Black Mage
Terra
Cloud Strife
FFXIV
Shu
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Hey folks,

Similar to the Xbox 360 thread I just created, I'm actually looking to be purchasing a ps3 coming up here soon towards christmas time. While I had one before I only had minimal games, so I'm creating a top 5 games, to help a prospective ps3 gamer like myself try a few games out.

I've played and loved the following (when I had a ps3 the first time).

Shu's Top 5:

1) Assassins Creed
Reason: Visually beautiful, who didn't want to jump roof to roof and stealth kill people at your pleasing. The story line was pretty good with Desmond (sp?) but I am hoping for an even better one for the 2nd addition.

2) Darkness
Reason: Man, what can I say Jackie was awesome. The story line was very compelling, and very "dark" natured. I love playing an evil character.. so to speak. Definitely was up there as best games of all time.

3) Drake's Fortune
Reason: Tomb Raider-esc Game, but had a lot of fine elements that separated it from other games like it. I enjoyed the combat system greatly and the story line dragged only a little.. but nothing to make you not want to play it.

4) Oblivion
Reason: Smoooooth game, but it definitely took a good bit of getting used to. I hated the fact I had to rely on the book so much. If I didn't have that book, I would have been lost for sure.

5) I'm reserving this for all the backward compatible ps2 games I can play on it, because I still think PS2 was much more solid in the game category than the PS3 is. Hopefully that will change here with the next year or two.

1) Eternal Sonata- A great RPG with great story and characters. If you like action RPG that you have to play Eternal Sonata. There are lot's of playable characters and you have to battle a lot to level up.

2) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots- A great game. You have to play Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

3) Assassin's Creed- A great game that looks beautiful. You have to play Assassin's Creed.

4) Folklore- Action RPG that you have to play.

5) Soul Calibur IV- Many characters have their story that follows great battles. You have to play Soul Calibur IV.

Hey guys, let's make sure and try and put a 'reason' as to why the games are in your Top 5, shall we? :) Thanks!

[Thread Stickied]

1) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Reason: Simply put, it's probably the best PS3 title to date, it's very hard to find a game that could match it. The storyline is fantastic and even better the Uncharted which in itself was an amazing game, the new characters are developed fantastically well and there's a strong relationship between the new characters and older characters first introduced in Uncharted, yet the older characters have been developed even further. The graphics, are second to none, in my opinion at the moment it's the best visual looking game out there, that's including all next gen titles. Multiplayer is relaxing, addictive and most importantly, fun. The gameplay itself is also better than Uncharted in every aspect. Naughty Dog really nailed this title and the hard work has paid off.

2) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Reason: Pretty much the same as above, only Uncharted is the first in the series, a fantastic one at that. The gameplay, storyline, character development and graphics are all solid and easily makes this one of those MUST buy games, even though Uncharted 2 is out, I would still highly recommend buying Uncharted. Simply amazing series overall.

3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots
Reason: Another one of those must buy titles, I think this stands out a little more than most games, other than Uncharted and Uncharted 2, it feels more like a movie, not to say there isn't much gameplay, there is, and it's fantastic. Just the length of the cutscenes and the depth of the storyline and character development is outstanding. Plus, if you're a graphics person, this is definitely, definitely a game to purchase.

4) Fallout 3
Reason: Brilliant game, especially for those who loved Oblivion. It'll keep you going for hours upon hours, upon days, weeks and months. There's plenty to do in this game, especially if you're a perfectionist who wants to do everything possible. There's a fantastic variation and amount of primary missions and side quests, the graphics are at a very good standard for this title and the gameplay is extremely good, though that's what the game focuses on most, so it's to be expected. Plus with the new five DLC available, it'll keep people going for even longer.

5) Assassins Creed
Reason: Okay, the game is repetitive when it comes to battles and tasks/missions but if you look beyond that it's a brilliant game, the storyline is fantastic although not a solid as the above titles as it tends to run a little slower, but that's probably to do with Assassins Creed being primarily gameplay based. The graphics are solid, the voice acting is a bit dodgy mind, American accent in the middle east isn't exactly what I was expecting but heh, it shouldn't bother people that much. Overall, solid game.

Last edited:
I've only had my PS3 a year, but anyway here is mine.

Argor's top list:
1) Uncharted: Drakes Fortune.
My impressions of this game were that it was a bit like Tomb Raider, but with a lot more personality. It seemed to have the sort of laid back coolness, character, and humour that Indiana Jones has, though in different ways. The story was interesting and personal to the main character. The music was great, and the gameplay and action was fantastic.
This game had me stunned, it really did.

