[V2] Last Movie You've Seen

Thor: The Dark World

I quite enjoyed this, to my surprise. Fairly well-paced plot, good fight scenes, a little bit of humour here and there for good effect, and bam, a movie not quite as good as the original, but still better than any of the X-Men or Spiderman movies. I don't see what the fuss is about with Loki - there are infinitely better depictions of infinitely better comic book supervillains floating around, after all - but I did enjoy the interaction between him and Thor, and the lack of sickening, poorly-acted romance gave this a one-up over Iron Man 3 for me. Malekith was disappointing, but...eh, I'd never even heard of him before the movie anyway. It was dismally predictable at points, but that was to be expected, really...I don't think it's even supposed to be surprising, despite being played to that effect. So, maybe a 7/10 or so from me.

gravity

saw it in imax 3d and thought it was incredible. it looked absolutely stunning, which was down to impressive visual effects and an incredible use of the camera. i know there are loads of invisible edits in there, but you could probably count the rest of the edits. i don't think there was a single one for the whole opening 10 minutes or so, and it carries on in the same manner for the rest of the film. i think it gave a very realistic portrayal of what it's like to be in space (major life-threatening disasters aside) by having very free and fluid camera movements, and the long shots mixed with that well to build tension and give a sense of claustrophobia. i'm interested to see what it's like in 2d just so i can compare it. i wasn't totally blown away by the 3d, but i think it probably added a massive amount of depth to the setting which helps with the beauty of it all

^
I have to say, Gravity was fantastic. I was blown away by the visuals and Sandra Bollock was pretty spectacular as well. If she's not up for best actress for this then I just don't know... I'm going to be seeing it in 3D this Sunday with my parents who haven't seen it yet. So yah, I'm seeing it a second time. It was that good. Do not wait for a DVD release of this movie, it's REALLY something to experience on the big screen. If you love movies, do yourself a favor and see this one.

anchorman 2
of course it isn't as good as the first; a comedy sequel is almost impossible to get right because everyone wants the same jokes, but something fresh at the same time; but it's still very funny. the biggest problem really is that it just doesn't have as many memorable one-liners as the original, but the jokes it does have are plentiful and (for the most part) hilarious. the script is really quite similar to taladega nights in some ways, with a news setting rather than nascar.
unfortunately brick is really shit this time. i think they realised how well he was received from the first one and that everyone loved him, so they tried far too hard to replicate that. he also had a love interest in this one (played by kristen wiig) who was also shit because she tried to be brick 2. he did have one or two great brick moments, but they really tried to force him too much.

maniac
i've had this on my to watch list for some time and finally got around to it a couple of days ago. it's a basic serial killer story about a weird guy with mental problems who kills women. the really good twist on it is that it's almost all told through his eyes; i.e. the camera is the killer (meaning you are the killer as you watch). it takes a little getting used to at first, but it's a really good hook that carries the film well. the times when you do see the killer (in reflections or in a rare "out of body experience"), elijah wood is brilliant; he was really creepy and will probably make you believe that frodo had a psychopathic alter-ego.

The second Hobbit movie, over the weekend.

It was much better than the first. More action packed, funnier, more dramatic, etc. (Unfortunately, the first suffered from terrible pacing. It was boring up until the very end.) Although, this one earned a smaller opener than the first movie, which isn't surprising.

I'll definitely see the last movie next December. I have a feeling it will have a proper close to the "first" trilogy. Oh, and I'm sure it'll be a profiting giant. :lew:

I don't watch many movies. The last newest one I've seen was The Three Stooges the movie. I caught a rerun of Home Alone 2 on TV the other day

Forgot to update this...

The last film I saw in the cinema would've been The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Having enjoyed both the last Hobbit film and LotR and read the book, I was quite excited to see this next installment... And it didn't disappoint me. I'm not going to go into details due to spoilers, but the pacing has been definitely kicked up a notch. The key cast were on point(Martin Freeman is still brilliantly cast as Bilbo; I can't imagine someone else as Gandalf), with the newer additions not letting us down.

Of course, there are a few slip ups(a certain character was shoe-horned way too much into this film) and the CGI was a bit cloggy and messy at sections. Otherwise, I very much enjoyed Desolation.

