Naming Characters

i used to but i out grew it, it felt weird making your friend cast doomsday, and potentially kill other friends.... :tonberry:

I never bother to rename characters... I mean in a Shadow hearts game one of my friends renamed the main character and in 1 FMV his name was called out... Which having changed his name to something else was pointles...

There is 1 exception though... I always rename 1 character in FFIX and that is Dagger... I always call rename her to Garnet... Since that is what it should be :)

A friend for pure comic relief renamed Steiner... So his hissy fit would be "My name is NOT Rusty! I am Sir Adelbert Rusty!"

So yeah, unless aboslutely necessary I never rename characters on any game :)

i've always used my friends names for the characters according to the similar roles that they play in my life as opposed to the game. i think it always makes it more interesting that way :)

I use to when I was younger, the lead heroine would ALWAYS get my name lolz. Then it would be DragonBall Z character names. But now when I replay, I stick to the original names. Grown out of it.

i used my friends names, names of other FF characters, names of gems, and metals- that sort of thing but i would always leave Eiko's name alone.

Original names, except in my last playthrough where I named everyone "Kuja" (and renamed them to "Bob" in Daguerro. BRING MY BELOVED BOB TO ME!)

...Yes, I really did do that :mokken:

Sometimes I renamed Zidane Locke. Also, Garnet used to be renamed Chicks. I find it amusing that Zidane says "My mind is only on Chicks now"; "I'm only thinking about chicks".

First playthru on ff9 for me years ago when i was young was naming vivi the "N" word, It accually brought an unintentional lol at the end of the game, The little rat prince running away from the small vivi army screaming "Look at all the......" and so on >.>

I was 12, so no offence intented

LMAO that's hillarious. A bit immature but w/e

I renamed all my characters in IX (cept Zidane) because they all were... kinda difficult to remember at the age that I played it. What probably made it overwhelming was when Steiner introduced himself as Adelbert Steiner, I was like WOAH name change. I actually named him Bluto from Popeye :P But yeah, the names kinda seemed a bit weird to me.

LMAO that's hillarious. A bit immature but w/e

I renamed all my characters in IX (cept Zidane) because they all were... kinda difficult to remember at the age that I played it. What probably made it overwhelming was when Steiner introduced himself as Adelbert Steiner, I was like WOAH name change. I actually named him Bluto from Popeye :P But yeah, the names kinda seemed a bit weird to me.

Zidane was called Ryan(Me!)
Garnet was named Rinoa
Steiner was named Rusty
Vivi, well we know that one
I dont remember the rest.........OH WAIT, Quina was named M*ngo (Again i was 12 XD)

I wouldn't do this because then when you talk to people about the game it gets confusing, and the only game in the FF series I've done this with is II, for the PSP.
-Bretboy129 ~ Bret Hudson

When I first got this game, back in...'03, '04, I was little, like 8 or 9. Of course I renamed everybody to my friends, haha.

But nowadays I leave it as is, simply because I don't really want to anymore, and the names given are better than anything I can come up with.

I keep their names the same because I always felt that changing them is like editing a book. Barry Potter just can't be takin seriously// Besides, why confuse the names?

I do change some of the names. Dagger just sounds pathetic, so I change it to keep it as Garnet. I always change the main character to Robert, because that's my name =P I leave Freya alone as is, simply because perfection shouldn't be changed. Vivi remains Vivi, Eiko I change to Farah, because she sounds more like a fiery-tempered girl and I prefer to have names I can actually pronounce. I renamed the brawler (I can't even think of how it's spelled right now) to Rand, a tribute to BoF2. I renamed Steiner to Sanders in tribute to a running joke from Spaceballs.

What's the matter, Col. Sanders? Chicken? =P

It's no fun to just stick and anyways the names given are a bit boring.

Zidane - Jared
Garnet - Aries
Steiner - Quin
Vivi - Buxiam
Eiko - 'Nna
Quina - Rilosin
Freya - Nina
Amarant - Zebulon

The only name I can recall changing is Barret in FF7 to Mr. T

And maybe Cloud's name to my name once.

After years of seeing my friends name their characters 'SHIT' or 'GAY LOL' i've decided against ever changing names again.. Except Pokemon, always ASH 8)

I always used to when I was younger, but at this point, I leave it as is. The point that pushed me over the edge was a playthrough of VIII when it first came out. I rennamed all the summons to stupid things, and couldnt rememebr who was what. I would look up somehting (trying to do a 100% or as close as I could get based on my reckoning) and it would suggest summon XXX, but with names like Taco Salad and Fishy, it would get difficult....

It's not childish to change the names it's only a bit of a laugh.
Anyhow on my current playthrough I've been a bit of a jerk in my renaming.

20150810_101920.jpg
Steiner-FukFace
Freya-Bitch
Quina-(I won't even say it on the forum it's not a nice name)

Zidane (to Amarant)" Alright we'll call you A******"
Zidane to Freya "so B**** what you been up to all these years?"
NPC to Steiner "Oh your Adelbert F****** of the Pluto Knights"
Quina "I not Kuja I called F****** "

Makes for some funny moments.
Still taking the game seriously mind you in the above screenshot from my PSP I'm near the end of disc 2 and I'm probably a bit overlevelled.
Passed the game 3 or 4 times before and i had the default names on at least 1 or 2 of those playthroughs.
In my mind even on this playthrough it's still Zidane and Vivi's equipment and abilities I'm adjusting etc... the renaming just cracks me up!!!

Back