Naming Characters

I personally leave them as it is except for Dagger cos that's just urgh so it gets changed back to Garnet, other than that and with all other Final Fantasy games I leave them as they are.

Makes for some funny moments.
In my mind even on this playthrough it's still Zidane and Vivi's equipment and abilities I'm adjusting etc... the renaming just cracks me up!!!

Err maybe I did go too far. :facepaw:
amarant 1.jpg

Even Gilgamesh is appalled!!!! :lolwhack:

amarant 2.jpg

My apologies FFIX fans still loving the game at the moment demeaning renaming and all!!!

I always keep their names the same, but this one time I called Dagger: Dagger% by accident (slip of the hand, sirs and madams). T'was so funny :wacky:.

I kept them the same apart from changing Dagger's name back to Garnet. I really didn't like the Dagger alias, but I guess it would have made more sense for the story if I'd kept it.

There was a time when a friend of mine (named Tom) was doing his playthrough of the game at my house when I was young. He had to go home for tea and didn't have time to stay to find a save point so he trusted me to get to the next save point and save for him...

Unfortunately for him the next save point was after meeting and naming Freya. I thus named Freya 'Tom's Mom'. :argor:

It was funny at the time.

When I played this as a kid I would change Amarant's name because it was too hard to pronounce. I'd usually name him something to the effect of "big red guy."

I've seen that a lot of people chose "Garnet" for Dagger's alias... I never did. I mean the way the story is set up it doesn't make any sense. "Oh I need a different name so people won't know I'm the princess. What do you call this knife? Oh, it's a dagger... You know what, I think I'll go by my real name! That'll fool everyone!"

Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me. If you don't like Dagger, fine... I don't see what's wrong with it personally, but it seems people could come up with something better than the name she's trying not to use. I never once changed her name, or Vivi's or Freya's. The first time I played the game, not long after it came out, I named Zidane "Gohan" as a DBZ reference, haha I was soooo clever... Steiner was "RoheXley"... I don't even know why. I was like, 10-12 and thought it was funny. Quina was named "Lickitung," in a reference to Pokemon. Amarant was known as "Kumlocki," and Eiko received this misfortune of being named "Oddity." I did not finish that playthrough.

In subsequent ones, I left everyone with their regular names aside from Eiko and Amarant who kept their bizarre nicknames because I didn't like them. My most recent playthrough, even they kept their real names... and I realized there was nothing wrong with those characters at all. I will never rename my babies again.

As a kid I used to always name my characters in games. I'd always alternate between using my family/friends' names or just random names to get a laugh out of. Now I can't be bothered to. It just doesn't really appeal to me anymore.

I normally name Zidane after myself, and give Garnet a better alias than Dagger. Last time I played through the game I named her after a friend of mine and she was so happy since Garnet was her favorite character.

When I first played through the game I named Zidane and Vivi after myself and then my Spanish name. But after I got deeper into the game, that kinda seemed stupid so I found the Namingway Card and changed them back to their original names respectively.

Everyone else's names I kept the same and each Final Fantasy game I've played since then I've kept them as well. I doubt I'll change them in games to come either, but I think the days of renaming characters will be close to an end if not already since the voice actors have the scripts of saying he party members' names down-pact.

Back