FFXIII Final Fantasy XIII General Discussion Thread

Well I didn't take a pix0r of mine, but I did make this nifty design sig which you can see below on PhotoShop to celebrate. The game is A-W-E-S-O-M-E so far. As soon as I got access to Paradigms, I started spamming Paradigm Shifts after every attack just because I love the animations haha.

I'm easily amused.

Last edited:
Holy crap. I don't know about you guys, but when the paradigms and crystallium were introduced, the gameplay just TOOK OFF. It's so much fun now, it's not even funny. I'm actually constantly on my toes, which is the first for the Final Fantasy series.

The boss in the middle of Chapter three actually got me stuck because I kept mistiming the paradigm shifts, but it's stiff SUPER fun. By far the best FF gameplay I've experienced, although maybe I should let the "new car smell" of the gameplay wear off before making such a claim.

Okay so I am already on chappy III in one day lol. I play too mich but iy was worth it! Btw Busta You can control the other characters in battle. Im sure you can. Im loving Lightning! Shes so hot and freaking mad xD. Sazh is so awesome but hes always the one left alone Vanille is really ummm awkward xD I love her voice but she is quite weird. Hope and Snow are awesome also. Most probably gonna meet Fang soon xD So yeah the battle system is ACE and everything else is too. The story is awesome!

Is it me or after 3 hours of game play does anyone else want to kill hope?
I mean come on... Really?

Im 7 hours in and still want him to fall onto something sharp and pointy!!! IHe just whines and its getting to the point of wanting Sazh to slap him up side the head lolz. But yeah, Hope is the only character Im not warming to. And never would have guessed Lightning was 21!! I was seeing her as more of late 20s early 30s!

I didn't get too far since it was a long day at work, but I didn't get into Chapter 2 a little bit. I do understand why Hop would be irate with Snow, but he's just too young to understand what happened and why his mother did what she did and how Snow did all he could.

I don't find him annoying yet since I'm still early in the game, but I do have a feeling Vanille is gonna get herself in trouble here down the road with jumping into situations without thinking...

I'm about 2 hours in, so I'd say I'm about ankle deep into the game. I like it so far, but I have a feeling the battles are going to become a whole lot more complicated if/when I can control an entire party of people instead of just one. I'm sure the storyline is going to take some crazy twists, so I'm certainly looking forward to that.

My general progress through the game will be relatively slow compared to the rest of the community, so I'll be behind most of you. I'm in no rush, I just want to have fun with it. :ryan: And for the record, Vanille is a beast so far!

ok.. so.. after how many hours of playing.. i'm now on chapter 5..
and all i can say is that.. THIS GAME IS FREAKIN AWESOME!! once the paradigms are introduced.. the battle is becoming enjoyable!. switch paradigms here switch paradigms there.. paradigm shift!! i'm getting addicted to the animation and the sound.. haha!. its fun.. buy and try it...

my impression for the characters.. Lightning is kickass!. Snow is just fine.. Sazh is really cool.. and i like that chocobo chick that he has.. Vanille.. is it me or she is a yuna(FFX-2) look alike with a rikku personality.. Hope is now getting pretty irritating because he always whines.. and Fang is hot...

Last edited:
After 3 hours, I have only reached Lake Bresha - so I've yet to be introduced to the Paradigms and the Crystarium systems yet. Without them, the gameplay just seemed rather dull and easy. The only bit of challenge I had was against the boss at the end of Chapter 2 because I ignored the left and right arm-like things - which were its main attackers. So Paradigms and Crystarium - I'm looking forward to them.

What can I say about the visuals? It is astonishingly beautiful and clear. The opening scene got straight to the point. I'm really loving Lightning and Sazh. Sazh is just hilarious to watch, while Lightning's punches on Snow have proven to be entertaining as well. Snow and Vanille are alright - they're certainly not my favourites, but I can see myself quickly growing to like them. As for Hope - grrr. I'm sick of him already. Yes, you're mad at Snow - yell at him then! Quit moaning about it to yourself!

EDIT: Deleted something that may possibly be a spoiler.

Last edited:
I'm now about halfway through Chapter 5, and the sooner I get this one over with, the better - a party consisting of my two least favourite characters is just plain cruelty. Whilst I do not approve of Hope becoming Lightning's groupie/adopted son, I DO approve of her letting him take point - all the enemies are likely to come from the front, after all. Perhaps something will skewer him, and that will be the end of that. Those dog creatures ARE very vicious, after all...well, one can but Hope.

Also, I have a question to anyone who is further in the game than me: are they EVER going to change the battle theme?! Its doing my head in!

I've been listening to the OST...there are some pretty nice tracks mixed in with the unspeakable garbage. I expect they're going to be one-off events or boss battles, though...still, its redeemed it a little in my eyes. Cid Raines has a pretty nice voice actor, as well. Soft spoken. Well, two good voices is something, I suppose.

I've only gotten to play for about 2 hours last night... ok... let me rephrase. I only got to play for about 30 minutes last night. The other 1 1/2 hours were spent watching cutscenes!!!! Seriously. I can't just "play" for 5 minutes before I have to watch another 10-15 minute cut scene. Does this get any better? It's driving me insane. I can't enjoy playing the game because I keep getting interrupted! I know I can skip the cut scenes, but for my first play through I need to see them for the story. Does it get better? Or will I be continually interrupted every 5 minutes for the entire game?

I have worked out how the Paradigms work now - and so far I am rather liking it. I had to face that Warmech and I hadn't grown accustomed to the Paradigms yet, so I lost that battle to it rather embarrassingly. Now I get the general gist of it - and I have to agree. It brings a greater degree of enjoyment to the battles, especially during the boss battles. I'm just using Relentless Assault primarily.

