anonaminaty of the internet could lead to potential dangerous circumstances, but if you do your homework on the person, get to know them pretty much inside out and have proper conversations with them (via webcam or voicechat) you can get a good indicator of what that person is going to be like.

Some of my friends are pretty much against it, especially the long distance relationship aspect that could be a barrier, as experience has taught me, the only barriers in a relationship are the ones you create for yourself, distance has no bearing if you care enough about the person to want to make it work, and neither should the fact you spend most of your time talking to them on the internet be an offput either, as I mentioned, its far easier for some people to open up about things over the internet than it is to speak about things face to face.

Have you ever dated online?

I think I mucked around with someone online I met on a forum once way back when I was 16. Nothing naughty though. I was good back when I was still in school.

It wasn't a serious relationship or a relationship at all for that matter in my opinion now, but technically it happened and was something that lasted for a while.

Do you date online why/why not?

No because I have a partner and even if I was single I wouldn't go online looking for someone to start a relationship with.

I want someone to hug and kiss. Someone I'd get to spend the day with and actually getting to go out to dinner.

It'd be sad if I couldn't see my boyfriend because they lived on the opposite side of the world and I was stuck in my stuffy old room waiting for them to get online. It'd be awkward when you finally meet too I'd think. >.<

What are your general feelings over this topic?

Sure there are online relationships that work out.

But for those who are still young, i.e: 14 - 17. It's not something you should cling to. At those ages you shouldn't even really be thinking about that sort of thing and it's just distracting you from the important things in your life at that time, like school etc.

You don't know who you could be talking to and could get pressured into doing things from the other person in order to 'strengthen the relationship'. Like going on the webcam and doing naughty things. Chances are they're some old creepy guy/girl trying to get their kicks.

I think it's safer and a lot more comforting getting to see and hang out with someone you want to date in real life.

Here's my question to all of you:
1) Have you ever dated online

No. In fact it sucks to say it, but I've never really dated at all, and I'm confused with what saying you are dating means (is it the same as saying "I'm going out with that person" / are together? I'll assume it is).

I've liked people online before, but I haven't felt the same strength as people I have felt really strongly for in real life. This might just be because of proximity / seeing them in general though.

I don't because I haven't, and not necessarily because I'm against it. If I did happen to get together with someone on the internet I would very much like to meet this person in real life as soon as is possible (obviously if the person is happy with it and would like me more than as a type-buddy), and not have it completely over msn and facebook etc.

I'm ok with it, but like I said I'd really want to meet the person in real life. I'd hate to feel trapped behind my computer screen.. *pauses and reflects on own life :hmmm:*... Ok, I take that back, but I'd hate it if our only way to express our love / connect in general is on the internet, as you can't go to places and experience life with people in that way. You can discuss your life, and swap stories, but you can't share experiences. Well... You can share online experiences I guess, but still...

When long distance is concerned this can be dangerous.. Not so much a trust thing here (let's just assume everyone you meet is truthful and not a mass-murdering rapist pretending to be an 18 year old girl), but because if you become serious with the other person then when it comes to meeting up it will require a huge amount of effort and money, and a lot of sacrifices in order to travel half the world away to meet one another. I'm not saying that shouldn't be done, just that it's a bit of a bummer.

As for dating websites and such, some good can come out of them in some cases. My uncle has been married to his wife for quite a few years now (and was going out with her for many years before this) and they seem to be doing fine, and he had met her on a lonelyhearts/matchmaker type website and they got together through that.

So
it depends on the people really. Some people are adults about it and go through those sites because they are lonely and looking for a long-term relationship because they are lacking love and it will be a shame for them to miss out on it in life (if I get to 30, or even 25, and I still haven't got a girlfriend I can't be blamed for trying one of these myself, though it would go against my "I don't do hunting, I wait for it to fall into place" attitude I've got), though some people might just be wanting some fun, but I'm not sure. I've not heard the negative stories about these sites. In fact the only story I really recall about them is that of my uncle. I haven't read into them at all, but my uncle is a success story for this.

Last edited:
Relationships in any form are dependent on dedication and perseverance through low points and high points. Dating online is just getting to know a person you like better on a more personal level - the same as IRL dating, and it does have its advantages (shy people aren't so shy on the 'net). That said, it's a lot harder than IRL dating because of distance and lack of physical intimacy. If two people who are dating online don't make plans to meet up, their would-be relationship is as good as dead. Physical contact is absolutely necessary for any couple, no exceptions.

No. In fact it sucks to say it, but I've never really dated at all, and I'm confused with what saying you are dating means (is it the same as saying "I'm going out with that person" / are together? I'll assume it is).
Well yeah, that's what I mean like as in a relationship type thing sorry if I confused you on that xD

I've seen some post about the dating sites and I wanted to add my thoughts in it as well. I've never done online dating so I can't say I've been on these types of sites however, from what i've seen (commercials and such) it's sometimes hard (for at least me) to see weather the people that are together (E-Harmony) if it is real or if their actors. That being said they usually have the date and idunno if they would make up some date if it weren't real would they? I mean to those out there like CC and Argor's uncle congrats to you guys ^^. I say love makes the world go 'round either way so if you happen to meet someone online and things work out go for it you know? If both ends are willing then i'm sure things will turn out fine. As KS (and a few others) had mentioned i agree that if you were to do online dating I would do it when your 18+ just because when your 18 you kindof got an idea (or at least should) about the dangers etc from dating online.

1) Have you ever dated online.

Dating online as in looking at certain websites 'LOOK FOR THIS FEMALE/MALE YOUR AGE' no.

Through a friend of mine I got in contact with my boyfriend, who I've known since 2005, and have been in a relationship with for four years and counting.

No. I actually met my boyfriend in real life, as he visits here occasionally, and we're actually at that point now, where we're working out the moving progress.

I suppose taking it that I do have an long distance relationship it basically counts as dating online, as it falls under the same catagory. It's just a real different story the way I see it.

My feelings aren't really settled or need to be settled on this topic. I mean, :hmmm: I completely understan why some people are edgy on this topic.

For me it's just been this guy. And if ever were to something happen, really I wouldn't date online. I don't really... see a difference though, I mean if two people are being honest, it's basically the same as in real life. Cept you haven't seen each other in real life yet? Eh.

Alot of people might think differently about it. But not all people on the internet are liars.

And I'm fairly content with my four year relationship. :)

Through a friend of mine I got in contact with my boyfriend, who I've known since 2005, and have been in a relationship with for four years and counting.

I suppose taking it that I do have an long distance relationship it basically counts as dating online, as it falls under the same catagory. It's just a real different story the way I see it.

I don't really... see a difference though, I mean if two people are being honest, it's basically the same as in real life. Cept you haven't seen each other in real life yet? Eh.

But not all people on the internet are liars.
Well congrats to you two :) Well yeah I guess you could say that long distance is but you've already met him in real life so it's not completely online if you two already met no?
If is the main thing though. IF they were being honest. And like you said, not everyone on the internet is a liar however, I know I don't like the what if game you know? If they had prove that they were who they said they were then maybe but other then that, I don't like guessing is he really who he says he is? If I were to change my mind and date online and I do end up liking someone and they were honest and whatnot then i'd take the chance.

Back