Male Viera... lol?

DarkClaymore

Fatal Noob
Gil
I always believed that Viera are a female only race.
But then, I have searched for some info about male and female of each race in Ivalice.

In wikipedia it says about Viera :

Regarding the lack of males seen, it is found that males and females live separately, only meeting when there is a need for it

That was a total shock! I thought they are born from a tree... or something.
I know wikipedia isn't the most reliable source, so where was it ever said?

Sounds pretty vague..I had just kind of assumed that there were no male viera and thay maybe they just mated with human men? (considering the sidequest where you were a matchmaker for a human and a viera it seems possible..) or something like that...it would make sense if it as an ultimania fact or something though....i bet a male viera would look really weird...

I think there may have been a topic about this in the FF12 section one time. But I don't remember what we came up with, haha.

I guess there could be male viera that live somewhere else. Since they're a different species, female viera shouldn't be able to mate with human men (unless it's a donkey + horse = mule situation?).

I thought that there were only females and that the wood created more! Lol
I guess the sand makes males or something :P

Well the conclusion in that thread was that the Viera and Garif met at set times in the year to mate. (I believe Misty brought this to our attention thanks to her FF12 guide) though that does leave an unanswered question...

Where are the male Viera and female Garif?

In FF Tactics A2 there, there's a law that says you can't attack females. When you look up the law in the menu it says it's illegal to attack Gria and Viera.
So I just thought that the words female and Viera are pretty much synonymous :gasp:
(discounting female humes etc).

Last edited:
This may seem very stupid, but first of all, I never really thought to wonder where they came from, and since I usually wonder everything about everything and hate not having answers, this is very strange, but the first thought that came to mind when I read "male Viera" was something like a Ronso, but various shades of a light brown / dark brown. Maybe like short, fluffy white ears or something. Like dog ear sized. Way thinner than a Ronso though, I imagine like the thin but muscular bodies of a young Native American warrior or something.

I don't know, that's the visual I get. I imagine the men would be very few in number, small tribes that would most likely move up to the Jahara region and live in canyons or something.

My imagination really liked the idea, obviously, and if there are in fact male Viera then I really would like to know more about them.

Last edited:
This is a good question. Are there any Male Vieras? Do Vieras even mate? Do Garifs mate? Or do they asexually reproduce like certain species? It is quite significant because otherwise we'd be lost on how the Viera population actually survives as we don't know how they reproduce.

Either it's asexual, or there are male Vieras who periodically visit the Eruyt woods, or it could be that reproduction amongst Viera is rare which may explain why there are few numbers of them and why most of them are moderately old.

• Vaan: I was wondering—what Jote said, you know? About how you said the same thing 50 years ago?
  • Fran: Your point?
  • Vaan: Uh, how old were you again?

Yes, I also thought they reproduce asexually. If "male vieras" do exist, then that means that they have been staying away from the wood, and they are vieras (who think they should all stay in the wood), so that must mean that they are exiles, BUT Jote didn't mention all the male exiles when she was scorning toward Fran.

I've heard it's actually stated in the Ultimana guide that there are male viera.

I found it to be sort of a shame, I liked the idea I had about it all, that they were born from the Forest, children of Golmore Jungle. That would have added even more to the taboo when it comes to Viera leaving the forest.

I sort of like the idea of the Garif and the Viera. They live so close after all, only separated by the Ozmone Plains, and the races are both highly spiritual.
It seems that hume and viera breeding isn't out of the question. Remember the Viera female and man by the Rabanastre fountain? And I think there actually is a half hume half viera breed in the Revenant Wings game.

But anyway, the Ultimana guide has stated that there are male viera so I guess that's that. Sort of killing funny speculations.

Last edited:
I always assumed male Viera just... weren't as active as female Viera, or just all lived in a separate place to the females...

Male Vieras would've had to existed for the females ones to even exist as well. It's surprising you don't see them in the game on the other hand.

If it's true that the Garif are male Vieras, than maybe that explains why they ware masks; So no one knows that they're Viera.

I hope this makes sense.

Hmmm. Found this on someone's deviant art. I wonder if they look anything like this?

There are male vieras, apparently - they just live in different camps, and rarely leave the woods. And Garif cannot be Male Viera - their physical stature, their skin colour - its not how you would call it...Viera appropriate.

Actually I have a tactics book thet says that about the male viera....If I feel motivated I might hunt it down but I do remember reading it in it.

Oh snap at that fan art. Apparently, male viera have an aversion to clothes.

Back