FFXIII Final Fantasy XIII General Discussion Thread

I'd say this was definately the gardest game I've played up to date............I've died countless times,but I dont hate it for that reason. Even though enemies are ridiculously high it makes the game more challenging...........But I guess it was deliberatly made difficult as your characters have fully healed for the next battle. And also if there were random battles instead of enemies on the field there would of been way more fights..........but at the beggining of the game in the lower-world........the enemies are really what they should be like........you attack and 1/4 of their HP vanishes..........and without paradighms you just use potions............that is really how you would play other final fantasy games.

I have a lot of likes about the game as far as visuals, and then a lot of dislikes to counter them as well. Let me start out with the dislikes.

1) Comparing this game to FFXII I even felt less in control than the gambit system with my spells. You just set up your character as either a support/healbot - Debuffer - Offensive Spell - Offensive Melee user, and then let them do their thing. Granted the main character you can pretty much control, but don't have hot keys the spell system is very sloppy to maneuver through. No real leveling up scheme until mid way through the game, when you notice things actually starting to be giving you problems. Also haste is the strongest spell in the game?! WTF!? meh.. so many problems with this game.

2) Lack of Control over all. I felt as if I was playing a story book, not an actual game. Though the story was intriguing at times, it was also repetitive at times to with the entire Lu'Ci + Fal'Ci plot.

3) Character development - Yet again they really screwed up here. You get the whole 1st part of the story going
through the purge and freeing Serah
. Though it never actually digs deep with the characters. Like what's Snow's background aside from being the
fiance of Serah
. Aside from defending the city against pulse what was Lightnings duties while she served in the military and was she a friend of Snow's at one time prior to all that? Meh.. if you are going to tell a story give the characters a bit more umph, that's why most folks hated Snow. I'm not going character by character, so I'll leave it off there for now.

4) Missions/Side quests - They put these at the END of the game, and why? If there reasoning was to not take away from the main story.. then they did an awful job. Side quests are called side quests for a reason, not End Quests.

---

The good - The story was interesting, but like I said before a tad repetitive. I just wish they had made it intriguing prior to chapter 8/9. I basically had to wait half of the game and struggle fighting and trying to figure out wtf was going on. It was an action rpg I get it, so there's always fighting involved if there isn't an FMV. The fighting kept me on my toes though, because one missed move and I could be pretty freaking screwed. I like that, though technically speaking this wasn't really a typical FF. It felt more like a more intricate dirge of Cerberus.

---

My hopes for future RPGs - Get back to the roots. Get more involved with the characters, make one feel as if they should be pulled to one side or another, and make the reader know what's going on in the beginning as well as the middle. Put more storyline hooks, to keep the reader/player hooked. There is only so many Fal'Ci soldiers I can kill before being turned off to the game, it felt more like a true grind to get through the story this time around.

I just couldn't get behind the story all that much. The dialog for the most part was painful with only a couple of people delivering their lines well and about the only characters I liked was Lighting and Sazh Katzroy. To be completely fair though I didn't get all that far into the game because it seems nowadays if there isn't enough to grab me from the beginning I just can't play further into it.

That said I did like the game play, the fighting and the graphics were killer. Nothing wrong with those things it was just the story telling and dialog for me.

The story I didn't have a big problem with, but the lack of side-quests is really what irked me. To me, a FF game is not an official FF game unless there's a shitload of side-quests. Yeah, I probably sound a bit old-fashion, but to me side-quests are what keep me busy in ff games, and in FF13, I felt a lack of those side-quests.

However, where it lacked in side-quest options, it made up in battle system, and flashy graphics. :ryan:. I also enjoyed the character development, but it did bother me that there wasn't a high difficulty or anything >.>. But with that being said, loved the story, graphics, cutscenes, and everything else. :ryan:

The game is ok but not great.

I still have a ways to go before I finish it.

Yes there should have been sidequests, npcs and towns and Square's excuse for not having them is lame and quite frankly inexcusable.

I guess we have all our hopes pinned on Versus.

Yes there should have been sidequests, npcs and towns and Square's excuse for not having them is lame and quite frankly inexcusable.

