Online Dating

1 Yes I did, when I was 14 I did that for fun, but that guy turned out to be a total ass and lied about everything. he also sent pictures of his brother instead of himself. And he called me everyday and when I didn't want to talk his sister called me to ask why I didn't want to talk. So I called it quits fast but he still bothered me after that. Luckily he lives in America.
Later on I did have some profiles on dating sites (for women only), but deleted one and one site quit.
2 I won't date anyone again who I haven't seen in real life, I've learnt from my mistake. I only focus on friends now and will see what that will bring.
3 I know I won't do it again and hope others will be careful with it. If the person turns out to be real and not some guy/girl pretending he/she is someone else,then there's mostly a long distance and it will only hurt you when you can't see each other that often. I've seen that with a few people.

1) Have you ever dated online
Yes I have. :awesome: I've only ever seriously dated online, maybe 2/3 times. But a lot of other times, you meet a boy, he's cute, you're 16, you get all "teehee" and then a month later the novelty wears off. One serious online relationship lasted for a year and a half, and the second for 2+ years (not online anymore though).

2) Do you date online why/why not?
Yeah I do. It's not a bad thing. You need to have the right amount of trust in people, balanced by enough security to not be so naive and believe everything they say. I'm not dating online anymore though, as my man has moved country to be with me. =D

3)What are your general feelings over this topic?
Again, I don't think it's bad. Given you can Skype/webcam/speak to the people on the other end live and don't just have pictures to follow, you can believe in who you're with. But it depends on the amount of distance there is. I didn't get into my current relationship with my guy (even though we had very obvious feelings for each other) until I decided I was going to UK for some work experience (where he coincidentally lived ;D).. shortly after I was there, we decided to meet up (as friends) to see what could happen.

Badda boom, badda bing, two and a half years, three break ups and four travel plans later, we're still together and we're in it for the long run. We've lost a lot of friends over it, caused lots of drama but in the end it was worth it.

1) Have you ever dated online?

Yes, I have.

Generally, no. I try to stay away from things like that, but if I do genuinely like the person, then I have no problem with an online or long distance relationship.

3) What are your general feelings over this topic?

I know I'm definitely contradicting myself with this, but I don't think anyone underage should date online. It just screams "bad idea" to me.

My experience was only one, and it was an okay relationship. Nothing ever went too far and I didn't ever end up meeting the person. I guess my situation is quite complicated, seeing as how I do act a lot older than I really am. I'm honest about it though, I've never lied to anyone about anything online, especially with a relationship.

Generally, I have no concern for what other people do. But if my little sister happened to be dating online (in the future, obviously), I'd want to know a bit more about this person and see for myself if they were legitimate. But that's because she's a part of my family that I want to look out for.

Once. It lasted about four months and I did meet him in person. It didn't work out. The distance wasn't the problem; he was possessive, extremely jealous and emotionally abusive.

I'm not actively dating at all right now but I'm not against it. I think people are people, no matter how far or close they are. You can just as easily have a failed relationship with someone next door as with someone 500 miles from you.

My two sisters both met their spouses online and are both very happily married right now so I think it can work for some. I guess it's not for everyone. There are drawbacks such as distance but if both parties have no problem with that it shouldn't be a big deal.

Hmmm, it's an interesting topic :hmmm:

- Nah, I much prefer to be physically with somebody. I've made brilliant friends online but online relationships aren't my thing :hmmm:

2) Do you date online, why/why not?
- Well... I haven't, and it's not my thing, but honestly... I would probably consider it, but only if there was a possibility of us being able to meet occasionally. Like, I wouldn't date somebody from America but I might think about it if they lived in the UK. They'd have to mean quite a lot to me, though :elmo:

3) What are your general feelings over this topic?
- Well, I know sometimes they're successful and sometimes they're not, but that can happen with all relationships. I think the distance is the worst bit :hmmm:

1)Have you ever dated online?
Yes and no. A friend (who I knew IRL) introduced me to a friend who she went to school with over MSN. My friend's friend and I ended up getting kinda close online and then our mutual friend introduced us IRL.
So it wasn't the same as meeting some stranger online through a dating site or something, but we did technically meet online. It didn't last long though, we were both only 13 at the time so it was a rather childish relationship.