2) Little Big Planet.
This game is a LOT of fun to play with other people over online, or with real people in real life. I've never laughed so much in my life. There are some amazing levels people have made and uploaded.... There is a lot of crap out there too, but most are fun and provide a laugh even if they are crap . The sackboy's are customisable beyond all I had hoped for too, they release new sackboy costumes every few weeks, and you can mix and match any of the parts to make your own.
A great game to be creative on, and also a great game for a quick laugh as well.

3) Red Faction Guerilla.
Though I'm mixed about how well the story was implemented (I think they did it really badly), the rest of the game has left me hooked. The free-roaming on Mars was really fun, and smashing buildings to the ground never gets boring.

The online play is the reason I placed this in my top 5 though... It seriously is insane. You could be running along on top of an apparantly stable building, and then it would start to fall completely to the ground following lots of explosions, and another person rockets through the roof while firing bullets at you. You ride the roof to the ground and think you can get away but then you find the cause of the explosion waiting for you with a sledgehammer in hand and he smashes you to the floor.
It can get crazier than that though, with buildings blowing up every angle you look.

The soundtrack is pretty quirky and impressive, also.

4) Lair.
A lot of people hate this game, and I guess it is a love-hate sort of game. I love it because the controls (almost entirely based on motion-sensors) made it feel as if you were actually flying the dragon, as opposed to just clicking buttons to make something move as in most games. It felt as if I was either a god holding the dragon itself, or as if the controller were the reigns the character uses to grab hold of the dragon and ride it.
It was a lot of fun, it really was. The soundtrack was excellent as well.

5) Ghostbusters.
Not perfect, but really really fun, at least for me. I'm a bit of a Ghostbusters fan so this was a huge thing for me. I didn't think it was excecuted poorly, unlike what some people say. I know to take it as a bit of fun, and that is what it was. I enjoyed acting like a Ghostbuster.. Online is pretty ace too. The Stay Puft marshmallow-man even comes to fight you in some online maps. Need I say more? :D

I want to list more as there are more games I believe deserve to be bought, but these are probably my top 5 at the moment.

Last edited:
Three of the games that I would have had in my top 5 have been covered, so I'll do two and add in some more if I can think of any.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
It's easily the best FPS I've played on the PS3, and I've played most of them, including Killzone 2. Firstly it's the most fun, online or offline. It's also the most realistic too, with the ability to crouch and lie prone, which is something not all games have. There's also elements of strategy with how you use your stun/flashbang/smoke grenades and your three perks. There's also the wide range of weapons, which I've yet to see matched. And it's better than other FPS games, the aiming is more responsive and 'tighter' than any other FPS games, when you go from Modern Warfare to another game, the unresponsiveness of the other games takes some getting used to.
The only thing about CoD4, is that Modern Warfare 2 will be released on the tenth of November, and you may not want to get the first one if you can get the latter. But if you don't want to get MW2, then CoD4 should be at the top of your list.

The secong game is Infamous.
Apparently it's a bit like Prototype, basically it's a modern superhero game, in which you have the ability to be either good or evil. It's quite a fun game, you can jump and fly and shoot lightning bolts at people. You can free roam and take over the city as well as completing the story.

1) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots + Metal Gear Solid Database
This game, much like the series, was insane, but in a good way. I loved every minute of it. I added the database, because if there was ever a series in serious need of a database, it was Metal Gear Solid.

2) Valkyria Chronicles
This is still my favorite RPG on the PS3, and it probably will be until FF13 comes out. I wasn't impressed by the demo, but for some reason I bought it right after Thanksgiving last fall and played it for 10 hours that weekend. I was impressed with the characters, the story, and especially the gameplay. It had been a while since a game was just pure fun, and that's what this was for me.

3) Rock Band 2
It improved on the first Rock Band in every way. Better graphics, more gameplay modes and a better track selection. I still play this, even after long sessions of Beatles Rock Band at a friend's apartment.

4) Street Fighter IV
This game got me back into fighting games (I hadn't really played anything since Tekken 5). It gets a lot of grief from fighting game veterans for its simplicity, but it was just what I needed to get me to buy BlazBlue and King of Fighters XII last summer. My gateway fighting game, if you will. I just bought an arcade stick the other day.

5) Katamari Forever (Katamari Tribute)
I have Katamari Damacy, but I didn't play We Love Katamari (couldn't find a copy), Me & My Katamari (no PSP) or Beautiful Katamari (no 360), so a lot of stages and music that were "remixed" to some were completely new to me. This game has so many more stages and modes than the original. It's one of those games that I can play and replay without getting bored.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
I actually purchased the PS3 bundle for this game on launch day. Then sold it after I beat the game on Big Boss Extreme. This is still my favorite game for this generation.

