Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
It was brought to my attention a couple of weeks ago (during the SB FF Trivia Quiz) that the part of Jenova that Kadaj, Yahoo and Loz were after was Jenova's neck, as opposed to her head.

At the time of learning this it struck me as odd as my memory of the film was that they only ever call it her head.

At the time of learning this bit of trivia I immediately took to the internet to find out and found out that this isn't common knowledge, but something only a few people seem to know about. FF Wikia believed it was Jenova's head. The ony references I could find on the internet to it being her neck were posts on discussion forums who had seemingly got their knowledge from some higher power or secret source.

I just watched the film again today (partly because of hearing about this and wanting to see if I could see any hints at it at all) and found that they still do call it her head (first said I think by Vincent in the Forgotten City, then repeated by many of the other charaters such as Reno and Rude later on in the film).

So it being her neck obviously isn't very widely known or made explicit enough in the film.

So my questions are...

Where does it state that it is Jenova's neck? If not actually in AC, was it revealed in some form of Ultimania? Or was it just revealed by one of the writers or developers following an interview or statement about the film?

Another question is... Did you ever know it was her neck and not her head? Or is this surprising news to you?

I know it doesn't mean much to the story really, but them searching for a slice of Jenova's neck makes it seem a lot lamer than searching for her decapitated head. :awesome:

hmm it is news to me, if it was her neck the question goes as to where her neck is, after watching the film i swear it was a head but hey i dont really pay much attention to decapitated heads that much but might do next time i watch it.

as for it being its neck, well if its true we may see another return of jenova, however i hope not as i personally think the ffVII series has conme to an end and if anything should make a game to clear the whole genesis thing who appeared at the end of FF7 dirge of serberus secret ending and was in crisis core, only coz i think they shouldnt leave a story hanging

Jenova's...neck? o_O

Whoa, if that's true, that really surprises me. I've always assumed it was her head, especially since Sephiroth was holding the dang thing after he went crazy in Nibelhiem.

I'm not an ace in biology, but wouldn't the head be more important than the neck anyways? :huh:

Jenova's...neck? o_O

Whoa, if that's true, that really surprises me. I've always assumed it was her head, especially since Sephiroth was holding the dang thing after he went crazy in Nibelhiem.

I'm not an ace in biology, but wouldn't the head be more important than the neck anyways? :huh:

That's what I thought. I had assumed it was the same head we saw Sephiroth take with him following the Nibelhiem incident.
But apparantly it was the neck in the movie they were fighting over. Whether it broke off from the head during the course of FF7 I'm not sure.

And I thought the head would be more important too, however she is an alien and perhaps something might be different with her neck or it possesses power or something. That or the head was destroyed or lost.

I remember that the first time I watched Advent Children was off of a copy I received from a friend before it was released outside of Japan. In that copy, the subtitles referred to it as Jenova's neck. If you think about it, isn't that box too small for Jenova's head to fit inside? That is unless the head is crushed somewhat.

I don't think that any one body part is more important than the other when it comes to Jenova. If you think back to the FFVII, Sephiroth took Jenova's head during the mission at Nibelheim, but Sephiroth was thrown into the lifestream by Cloud along with Jenova's head. During the course of the game, Sephiroth is controlling the different body parts of Jenova and shaping them in his form. All of the Jenova fights in the game are fights with Jenova's various body parts. This is why I believe that one small body part can possess great strength, so not much else is needed. That is also why I believe that Kadaj could become Sephiroth by using only the neck.

I have one theory as to why it could be the neck that was found. As I said before, Sepiroth fell into the lifestream along with Jenova's head during the game. One possibility is that Sephiroth cut Jenova's head off from its shoulders, leaving the neck still attached to the head. It is also possible that Jenova's head deteriorated over the course of the two years between FFVII and Advent Children leaving only the neck remaining.

I remember that the first time I watched Advent Children was off of a copy I received from a friend before it was released outside of Japan. In that copy, the subtitles referred to it as Jenova's neck.

So the English voice overs contained a mistranslation and mixed it up?

If you think about it, isn't that box too small for Jenova's head to fit inside? That is unless the head is crushed somewhat.

That's what I'd thought had happened. I'd thought that since Jenova was an alien, and a shapeshifting one at that, her head could easily fit the box.

The neck would easily fit the box anyway, though the box might now be too big, unless it is full neck. I imagined whatever was in the box realy filled it as when it is shot an sliced at it bleeds juice really easily so it isn't really protected by lots of layers of protection in that thing.

I don't think that any one body part is more important than the other when it comes to Jenova. If you think back to the FFVII, Sephiroth took Jenova's head during the mission at Nibelheim, but Sephiroth was thrown into the lifestream by Cloud along with Jenova's head. During the course of the game, Sephiroth is controlling the different body parts of Jenova and shaping them in his form. All of the Jenova fights in the game are fights with Jenova's various body parts. This is why I believe that one small body part can possess great strength, so not much else is needed. That is also why I believe that Kadaj could become Sephiroth by using only the neck.

True. Any part of Jenova is important and can transform / do different things.

Another thing I've just thought up... Now that it is the neck, that scene with Kadaj
crying at the sliced box at how his mother was partly ruined
seems even worse now that he wasn't looking in on Jenova's sliced up face but rather a neck with a cut in it. :brooding:

So the English voice overs contained a mistranslation and mixed it up?
Well, I don't know if it was an official sub or a fan-made one, so the version I saw could have been a mistranslation, too.

Another thing I've just thought up... Now that it is the neck, that scene with Kadaj
crying at the sliced box at how his mother was partly ruined
seems even worse now that he wasn't looking in on Jenova's sliced up face but rather a neck with a cut in it. :brooding:
roflmao

Unless it's been revealed by the creators in some sort of Ultimania I'm more inclined to believe it's Jenova's head. In my version of the movie it states that it's Jenova's head and not her neck. I think it's possible it was a mistranslation on a fan's part.

here I go again

Yeah I seen the same Jap eng sub and it was the neck. So I have to ask the original poster, have you seen the sub titled version before it was released in the US?

If there's a subtitled version before it was released in the US then it's most likely fansubbed. I'd be more willing to trust an official subbed version (you can watch the Japanese/English Subbed version on your copy of AC if you have one) than I would a fansubbed version. It kinda makes me wanna pull out my copy and watch that particular scene in Japanese subtitled just to see what it says.

Is it possible that there was neither head nor neck in the box? Rufus hid it from Kadaj, and when Kadaj finally got a peek in the church, he was rather upset. We never see any kind of body art, just a liquid filled with Jenova cells.

Perhaps Rufus took whatever was in the box for his own gain? :eek:

Just a thought xD

Back