I half-agree, and half-disagree with this. I do agree that there should of been towns, and more NPcs, but about it not being present enough "lame", and inexcusable is what I do not agree with. I know that FF13 wasn't the best one out there, and surely 10 outbeats it anyday, but I'm sure, at some point, FF13 did seem like the best game of the series, but in other points, it didn't.

To put it short, it surely was disappointing, but no way near "inexcusable." But, I respect any and every opinions

I think what annoyed people a lot was the long wait, the same thing happened with XII, we waited ages and a lot of people didn't like it. Probably because they already had prior preconceptions of the game and thinking it's something that it's not.

Personally XIII is my favourite FF to date, I like it. Sure it has its flaws and a few things could and should have been done better, but it's nice to know they're not sticking to the same formula each time. At least they're trying to do something a little different. Well, it's the same premise I guess but I don't think anyone wants it to change too much either way.

At the end of the day though, it all comes down to personal preference. I've heard a lot of bad stick towards XIII, and fair play, if you don't like it you don't like it. It's just not going to change what I personally think of it.

I think it'd be a bit hard on the developers though to an extent, they wanted something new and fresh without taking that old spark away. I will admit though, even though it is my favourite to date it seemed to be missing something. If anything I think it was the lack of side quests to be honest, we're always used to loads. Granted there are the missions but the variety goes after a bit.

Dontcha just luv Cindy Lennox ? What a personable young lady.Rotfl.

I think a lot of us, us being FF fans have soured on the franchise.
We've soured on it.

Some of it because we have our own conceptions of what makes a great FF game and the recent games have been lacking, at least for some of us.
We've gotten into flamewars with people who like those games as well and that has left a sour taste in the mouths of some of us.
It certainly has in mine.

In the past I enjoyed the games regardless, now I feel a lack of enthusiasm towards them.
I'm at chapter 11 of FFXIII and while I intend to play it to the end I don't feel like I did whan I played FFX the first time.When I saw Sin and Auron for the first time.
I had that special sense of wonder as I played.

It's missing now for me and I doubt it will ever return.

Maybe it's my own cynicism There's been a lot of adversity in my life since I played FFX.
Maybe it's the flamewars over FFXII when I was a member of Gamefaqs that has soured things for me.Although it seems obvious to me others have also soured on the games, and they can't all have been involved in the violent flamewars I have been involved in.

Maybe their expectations just haven't been met by Square.

Maybe that's why.

Some of it because we have our own conceptions of what makes a great FF game and the recent games have been lacking, at least for some of us.
Looking at a certain voting thread, Final Fantasy became good at the time of VI and became bad after X. So to speak.

And speaking of this, I have a theory. What if X was kind of looked at as the last Final Fantasy in a way, as a turning point, and for there to be any more Final Fantasy games after that is just... you know. Probably not a very accurate theory though.

how has chapter nine so hard and ffXIII i guess ed when i played it it was sort of fun but the story was bad not to bad but it wasnt so good how did you play it online if thats what your message said beacuse i forgot and what system do you have for 13 whatever forget that but how much did it cost beacase i played it at my friends house how was it hard in chapter 9 i played that one its easy:neomon:

How would Kitase and Toriyama respond to that assertion ?

Looking at a certain voting thread, Final Fantasy became good at the time of VI and became bad after X. So to speak.

And speaking of this, I have a theory. What if X was kind of looked at as the last Final Fantasy in a way, as a turning point, and for there to be any more Final Fantasy games after that is just... you know. Probably not a very accurate theory though.

the one that the games got good at VI and bad after X.

Of course they would feel insulted, since they've been pretty much running things after Sakaguichi left and since Matusno's departure.

Kawazu, who took over for Matsuno..and who did a poor job in my opinion now says the Japanese games lack passion:

http://play.tm/news/31681/ff-xii-producer-says-japan-lacks-passion/

maybe that is something that is missing as well and we experienced FF fans feel it.
Not meant to be a criticism for those who feel things are fine as is though.

shrugs...

Taste differ I guess and as pointed out even the Japanese developers disagree with each other on the direction they should take.