Right now, I'm looking forward to running into Fang - and playing as her of course. The story is going at a slightly slow pace - but it's rather good so far. I've yet to meet any of the major Sanctum villains though, but I'm looking forward to it.

I don't find Hope annoying (I don't have the game, but watching it on other sites FTW :ryan:) After all he's gone through, I think he deserved to behave in that way. And loving the new battle system, simpler for a change, and it's a change :awesome:

OST - loving it, and really suiting the game.

I find Vanille's English voice actor a bit not suiting the character. Australian? Totally loving the others so far.

Oh, and Sazh's chocobo <333

I got the buff/debuff roles (can't remember names), and I was so confused as to why I couldn't get anyone to stagger. Then I used the debuff role, and cheered as I watched Sazh stagger the thing in five seconds flat.

Figuring these things out are what make this game great so far.

free roaming at last at pulse!. the missions are so tempting that i dont want to advance the story yet.. i love slaying this monsters for those who crystalize.. and i love spamming paradigms when i encounter this monsters...

relentless assault, delta attack and diversity are my favorite paradigms so far...

I've only gotten to play for about 2 hours last night... ok... let me rephrase. I only got to play for about 30 minutes last night. The other 1 1/2 hours were spent watching cutscenes!!!! Seriously. I can't just "play" for 5 minutes before I have to watch another 10-15 minute cut scene. Does this get any better? It's driving me insane. I can't enjoy playing the game because I keep getting interrupted! I know I can skip the cut scenes, but for my first play through I need to see them for the story. Does it get better? Or will I be continually interrupted every 5 minutes for the entire game?
Don't worry. You'll no doubt get to many parts in the game where you're in control for a long time. I mean early on the game is introducing us to the characters, the plot unraveling, the set-up of a huge story/adventure ahead of us. Of course big cut-scenes will be thrown in there throughout at critical parts of the game, so that we'll have to deal with.

But it'll come to a point where you'll be fighting for a while, or wandering, or whatever, and you'll get a cut-scene and be like "Ahhh! Thank God! Something big is gonna happen, I feel it!".

I'd say sure while it may be slow to kick off, take in all the cut-scene has to offer. Not just the graphical beauty of it, but the things taht are being said that will unravel mysteries later.

I'm near the end of Chapter 5, but you know, I only realized I was even in Chapter 5 because I peeked into my guidebook for some help. People who lamented about the game being divided into chapters (although what's wrong with that? Worked well for Devil Summoner 2)...How do you know when you're in a new chapter? :gasp:

I seriously had no effin' clue. Yeah, party members changed occasionally, but that doesn't mean it's a new chappy, right?

I kind of wanna blabber on about my first impressions so far, but I'll just sum up that I'm enjoying the game. No amount of bashing and negative points made in reviews dissuaded me from having high expectations. And so far, they're being met ^^

I'm near the end of Chapter 5, but you know, I only realized I was even in Chapter 5 because I peeked into my guidebook for some help. People who lamented about the game being divided into chapters (although what's wrong with that? Worked well for Devil Summoner 2)...How do you know when you're in a new chapter? :gasp:

The only way I could ever tell was when I had taken a break, and went to re-load the chapter. It tells you a bit of what's going on when you load a previous game file. :hmmm:

I don't know why people are saying the cutscenes are bothering them, to be frank. O.O They seem to be almost the same length as any other Final Fantasy I've played.

I also don't mind Vanille. She reminds me a bit of Rikku, but there's enough of a difference there to make me like her as her own character. I don't mind Hope, either. He's young, and he just lost his mother. Honestly, what do you expect him to do but complain, or feel angry at Snow? =/

The only way I could ever tell was when I had taken a break, and went to re-load the chapter. It tells you a bit of what's going on when you load a previous game file. :hmmm:

Ahhhh, okay...I played more or less 12 hours in my first sit-through, so I guess it makes sense I didn't see anything :wacky:

I don't know why people are saying the cutscenes are bothering them, to be frank. O.O They seem to be almost the same length as any other Final Fantasy I've played.

Odds are just the regular in-game scenes were just so effin' gorgeous, people couldn't distinguish between those and cutscenes xD

It IS pretty hard to distinguish between the cutscene graphics and the in-game graphics sometimes. Particularly with some of the scenery...it is most definetely one of the most beautiful games out there right now. If only it didn't keep on bloody spiking every now and then...

My opinion of Fang has risen significantly now that she's starting to appear a bit more, as well. The accent is somewhat off-putting, but it isn't high-pitched and horrendously shrill and on-off like Vanille's is. I quite like her attitude,
especially since she put Snow in his place by bellowing in his ear, and Lightning in hers by telling her to follow her lead and calm the hell down. XD

However...the more time goes by, the more I hate Hope. He really is a shallow, obnoxious, irritating, whiny little brat. Hopeless, is more like it. I also don't approve of
Lightning making puns on his name.
Its funny, aggravating and just plain cheesy all at the same time...

On a minor note...Yaag Rosch is pretty impressive. He's like one of the Sephiroth triplets, only more...manly. I hope he starts showing up some more...this game needs a primary antagonist, and it needs it right now.

So I didn't even realize that I'm like 3 and a half hours in and I'm on chapter 3 already. I just got to the point where you're at the lake place and now we have abilities. This is exciting, yet intimidating as to how I'm going to develop the party. When I play tonight, I'll have to wrap my head around it a little to come up with a plan.

Back