2. Assassin's Creed
This game felt almost like a Zelda game to with the exploration, horse back riding and combat. Fell in love with it.

3. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
I never played this game on Xbox a whole lot, but man o man, this game was one huge adrenaline rush for me.

Sadly, these are the only games I have played on the PS3 thus far aside from demo's. I will be getting Uncharted and Uncharted 2 here real soon.

1. Uncharted 2
Awesome, awesome game. I'm glad i spent 60 on it, its worth every dime.
I'm currently on hard mode at the moment, i haven't been hooked on a game this much since i first started playing games and that was back in 94.

2.Batman Arkham Asylum
Best superhero game ever, i honestly thought it was going to be horrible but i'm glad i was wrong. Playing as the joker is a plus too because...well who doesn't like to cause mayhem? :D That and how they got the VAs from the animated series to voice the characters is another plus.

Those are the only two i've been playing, my other games just bore me to tears now.

:monster:

1) BlazBlue
Okay this game is so addicting and for the moment its the only thing inside my PS3. I'm good at the game but still I need to get so much better, I haven't beat Score Attack yet, I made it all the way up to Ranga which is the last opponent in the mode. I'll get you yet....Ragna...

2) LittleBig Planet
This game seems innocent and all but dammit, its hell inside a small disk. Its so cute but the game is so hard, its one of the hardest platformers I've seen in a while, so hard that I haven't beaten the damn thing, I've had it for a few months, too! Dx

3) Ninja Gaiden
Okay this game is so hard, but dammit again its so addicting, I can't stop playing it, I love being a ninja and I can't wait for the next game to come out.Truly an amazing game. ♥

4) Soul Calibur IV
Just a lot of the other titles, this game is amazing, the fighting is well balanced but the game it self carries too little modes, the story mode isn't all that amazing either. I do miss the Chronicles that were in the third one. The character creating is very good as well.

5) Prince of Persia
This game is so awesome, I've played it several times over and it still doesn't get boring. The game is well balanced and it flows great, I just wish there was a two player mode, that's be great ya know if player one could be the Prince while player two could be the princess, that'd be awesome. The ending is plain obvious, there's a continuation.

:monster:

Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

An amazing platformer with stunning visuals, hilarious characters, and tons of mayhem and destruction. Gotta love the Ratchet & Clank series. This is an early PS3 game, but there's a new Ratchet & Clank game coming. It may already be available, actually. I haven't been following video games closely as of late.

LittleBigPlanet

Another great platformer! The game offers a wide variety of difficult levels to make your way through. There are tons of unlockables that expand the number of ways you can create and customize your very own environments. Lots of room for creativity.

Resistance 2

Not the best FPS to hit the market, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. The game is greatly improved from the first title (also worth checking out, but you're not depriving yourself of much if you don't).

Those are the only PS3 exclusives I've played. I'd also suggest Oblivion, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, Fallout 3, etc, etc, etc...

Ya'll have any updates on these since Christmas has run its course? I've been thinking about getting a PS3 again this week, and really wanted to get 2 games.

I had these in mind for both...

1) God of War Collectors Edition

2) Demon's Souls

- In the future (march) I want to aim for God of War 3.

- Then of course get FFXIII on it, since it was the original port and will run quite a bit smoother than Xbox's version.

I've never played Demon's Souls, but you'll really enjoy GoW Collections if you've previously played the other titles. If not then it's still awesome, the remade graphics are still fantastic even though they're not at the same level as other PS3 games. The gameplay in general is awesome as well, I'm not a huge fan of hack n slash games but this one was worth the gamble of importing it for me :awesome:

Ive got about 10 games but only played 3-4, considering I bought most of them in anticipation of my PS3 for Christmas, but so far.

1) Ratchet & Clank: Tools Of Destruction
Love the series, the gameplay, graphics, cutscenes... everything is better than i anticipated

2) Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time
Haven't played it yet, but if it is anything like the one before it it will be great.

3) Batman Arkham Asylum
Awesome storyline, awesome characters, graphics, challenging trophies, just a great game

4) LitteBigPlanet
This game is god damn hard, but a great play

5) Star Wars Froce Unleashed
I dig Star Wars and this is a good game, despite not being in the same cannon as the Star Wars movies.

This is my list so far, but keep in mind that I have Wolverine, Infamous and Devil May Cry 4 that are unplayed, sittig next to my TV

Honourable menions go to Dragon Ball Raging Blast and Lego Star Wars.

Uncharted 2;

Awesome visuals, great sound, everything seems so real. Lots of explosions, story is a bit bleh and it's a bit too easy but still a great game.

