FFIX General Discussion

I never used a summon once in this game, then again minus FFVII or VIII I don't think I ever used summons or whatever Square wanted to call them, I found summons between two characters very annoying, Eiko and Garnet each had there own summons and well the logical choice I guess woulda been Garnet for she had the elemental Summons for the most part, Eiko still had some summons... Then again I thought Viv's black magic was more useful anyways.

I think its weird that Garnet got better summons than Eiko.
Eiko knew more about summons and her history, you'd think she'd have more.

I think its weird that Garnet got better summons than Eiko.
Eiko knew more about summons and her history, you'd think she'd have more.

I'm not sure I would consider Garnet's summons better. I mean, they were cooler but I think they more different. If I recall, Garnet had more the mainstream summons(Shiva, Ifrit, etc.) and Eiko had some lesser knowns(Fenrir, Carbunkle, etc.). I always looked at it as Garnet's summons were more for damage and offense and Eiko's selections were more for buffing and healing.

But Garnet's selection was way better.

What I liked was all the characters had their own backround story. What I also liked was how comedy, romance, action and drama was all fitted into the story. There is nothing I hated about this game it is awesome.

Yeah, Garnet did have all of the known summons, and in the end, they all did the same damage (for me anyways). I found that Garnet was better for me because she had more MP/her summons cost less.

Maybe I just did something different, though. :hmmm:

No you aren't. The first few times I played it, that's what I thought. It wasn't until recently, actually, that I realized I was wrong the whole time. :hmph:

For the old posts above, I made the same mistake.

For a new question: Is it worth leveling up some characters to 99? Also, what's the minimum level to defeat Ozma, or at least levels that make it easier on myself? I want to kill it on my second playthrough.

I'm not sure I would consider Garnet's summons better. I mean, they were cooler but I think they more different. If I recall, Garnet had more the mainstream summons(Shiva, Ifrit, etc.) and Eiko had some lesser knowns(Fenrir, Carbunkle, etc.). I always looked at it as Garnet's summons were more for damage and offense and Eiko's selections were more for buffing and healing.

But Garnet's selection was way better.

I agree with this. I found Eiko's summons a lot more useful, and really, I think Garnet's summons were not worth putting her in the party for.

I agree with this. I found Eiko's summons a lot more useful, and really, I think Garnet's summons were not worth putting her in the party for.

I think that when you first meet Eiko she can be the more useful summoner, especially with Phoenix, but by disc 4 I reckon Garnet is the better choice once you get Ark, not only for the crazy damage you can do, but also because you can use auto-regen to heal your entire party completely during the animation because of how ridiculously long it is.

For the old posts above, I made the same mistake.

For a new question: Is it worth leveling up some characters to 99? Also, what's the minimum level to defeat Ozma, or at least levels that make it easier on myself? I want to kill it on my second playthrough.

There isn't a minimum level as such, Ozma is killable even with a level 1 party. Having said that, being level 50+ helps just due to having the extra AP (you'll want clear headed, auto regen and antibody in particular). Also, having one character with a level divisible by 4 and another by 5 will make it easier on you. For that reason, you won't want a full party of level 99 characters for Ozma ideally. There isn't much point in level 99 characters anyway, unless you really want that for the sake of completion.

I think that when you first meet Eiko she can be the more useful summoner, especially with Phoenix, but by disc 4 I reckon Garnet is the better choice once you get Ark, not only for the crazy damage you can do, but also because you can use auto-regen to heal your entire party completely during the animation because of how ridiculously long it is.

That's sneaky. I wouldn't want to waste my time with her in my party to get to a point in which she can be a formidable character. Given that, hypocrisy said, I never use Eiko anyhow.

Did anyone else not use summons throughout the game? I found using summons was unnecessary.
I haven't used summons at all during one of my playthroughs. They really aren't necessary. I used Eiko/Garnet for healing and defensive spells primarily. As for Quina, she is very useful for level grinding on Grand Dragons. It's a great way to not only level up early, but also a great way to preemptively build up Freya's Dragon Crest power. Not to mention the occasional GD card which can really help out during the card tournament.

I play with Freya on my team as soon as I get her and keep her on the team as often as possible. Usually my team consists of Zidane, Freya, Vivi/Steiner, & Garnet/Eiko. I tend not to really use Steiner once I get Freya, but I make sure to level him none the less for those times when I have to use him (Battle for Alexandria, Kuja's little 'quest', Garnet's little adventure, etc.). I love Steiner as a character, but I find Freya much more useful.

For me, the summons were nice, but not necessary. That didn't stop me from using them at every opportunity, though. Seriously, I loved watching the full-time animations (Pumice Piece ftw!), and it was great fun just watching Bahamut blow shit up. But those were really the only reasons I used them; yeah, they did lots of damage, but I could do just as much or more with Vivi's spells and for a cheaper cost, even with the Half MP ability stone. And against bosses,
especially Deathguise, Kuja, and Necron
, spells like Flare were just infinitely better.

Doesn't stop the summons and their effects from being interesting, though. I enjoyed messing around with Eiko's Fenrir, Phoenix, and Carbuncle. They changed with the items being held, so it was really fun to experiment with them.

Thank god i replayed the game recently cuz i found out alot of things i would've never known. For example the Ark summon. Never even knew about it not one bit. And i finally figured out how to engage hades in a fight, by the by, he's now my official biggest pain in the ass fight. Two cleaves and my party was toast on my first try. I was forced to level up intensely before fighting him. And i also never knew about the doomsday attack. And unlike last time, i was able to learn Climhazzard and Shock for Steiner.

I resumed my game yesterday, playing Triple Triad in Treno (which was so fun!! :cheer), speeding through Alexandria is Steiner with Beatrix close at hand, summoning Alexander, looking for lots of potions... (I'm being vague to keep this spoiler free ;))

I had forgotten how utterly fantastic the characters are! Zidane is wonderful! He's charming, thoughtful, brave and quite humble deep down. He's a little immature, but has grown tremendously by this poin in the game! Garnet has matured too. She admits she's vulnerable, she's strong-willed, intelligent and consdierate. She isn't prudish anymore as she was towards the beginning of the game. :lew: Steiner is still good ol' Steiner, but he's softened up a bit as he's come to terms with his feelings for a certain strong, independent lady! :grin: Then we have Vivi and Eiko, who are two sweet, innocent children, both trying to find their way in the world, both doing all they can to help Zidane and Garnet. Both of these characters exude a very pure, beautiful form of love. Quina is as fun as ever. Freya is distant and her character has faded somewhat since Burmecia, but I suppose that's only natural as she's in mourning. :hmmm:

The story is amazing! I couldn't possibly rank it below Final Fantasy X, so it's going to have to shoot up my personal 'favourites' list to join FFVIII, X and XIII-2!

Oh how I love this game so much. Me posting about it now is making me want to play it again. But I have 8 ( :wacky: ) other FFs to finish too. I wonder if I can beat them all during this up coming summer. :hmmm: anyway, this game is hella dope. I really miss playing it. The characters were so lovable! XD

The characters are what make this game. Easily the best characters of any Final Fantasy game. Amarant is probably my favorite. I love his personal philosophy.

I've been pretty upmped up to give FFIX a new start recently and figured yesterday was the perfect day. Off of work, no one home, all my errands complete.

So I set up my tv, brought my PS1 out of the attic and hooked up it...

...And now I can't find my copy of FFIX or my PS1 memory card. I've got some treasure hunting to do today...

Back