Who's your favourite artist?

Okay, solo artist time here...and again I end up with a short list. Keep in mind that unlike the band thread, I may not own all of an artist's albums (yet).

Ozzy (His Black Sabbath stuff was great, but I've been nuts enough to buy all of his albums; not all of theirs :p)
Alice Cooper (Hello, godfather of shock rock.)
Weird Al (Come on. Who doesn't love this guy's stuff?)
Phil Collins (SHUT UP!)
Serj Tankian (If you do not love this guy's music, you have no sense of crazy.)
Simon & Garfunkel (Because harmony is win.)
William Shatner (I had to put this one in for humor value.)
Danny Elfman (Even if he was in Oingo Boingo and he's only done some singing since then, I still think he has one of the most amazing voices ever.)

At the moment it's Lady Gaga.
Wonderful voice, awesome songwriter.
I love her fashion sense, too. Man, I wish I could conceive some of the outfits she does.
She also plays piano quite well. I think a lot of people underestimate her.
"Someone once asked me, "Lady Gaga do you have a dick?". And I said yes I do, and it's much bigger than yours". <3

Demi Lovato for sure, a hard woroking self song writing you girl who is way to underrated.

Unleass she's singing with the Jonas Brothers I feel like no one pays attention to her as an artist I want to hear her songs on the radio not disney I want to see her videos on MTV or fuse! I think this girl has way more talent than Miley Cyrus does -- yet I haven't heard her on the radio yet...;)

She has a great voice for one and another thing is she sings like no other 18 she ranks right up nest to Charice and Leona Lewis, and her lyrics are both unique and beautiful.

I really hope the best for her.

Tupac Shakur (1971-1996) (RIP)

This Is The King Of Rap

Tupac is one of the best-selling artists in the world his rapping ability was amazing and his lyrics were extrodinary.

When people talk about Tupac Shakur they say that he was a gangster who raps about killing people and insulting other rappers.Well that is kind of true but that was only one side of Tupac.......That was only after he got out of prison.......Tupac blamed Biggie Smalls (former friend) (aka Notorius) for setting him up when he got shot 5 time.....he survived and was later put in prison for something.......When he came out he blamed Biggie Smalls for setting him up and went on to insult him and other rappers and people from the east coast!

But that was only one Tupac

Tupac is widely known amogst fans for his outstanding lyrics......which talks about growing up in such harsh enviroments, giving hope to people etc..........Tupac was also a poet and wrote a variety of poems standing up for the minority and giving hope.........His rapping is highly unlike rappers these days who just rap about Money,Cars,Jewellry,Girls etc

"Tupac:A kid came up to me and said you are my hero, I replied no Malcom X is your hero Martin Luther-king is your hero"

"Biggie Smalls: Ask 10 people who Tupac was you'll get 10 different answers, one minute he was a revolutionary person giving hope. The next he was a thug, but most of all he was a person who would be always showing you love"

RIP
_____pacpacpacpacpacpacpac
___pacpacpacpacpacpacpacpacpac
_pacpacpacpac______pacpacpacpac
_pacpacpacpac_____pacpacpacpac
________________pacpacpacpac
______________pacpacpacpac
___________pacpacpacpac
_________pacpacpacpac
_______pacpacpacpac
_____pacpacpacpac
___pacpacpacpac
__pacpacpacpac
_pacpacpacpacpacpacpacpacpacpac

Bruce Springsteen

His lyrics just hit home.
I know they are said to be tailored for the "blue-collar" American, but I think they have an equal impact and importance for pople over here in Europe.
He's just a great story teller and musician.
One of the greatest live acts ever and one of the few who's actually worth paying 120€ for a ticket.The 3 Times I saw him in concert were hands dow 3 of the most amazing nights of my life.

My favorite artist would be Eminem

because he is daring!:sup:

Also he is the greatest white rapper of all time! (for me)

He bust out with very sick rhymes and verses in all songs he been!

The lyrics also elaborate what happen to him and what he truly feels.

Latest album would be Recovery which has fast beats and raps! :holyshit:

The Smiths.
I really enjoy Morrissey's song writing. Everything seems to depress him, he lives in a world without hope or love, but lots of sex. The sadness of Morrissey's lyrics and tone is contrasted with Johnny Marr's guitar which is normally quite cheery. Marr is a fantastic guitarist, his riffs are so heavily layered like in How Soon Is Now. There's quite often some humour in their songs, often self-depricating, it makes you smile but not laugh, because laughter would be out of place.

My favourite artist
My guilty pleasure, Robbie Williams. A lot of people think he is lame etc but I think the is really clever (well he was... his latest sonds aren't so good) things like "let me entertain you" are classics that anyone can get into. Plus he's hot and cheeky ;)

At the current moment, A SKylit Drive. They are my current obsession, music-wise. I don't know whether it's Micheal Jagmin's uniqueness of his voice, or the songs in general, but there's just something about them that keeps me from listening to any other bands. :ryan:

My favorite band would have to be Days of the New. I love acoustics and Travis Meeks really hits it home with his lyrics and singing ability. This band sparked me to learn how to play the guitar.

My favorite artist would have to be Del tha Funkee Homosapien(or Deltron). Del rocks. His rap isn't gangsta rap(which is lame, by the way) but his own. From video games to an entire CD about what the year 3030 would be like. Simply awesome. My signature quote is from one of his songs.

Stevie Nicks

I love her so much. All of her albums are amazing, and I love her lyrical style. In Your Dreams is going to be amazing. She has a mystical style that is alluring. And her work with Fleetwood Mac is amazing too. I think it's easy to tell that she's had a huge influence on most modern female artists, and that we owe her a great debt.