Assassins Creed 2;
A very fun game, so much improved from number 1, not as repetitive as the first one, was a shame that you only got to use the flying machine twice in the game.

Little Big Planet;
Very interactive game, so much to do, you think it's an easy game at the start but it gets a bit hard at the end. :P

Batman Arhkam Asylum;
One of best superhero games EVER. :ohshit: Fun story, lots of extra stuff to do through the game, riddles and shit. Combat was fun with the slow motion XD.

I can't think of another game. >.>

Can't really decide on the top 5, but these are just the best 5 games I have played.

Uncharted 2- Great story, graphics, gameplay, and the music was amazing, I love Drake and his funny attitude xD This game was way better than the first one.
Heavy rain- Didn't know what to expect at first but this game blew me away. It looked so real and I loved that about every decision you make changed the story. The story was awesome and you really can replay the story so many times and not getting bored with it.
Resident evil 5- Had higher expectations of the game but it was cool.
I just hoped it would be more scary than it is now, but luckily the DLC had some nerve-racking moments
Uncharted 1- Just like the sequel only this one didn't appeal that much as the second one. Also I had a feeling this game is much more difficult than Uncharted 2.
Devil may cry 4- Havent played it in a while but when it came out I finished it in one weekend. I was glad Dante was back and kicked ass, I liked Nero a lot as well. Only Kyrie pretty much ruined the game. The storyline sucked
by saving her so many times
, but the gameplay was awesome and the cutscenes.

1: MGS3. The gameplay is amazing and so much fun, especially when your sneaking around enemies. Graphics are really good, and loaded with cut scenes. :awesome:
2. Little Big Planet- Just an easy pick up and play game that you will have fun with for hours, especially if you have a friend over or online. Building levels requires a lot of skill, or at least i think so, cause i could not get anything going. and the soundtrack is awesome.
3. Resident Evil 5. Weird with the shooting but a pretty solid story with good graphics and is fun poppin zombies heads off. And with online co-op you can slaughter zombies with a friend.
4. FFXIII.
5 is unknown. those are the only games ive enjoyed on the ps3 so far.

1. Rockband 2- Simply because I love RB and I've played it for sooo long. This is the only game I can play nonstop and never get tired of. The graphics are oretty good, the timing is great, and I was amazed at the way the characters on the screen matched up with the song that was playing- their movements, how they play, and even the singer's lips.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4- I've loved MGS for forever. This game... Took my breath away. The graphics were amazing, the story was fantastic, and just.... Overall, it was wonderful.

3. Lair- This game got a lot of flack. A lot of people didn't like it, but I though it was good. Liked the story a lot, loved the graphics, adored the concept. I loved flying the dragons!

4. Little Big Planet- Infinate possibilities. 'Nuff said. And SackBoy was the epitome of freaking ADORABLE. Loved the game, and the online play, and the way you could do anything just blew my mind.

5. Uncharted 2- Drake has been AMAZING since they came out with the first game. But Unchated 2 was absolutely breath taking. The sounds, the graphics, and AMAZING story. I just loved it.

There are a lot more games I really liked- like the GoW collection, and Demon Souls- but these just really stuck with me.

1.Final Fantasy XIII-I know it's got a lot of criticism from FF fans but I love it and definate rate it as the best PS3 game.........simply because of the story and movie-like cutscenes...........had so much fun as well........even though for most parts of the game I was stunned by the graphics of it! and the characters weren't that bad (except Vanille and Snow kinda).........(or maybe because it's just an FF game thats why its no.1)

no order for these............

Midnight Club Racing LA..........

This was my first PS3 game.......and damn didn't I love it........I still prefer this to games like NFS........its only a shame you can't play two players :sad:

Fifa

When I had a PS2 I used to hate FIFA and people that said FIFA was better than Pro Evolution Soccer used to make me angry...........but when I played it on the PS3..........damn I've never loved football games as much as FIFA on the PS3.........I've played pro,but it comes no way near the gameplay here........

Grand Theft Auto

I still ove the GTA on PS2 and think its better on the PS2 (obviosly not graphics) but still feels it deserves a spot here........it's just the sort of game you can chill out and made a big difference from the PS2 version,which I rather prefer.......but the PS3 versions of GTA offer a lot more features........

LittleBigPlanet

I don't know why but to me this sounds and looks like a sad game.......and not for me.......but when I play it I have so much fun building stuff.........really easy and all..........

5th game? Not Yet Known..............I have played other games yes i played games......like MSG,killzone,Def Jam etc.........but don't think it really deserves a place up here........Because I really haven't enjoyed them at all. Guess I'll have to wait to see the newer games that hit the shelves soon.

Back