Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Rever Seurwit
FFXIV Server
Faerie
Free Company
Timber Owls <Owls>
i just wanted to know everyones opinion on the battle setup fo ff tactics the ps1 game...

I liked it, I thought it was a nice change from the classic FF battle system. I'll admit though that it did take me a while to get used to it. I got killed a lot in the first chapter, but I began to get a hang of the system by the time I got to the second chapter.

yeah it made the game more strategical, i personally loved it and it was same for me, died many times in the first chapter, i made the perfect combos of abilities too, and it never gets old, so many good charecter combos, i loved it!

I despised it to be quite honest, even though I love a lot of games with that battle system, Tactics was rather the boring type =\ they didn't nail it to be honest, I was like taking a lot of time to level and to take skill points in order to power up my character and the battles takes a long of time, which made me turn off the PSP and ignore it.

I despised it to be quite honest, even though I love a lot of games with that battle system, Tactics was rather the boring type =\ they didn't nail it to be honest, I was like taking a lot of time to level and to take skill points in order to power up my character and the battles takes a long of time, which made me turn off the PSP and ignore it.
so ur saying it wasnt worth all the time? interesting, i figured ppl wld appreciate the time it took to master jobs...well thats another opinion, my psp version has ramza mastered all but dark knight so far :D

so ur saying it wasnt worth all the time? interesting, i figured ppl wld appreciate the time it took to master jobs...well thats another opinion, my psp version has ramza mastered all but dark knight so far :D

IMO, the only game in the tactics series in which there is no point in mastering many jobs is: FFT. Simply because you get all those overpowered characters (Holy Knight and I don't remember the rest).
I did, though, get all jobs just in order to "have them".
But I knew that I'll use the strong ones. I even feel a little stupid for training all those other characters I had (I had maximum number of characters, with a few monsters too...).

The battle system though was really good IMO. Even though more annoying then in FFTA or FFTA2, it was annoying in a good way.
The fact you had to wait a few turns before casting magicks and such was really good. I wonder why they changed the system in the later games.
Overall I like tactics games, so of course that I like the battle system.

I'm honest too

I'm half and half with it. It was good since it made the Tactics games stand out, but it did take way to long to finish a battle. Also leveling up and learning abilities took a while too. I did the whole 'turn the last monster into a frog, get every character in a figure 5 and attack one another'. Even though it was your own characters you still got EXP and Jp. I like WOTL where there is no charge for spells but to tell the truth ps1 is my favorite version cause of the cheats :) I'm lame I know. It just made somethings faster.

It was OK at the start, rather suiting to my taste IMO, but after a few hours it got kinda boring and it just sorts of need explaining like what does that ability do (Exorcise). In the end, there were lots of abilities that does very litttle damage and it was very frustrating. I'm going back to it after FFCC: Echoes of time.

Loved it. It took a long time to get used to it (probably the end of Chapter 1 before I absolutely had the hang of it), but once I was in I never looked back. I thought it was cool to have fights last that long - made me feel like I was getting everything I could out of the game. It really did teach me a lot about strategy. A few years later I went back in to finish a third playthrough I had forgotten about and my party kept getting defeated at Yardow Fort City. It was like "...Oh yeah, I can't just rush in and start hitting people."

Excellent battle system. Loved it. By far the best battle system in the FF universe. :)

My only gripe with the psp version is the amount of lag with casting time and special skills such as night sword and stasis sword. That and the fact the sound doesn't sync well when the attacks are performed. I still don't understand why they haven't fixed it when the PS1 version didn't have these problems.

I'll be shadowing a few posts prior. I love the battle setup of all the Tactics games, but I found that having so many main character's really pulled from the point of the game. I guess that's a different discussion, but I agree with a few beforehand; there is no reason for me to train all my people up to 100, gain every job, and look for all those important armors and weapons, if they're all going to be over-dominated by getting Cid, et al. The scheme of it all is amazing, but the biggest problem with Tactics is that very thing. I believe they sort of changed that around when it came to Tactics Advance 2, and all that, but prior to that; I was disappointed.

I was also very disappointed that every dang player you got started at the level you were at (Cid, et al.) other than Cloud, who you had to level up from 1, AT THE END OF THE GAME! Pissed me off so very badly.

Loved it, But I think FFTA and A2 improved the system and perfected somethings, even the Viera's are OP in FFTA. A2 they nerfed a lot of the classes and balanced it out more so the battles were a bit more challenging in some ways. I think there were several worthless classes in A2. FFT: WotL was fun in how open it could be, but wasn't as engaging as the other two. I found myself getting bored with it and having to put it down for a week or so. Still, It was amazing, but my favourite was FFTA and A2

Frustrated me, really. I just found it way too difficult to get into properly, and I died many, many times during Chapter 2 (I was fine during chapter 1).
Levelling up your jobs was a really slow process, and I found that several characters started lagging behind - because once a character was kind of weak, they just got weaker and weaker in comparison to the rest of your party.

I've never got past Chapter 2. I'll definitely take another crack at it someday, but I'll be honest, it's not very high on my priorities list. I much prefer the system used in TA and TA2 (more balanced IMO, and with a smoother learning curve).

Back