And come on, it helps that she says some hilarious stuff. Unintentionally but still.

John Petrucci.

There's probably tons I could say about this guy and his amazing guitar playing. Dream Theater's song "Caught In A Web" was the gateway that opened the doors for me into pretty much all the music I own today. When hearing the unique melange of virtuoistic ability displayed on the song, it was unlike anything I have ever heard before. And the one thing that left the lasting impression on me was the guitar playing.

Clean and immaculate, John was a master at his craft; even dating back to 1989 when their first album was released. Hearing him play set the wheels in motion and led me down the path of deciding that I want to become a musician.

Tori Amos, for sure. Her lyrics, her Pianist skill, the songs she decides to write and sing that are sadly less than mainstream but are what make her who she is, and teach all of her fans who she is and let us learn from her life.

She is a true and real genuine artist, which is so rare for us all to find these days, I think real music died with the 70's and Artists like Tori bring that back.

She's been through so much, and yet she strongly carries on through her life and even better she is able to sing about them, with her own words, and stands up for what she believes in.

Tom Delonge.

Just cant get better than his musical creativity

@Annluas
MOD EDIT: Can you please put more effort into your post? This is a spam post in a post count section. Please elaborate more on why he is great, perhaps. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to lie, nor be ashamed of it, but it's got to be Lady Gaga.

I used to hate her before I properly got in to her. I thought she was just churning out typical dance tracks you'd hear in a club with her first two singles. I inadvertently "had to" stand and watch her live at a music festival a few years ago and, almost instantly, a switch was turned on in me. She's just something else. She blew me away, a hater in the crowd, simply with the perfect balance of dancing, singing, with good songs, crowd interaction and fantastic costume changes.

Still sound like your typical popstar performance? Your typical popstar doesn't go from piano ballads in a school competition to meat dresses, Royal Vatiety performances, repealing policies in Government, become the creative director of Polaroid and end up in the tabloids every.single.day. As well as stirring up a lot of headlines, though, she's constantly cranking out good-quality songs and they're only getting better.

With one of the best voices in pop right now (she actually can hold a tune, her voice is fantastically developed) and a brilliant musical talent (very gifted with a piano!) she's not your run-of-the-mill star. She writes her own songs, has NEVER performed unless it was live, and never fails to disappoint. She's unstoppable; her world tour has gone on for over a year and a half, during which point she's accomplished most of her goals and even written a new album whilst on the road.

Laugh if you want but this woman's not going anywhere anytime soon - get used to her!

Favourite Male Artist
Easily Elliott Smith, he was just on a totally different plane to every other guy out there his whispery voice, his lyrics were poetry, and his guitar work was first class. His later work then became more layered and with some synthetic sounds, but it was just an evolution of his music that was expected after he moved from his basement to and actual studio, and he still kept the integrity and heart from his original work.

Favourite Female Artist
Laura Marling at the minute though I can't ever see that changing, her work is more acoustic and just more well put together than most nowadays. She has an incredible voice and both of her albums showed unique styles that were never boring.

Favourite Band
The Mars Volta easily, I'd be here all night if I tried to describe how much I loved them

My favorite is the one rnb singer of all time Ne-yo.
He is my favorite because he has an amazing voice and good in composing songs. And sometimes I can relate to his songs because of the message of the lyrics. Thats why hes my favorite

I'm not going to lie, nor be ashamed of it, but it's got to be Lady Gaga.

I used to hate her before I properly got in to her. I thought she was just churning out typical dance tracks you'd hear in a club with her first two singles. I inadvertently "had to" stand and watch her live at a music festival a few years ago and, almost instantly, a switch was turned on in me. She's just something else. She blew me away, a hater in the crowd, simply with the perfect balance of dancing, singing, with good songs, crowd interaction and fantastic costume changes.

Still sound like your typical popstar performance? Your typical popstar doesn't go from piano ballads in a school competition to meat dresses, Royal Vatiety performances, repealing policies in Government, become the creative director of Polaroid and end up in the tabloids every.single.day. As well as stirring up a lot of headlines, though, she's constantly cranking out good-quality songs and they're only getting better.

With one of the best voices in pop right now (she actually can hold a tune, her voice is fantastically developed) and a brilliant musical talent (very gifted with a piano!) she's not your run-of-the-mill star. She writes her own songs, has NEVER performed unless it was live, and never fails to disappoint. She's unstoppable; her world tour has gone on for over a year and a half, during which point she's accomplished most of her goals and even written a new album whilst on the road.

Laugh if you want but this woman's not going anywhere anytime soon - get used to her!

I totally agree with this - Gaga is also my favourite music artist for these reasons. I would love to see her live someday; I just adore her.

As for a male artist... I have no idea :raye:

This has changed a bit since last time I guess

Elliot Smith is still one of my favourite male artists, he's just joined by a few more this time around. Nick Cave is phenomenal in every single facet of his artistic output. He can convey a thousand emotions with one muttered word, whereas most people couldn't express an iota of feeling in a thousand. He bares everything in his songs, and shies away from nothing. He has a surprisingly large vocal range too, performing ballads and classic rock with ease. His work is very dark and highly sexual, but comes across as told by someone who has suffered through these things for his entire life. Not like those angsty teeny boppers who "omg I got a tattoo with your name across my heart, in this incredibly heavy handed metaphor for lust and longing. Also, did I mention I got a tattoo of your name on my arm?"

Laura Marling is still my favourite female I think, though I have not listened to her in a while.

Hands down, my favourite musical artist is Damien Rice. Always and forever.

Anyone else a fan?

Back