What was the last DVD you bought?

Kandy-Sugar

ღWhite Roséღ ♀
Veteran
Gil
This was sort of inspired from the Last Album you bought/downloaded thread in the Music Studio.

Now this thread is to discuss the movies or television series that you have bought on DVD only.

Downloading is illegal so we shan't discuss any of that here.

I don't want any spammish posts such as:

'I bought Billy Madison. It rocks!'

Any such posts that are under two lines or are spammy in general will be deleted without notice.

Use this template, (which is much like the 'Last Movie You've Seen' template), if you're unsure of what to say about the DVD you've bought:

Movie:

Rating:

Cast:

Year it was made:

About the movie:

Overall score:

---

I'll post mine later as it's 11:30pm and I should be in bed. :gonk:

Last edited:
Twilight

I bought this back in September, but I don't really buy many DVDs since everyone else gets me them for my birthday and Christmas. I'm glad I can watch this whenever I want since I fell in love with it as soon as I watched it at the cinemas. Plus, it was on sale at HMV for £5 and I could hardly say no, right? Loved the chemistry between Bella and Edward, it's amazing how much they have!

10/10

Mulan (Special Edition)

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove Mulan! It's my favorite 'Disney Princess' movie. In China, A war is going on between the Chinese and the Huns. The emporer declares that one man from every family shall join the army. When Mulan finds out that her father has to re-join the army (even though he is old, feeble, and is still suffering from and old wound) she sneaks off and joins the army in his place! But if the army finds out shes a girl, the penalty is death.

The music is good, the story is good, and there are even a good couple of laughs. Go buy this NAO.

10/10

Movie: The Princess Bride

Rating: PG

Cast: Cary Elwes and Robin Wright

Year it was made: 1987

About the movie: This is simply the most beautiful and funny fairytale ever!

It's about a young Farm boy named Wesley and a girl named Buttercup.

They fall in love and he goes off to find his fortune so that they can get married.

One day she finds out that Wesley was murdered and she vows to never love again.

Five years later she is engaged to the Prince.

She is then kidnapped by a trio who's leader wants to start a war with the Prince.

A man in a black ninja looking outfit follows them...

SPOILER below (spoiler tags didn't work. <_<)

and we soon realise that it is in fact Wesley who has come back to save his Buttercup.

In the end they finally get to be together after slaying a few rodents and a Prince. XD

Overall score: 10/10

Last edited:
Late Night With The Loose Women

Bought this for my gran for Christmas, but I couldn't resist watching and so "tested" it. Had such a good laugh watching it. I really laughed so hard about the issues they were discussing. People who watch Loose Women during the daytime will understand what I mean lol, though these issues were more explicit and deeper. I'm sure my gran's going to love this for Christmas!

9/10

Movie: Legally Blonde

Rating: M

Cast: Reese Witherspoon

Year it was made: -

About the movie: I was looking for this at the video store tonight but could only find Legally Blonde 2.

So I went to the other section of the store to see if I could buy a copy.

I found one luckily and it was fairly cheap so I bought it and now I'm happy. XD

This is one of my favourite movies with Reese Witherspoon.

Last edited:
I bought 2

American Beauty: I saw this a while back for the first time and was expecting it to be crap, but it was a lot better than I thought it was and the ending was pretty crazy as well. Really good film, enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would
8.5/10

Lost Boys

I love this film so much, but I havent seen it for years, so I finally purchased it and Im gunna get it watched at some point. I suppse this film set my thing for vampires off really. Love everything about it. It was one of my first ever favourite films and its still up there 10/10

Movie: Superbad

Cast: Seth Rogen

About the movie: I loved this movie when it came out!

I just had to buy it to add to my DVD collection that I have happening here.

It has to be the funniest movie I have ever seen, aside from a select few such as The Hangover. XD

I simply love the cops!

They're so funny when they're mucking around and then they hear cop sirens and go, 'Shit the cops!'

I laughed my head off. XD

Seth is freakin' funny in the movie! 'We could be that mistake!'

Awesomeness!

Inglourious Basterds

I told my Dad that he simply had to see this movie so I actually walked into town and bought a copy just to show it to him. I buy a lot of DVD's but I admittedly download newer movies mainly because of money constraints. This movie however, is one of the few movies that I would spend good money on. Without exaggerating, it is one of my favorite movies ever and along side Gran Torino it is the best movie I've seen this year.

The best way I can describe it is as a Western movie in a World War II setting. I have to give props to Tarantino for making a WWII movie which focused on neither the holocaust nor the Battle of Normandy. Further props go to Christoph Waltz for his tremendous performance as a Nazi officer. A final mention should go to the use of different languages throughout the film, it gave it a very authentic feel and I found the use of changing languages mid scene very effective.

tl;dr: Great movie.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete
Unrated

Well, this is a Blu-ray, so it's technically not a DVD but I don't think that matters :wacky:

Anyway, I can't believe how much of an improvement to the graphics this was. I was skeptical about Blu-ray discs at first, I figured it was just a scam and a waste of money. I'm really impressed, though! With the new scenes, the movie feels a whole lot more complete now. Now that I look on when I was watching the original on DVD, it feels like a huge chunk was missing. I obviously took a while to buy this, so with this new purchase I got a Final Fantasy XIII feature, which I wasn't expecting. I'd obviously seen it before, but it was nice to have.

