Are you proud of where you're from?

i'm proud of where i live!

Allthough I live close to toronto(which has a rapidly escalating crime rate) The place where I live is mostly crime free. It isn't "Ghetto" but it's not the best. It's a nice city.

The worst part about it would have to be the area before downtown. not exactly the suburbs but not downtown either. it's a really desolate broken down shady feel. but then you reach downtown which is really nice.

If i had to move out of Where i live, I;d move out of the country. Denmark/Germany, please.

Not even remotely, it is bizarre that someone would take any pride in whore they happened to be ejected from their mother. Did you direct your mother towards your place of birth from the uterus? Borders have changed many times over many ages, so why take pride in where you are born when it could have been different two hundred years ago, or two hundred years from now.

I love my country a lot, I love that I was born here and I wouldn't want to be born anywhere else. I get that there are countries that have a better way of living and that Australia has a pretty shitty history when it comes to treating our native people and animals well. But I still can't help but feel a little proud of how well off we are in a country that is so new.

I think however, that I am more proud of what we used to be rather than what we are now. People have changed a lot, Australia used to be know for our happy-go-lucky attitude, mateship, our unique sense of humour, etc and I think a lot of that is lost now, well in this younger generation anyway (lookit me, man I am such an old fuddy duddy ^_^)

So while I love my country a lot and think it is definitely one of the greatest countries around, I do think it's changing for the worse :(

I used to be really proud.

But, now that I'm older and have more experiences, understand things & people a little better my perspective is different.

The internet is probably the thing which changed my worldview the most. Example - for whatever reason, when I've gamed online I've played games that have always had a massive variety of people from different countries.

One of the things I noticed is gamers from europe, finland, germany, bulgaria and assorted foreign countries are almost always better educated, nicer, more respectful and mature than gamers from america. There are exceptions, but by and large I think the precedent holds true.

If I was playing a game or stranded on a deserted island with others I needed to rely on to survive & had the option of choosing foreigners or americans, I would choose foreigners without a doubt.

I wouldn't choose americans because even if I know some of them are smart & decent people they are by far a minority and statistically I would be extremely likely to have egotistical & narcissistic, loud mouthed, scrubs who were worse than useless.

That alone makes it difficult to be proud... but, there are other examples and reasons I won't go into.. :(

In terms of my nationality and ethnicity, I 'm hella proud of where I'm from. As most of you may or may not know, I was born in New York City and I grew up in Brooklyn and in New Jersey for most of my life. I'm not loathe to admit to people that my heritage lies in the tiny island nation of Jamaica; I'm incredibly honored to belong to such a culturally diverse and inspiring group of people. That's not to say that my nationality or ethnicity is better than anyone else's of course but I am admitting that I have a lot of cultural pride. I represent the black, green, and yellow just as adamantly as I stand by the red, white, and blue of my homeland. Certainly there is evidence that my country had pilfered and historically destroyed tribal nations (i.e. Native Americans) and broken the spirits of my ancestors (i.e. various African tribes) for profit but that's unchangeable.

Surely there is also evidence that my country has participated in horrific and tragic wars that I personally don't or didn't approve of (i.e WWII, most significantly the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki & most recently, the War on Terrorism). Furthermore, every country or island nation has participated in some atrocity whether it was a civil war or a genocide or a large scale world war. Human nature has the dual makeup of good and evil with a clouded gray area in between (but that's an entirely different philosophical subject). However my patriotism and love for my fellow Americans will never die for it is a part of me, the soil I came from and will surely go back to when I die defines me. This country in all of its glory and innovation inspires me, our people were and are renown for wonderful, amazing inventions : peanut butter (lol, from George Washington Carver), peanut oil, traffic lights, the light bulb (i.e Thomas Edison), the first modern-day airplanes (the Wright Brothers), various hair care products, etc. The list goes on but it's also our capacity to be selfless, inspiring, generous human beings. I adore the creativity and inspiration of my mother's people, figures such as Bob Marley and Nanny of the Maroons awed me as a child.

What I mean to say is, to wrap up this too "omg tl;dr" post, I'm proud of where my mother "ejected" me from her womb. Had she not expelled me out of her birth canal then I would nonexistant and I would not be making strides to make a permanent mark on this world. I had no control or choice over my nationality and my ethnicity but if I loathed where I came from then I would abhor my very being, my very self, my very own flesh and blood, my relatives, and ultimately my mother. Loathing where I come from would be the greatest disrespect to myself, my relatives, and my mother and that is something I could never do. So yes, I absolutely love where I came from and I wouldn't change it for anything.

I'm very proud of who I am and where I come from. I am proud to be from New York. I've lived in 4 out of the 5 boroughs and have lived all throughout NY for almost my whole life. NY is just totally awesome to me. Nothing can compare to it. I'm also proud to be Latino. I've learned of our origins through my grandpa, and I can honestly say, he is a cool dude. I'm proud of him for everything he did in his life, including coming over here into the actual states (that are connected :wacky: ) and continuing the family.

Well, sure the USA is alright. I guess because I'm a white person so I've been pretty privileged. I was born in Houston shithole Texas which is an awful hometown oh no I hate that place so much. I grew up poor, so we lived in the ghetto side of Houston. I've moved around a bit, but I never really permanently left the state. So as far as hometown goes, not proud at all. I don't mind where I'm at now though so I guess I can be proud that i'm no longer there. Although I was born in the USA, it'd be nice to have grown up in Ireland :yay: According to my mom, my great great grandparents migrated from Ireland to the Americas to get away from Religious prosecution. Errr something on those lines. She says we used to be rich on her side of the family and owned a Castle. :lew: WHERE IS THE CASTLE MOM? WHERES MY MONEY NOW? XD she says it got taken away so I'm not technically royal anymore :rage: "i'll just give my daughter an Irish name, that'll be good enough." NO I WANT MY CASTLE I WANT AN ACCENT. I WANT TO OWN AN IRISH PUB AND GET DRUNK EVERYNIGHT. :alcoholic::ohoho:

I guess I'm proud of my nationality. I can't complain :mokken:

I'm extremely proud of my heritage as far as blood goes. I have Cherokee Indian in me, and my great great grandfather on my dads side was full blooded Cherokee.
But location? Meh. It's okay I guess. About the only good thing I can say about where I live is that I've developed long lasting friendships, and have friends that I consider brothers.

I live in a little village that has a population of maybe 2000? If you're lucky there's that many. I don't hate it here by any means, but I'm not overjoyed and over the top proud either. I'm just.... Meh.

To quote George Carlin, "I could never understand ethnic or national pride. Because to me, pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth. Being Irish isn’t a skill, it’s a fucking genetic accident. You wouldn’t say ‘I’m proud to be 5’11”. I’m proud to have a predisposition for colon cancer.’ So why the fuck would you be proud to be Irish, or proud to be Italian, or American or anything?"

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to be born here and at least not in some more violent timeframe or place, but in the grand scheme of things I'm neither proud nor shamed of my ethnic or national background.

Back