[V2] Rock vs. Rap

So which genre of music do you like

• Total voters

Icarus

Torn between Scylla and Charybdis
Gil
In the first poll, rock beat out rap 30-5.
So which do you prefer? I'm more of a rock person myself, but I also listen to heavy metal.
This time, I will group alternate genres with each choice.

I listen to metal/punk/pop-punk. I tend to avoid indie rock and alternative though, unless the alternative band in question is Nirvana.

Why is there no option for both?
But yeah.
I listen to alot of 80s, like bon jovi, so i guess ill go with rock.
But i listen to a lot of pop and RnB too, so i dont know :S

I listen to good music, not to music genres. I prefer music that is original and shows real emotion. Most pop/rap/r&b music seems to lack these things for me. It seems to me there are more alternative (rock etc.) musicians out there who want to provide the public with something new and original. Pop (pop, rap etc.) musicians often pretend to give the public something new, which is basically the same old stuff with a gimmick. I own cd's in almost every genre, since there is also good pop and rap out there, except for R&B, which just makes me want to puke. Worst. Music genre. Ever.

I listen to Rock, it's the best genre out there. The only Rap/R&B I listen to is old skool stuff from the 70s/80s and Michael Jackson.

I agree with ya. Michael Jackson's music was very good while it lasted.
I listen to mostly Trivium, Necrofaggis, and Cannibal Corpse, but I can tolerate the less hard rock. Someone in v1 of this thread mentioned that rap is just a manufactured beat. That's the best way to describe rap IMO.

I like rock but I also like rnb and all that other good jazz too. I chose rap/pop/rnb just because I think I listen to it more then punk n metal and whatelse not there is. I'm not a fan of metal/ punk and thats why I chose the other option.

I like both choices in this poll. But, I often find that there are better rock songs than rap songs. For me at least, I have to dig to find a rap song that I like so overall I'll just go for rock.

I think the poll should have been separated into single genres or just Rap vs. Rock. I really enjoy listening to rock of all types but at the same time I don't really like metal or punk whereas, I hate rap and like the odd RnB and pop song so I'm split between the two. However, I much prefer rock so I'll go with that option. :)

I like R&B Hip Hop. Rock and heavy metal sound like people are just shouting and playing guitars like they are crazy, no offense. I also LOVE whatever Fireflies is :3

I really don't stick my ears in rap,rnb or pop, so i'm going for the second because that's what i usually hear.

I think the poll should have a better division of styles, jazz should be included at least, as well as other kinds of music. It would make the poll more interesting and i'm pretty sure more people would participate.

Anyways, nice idea.

I like rock in general like Three Days Grace, Smashing Pumpkin, Led Zepphlin, etc. I'm more of a rocker chick than anything else, but of course I also listen to whatever sounds good. I'm not a big fan of rap, not at ALL. Sounds like a bunch of people talking very fast about women, sex, money, and cars...no offense. >> Rock's got meaning behind it most of the time and lyrics that relate to emotion. I don't mind R&B it's okay and easy to dance to.

I like Rage against the machine so I could pick both. A lot of rap just isn't my thing though and I prefer rock. Even though a lot of rock sounds the same these days, rap just almost always sounds the same to me and a lot of the lyrics are very pointless.

There are some great meaningful rap songs, though.

Pop can fall into either category (pop rock, pop punk), so I'm not sure how effective it is to have it in only one.

When I was young, I was huge on rap. Then I started a slow shift over to rock. More often than not, I'll listen to rock, but it's not like it's exempt from producing shitty music the same as any other genre. Meanwhile, there are still good rap tracks every now and then (I love Jay Z's "New York", and artists like Lupe Fiasco and Common). So I guess I can say that I listen to good music as a whole, doesn't matter the style.

I lean more towards the Rock catergory.

Not a real fan of rap and never have been.

Rock has a better sound to it in my opinion. It's more appealing to me anyway. The lyrics are more meaningful to me than any rap song could be.

And more than half the time I can't even understand what rappers are saying anyway. I like to know what people are singing about. So that requires me to understand them to start off with. >.<

I'm glad the poll's been changed. There were far too many categories mashed together.

Anyway, I voted for rock. I've never really been a fan of rap, except one or two in that category. I've been kinda raised around rock and I feel it's much more geniune than rap since they sing and have some good music in the background.

I'm more of a rock person myself, although I do listen to a few rap songs every now and then. Jay-Z's new song with Alicia Keys is pretty good, and I really liked his collab. with Rihanna and Kayne. I've liked rap songs from a few other artists as well, but I still love rock first and foremost.

someone has to say it sooner or later: i don't care for genres. if it has a discernable melody or beat (or both) that sounds good to my ears i will listen to it whether it's a rap song about boobs and sex or a heavy metal track lamenting on how scene kids have taken over mainstream rock'n roll (just kidding! :D). if it's an orchestral track-turned-rap but has a great beat to compliment the strings and the rapper doesn't sound like a tool, i'll listen to it. if it's death metal about exploding heads and it has a great guitar solo mid-way, i'll listen to it.

music that is innovative and new is great. music that is not innovative but sounds great, is also great. music is music. now, let's all rap the barney song.

Rap of course, I don't see how the average rock group can even COMPARE to likes of titans like Jay Z, Eminem, Nas, Dr. Dre, etc. Certainly there are crappy rappers, just like there are crappy rock singers. It's just overall the output of amazing rap songs has been exponentially better than their rock equivalents.

Back