As for films I've just watched recently, the last was The Pianist, with Adrian Brody. For those who haven't seen it, it's a true story about a Polish-Jewish Pianist during world war II who is caught up in the anti semetic actions of the German third Reich. It's a stunning movie which will definitely leave an impact on you.

Brody himself is fantastic in the titular role(I believe he won an oscar for it) and his supporting cast are certainly up to snuff.

I recommend the two films to anyone looking for something to watch.

Forgot to update this...

The last film I saw in the cinema would've been The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Having enjoyed both the last Hobbit film and LotR and read the book, I was quite excited to see this next installment... And it didn't disappoint me. I'm not going to go into details due to spoilers, but the pacing has been definitely kicked up a notch. The key cast were on point(Martin Freeman is still brilliantly cast as Bilbo; I can't imagine someone else as Gandalf), with the newer additions not letting us down.

Of course, there are a few slip ups(a certain character was shoe-horned way too much into this film) and the CGI was a bit cloggy and messy at sections. Otherwise, I very much enjoyed Desolation.

As for films I've just watched recently, the last was The Pianist, with Adrian Brody. For those who haven't seen it, it's a true story about a Polish-Jewish Pianist during world war II who is caught up in the anti semetic actions of the German third Reich. It's a stunning movie which will definitely leave an impact on you.

Brody himself is fantastic in the titular role(I believe he won an oscar for it) and his supporting cast are certainly up to snuff.

I recommend the two films to anyone looking for something to watch.

This was also my latest movie watched and compared to the first movie it has been beefed up quite a bit with fights (which was to be expected), the journey was great and even thou its a long movie it doesn't feel like it, and they left the movie off on a very logical point :D!

I can't wait till the next one and won't spoil where Smaug ends for anyone who hasn't read the book or the older movie. 10/10 Smaug, first movie 9/10

I'll be here again soon after I watch Anchorman 2!

Man of Steel

Admittedly, I did like it but not as much as I was hoping to. I feel like the movie would've been better if done by someone else. I thought the writing was good enough with the exceptions of the dialogue at times. I thought Henry Cavill made a pretty convincing Superman. And I did like the action scenes even though I feel the over abundance of people dying was less about creating a dramatic atmosphere and more about making it look cool or something like that. I didn't really like the visual look of the movie. And I really hated the Superman suit. It was less "savior of earth" and more fashion model. I'd probably give it a B.

I watched Wolf Children and From Up On Poppy Hill in one night. I absolutely loved Wolf Children. :) It's directed by Hosada, the director of of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars. It's been a while since I've seen these two films, so it's difficult to make an accurate comparison, but it was at least as good as both of these, if not slightly better. Upon Poppy Hill had all of the Ghibli charm, and the frustrating open ending (the romantic relationships are always left unresolved).

I last saw 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' and I gotta say, it was pretty d@mn good! Not that I was expecting it to be bad, but it was better than I thought. I am definitely excited for the final part because it certainly keeps you thirsty after seeing it!

I watched The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug last night. It was certainly better than the first, which dragged on somewhat, but I still didn't enjoy it enough to buy the DVD and watch it again, which is a shame as the Lord of the Rings films are amongst my absolute favourite. :/ I know that Peter Jackson has added in quite a bit from Tolkien's notes; some of these additions were fascinating! I enjoyed the relationship between Tauriel and Kili too. However, the film lacked pace, and the plot meandered a little too much for me. One review online states that the battle scenes are less purposeful than those in LotR because they do not drive the plot forwards and/or do not teach us anything about the characters. To a certain extent, I agree with this. I did NOT like the fact Legolas was a jackass with very little emotion, no wit and no heart. Peter Jackson's direction demonstrated yet again that Legolas is incredible in the battlefield, but I felt Orlando Bloom was playing a shadow as opposed to the character we know and love. I also felt that Stephen Fry's character had been plucked out from an unpleasant period in British history. He didn't fit into Middle Earth!

my last one was the secret life of walter mitty. i thought it was really excellent. i had been really excited when i first saw the trailer a couple of months ago, but my excitement had cooled considerably come release date, so i didn't really have high expectations of it. i found it to be very inspirational and it had me smiling for the duration. i thought ben stiller was really likable as an introverted lead, and kristen wiig was interesting enough as his motivation. it was beautifully shot and helped along by a fantastic sound track. the scene when he jumps onto a helicopter to space oddity by david bowie may be one of my favourite scenes of this year's cinema.

