Excalibur II: Is it worth it?

HighwindPilot

White Mage
Gil
I know there've been threads about the Excalibur II before, but they're all super old and really general.

This one's pretty much just asking whether you, FFIX players, think the "Secret" Excalibur II item is worth it, as I'm trying to debate it myself.

Personally, I'm more leaning towards a no. I like paying attention to all the aspects of the game. It's hard for me to just skip past it all, especially in a game like IX, in which the player can be so interactive with the field and towns. With so many interesting aspects to the plot, and so many interesting quirks to explore - it's hard for me to just breeze by it all.

What about you all, do you think the opportunity cost of the achievement is little in comparison to the "fable", the bragging rights, the Weapon itself, or the great idea of a 100% game?

I think it's only something to be tried once you've done everything else you can do in the game. Then it might be worth trying as a final achievement. But it's not essential really, and I feel it kind of misses the point of a game like FFIX when you have to rush through it so quickly, you miss out on all the fun aspects of the game.

Humm, I dont really know, as i dont have it myself, but tbh i dont plan on getting it because, you would have to rush through the game, and have to ignor all the fun aspects of the game.

In order to get it, you would have to skip almost all of the side quests until the end of the game. And even with doing that, you still might not get it. I havent done it because its too hard for me to do.

I personally have never tried to get or wanted Excalibur II. I barely use Steiner, and I think running through the game within 12 hours would ruin the breath-taking experience that is Final Fantasy IX. I've never been one for 100% completion, and I don't think I'll ever try to get it. And if I did get it, then I most likely would not use it. I'll be sticking to my good ol' party of Dagger, Zidane, Vivi, and Freya/Quina...

looking at the difference between the Excalibur 2 and ragnaroks attack I would say it is worth it for some people who want to cap their levels and have the absolute best party. for me and normal people who want to get high levels and good weapons but not ruin the game its just not worth it. get ragnarok and just go with it imo.

only if excalibur 2 had a unique skill would it be worth it imo.

Last edited:
The thought of another character wielding a crystal-like weapon that is a little more powerful than the Ultima Weapon made me want to get it.
But when I knew how to obtain it, I just quickly stepped away lmao
You'd sacrifice a lot just to get one weapon that isn't really that special. Yeah you guys are right, side-quests and town hopping and not to mention grinding.

Ya, i've never bothered with it myself. The abilities are pointless (can be gained with weaker, easier to obtain weapons) the add status I don't think even exists, and when the damage cap is 9999 I can do that much with some hard training or by using doomsday sword. And 9999 damage isn't really all that great anyway, I manage well enough doing 6000.

And really, considering you'd be playing a LLG the Excalibur 2 would be worthless to you. You'd probably not even score 1000 damage to the final boss. So really, I wouldn't bother for a meager 8 points more attack than the ultima weapon >_>

And really, considering you'd be playing a LLG the Excalibur 2 would be worthless to you. You'd probably not even score 1000 damage to the final boss. So really, I wouldn't bother for a meager 8 points more attack than the ultima weapon >_>

This is a good point. The fact that you'd be rushing through the game without training makes even accomplishing the feat difficult enough. Then, once you get your "prize", it's not even very helpful since you're so weak.

I suppose it's for the completist out there who wants to get EVERYTHING EVAR. Otherwise, it's not really worth the time/trouble/effort/frustration.

getting to memoria within 12 hrs? yeah really hard.. i reached memoria and defeated lich but i had a hard time defeating some of the boss that i encountered because my party is only level 45-49.. and.. i think its not really worth getting it because i was not able to get some important items just because of a weapon that is 8 points stronger than the ultima weapon..

Getting Excalibur II is quite an achievement gameplay-wise, but the sword itself isn't worth it -- it teaches nothing that can't be learned already and ends up being overkill. Based off that, there are funner ways to challenge oneself that don't involved blowing through the game like greased lightning.

No way

No way would I give up an entire story for one weapon. And it's only like an 8 point attk diff I think. You would be throwing away the whole story. Not to mention it would be kinda hard to rush thru so quickly.

i say it isint worth it as has been explained above why , when you get it , it wont be of much benefit and you miss the pointd of the whole game and you completly miss the whole story , these games are meant to be played slowly and the player is meant to take everything in as they are massive storys!!, on another point i actually have never finished 9! ive only got to the bit in disc 3 were you fight garland , i beat him and then it freezes!

I thought it was a joke the first time I read how to get that damn sword, 12 hours!?!?!? I could not get that far into FFIX in 12 hours, theres just too much to do! You'd have to sprint everywhere!

I've never attempted to get it because I'm just scared I loose it by just a few minutes or something. Maybe I will attempt it sometime in the future.

To answer your question, there is no reason to do this if you haven't played the game before. In fact, its close to impossible if you are not extremely familiar with the game.

I myself have done the side quest twice. I my opinion it is one of the harder challenges in any game to date and its worth it to be able to say that you've done it. Everyone else is right about the fact that you will miss out on the game and yes, you can get the abilities elsewhere.

However, the story is not the point if you are trying to get the sword. So if you've played it for the story before and you want a challenge, then yes go for it.

PS: make sure to use the cine-skip

Yes. Although to attempt it in one sitting is nigh on impossible. It requires immense patience, a strategic look at which areas are worth spending more time in and a large slice of luck and determination.

I've never had Excalibur II, and I never plan to to be honest, you can get the abilities from other swords, the only thing is it has about (if memory serves) 108 attack power, making it the standalone most powerful weapon in the game. However, skipping/rushing through the game with next to level one characters in under twelve hours for just a sword, and for a character I rarely use in my final party, if at all makes it seem like a rather pointless task.
I think i'd like to try it for perfectionists sake, but apart from that, it doesn't seem worth it at all.

Back