2)Do you date online, why/why not?
Nope. I guess distance would be a factor for me and also I don't think chatting over the net would be quite the same as talking to someone face to face. In other words I feel like I wouldn't know someone that well if I didn't get a chance to see them face to face.

While online dating isn't really my thing, I don't really see any issues with other people doing it. To each their own etc..
I feel that online dating is not as dangerous as it is often made out to be providing you are sensible about it. I'd suggest that if you're gonna meet with someone who you met online you should meet in a public place and you should meet in public a few times if you aren't 100% sure.
When you think about it, meeting up with someone who you met online is similar to asking out someone you just met, in the sense that you don't always know what you're in for.

I said this before, but it takes a lot of work to make an online relationship...work. much more so than normal relationships, because you don't see them face to face. web cams have made it much easier, but they aren't a replacement. in my last OL, we both slowed down communications because of real life events (in my case), and because of finding someone else IRL (her case). the kicker is that even though we told each other about our problems, I couldn't help her with any of her problems except give moral support, and vice versa.

They can work, but it takes a hell of a lot of patience, and a hell of a lot more communication than normal.

Oh, and don't forget, people offline can be very different from online.

Its odd, I have and havent. A guy from a forum and me got on well. Chatted on and offline for good few months, but we knew it wouldnt go anywhere.

I wouldnt now as Im with someone. But I wouldnt. I dont know this person well and they could be anyone. I guess it applies with people off the web aswekk, But nowadays its not safe. Plus there is a stigma with dating online. People think youre pathetic and sad.

Do what makes you feel happy. If you want to date online, then so be it. Just be safe, dont let others judge you.

1) Have you ever dated online & 2) Do you date online why/why not? - Not really I've only made friends with people online as I have already got a partner.

I have no problems with people doing it I knew someone who tried it got married and their relationship lasted for a few years before they divorced. I'm not saying all online relationships last a short period of time but to me its just not for me.

1: I tried it. Both the dumb teenager way of 'dating" through chat rooms and forums, and actually trying Match.com. Neither worked out.

2: I do not date online, because I want to actually see the bloody person I'm with. Pixels on a screen are no longer good enough for me.

3: I feel that it's pretty fricking stupid. First there's the fact that since there's fifty billion websites devoted to "dating," every one's spread out, so your actual chances of meeting some one in your area who'd actually go out with you is virtually zero. Second, most of the "people" on the websites are fakes to make the owner look like he's in good business. If your business is popular, it attracts more people, which makes it more popular in reality.

I've seen very little evidence that it actually works anyways. Sure, there's that Tear-Jerker where some young dumb couple falls instantly in love and live together for ever and ever, but really, that's one in a million. And trust me, no matter what you think, you're that 999,999.

When I was younger, yeah.

1) Have you ever dated online.
Depends. When I was 15 I talked to girls on MSN who you would randomly add from conversations with about 10 people at a time. Two people I got close to, one from Scotland, one from London, never met either (even if they are on my facebook now!). I was 18 when I got close to the girl from London and was willing to move over there to be with her but it all fell through because I was only 18 and hadn't a clue. In the end I did move there but to the other side of the country ;) we never met, rarely spoke by that time, so I couldnt be bothered.

2) Do you date online why/why not? -

I've an account on a free dating website that I go on now and again, I rarely message as most of the girls are munters, I did message one who replied and we talk on MSN now until I move home and we'll meet up and go out and see how it goes. I've met a lot of people from the internet, made a lot of friends through it, so its no big deal to me.

I don't care what other people do and have no opinions on someone who does it, its just how it is. I'm willing to meet people from these websites if I know they are genuine. Not too concerned about "safety"; if a 40 year old skinhead turns out to be the gorgeous redhead you've been talking to for a month, I can handle it.