I enjoyed Final Fantasy 13 the lack of world map and other things that upset so many people didn't bother me that much. In fact the only thing I didn't like about the game is due to personal preference and that is, I hate long cut scenes. I'm sorry when I play a game I want to play the game not sit there for ten minutes watching a clip that is so long you actually have the option to save when it's over. Everything else I loved about the game and I think the reason so many fans hate it is because people just hate change. It's to be expected, once you stick with a formula for so long and dare to expand beyond that you always get people telling you the new way suck and they want to revert back to the old ways. Final Fantasy 13 was still a success to me not only financially but to me, in quality. My favorite characters are Lightning, Snow, Hope and Sazh Katzroy. Yes I said Hope you may send in your hate letters now.

To talk about Lightning a little...

When I first started playing the game I noticed that Lightning seemed to have some of the same vulnerable qualities of traditional Final Fantasy women, but that she acted pretty tough in the cut-scenes which kind of tried to give you a new form of thinking about her. She kind of acted like a jerk in a lot of the cutscenes (
punched Snow, slapped Fang, had a bad attitude)
, but this probably isn't going to stop people from liking her.

It was later explained how Lightning
was feeling bad about how she treated Serah, how she didn't believe her
. But unfortunately, by this time it was too late to see Lightning in a different... light :tehe:.

Overall though, I find the best way to decipher Lightning's personality is to look at it from her best or one of her best roles... that is, a “Commander”.

Currently watching a video playthrough of the game, as I won't be getting a PS3 till after Christmas anyway, and I wanted to see what the game was like before I made up my mind about buying it.

Overall it seems okay, a little cutscene heavy at the moment maybe, but then again this walkthrough skips all non-scripted battles, so maybe it seems like there are more scenes than there actually are.

As for the characters... Vanille needs to be tied up in a plastic bag and left to the Ci'eth.
Seriously. Her walk annoys me, her voice REALLY annoys me, everything about her draws out the inner hate. Hope too, his voice makes me want to rip off my ears.

Snow is marginally less annoying, because his voice actor doesn't make my ears bleed, but his characterisation is a load of shite.

Lightning is a flat character too, but she's also the most badass, so I'm willing to let it slide.

Sazh is the only character I kind of like. He has some comic relief value but is also a very serious and mature character, and doesn't follow some idiotic way of thinking like many of the others. He's got his head on straight.

So I've started playing XIII...

...and it's not that bad. It's certainly nothing like VII/VIII/IX, or even XII, but i like that. In fact, it's thus far very similar to X in play, in that the paths are linear with two exits. The gameplay is pretty similar to X-2, though for now combat is mostly attack->AoE->attack->attack. So far the plot is mildly interesting, it plays out like an action movie.

I'm enjoying the game. I had no expectations from previous FF titles save for brand recognition, that probably has a lot to do with it. I'll update as I go.

Glad to know that you like it...

From the sound of it, it sounds like you aren't all that far into it. If so, you might be even more suprised at how it develops as a game. I'd say it isn't a lot like X, but it kind of reminds you of X-2 because both X-2 and XIII don't really try to achieve a set of expectations :hmmm:.

...and it's not that bad. It's certainly nothing like VII/VIII/IX, or even XII, but i like that. In fact, it's thus far very similar to X in play, in that the paths are linear with two exits. The gameplay is pretty similar to X-2, though for now combat is mostly attack->AoE->attack->attack. So far the plot is mildly interesting, it plays out like an action movie.

I'm enjoying the game. I had no expectations from previous FF titles save for brand recognition, that probably has a lot to do with it. I'll update as I go.

Yeah I agree-had no expectations myself. And I actually enjoyed it. It was just very frustrating a times. But so far, I think it's a success. I don't know. It's hard to say how popular it is. I like it though. Lightning is a bitch, but she might be better in the next one. I just like her fighting style, and she's pretty cool. Plus, Odin is awesome. Yeah I rambled...

something good about FFXIII

I said something negative about FFXIII earlier but I have something good to say about it as well. There was one reason I liked FFIX more then any other and that was because the ending. FFIX at the point you fight Necron was a good game but the ending put it over the top for me. FFXIII ending is one of the best endings the corny music the whole reunion, Ligtning saying "I believe you" with those cool looking birds passing through. Then lastly you see the crystal of Venielle who did a lot of wrong but sacraficed herself at the end. I think its one of the best FF endings what do you guys think?

Back