captain america: the winter soldier

the trailers hadn't really done anything for me. my main problem was that it didn't look at all like a superhero film, but more like a spy thriller. in the end that was exactly what it was like and it worked completely. it was a very good script that built on an what has already been built by the previous films. i wasn't a fan of the first cap film because i felt that captain america felt like like an outdated hero, but by the time the avengers came around i thought that they wrote his character very well and brought that 1940s patriotic attitude into the 21st century well, and they extended that into the new film again.
my main problem was that there was never really an incentive for other avengers not to be called into the story. i thought tony stark in particular would have felt the need to include himself.

it has set up a lot for the future of the cinematic universe and i'm particularly interested to see where they take agents of s.h.i.e.l.d.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I've seen it about three or four times, however, the last of those times was at least 10 years ago as we had it on VHS. I used to really like it, after watching it again I have revised my opinion somewhat. The only thing great about it is the soundtrack. It comes across as Britain trying to do Tarantino, and when the Brits try to copy the Americans they generally fail. Some of the dialogue is good enough, but some of it is badly delivered, and some of it just bad. There are a few thibgs wrong with it that are problems Ritchie generally has. There's his upper middle class obsession with East London hardmen that borders on homoerotic. Most of his characters have soubriquets. This is probably to make it seem more authentic, but it comes across as stupid, 'atchet 'arry, gary the spade, Jack the potato etc etc. The characters are barely developed etc. I also think they never said shootuhs. How can you have a cockney gangster movie and not mention shootuhs.

"This is the End"

Was a bit ridiculous and the entire script was just what you'd expect when Seth Rogan is in it. But fun watch I guess, just wish they hadn't of been so heavy on the rapture, the ending was your typical song-and-dance ending 80% of American films have.

it has set up a lot for the future of the cinematic universe and i'm particularly interested to see where they take agents of s.h.i.e.l.d.

I stopped watching that when I realised they were just baiting people into watching the films with no intention of at least involving the film cast.

The Hobbit Desolation Of Smaug.

Really really enjoyed it though through the whole film you know that its all being built up to the third film with the Orcs readying for war and the final clash with the dragon. I can safely say im enjoying the hobbit far more than LOtR so far. I think a big factor in that is Martin Freeman and his amazing portrayal of Bilbo. I think hes one of the most interesting actors to watch on screen. At times i did feel like the film was a bit CGI heavy. Its just my personal preference but i wouldve liked to have seen more real practical effects. I was a little dissapointed that the Orcs were all CGI. But neverless i really enjoyed the film and cant wait for the final installment.

Olympus has fallen

I was very surprised at how much i liked this film. To start with im not a huge fan of Gerard Butler but he played his part as well as could be expected i thought. Its still a bit strange hearing his Scottish accent when hes supposed to be american but it didnt bother me. Its just a decent all around action film. I read someone in this thread someone describing it as die hard in the white house and id agree with that statement completely. Fun and entertaining and doesnt take itself too seriously but isnt a piss take at the same time.

The wee man

Second time watching this film. I really enjoyed it both times and was genuinely surprised to see its low scores on IMDB which would suggest its a terrible movie but its really very good. Its based on the true story of the life of Paul Ferris a notorious figure in the Glasgow underworld and ARthur Thompson the so called Godfather of Glasgow. I think Martin Compston is pretty fantastic in his leading role but hes the kinda actor who seems to shine in every role he plays.

Man of Steel.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I was expecting. As much as there were some really good parts, the film just seemed rushed leaving me underwhelmed for the most part.

The Fourth Kind

I watched it the night before with my boyfriend,

and holy shit that movie is trippy. I was so amazed, interested, and a little confused too.

It came out in 2009, but I've never even heard of it before. I saw it on Netflix and began watching it.

I was so in love with the movie that I want to do more research over it :hmmm:

It gave me some nightmares of getting kidnapped by aliens though :gasp:

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

Basically Johnny Knoxville's Bad Grandpa skit for Jackass taken to feature length proportions with a plot. Moments were hilarious, other moments were 'meh'. Things like this work in small doses and not film so much. I found my attention trailing off now and again but it was good for what it was.

Back