Serious Do you believe in fate?

Hawaiian8o8

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
Just wondering what are everyone's views on fate. Do you believe in fate, destiny, everything happens for a reason kind of deal? Are you a helpless pawn of fate?
I'm always debating whether I believe in fate or not. It's a hard topic for me, sometimes I believe in it and sometimes I don't.

...Idk if I posted this in the right place. :suki:

No. I think fate is man made, made to make people feel like things that happen in life are fulfilling some greater cause, to make them feel good. That's just my opinion though.

I agree...also when things don't turn out the way we want or something bad happens, people use fate as an excuse.

It depends on what you call Fate.
For example, if some one fails in a test, he can say "it was my fate to fail, it is not my fault". So it is simply used as a lame excuse in this case. If you think this way of fate, then if your "fate" is to pass the test, then you don't even need to study. Thus doing anything at all loses all meaning.

For me fate is just everything that happens, meaning that we not actually have any choice about being pawns of fate.
I don't believe that things happen because there is some kind of special unknown meaning to them.

It is kind of "The present is a result of the past and the future is the result of the present". So basically, if you don't study hard in the present, it is your fate to fail in the future test. Or, you failed at the present test because you haven't studied in the past. Hope it sounds logical.

More interesting thing is whatever it is possible to go against fate if you already know it.
For example some one comes to you and says "you'll fail in the next test, it is your fate. I have already seen it". So will you fail anyway? Or you'll be able to pass it this time because you'll study harder?
Of course that such thing isn't possible from my point of view about fate.
As from my point of view, you can say something happened because of fate only after it actually happened. For example you say it was your fate to fail in the test, after you actually failed.

Fate sounds like a predestined thing to occur. I think everyone has made the foolish notion that "soul-mates" exist and that it was fate. I don't believe in this kind of fate, but I believe that all things are connected.

It is not religious, it is just what I believe in. I believe in consequences for actions. I believe in Karma. I believe that everything revolves in a spiral, whether it be upwards or downwards.

Life is what you make of it though. So I don't believe in fate, I believe in opportunities. Those that wait on something to happen are foolish. Fate is a foolish word all together.

Back to Karma, I believe in a centric measure. Everything comes back to point 1, but not in the same way, hence why life is a spiral and not a circle.

Although I do believe in something strange. If you invision yourself doing something, and you say you are destined to things in a certain manner and then put forth action.. I believe you are likely to succeed and make it a reality. It isn't fate though. See if you were to sit there and say the same thing, and not put forth action, nothing would happen in my opinion.

So there you go.

^please put a tad more effort in your posts, thanks

I don't believe in fate, I don't like the idea of it at all. My whole life already pre-determined? No thanks - it's like all those people who have chosen shitty paths aren't really to blame because of fate....nah, if I make stupid choices, I know it's me being a nob and not fate. I might mention it in a joking manner like 'oooooh it's fate' or whatever, but I certainly don't beleive it.

Yes and no. It depends on your perspective.

From a certain point of view all things are bound by "fate", and what we believe is "free will" is just a man made illusion created to make us seem more significant.

For example, say we have a time machine that allows us to view the past (but not change it, we don't want any time paradoxes on our hands). Now using this we can observe a man who lived many years ago, let's say he's Abraham Lincoln.
We can observe the decisions he made and watch his life unfold, but we know he's gonna get shot in a theater. Everything he does leading up to that point, all the decisions that he makes with his "free will" are irrelevant in regards to whether he will be shot or not. In a sense he is destined to get shot and nothing can change that.

No matter how many times we watch his life it's still going to happen the same way. He's going to think the same thoughts and do the same things and he's gonna get shot.

Now look at this concept through the eyes of someone in the future, who is looking back on your life (provided your life is significant enough to make the history books). This person can watch your life as many times as he wants, but he knows exactly how it will end. It is destined to unfold the same way over and over, because that's how his history books were written. If that's not "fate" then I don't know what is.

Personally I do believe that things are destined to play out a certain way, but I believe it's orchestrated by God. I won't go into that though, as this isn't a religious debate.

Last edited:
I'll say that I am not a believer in fate. I think most people can safely say that what happened in their life is something that could never be thought up in a million years. I'm sure most people can agree as well that if the path their life has taken was planned, they would be pretty pissed about it.

I think I'll reach back and pull out a Final Fantasy quote (seeing as how it is a Final Fantasy forum after all). In FFVIII, when the party is at Trabia Garden, and discuss Matron and the orphanage, Irvine says that throughout his life he always had forks in the road for choices and that all the paths he chose brought him to that point in time. Well, it's the same with us. Our lives are riddled with some many decisions, some larger than others. Where you are today is determined by decisions you made in the past. When you sat there and pondered over a choice, if it was planned, there would be no hesitation. I suppose I look at things like fate from a realist point of view, but it's what makes the most sense to me.

It's easy for me to be a believer in fate, given that I'm 26 years old and am currently single. I do have the mentality that I'll find a girl that's right for me, but I certainly don't think that there is 1 very specific woman that is made to be with me. One day I'll find a good woman that is compatible and suits me well, she will be the one I spend the rest of my life with. And even though she would be the one I spend my life with, it doesn't mean I couldn't make it work with a different woman, but she would have to have a lot of similarities. Maybe fate plays a role in the sense that you'll never meet these equally compatible women in your lifetime, just the one you spend your life with.

Anyways, that's my outlook on it.