I've never even tried. I look at like this: Online dating is kinda like eating at Arby's; a sane person only does it out of desperation and in the end you end up with a bad stomach ache. People lie too much in real life. Do you really expect them to tell the slightest sliver of a portion of truth online. I know that for some people getting out there and actually doing the face-to-face thing is terrifying but it's much better than talking to a "16-year-old girl" (who is actually a 44-year-old chiropractor from Miami with a foot fetish) on Myspace. I guess I'm old fashioned. Now, I'm not saying anything bad about people who do date online. If you feel much more comfortable doing that way than more power to you. I'm just saying getting out there is healthier. It's called "love at first sight" not "love at first blog." I shouldn't really say anything however do to the fact I almost never leave my house. But that's not because I'm afraid to. I just don't have a car and I don't trust my neighborhood enough to walk around (yay paranoia). Those are my thoughts but for formality's sake, I'll answer the thread properly.

1) No, I've never dated online.
2) I don't date online because I don't like the idea of it.
3) I've already stated how I feel so there's no point in repeating myself.

Truth be told, I've never dated although all my friends have.

Really, I don't see a point to online dating unless you can actually meet up with the person, then it may be worthwhile.

Truth be told, I've never dated although all my friends have.

Really, I don't see a point to online dating unless you can actually meet up with the person, then it may be worthwhile.
well thats usually the point in dating websites ;) meet them.

1) Have you ever dated online.
I have. In fact, I married someone whom I've met online. 6 years ago, when I was 15, I was already extremely "sure" that I didn't want just any person. I'm a bisexual male, which widens the area that I can look for someone in, but it still doesn't mean it's easy. People who I could have sex with, or hang out with, or wake up beside of in a pool in a summer vacation were never lacking, but it still doesn't make a relationship, and at 15 I was absolutely sure I wanted something serious. I've happened to meet someone on a Forum who I completely could not stand, but who became a good friend of mine. After only 6 months of friendship we decided we had the urge to talk to eachother a little way too much for what friends are supposed to be. She was 19, and an independent woman at that. We talked, and decided we really did not want an online relationship because they just don't work, so she made the step to sell her father's flat, that was vacant, and move to my country with me, with the ability to provide for herself quite well.
We married when I was 19, and her, 24, completely believing that we would've stayed together for the rest of our lives. We were both settled, money wasn't an issue, and there was love to last. In the end, we ended up separating, because, after years of being away from her home country, the pain of leaving her friends and family behind became way too much to bare, and she gave me one chance, which was to wait for her for 5 years, while she'd go back to her home country, finish her second masters and then move back permanently. Truth be told, it was bound to happen to me, and it's bound to happen to ANYONE ELSE, and trust me, it will. Needless to say, nobody in the World can love unconditionally. We all have our flukes, and we also have our conditions in a relationship. If you're one of those colorful bunch who say that you love someone for what they are, then you're lying. If they were a raping, murderous bastard in secret, who would have beat you day in and day out, insulted you and stolen from you, would you have loved him still? 'Course not.
Because I had my conditions, I told her I did not want to submit our relationship through that hell and we agreed that it would have never survived, and since her mind was set, what was left for us was to divide our belongings evenly between eachother, and separate.

2) Do you date online why/why not? -

Hell no. Never will try that again. Honestly, when everything's said and done, it's the little things that matter. And no, they won't involve the "smell of her/his hair", the "touch of his/her hand on your face". That's, very much, a fairy tale. What you WILL miss, is the sex, and the necessity. That's something everybody, no matter how bad-ass you think you are, needs to feel - needed.
Both of those things I can get relatively easily, which isn't saying much, but for the time being, my opinion on online dating in a whole can be resumed in two words: desperation, failure.

I can agree if someone thinks they have a stable relationship online, but again, people lie, and they will lie to you. Everybody lies. Everybody you know has already lied to you. Everybody you will meet WILL eventually lie to you. Doesn't mean those lies are heartbreaking, but that's only because they aren't as important to you as someone you fall in love with is.
What I can't agree with is the belief that an online relationship will ever eventually lead to a lifetime relationship, and that it is everything you've "ever wanted", also considering you're probably 15/25, and believe me when I say, you have NO freakin' clue what the hell is it that you've "always wanted", because you haven't lived enough for that =P.

Have you ever dated online?
No. Not once.

Do you date online why/why not?
No I dont I guess I have just never felt compelled to do so as of yet and for MYSELF I dont believe it would be very realistic to even try. I guess for me i'd rather date a person whom I have more access to than threw energy~phone,internet ect.

