FFXIV: Worth Getting?

cal is 1000k

ShinRa Guard
Gil
I heard FFXIV is on ps3 and I don't have many games on ps3 that I want so can someone tell if FFXIV is a good game to get.:funnyface:

Depends what type of game you're looking for, if you're looking for an MMORPG then FFXIV may just be the type of you're looking for, however, if you're not looking to pay fees then it'll be a poor choice. As for whether the game is good or not, it would be really difficult to say so with the lack of detailed information and no release/demo.

funny, i just heard of final fantasy XIII and now you tell me this is out. shit. side effects of living in Australia A, still wont get it in for a while a, bugger mate

funny, i just heard of final fantasy XIII and now you tell me this is out. shit. side effects of living in Australia A, still wont get it in for a while a, bugger mate
Don't worry, we havn't been neglected. FFXIV isn't due for release anywhere for a little while.

Anyway, in my opinion it is a little too early to discuss whether the game is worth getting or not. To my knowledge, relatively little information about XIV has been released. I guess you could try to make the decision based on whether you like MMO's or not. But even though I'm not that into MMO's, I think it would be worth waiting for a little more information about it before brushing it off completely.

Everything that I've read about XIV says that it will be released this coming year in 2010. Somewhere after the release of XIII but before VsXIII.

Honestly I don't think it'll be worth getting. :/ I can't exactly afford to buy a game and then keep paying just to play it.

I think FFXIV is worth getting if you really like an open ended MMORG - to be honest I picked it up about 4 weeks ago and there is not a huge amount there and plenty of bugs but the thing that I am excited about is that they are going mad releasing updates to solve the problems.

Sure the game is pretty shaky right now but I still think it is an awesome game and a cool Christmas pressie.

i've heard plenty of terrible reviews about it, but i explain that it would be in most people best interest to wait to buy the game till march 11th because most of the problems should be fixed by then and your gaming experience will be much http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtusOC3MVIbetter.

please watch my videos and post your comments.

I haven't played it yet, although I think I will when it comes out for PS3. I am a PS3 gamer and there is a current lack of them, bar White Knight Chronicles which I have yet to play. Typically though, I wouldn't go for pay-to-play MMOs, but that was back in the day when I had access to PC gaming and the fabulous Guild Wars!!

After watching a couples of video and reading some reviews, I really don't know what to think about that game. The reviews are shit (mostly) but the gameplay looks nice. I'm far from an MMORPGs expert ( I only played WOW to level 29 and never played FFXI) but it think it might be a decent game when it comes out on the PS3 next march (and when they will have fix the bugs). I'm a console gamer so that's why I didn't bought it yet.

At this very moment, I'd say XIV is definitely not worth getting, it's still pretty awful, there's not much to do, the controls are horrid, the areas are all copypasta, the class system is pretty much broken and the game is still very much in it's development stage. It's that awful they're giving free subscriptions to everyone till they make it a playable game. XI is far far far superior to XIV except for the graphics.

I played it and thought to myself "they making people pay extra for this?"
wtf2.gif

in other words, no it is not worth your time in my opinion.

At this very moment, I'd say XIV is definitely not worth getting, it's still pretty awful, there's not much to do, the controls are horrid, the areas are all copypasta, the class system is pretty much broken and the game is still very much in it's development stage. It's that awful they're giving free subscriptions to everyone till they make it a playable game. XI is far far far superior to XIV except for the graphics.
ARR or 2.0 seems to have a mix of XIV AND XI together sorta ive been on ps3 beta played to lvl 10 so far and im diggin it.. 1.0 was horrid most def!!! Thats why ARR is going to be released.. U live and U learn, to Improve .. All we can do is give our support and wait..:sleep:

Just 2 questions:

Is the UI and controls better than they used to be?
Do they have an AH?

Edit: Gonna answer my own question since nobody else has...

The UI is way better than 1.0- It is quicker and easier to use.
There is no AH per say, but something called the Market Boards which is very similiar to an AH. You may have up to two retainers which can hold something like 175 items each and you can summon them at "Retainer Bells" in the main cities. You give your stuff to your retainer and he/she will sell them for you on the markets. You have to switch between the bell and the market board to actually compare prices/put up things for auction though.

My only qualm with the game is the targeting system, which is pretty bad imo. It is still pretty difficult to click on moving targets, so you rely on tab targeting. Tab targeting is flawed though because the game doesn't use a simply left-right targeting scheme but instead uses nearest-farthest (or vice versa) which really isn't nearest-farthest at all, but instead a random order of targeting. I've heard of some people using the Move Cursor feature to target but I like to use that for players only on my healer and switching it every time i switch classes it too tedious.

Overall I give the game a 8/10.

Last edited:
Sorry for bringing this up as the see the posts were from a long time ago but

i've been a very active player on aion and in all honestly i'm very bored of it after 3 years

how is this game I see its had a lot of work put into fixing some of it flaws

i'm just curious about end game content and server population in europe?

i am really looking for a switch as imo aion is probably the worst mmo community i've seen within a game and looking for a change from pay2win and letting hackers run riot as long as they spend large amounts of money in the shop.

I'm starting to wonder why I bothered picking up a copy of this, even if it was cheap.