I believe in fate, but I also believe it to be flexible. What I mean is that you are free to make your own choices, but eventually, on the big stuff, Fate will have out. Say that you made a decision that affected a possible outcome, thus not allowing the outcome to come into being. If Fate meant for the outcome to exist, then it will find another way to have it do so. Our actions are our own, but are ultimately guided by Fate. I just have to laugh at the people who don't believe in fate or destiny. If people were to take a step back and really look at life, I think they would realize that there are just far too many coincidences to not have everything tied together; for there not to be a higher purpose.

I don't. I believe that its the decisions we make etc etc not because it was 'fate' I personally think its all rubbish and you can never know what happens. Fate is IMO (somewhat)connected to future depending on what you do is what will happen in reality. It wasn't already there and fate wasn't like on your shoulder saying 'do this do that' thats not the way things work. You plan out your future fate isn't there guiding you.

Last edited:
I dont believe in fate per se. I believe in some really awesome things happening by chance, which is almost fate, but not complete fate.

I also believe that our decisions are what shape our lives and what becomes of them. But I think there are times too, where sometimes seem too good to be true.

Concepts such as fate and destiny are products born of prior knowledge and/or hindsight of the consequences surrounding our choices, in my opinion. Its all very well and good to say things were/are fated to be, but at the time when you are making the choice, you are either ignorant of the potential consequences, or you are manipulating them to make them turn out in your favour. Fate and destiny (I see them as essentially one and the same - both suggest we have no control over our lives) are answers to those choices in our lives that we were unable to manipulate to our satisfaction, because the human mind absolutely hates not having any answers.

Things happen in life because of prior decisions made, not because they have been preset for you. Although at times it does feel that way, i don't believe in fate though. Life is what you make of it, things won't come to you if you wait. You have to make decisions to receive opportunities that follow from those decisions. So the whole good things come to those that wait is silly, least that's what i think.

People are where they are in life because of the decisions they made to get there, not because any event was preset for them or handed to them. To get what you want you work for it.

I think Forrest Gump said it best-

"It happens."

We just gotta deal with it without blaming it on the supernatural.

I don't believe in fate. All evidence seems to point to it being irrational and illogical.

But I like to pretend.
Sometimes it's okay to give yourself some emotional security and happiness if you know you're just making it up. It's a nice feeling that you can't really get elsewhere and I don't think it hurts every once in a while. It's the same thing about god- I like the concept but can't even begin to believe in it.

i'll play the devil's advocate again - i do believe in fate. fate brought about by my hands, by my family's hands, by everyone i have met, from the sandwich guy at the shop making my jalapeno egg salad sandwich (oh man those are good), to the online personas i meet in my daily ventures on the net. what is fate but the encompassing of our destinies at the end of our lives? a figure of speech. a noun for a noun; death...future.

I will fill my thread of fate with experiences and people from all kinds of places and times, deeds and mishaps, celebrations and retribution. fate, to me, then is nothing but an autobiography of my life.

and for the idea that someone or something is leading me towards a pre-destined death...see the 'do you believe in god?' thread. i don't much care...as it is still my actions, and the actions of those that interact with me, that make it possible.

I don't accept the idea of fate at all.

That being said, I have studied a bit of sociology, and found that what happens in our lives could be considered inevitable. Whatever situations we were in in our past has changed how we think, and therefore how we will react to new situations in the future. How we react to events in the future will again change how we think, (mostly because other people will react to our reactions), which will bring it full circle for the millionth time to how we think affecting how we react.

So my opinion on this is complicated. There's no such thing as fate, but the stuff that happens to you in the future is inevitable and unchangeable.

Sorry but like the great time lord says. Time is not straight, it is not a one way street from past to future. What it is, is a ball of string all mix up. Where every little thing can change everything. Their for fate cannot exist, fate can only exist in a straight line of time.

I know it short but hopefully it helpful
sorry for the grammar

Well to be perfectly honest, I find that fate is an attempt to justify and add some kind of answer to a series of events that unfold.

Personally I feel that the only kind of "fate" that does exist is the result of your actions during a chain of events that may pre-conclude how it will play out, but this of course is better explained as causality (cause and effect, action and reaction)

Do I believe there is such a thing as Pre-determined Fate?
The Fate where everything in your life was always intended to happen a certain way and you have no degree of control or any action you take will do nothing as it was already going to happen anyway?

No, definatley not.

Do I believe in soul-mates and "The One"?

No, I do not, "The One" is simply a way to justify strong feelings for someone, which at first is usually known as Lust, which later develops into enthatuation, theres absolutely nothing wrong with lust, nor enthatuation for that matter, just as long as you dont let it rule your life and start rushing round claiming someone is "The One" when they may not even feel the same way.

Now Love is completely different, Love is something I do believe in, and I do believe thats its impossible to control who you fall for, but my definition of "Love" is completely different from most peoples definitions:

1. Do you care deeply about this person on an emotional level?

2. Do you trust the person entirely? (able to put any doubts out of mind because you know the doubts are unfounded)

3. Can you picture yourself just being with this person without actually thinking about sex?

4. When you are apart from this person do you miss them on a personal level?

5. Are you able to put there needs/desires above your own?

As for Love itself, well, thats for another day and another thread :)

Tis an interesting question that's for sure. I do however believe in fate. I do believe that everything happens for a reason, I do believe in a soul mate, I believe in the afterlife, I believe in karma(do unto others as you would have others do unto you). I don't attend church but I do believe in God/Satan, Heaven/Hell. Will I eventually attend? Maybe, maybe not. I honestly don't know. And that's okay with me. I feel like God knows I'm a good person, and that He knows I have a caring heart. At the end of the day I just feel like a plan is mapped out for all of us and we are following it how it was written.

Back