[V2] Rock vs. Rap

So which genre of music do you like

• Total voters
Rap of course, I don't see how the average rock group can even COMPARE to likes of titans like Jay Z, Eminem, Nas, Dr. Dre, etc. Certainly there are crappy rappers, just like there are crappy rock singers. It's just overall the output of amazing rap songs has been exponentially better than their rock equivalents.
Because of opinions possibly?

Besides, your "average rock group" doesn't compare to those rappers because they aren't your average rappers.... as you said.

Rap of course, I don't see how the average rock group can even COMPARE to likes of titans like Jay Z, Eminem, Nas, Dr. Dre, etc. Certainly there are crappy rappers, just like there are crappy rock singers. It's just overall the output of amazing rap songs has been exponentially better than their rock equivalents.

I seriously think the rock genre has provided us with more titans and epic works then rap. Think about Queen, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc. They have all probably produces some crappy stuff in their careers, but I'm sure Jay Z and Eminem have too.

Also I think rock songs are often better kept in the collective memory then rap songs. I doubt a song like '99 Problems' or 'The Real Slim Shady' (to name a few well known songs of the rappers you mentioned) will be remembered like Bohemian Rhapsody or Stairway to Heaven are remembered now.

If there are any rap epics, then please name one, I'm not that familiar with this area of music and I'm curious how the 'Stairway to Heaven of rap' sounds :)

There is the odd rap Ill like, I like it when bands like Linkin Park rap it up, Nice combo of rock and rap is always nice. But Ill always be a rock fan first. Rap just doesnt get me motivated or makes me buzz as much as rock does.

there sould be an option for both. I do like my rock but i do like some rap. I do like the Linkin park/J-Z collabiration.

I voted for Rap purely because of Tupac he was Gold and is untouchable as far as rapping is concerned, Don't really listen to Rock all that much my favourite rock group is Fozzy though, I think rock is better then the crap nowadays though so i guess...

Rock > Lil Wayne Etc
Tupac > Rock

:ryan:

Well, I can see the devil Ninetales in my sig is bringing in teh votes. Once there are 50 votes, this will be closed down. I think I am getting an answer as to FFF's musical preferences :)

Last edited:
I picked Rock. However, that doesn't mean I don't like rap. I hate gangsta rap. But, the rare rap that is about real problems and such is great. Not all rap has to be about takin' drugs at tah clubb yo, or about gettin a chick at tah club. I hate that rap very much. Rap needs more fun lighthearted songs, and more serious rap that can be inspirational. Until then, I like Rock more. XD

Metaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal.

:ryan:

I love rap, don't get me wrong.

But we're including all genres?

ROCK ROCK ROCK. It goes to say I like rock, alternative, post-core, emo, heavy, metal...EVERYTHING.

:monster:

I still prefer rock music, but I am listening to a lot of rap lately. I am not use to it. IDK why it's changing but I've just been finding some good tracks.

That said, I am still a rock girl :hal:

Majority of my favorite music is rock, in fact, I listen to rock so much I tend to forget other genres exist, as strange as that sounds. Since this is about Rock VS Rap, I feel like saying my favorite music is usually when people combine aspects of both. It's very unique and dope as hell.

That said, I wonder... :hmmm: Will the dislike for rap music die out? Rock use to be 'black' music (pioneered by black people) and people joined that genre and kinda took over it later on, but now rap is being pioneered by blacks and i just wonder if there will be a time in the future where people of all types listen to rap, too. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'm just curious to know if one day rap won't be as hated or bitched about like how rock evolved into the huge fanbase it is now. :hmmm:

i can't lie, i use to say music is like candy, you throw away the rappers, but I've since dropped that attitude what with how many new rappers I like to listen to. I still think the overall majority are shitty but there are great talents in that genre too.

I much prefer rock and heavy metal over rap.
To me heavy metal is EVERYTHING that rap isn't.
It is actual music to me, with emphisis on melody. Also there is rhythm, but that is not the focus of the genre.
There is creativity and originality in metal/rock. I like it when a band incorporates a new instrument or singer into their sound.
Speaking of singers, metal/rock has people who actually can sing and don't require computer programs like Auto-tune to fix their voice.
Metal and rock uses actual instruments like guitars, bass, drums and keyboards with the people who are playing them having years of experience. You can hear it. To me, that makes metal and rock more enjoyable.
There is no canned instrument samples from computers or synthised computer sounds you hear in rap and pop music. I really hate that, it sounds like garbage to me.

Some of my favorite metal sub-genres include:
Thrash
New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Power Metal
Speed Metal
Industrial Metal
Symphonic Power Metal
Gothic Metal
Progressive Metal
Melodic Death Metal
Classic Metal

and