My general feelings in regard to internet dateing
For myself I honestly dont believe in it. To many people lie and quite frankly I dont believe you can have a true love type connection without actual contact with said person.
You never know the person till you have honestly been arround them for a while and imo i dont believe that includes electronic means.
I can be wrong and things such as this can and has happend and worked out nicely for the couples involved and I guess if you can find it you might as well enjoy it .
I guess it probably boils down to the people involved and their feelings and since its yet to happen to me I just dont find it very realistic.
Im mostly flip floppy on this subject...I have made a wide veriety of "online" friends whom ive talked to for well over ten years...since we havent met in person does that make us any less of friends? do my feelings for them matter less because of this? I dont think so but I also think love in general is hard enough to find outside of the internet and since the internet makes it so much more easy to be whatever you want to be its easier to lie....
I guess like friends dating works the same way....internet wise....but I still maintain a lot of negative judgments in regard to it :hmph:

Here's my question to all of you:

1. I have actually dated someone online before. At the time I was young and naive (I was aware of the dangers) but it did come to us naturally. We weren't planning to be together, it just happened. We were an unstable relationship though.... we were together 1 year & a half off and on. Due to circumstances, I broke it off.

2. Do I? No. I made the decision to no longer 'date' online. I've been through this before, I know it isn't for me because I just can't handle the distance. Ever since my relationship ended with my ex online, I told myself when the time comes, it'll happen no need to intentionally meet someone online. But if it works for other people, go ahead :monster:

3. I personally don't mind what other people do. I know for me, did it and will never go back to it :-) Just not my thing. It can be dangerous, but I feel like if you know these dangers, and you still wanna , go for it. Whatever floats your boat, yeah? :ryan:

Have you ever dated online?
I did once when I was about 14 or something, for shits and giggles and it was not serious at all...I then did not get into any kind of relationship with anyone online until very recently.

Do you date online? Why/Why not?
I am currently dating online because I happened to be lucky enough to meet a normal boy on there who is perfecto for me :griin: I'd have never in a million years thought I'd have met someone online that I'd actually click with but I have and it has completely changed my opinion of it.

What are your general feelings over this topic?
Originally I was quite against it, I thought 'How can you really get to know someone over the internet? how do you know if they are who they say they are??' but then I realised you can say that about anyone, even people you meet in person. The internet has come a long way, as has other technology. You can phone people, webcam, planes make it so even the furthest place in the world is only a day or two away. So long as you're smart about it and make sure you are 100% sure of who you're talking to, then what's to stop you from being with someone just be cause you met them online? Make sure if you're serious you have solid future plans, and make sure you meet the person before you decide anything big with them, I think meeting in person is a big indication on whether you're compatible or not, but there is no reason a really great thing can't start from the internet :griin:

I went close to it once when I was 12. I was playing Maple Story and this guy was giving me so much equipment and money for good shit because I was his "girlfriend". Does that count?

Nope, I don't feel it's a very healthy thing to do for someone like me, who is young and totally capable of socializing and going out and meeting people. I think if I were to do it, it would mean giving up on possibilities.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as you're safe. People should do what they feel is right for them and whatever makes them happy. I'm glad that it's starting to be a lot more socially acceptable now, because I know some people who just don't do well in social situations and are better off meeting someone online. There's nothing wrong with it if you're in it for the right reasons. But even if it isn't for what I'd consider a "right" reason, it's still really none of my business if it isn't affecting me. Go at 'er.

1. Yes, I have. Several times, actually, but most were as a joke.

2. Yes, I do. I'm going to be honest, I'm not ashamed of it at all. I'm currently in a long-distance relationship as we speak with a man. Is it hard? Of course it is, there's nothing harder than waking up every morning and knowing that he's not here with me, knowing he's not here to wipe my tears when I'm sad or to make me laugh when I need it. Trust me, it's extremely hard, the closest we have to face-to-face contact are our often Skype calls. We've been dating for over a year and a half , and I trust him completely. I might get a lot of replies trying to convince me of it, but go ahead and do so to your heart's content.

3. If they're happy with who they're with, then more power to them.

Back