I've yet to open it and play it, but I've seen plenty of videos about it to notice how generic it is as an MMO, with pest control, slay 10 of these things then report back to some NPC with his feet up in a tavern, some questionable voice acting quality, and a massive HUD design that obfuscates huge parts of the screen and the action going on.

By contrast, I've been dabbling with Guild Wars 2 ever since it temporarily slashed its price by half on its official website, and it has been surprisingly engrossing. There's none of that usual pest control and grind "kill X number of wildlife for the first 15 hours" nonsense going on, and I'm loving the game's dynamic events system (something FFXIV supposedly has as well with FATES, though I wager they're nowhere near as frequent), and even the occasional jumping puzzles where I look like an absolute tool attempting to reach certain objects dotted around in certain locations in front of bemused spectating players. Then there's Guild Wars 2's flexible skills system and the considerable variety that comes with it, when skills are tied to weapons you possess, as well as certain traits and unique abilities of your class. I'm playing as an engineer, but because of the weapon and the build I've gone with, most engineers in the game play a bit differently than I do.

Anyway, the point is, Guild Wars doing away and subverting a lot of the WoW trends, AND its lack of subscription fees or an egregiously horrid cash shop like many F2P games may do, means it easily possesses the sort of value that the first Guild Wars had. FFXIV could well be a great game, but from what I've seen and heard, it does nothing new. After the disaster of the first FFXIV, they allegedly played it "safe" and imparted from WoW and its contemporaries as many used elements from them as they could albeit with a warm, fuzzy Final Fantasy skin on top of it. I can't see FFXIV having the same sort of nostalgia in a decade from now as FFXI did, because the latter is known for at least standing out in its own way. I fear that if I were to try out FFXIV now, it would seem like a pedestrian experience next to other MMOs like Guild Wars 2 and what EverQuest Next and Landmark will do. As it stands, FFXIV's subscription fees leave me wary, and I'm quite surprised that it's doing as well as it is.

I'm starting to wonder why I bothered picking up a copy of this, even if it was cheap.

I've yet to open it and play it, but I've seen plenty of videos about it to notice how generic it is as an MMO, with pest control, slay 10 of these things then report back to some NPC with his feet up in a tavern, some questionable voice acting quality, and a massive HUD design that obfuscates huge parts of the screen and the action going on.

By contrast, I've been dabbling with Guild Wars 2 ever since it temporarily slashed its price by half on its official website, and it has been surprisingly engrossing. There's none of that usual pest control and grind "kill X number of wildlife for the first 15 hours" nonsense going on, and I'm loving the game's dynamic events system (something FFXIV supposedly has as well with FATES, though I wager they're nowhere near as frequent), and even the occasional jumping puzzles where I look like an absolute tool attempting to reach certain objects dotted around in certain locations in front of bemused spectating players. Then there's Guild Wars 2's flexible skills system and the considerable variety that comes with it, when skills are tied to weapons you possess, as well as certain traits and unique abilities of your class. I'm playing as an engineer, but because of the weapon and the build I've gone with, most engineers in the game play a bit differently than I do.

Anyway, the point is, Guild Wars doing away and subverting a lot of the WoW trends, AND its lack of subscription fees or an egregiously horrid cash shop like many F2P games may do, means it easily possesses the sort of value that the first Guild Wars had. FFXIV could well be a great game, but from what I've seen and heard, it does nothing new. After the disaster of the first FFXIV, they allegedly played it "safe" and imparted from WoW and its contemporaries as many used elements from them as they could albeit with a warm, fuzzy Final Fantasy skin on top of it. I can't see FFXIV having the same sort of nostalgia in a decade from now as FFXI did, because the latter is known for at least standing out in its own way. I fear that if I were to try out FFXIV now, it would seem like a pedestrian experience next to other MMOs like Guild Wars 2 and what EverQuest Next and Landmark will do. As it stands, FFXIV's subscription fees leave me wary, and I'm quite surprised that it's doing as well as it is.

I will still help you in making sure your copy gets used...just sayin'. Fo' realz or what the fuck ever.

Also, I've played every (released) game listed there and still prefer FF14 to any of them...but to each their own, I suppose.

From the perspective of an experienced MMO player, the most common complaints I hear about FFXIV is how unbearably long it's GCD feels and how avoiding mechanics is handled compared to a game like WoW where you just dodge the actual animation but in FFXIV you have to be out of the area an AoE is being dropped before it's visual warning disappears. Take that how you will.

Based on that information, I would say that the game has a free trial iirc and you are more than free to check it out and decide for yourself!

But from the perspective of a player who has never played an MMO, likes to spend 4-6+ hours a day playing video games, enjoys interacting with other players and working as a team to complete dungeons/objectives what have you, I highly recommend it. In higher end duties people might get a little nasty because they really want a win or to just finish the duty, but for the most part I have found the FFXIV game community to be very polite, helpful and a lot of fun to be a part of and I just feel like that's something you don't see anymore. There is also a ton of content for a true blue newb to explore!

I think the only reason I wouldn't recommend FFXIV to someone is if they like to play something fast paced, like to focus on endgame but don't get much time to play or if their computer is an actual toaster.

Last edited:
Back