8/10

Last edited:
The Hangover

Such a brilliant film, I think it's one of the best DVDs I've ever bought. Even seeing it a second and third time it's just fantastic. I think the most appealing thing about it is that it feels like they're just modern characters that shit has just happened to them, there's nothing extreme or over the top throughout the film and the bit's that are funny are just hilarious. Alan has to be one of the funniest and best played characters I've ever seen. :D

Well it was bought for me as a xmas gift from my bessie mate.

Its Mansfield Park. Its such a lovely film and Im really getting into my Jane Austin lol. Fanny Price is one of my fav fictional characters, but shes the least fav Jane Austin character apprantly! Its funny, romantic and so tragic all at the same time. A real girlie film!

1000000/10

Title: Inglourious Basterds
Rating: R

The last DVD I bought was Inglourious Basterds for my Dad for Christmas. We've watched it twice since then. He loves that movie and I do too. It's hilarious and intense.

Basically I agree with everything SaShman said. The actor performances in Inglourious Basterds is amazing and outstanding. Christoph Waltz as Col. Hans Landa was mind blowing. He literally forced you to hate him by how great he played the part.
Eli Roth as Sgt. Donny Donowitz(AKA "The Bear Jew") was absolutely amazing!
And Brad Pitt as Lt. Aldo Raine... he couldn't have picked a better actor to play him. Pitt really gave you that southern vibe and you really believed that he was Aldo Raine. One of his best performances to date, in my opinion.
B.J. Novak as Pfc. Smithson Utivich you didn't really see him much, but damn he was cool too.

But my favorite had to have been Til Schweiger as Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz. He was even more amazing then everybody else. You really felt his fury for the Nazis. And honestly, he was THE most bad ass of them all. My favorite line of his is;
" Say 'auf Wiedersehen' to your Nazi balls."

That was like the ultimate "HELL YEAH!" scene of all time.

My rating: 10/10

Movie:Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2

Rating:18 (R)

Cast:Uma Thurman, Lucy liu, David Caradine

Year it was made:Dont know when it was filmed but released 2003/2004

About the movie:
The Bride is a former assassin and lover of a man named Bill her former boss. Pregnant, and wanting to move beyond the life of an assassin to raise the child, she left him, and was about to marry another man. Bill and his other assassins, the four Deadly Vipers, arrive at the El Paso wedding chapel during the wedding rehearsal, and massacre everyone at the chapel. She attempts to tell her would-be killer Bill that the baby is his, but he shoots her in the side of her head, leaving her in a coma. she awakens in a hospital finding out to her shock, her child is no longer with her. one by one she hunts down the 5 that did this to her

Favourite part of the film's: My favourite part of the series is in Vol.1 where you are introduced to Gogo Yubari, a young associate of O-Ren Ishii, is a severely disturbed 17-year-old schoolgirl who delights in killing, she offer's a drunken man to "screw her" the man agree's with delight before Gogo disembowels him

There is also 8mins of Anime in that film witch is some of the best i have ever seen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd2gG7arxfg&feature=related
(this is the 8 Min Japanese version)

Overall score: This film is down right amazing you should be ashamed if you have not seen this
11.5/10

Movie: Xena Boxset

Cast: -

About the movie: I bought all six seasons and I'm currently working my way through the first.

It was my favourite show on T.V as a child and I'm really enjoying it all over again so far!

Pretty much about a woman named Xena, who was known for her dark past and such and then one day decides that she is going to turn her life around and do good things from now on.

It was... The Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Great movie and portrays the characters of Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Steve Jobs (Apple inc.) very well. It has some factual flaws though. =/

Tyson
The documentary about his life that is also narrated by him.
I love this movie. I watched it over 5 times already...
Mike Tyson's life is like a great Shakespearean tragedy...
He is and will always be the greatest boxer that has ever lived.
But he himself is the one that screwed up his everlasting legacy.

Movie: The Neverending Story

Rating: PG

Cast: -

About the movie: I was quite obssessed with this movie when I was younger.

I loved the story of Atreyu and his quest to stop 'The Nothing'. It's an older movie, so the effects and such aren't the best, but that doesn't stop it from being an awesome story.

It's pretty much about a young boy who reads a book and the story within comes to life.

Last edited:
Lost series 1 boxset
I havent recieved it yet :( Got it for good price on Ebay. Think its abit messed up Im going to Oz soon and Im watching s series based on a plane crash XD

Bourne Trilogy.

Cast: Matt Damon, Julia Stiles, others...

Year: 02 - 05 I think.

About: I had seen the first and second one years ago, but barely remembered the second one at all. This is also the only movie(s) that I actually am okay with Matt Damon. He does a very superb job of making me believe that the events are actually happening.

Perfect music to go with it as well. They put in songs at the perfect times to get you pumped for/during a fight sequence, and an ending song that makes you realize that nothing is over, and the story could theoretically go on for a few more years.

Back